Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Legacy user

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2003
I'm real new to this so I'm probably not following Forum rules, So here it goes:

If the rumors of the IBM 970 chip are true, then this is actually bigger than OS X. Why? Because every Mac has had the Motorola chip in it since 1984. So this really, really big. Most of you young folks probably didn't know that.

Now the paradigm shift is that it will be in IBM's interest that Apples sells as many Macs as it can. Every mac sold has one of their chips in it right? So IBM will want to pushing for Apple to increase sales as it means revenue To them too.

Here is the clever part: IBM is kind of out of the desktop market, They still have them but are pushing their Laptops (I guess everyone is actually) As IBM is kind of defaulting to Linux. The relationship between Linux and Unix is pretty close from what I understand, so there are alot of things that Apple and IBM could do for each other with respect to Enterprise systems as IBM does really have the mainframe computer stuff down..

This kind of is the direction Apple needs to go to stay in the computer business: IBM does the big stuff, but every Terminal is a stand alone Mac (with an IBM chip in it of course) This puts Apple units out there, and apple market share goes up as hospitals, factories, banks, insurance companies etc. all start putting macs on their desk because the mainframe vendor (IBM) sells them that way.......So thats the enterprise stuff.

Now to simply grab market share, What about a $499 laptop, say the Ibook with that Motorola 'Gobi G3 running a1.5 meg? That and a good graphics card, 30 gig hard drive, a sensible amount of ram (512K expandible to 1 meg) is all that about 95% of most computer users need anyway. For surfing the web, downloading music, editing the kid's soccergame on Imovie, or whatever, online banking a couple of games, who needs big power?

I can see the deal now - I-pod and laptop - $899. At your Apple store now..... Blister pack it and premium it out with Apple care, an extra battery and it could be a $1200 deal.. I bet even target and Best Buy would want to endcap that one... would want to sell a deal like that. Now thats a way to increase marketshare..... Me? As I am an old geezer, I would simply go for the $499 Ibook.

If this is way off, tell me why. I'm not basing this on anything I know from anybody at Apple or anything. jeez I only have a 350 non firewire IMac...... So not really in the 'know' on anything. I haven't even gone to System X yet..

Well it will be interesting to see the response. I hope I'm ok with respect to forum rules as this is my first post ever.... Not even sure how to check if anyone responds........:rolleyes:

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Originally posted by Legacy user
I'm real new to this so I'm probably not following Forum rules, So here it goes:

If the rumors of the IBM 970 chip are true, then this is actually bigger than OS X. Why? Because every Mac has had the Motorola chip in it since 1984. So this really, really big. Most of you young folks probably didn't know that.

Now the paradigm shift is that it will be in IBM's interest that Apples sells as many Macs as it can. Every mac sold has one of their chips in it right? So IBM will want to pushing for Apple to increase sales as it means revenue To them too.

Here is the clever part: IBM is kind of out of the desktop market, They still have them but are pushing their Laptops (I guess everyone is actually) As IBM is kind of defaulting to Linux. The relationship between Linux and Unix is pretty close from what I understand, so there are alot of things that Apple and IBM could do for each other with respect to Enterprise systems as IBM does really have the mainframe computer stuff down..

This kind of is the direction Apple needs to go to stay in the computer business: IBM does the big stuff, but every Terminal is a stand alone Mac (with an IBM chip in it of course) This puts Apple units out there, and apple market share goes up as hospitals, factories, banks, insurance companies etc. all start putting macs on their desk because the mainframe vendor (IBM) sells them that way.......So thats the enterprise stuff.

Well, this is probably the wrong place to post this as its sort of off topic, but hell, thats a great idea. The integration with the systems would have to be worked on (a lot) but otherwise it seems like a good idea. Though the problem is, IBM would not really care so much about apple selling a lot of machines (dont get me wrong, im sure IBM want all the money they can get) but its only a small part of their income, if they were to force users to switch to using mac terminals when all their employees are used to PCs who is to say they wont go to DELL or SUN or somebody for their mainframe instead?

razorme

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Calgary, AB
I'm pretty sure the combo iBook was $1899 Cdn yesterday - now it is $1999!

eMac US $1299 Cdn $1899
iBook US $1299 Cdn $1999

Apple Canada must charge whatever they feel like. The exchange rates vary from $0.625 to $0.684 right now. The real exchange rate is $0.73 US/Cdn.

Buggers!

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
every Mac has had the Motorola chip in it since 1984. So this really, really big. Most of you young folks probably didn't know that.

Don't tell my iBook that.

(It's running an IBM G3, and I don't want to hurt its feelings)

Greenlightboi

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2003
Philadelphia

Now to simply grab market share, What about a $499 laptop, say the Ibook with that Motorola 'Gobi G3 running a1.5 meg? That and a good graphics card, 30 gig hard drive, a sensible amount of ram (512K expandible to 1 meg) is all that about 95% of most computer users need anyway. For surfing the web, downloading music, editing the kid's soccergame on Imovie, or whatever, online banking a couple of games, who needs big power?

I can see the deal now - I-pod and laptop - $899. At your Apple store now..... Blister pack it and premium it out with Apple care, an extra battery and it could be a $1200 deal.. I bet even target and Best Buy would want to endcap that one... would want to sell a deal like that. Now thats a way to increase marketshare..... Me? As I am an old geezer, I would simply go for the $499 Ibook.

Well it will be interesting to see the response. I hope I'm ok with respect to forum rules as this is my first post ever.... Not even sure how to check if anyone responds........:rolleyes:

Hey, I'm a young folk and I know more then you :). Apple has used IBM chips in plenty of their systems, ever since the it started to use the PowerPC. It is you who doesn't know that Motorola was only exclusive to Apple when it used 68k chips and the G4. And your pricing is absurd... Although high chip prices do drive the cost of Apple's up a little, it is not the only factor. we will never see a 500$ iBook with a GOOD video chip and FAST processor.... just wont happen. To much engineering costs for Apple to give them away.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I think he means "Pure IBM".
Ok, so today's Sahara G3 (and Gobi G3) are from IBM, but still the G3 was introduced as an AIM-chip.
This 970 will be the first chip entirely created and manufactured without any "help" from Motorola.

By the way, I was just viewing some good old Apple commercials (before 1990), and it's so obvious that IBM was the "DEVIL".... (Lemmings?, SupreBowl?, and so on)
How times change. :D

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
Originally posted by MacsRgr8
I think he means "Pure IBM".

I don't know. "Every Mac has had the Motorola chip" aounds like he was saying "pure Motorola."

And to say the 970 is made without help from Moto isn't really true. They've been integral in the development of the PowerPC chips for years because of the AIm alliance; you can't simply discount that work and input. Fact is, without Moto, there woulod be no 970.

Legacy user

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2003
Stand Corrected

I forgot about the AIM alliance and clearly I don't know nearly as much as My young friend about the IBM/ Motorola CPU and what is in every model. So thanks educating me...

But I don't believe that a $499 is out of line for a well made laptop such as the Ibook. Look how much they have come down in two years. Think back on Cell phones, Digital Camers, Flat panel cameras etc. etc. I still maintain a low cost /full featured laptop would be a great way to increase market share..... Apple offering High quality at Wintel prices. Even if they its a 'loss leader' it would put more units out there, and Apple needs to do that.....

:cool:

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia

You do realise the Gobi G3 is an IBM, and 512KB of RAM is NOT a "sensible amount" considering we talk about 512MB these days. (If you're really slow and have no idea what I'm on about, note the difference between the KB and MB)

tazo

macrumors 68040
I highly doubt Apple is going to be able to sell a 500 dollar laptop, maybe a 699, but never 500 bux.

In the pc world 500 dollars in a laptop basically buys you 5 gig hard drive, 12'' screen, maybe a dvd drive, ethernet, windows98. I dont see how apple could give like a good processor, big hard drive, latest OS, all the iApps, a beatiful LCD display, and make any money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.