Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
I have a 60gb iPod Video re-furb that I have had for about 3 months. On two separate occasions, I have had the same "lock-up" problem. Seems to sort of happen the same way each time. Synch in iTunes, synch completes, dismount the iPod when it is able to be disconnected, and the iPod does not respond to the touch pad, either to play or to turn off. I can't get it to play, or scroll through tracks, and more importantly, I can't turn it off. Of course the old handy iPod reset trick doesn't work either at this point. The way I have got it back was by leaving it turned on so that the battery finally wears down. Once the battery gives out, I can usually get the iPod to respond to the normal "turn on" touch.
A co worker has an older iPod, and he claims that his does this same thing all the time now. His claim is that the problem keeps getting worse.
Once I get the iPod to respond to touch so I can do everything normally, I recharge it completely and it continues to work fine. Like I said, this has only happened to me twice.
I have an Apple extended warranty, so I wonder if this is something I should maybe contact them about, or is it more likely just a little once in awhile glitch that other people have seen from time to time.

iBrandi

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2007
If you have the warranty I would definately call them or go by the Apple store. That is what you are paying for. They should be able to let you know whats wrong and replace it if necessary. :apple:

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Ack. My 5.5g does this too. Usually toggling the hold switch and plugging it in an out in combination with trying to reset it works. I've only had to let it drain once.

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
If you have the warranty I would definately call them or go by the Apple store. That is what you are paying for. They should be able to let you know whats wrong and replace it if necessary. :apple:

Good point. I think I will do just that. I just wonder if they are going to think I am crazy if the iPod isn't having the same problem at the time that I take it in. Always hard to get any type of service on intermittent problems.

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
Ack. My 5.5g does this too. Usually toggling the hold switch and plugging it in an out in combination with trying to reset it works. I've only had to let it drain once.

I'll have to try all that next time. Flipping the hold switch has not seemed to do anything at all. I was a bit afraid to plug it in and out because it might mess it up worse (that's rather hard to believe now that I look back at it). Thanks for the tips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.