PDA

View Full Version : Macrumors needs a contest!!!!

applemacdude
May 22, 2003, 09:54 PM
Macrumors needs a contest!!!!

Enough said...any ideas...?

scem0
May 22, 2003, 10:02 PM
So true, so true. But there has already been a thread for discussing a new contest, and nothing interesting showed up.:(

MrMacMan
May 22, 2003, 10:03 PM
The Contest:

The First person who comes up with a good idea first wins the contest!

Now Get Cracking!

tazo
May 22, 2003, 10:09 PM
Most constructive spammer: who posts the most but puts an extra something into every post?

applemacdude
May 22, 2003, 10:14 PM
messiest desktop contest

Mr. Anderson
May 22, 2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by tazo
Most constructive spammer: who posts the most but puts an extra something into every post?

don't even think about it - that's the fastest way to a closed thread ;)

spam (http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python/Sounds/spam_song.au)

D

tazo
May 22, 2003, 10:31 PM
Ok, I thought we were recommending categories we could judge others on the site on, and eventually award a quazi-award to them for it.

Am I wrong?

edit: rephrased so it makes sense

LimeiBook86
May 22, 2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by applemacdude
messiest desktop contest
HA! I'll win on my phisical desktop and my G3 MiniTower's Desktop, hahaha...:) :rolleyes:

applemacdude
May 22, 2003, 10:40 PM
what about biggest ass of all time award...

MrMacMan
May 22, 2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
don't even think about it - that's the fastest way to a closed thread ;)

spam (http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python/Sounds/spam_song.au)

D

But we all love Spam! ;)

LimeiBook86
May 22, 2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
But we all love Spam! ;)
Lady 1"...eeeeeewwwwww!"
Lady 2"What do you meen eeeewwwww I don't like SPAM!" -Monty Python HAHAHAHA...:D

LimeiBook86
May 22, 2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by applemacdude
what about biggest ass of all time award...
hhhhmmmmmm... Maybe I'll win that one too :p <pokes fatty butt> lol ;)

applemacdude
May 22, 2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by LimeiBook86
hhhhmmmmmm... Maybe I'll win that one too :p <pokes fatty butt> lol ;)

lol:)

Bengt77
May 23, 2003, 07:59 AM
We could do that. Of course, Arn would have to agree, but still. We could do it, just for fun, couldn't we? Arn wouldn't have to do anything with the designs, but he could declare a winner in the end. And maybe the designs will be so good that it will end up as being the new official logo anyway?!

Anyone? Good idee?

:confused:

wdlove
May 23, 2003, 11:14 AM
Why not have another Avatar contest? There are alot of newbies that would like a try at the title?

jelloshotsrule
May 23, 2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by wdlove
Why not have another Avatar contest? There are alot of newbies that would like a try at the title?

the second avatar contest is long overdue.

xj9000
May 23, 2003, 11:34 AM
This might not be the best place to present my contest idea, but here it goes.

To help the switch campaign we could try to enter people's names who currently want to switch, but are afraid because of the entry price or other reasons. Each entry name would be $1 or a donation. That would go to pay for 50-75% of the winner's new mac, then the winner would be expected to donate back or nominate more people.

For $1 each we could turn more people on to apple.

The only flaw is that anyone could enter, we'd have to find a way to prove they are not already a mac user.

just a though, and i'm not sure macrumors or others would want to handle that much money? i could be wrong?

hvfsl
May 23, 2003, 11:45 AM
We could do a gaming contest, maybe ut2003 or something. It could be sponcered by some companies and the price could be a new Mac. I think I could win at UT2003 since I normally come first on the PC.

jelloshotsrule
May 23, 2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by xj9000
This might not be the best place to present my contest idea, but here it goes.

<snip>

think of how much planning and effort and whatnot this would require... would everyone paypal the $1? isn't there usually a fee with paypal? what if people decided not to donate? there's a relatively small number of active (and willing is even fewer) members here... don't think it'd work

gaming seems feasible.

Rower_CPU
May 23, 2003, 12:28 PM
Another avatar contest is in the works. Give us some time to put it all together. :)

jelloshotsrule
May 23, 2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Another avatar contest is in the works. Give us some time to put it all together. :)

it was in the works last year. ;)

does you selling out ruin our combo punch in the contest? i guess so eh?

maradong
May 23, 2003, 12:35 PM
what about an uptime contest. ? or the most beautiful background contest?

pivo6
May 23, 2003, 12:58 PM
I'd go with an avatar contest since I wasn't a member during the last one. Now all I need is some photoshop talent and a clever idea.

LimeiBook86
May 23, 2003, 01:03 PM
Yeahhh...Ummmm I use a PC (cough, cough) I need a new Mac :p This 466mhz Lime iBook isn't fast anymore...WHOOPS! :rolleyes: :D :cool:

Rower_CPU
May 23, 2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
it was in the works last year. ;)

does you selling out ruin our combo punch in the contest? i guess so eh?

Nah, I don't have to be a judge. ;)

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2003, 03:57 PM

Exactly - if we can get the thing rolling we'll use the same judges as last time if they're game.

D

wdlove
May 23, 2003, 04:08 PM

I do hope that the Avatar contest will return, sounds like a great idea! Would you like to be a judge Rower_CPU?

Who else should we ask to be judges? Any volunteers? ;)

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2003, 04:14 PM
For the last avatar contest Eyelikeart, Backtothmac and Dukestreet were the judges. I'm thinking that will be the same unless we need to change it or any of the judges don't want to participate.

D

GeneR
May 23, 2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
But we all love Spam! ;)

Actually, Spam with short grained white rice is really good! I think people in Hawaii are suppose to love the stuff. I think there's a name for it. Think: sushi without the fish but with spam instead.

O boy, now I'm hungry. Gotta go... :D

Rower_CPU
May 23, 2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by GeneR
Actually, Spam with short grained white rice is really good! I think people in Hawaii are suppose to love the stuff. I think there's a name for it. Think: sushi without the fish but with spam instead.

Spam musubi. That stuff is awesome, and I should know. I ate many during my years on the Big Island.

wdlove
May 23, 2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by GeneR

My wife buys vegetarian sushi at our local, it tastes great. It's very healthy. Have always been afraid of real sushi r/t the raw meat and the possibility of parasites. Now my mouth is watering! ;)

Doctor Q
May 23, 2003, 04:59 PM
Spam musubi. That stuff is awesome, and I should know. I ate many during my years on the Big Island. Sounds better than poi!

Ideas for a contest:

1. Best post to a specific thread started just for the contest, e.g., "How I use my Mac to benefit mankind." It could run for a week.

2a. Most generous member, for the highest donation made to MacRumors on the contest day. A rich fatcat wins, and so does MacRumors.

2b. Least generous member, for the best excuse for being a non-donor.

My favorite:

3. No-reason contest. Polls open for a single 24-hour period. Each member can vote at most once. You vote by posting a member name with no other text, explanation, excuse, or reason. Highest votes win 1st place, 2nd place, etc. At the conclusion, arn deletes the whole thread to eliminate all the clutter of hundreds of one-word posts and posts a new thread with the resulting tally, thereby generating an ensuing controversy about voter fraud and hanging chads.

tazo
May 23, 2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q

3. No-reason contest. Polls open for a single 24-hour period. Each member can vote at most once. You vote by posting a member name with no other text, explanation, excuse, or reason. Highest votes win 1st place, 2nd place, etc. At the conclusion, arn deletes the whole thread to eliminate all the clutter of hundreds of one-word posts and posts a new thread with the resulting tally, thereby generating an ensuing controversy about voter fraud and hanging chads.

I like it :)

MacFan25
May 23, 2003, 10:00 PM
Yes, an avatar contest would be nice. I wasnt here for the last one, but I think that there would be a lot of participants if there was another contest.

wdlove
May 24, 2003, 11:11 AM
Now that several individuals would like to see another Avatar contest, all we need is for arn to agree!

jelloshotsrule
May 24, 2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by wdlove
Now that several individuals would like to see another Avatar contest, all we need is for arn to agree!

i'm pretty sure it's just a matter of when, not if...

and i think in this case, it's probably a matter of organizing it, which i'm guessing mr. anderson would be doing, seeing as he did it last time and seems to get acharge out of it. ;)

wdlove
May 24, 2003, 05:01 PM
For the last avatar contest Eyelikeart, Backtothmac and Dukestreet were the judges. I'm thinking that will be the same unless we need to change it or any of the judges don't want to participate.

D

So how long will it be till the next Avatar Contest will start Mr. Anderson? ;)

Moxiemike
May 24, 2003, 06:05 PM

D

i'd gladly volunteer to judge.

Moxiemike
May 24, 2003, 06:10 PM
sorry to double post... but we do seem to have a lot of photographers here... what if we did some sort of weekly or monthly photography challenge or something.

That would be pretty darn hot.

Have the voting done by poll. And maybe give away some PS actions that people have written or something.... i dunno. brainstorm with me. :)

Of course, mr. eye would win every one... but.... ;)

Mr. Anderson
May 24, 2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Moxiemike

ah, hello, he wouldn't win *every* one ;)

Sounds good but a very small subset of the community would be involved. One of the biggest set backs to this whole thing is that members, demis or even mods can't make polls. (well, mods can but not how you might imagine and its a royal pain in the ass)

For a contest, I'd like to see suggestions on how we could effectively judge the entries.

The last contest was the Switch Ad contest and that was done by polls. The original avatar contest was done off line by the judges, but it was a ton of work to get everything done.

D

wdlove
May 24, 2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Moxiemike
sorry to double post... but we do seem to have a lot of photographers here... what if we did some sort of weekly or monthly photography challenge or something.

That would be pretty darn hot.

Have the voting done by poll. And maybe give away some PS actions that people have written or something.... i dunno. brainstorm with me. :)

Monthly would probably be a good idea, but we will have to wait and see what arn, eyelikeart, and of course not least of all Mr. Anderson? I wouldn't mind assisting also! ;)

MrMacMan
May 25, 2003, 12:41 AM
I think this thread dies untill the higher authority respond and say something to the affect of 'we are opening _____ contest'