Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
OK, this has probably been answered already, but ... how much of the new features do the 5G iPods get from software updates?

That is, the tech specs page for the 5G iPod list things such as 3.5 hours video playback and 640x480 h.264 @ 1.5mb, whereas the refurb store lists 2 hours of video and 320x240 @ 768kbps h.264 for the same iPod (30gb iPod video).

So, the question is if a 30gb iPod video from the refirb store, after being updated with the latest firmware will get 3+ hours of video playback or 2 and will it play 640x480 1.5mb h.264 video (as well as whatever else was added to the new revision of the iPod video)?

Thanks!

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
If I remember correctly, the newer 5G iPods have the search feature, which is not in the updates for the older 5Gs. I think they the older ones to get better battery life with the firmware updates, but I don't know if that's been confirmed. Both do play the new 640x480 video formats though.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
If I remember correctly, the newer 5G iPods have the search feature, which is not in the updates for the older 5Gs. I think they the older ones to get better battery life with the firmware updates, but I don't know if that's been confirmed. Both do play the new 640x480 video formats though.

Thanks for replying, that was helpful. 640x480 and higher bitrates are the primary upgrades in my book - better battery life is of course important. On that note, I noticed that only the video and photo playback times changed from 5G to 5.5G, and the music playback stayed the same 14/20 hours. That would seem to me to mean that the actual battery capacity stayed the same and the software was updated for more efficient video decoding.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I bought a refurb 60gig iPod from the Apple online store. I think the original video playback time was something like 3.5 hours or so. I updated my iPod to the latest firmware and I definitely get much longer playback time. I use my iPod at work and I usually have a movie going so I can listen to it as I work at my computer. I could easily watch 2 movies and then listen to music and still the battery would not be in the red.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.