Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I would like to resize my Windows partition to make more room on my Mac OS X partition. What is the best way to go about this without going through bootcamp? How well well does iPartition work?

jnagel

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2006
you're going to have to reinstall windows. you can't just "resize" a partition. best bet is to make a backup image of your current windows installation and then redo it

P.S. iPartition only works for HFS+ (Mac OS extended file system), not for FAT or NTFS (Windows file systems)

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
You don't have to reinstall Windows (probably). I resize Windows partitions all the time with the GParted LiveCD. Works wonderfully, I just used it earlier this week.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
You don't have to reinstall Windows (probably). I resize Windows partitions all the time with the GParted LiveCD. Works wonderfully, I just used it earlier this week.
The real question is whether or not resizing affects the ability to use the Boot Camp Wizard. In the past, after touching my partitions the Boot Camp Wizard would no longer restore the volume to one partition.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
The real question is whether or not resizing affects the ability to use the Boot Camp Wizard. In the past, after touching my partitions the Boot Camp Wizard would no longer restore the volume to one partition.

That is the million dollar question. I suspect you're right, that any messing with the partitions will piss off Boot Camp. I just searched around on Google for awhile and couldn't find any mention of anyone doing this. If someone wants to be brave and try it...

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I want to verify that you have used GParted LiveCD on a Macintel computer to resize the Boot Camp partition. Is this correct?

islandman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
I want to verify that you have used GParted LiveCD on a Macintel computer to resize the Boot Camp partition. Is this correct?

I haven't used GParted for Boot Camp, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Do you have a backup? If so, you have nothing to lose.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I haven't used GParted for Boot Camp, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Do you have a backup? If so, you have nothing to lose.

I do not have a backup.

So basically, there's really no easy way to do it?

Does GParted resize the OS X partition as well?

bur40win

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2007
tried it

I tried resizing my windows partition with no success. I wanted to shrink it and create a third FAT32 partition so that I could share files easier between the OS's, however, if I shrinked the windows partition using GParted then windows was no longer able to boot. I still want to try doing it one more way, but it's obviously a time consuming process (reformat the entire disk, Carbon Copy Clone MacOSX from my backup on an external drive, run boot-camp, install windows, resize the partition, fail again and curse some more)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I tried resizing my windows partition with no success. I wanted to shrink it and create a third FAT32 partition so that I could share files easier between the OS's, however, if I shrinked the windows partition using GParted then windows was no longer able to boot. I still want to try doing it one more way, but it's obviously a time consuming process (reformat the entire disk, Carbon Copy Clone MacOSX from my backup on an external drive, run boot-camp, install windows, resize the partition, fail again and curse some more)
Thanks for the feedback.

I completely understand the time that it takes. I've installed Windows so many times that I have the code memorized -- backwards and forwards! :)

Spike099

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2007
Canada
NTFS Backup?

I got a question... Would it not be possible to make a backup of the windows NTFS partition using disk utilities? Wipe the windows partition, make it smaller than restore the partition using disk utilities of course?

m1ss1ontomars

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2006
That is the million dollar question. I suspect you're right, that any messing with the partitions will piss off Boot Camp. I just searched around on Google for awhile and couldn't find any mention of anyone doing this. If someone wants to be brave and try it...

Libparted can apparently shrink HFS+ partitions but can't grow them (i.e. make them take up any free space on the drive). Go figure.

Neruda

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2007
resizeVolume command

Partitions can be resized on the fly using the diskutil resizeVolume command from the terminal. I hesitate recommending this if you are a Unix noob, however, this link contains pretty good instructions.

Unix is your friend.

wizkidweb

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
If you use the Windows install disk and repair the OS after resizing the partition with GParted, it should work again. I've done this multiple times and it has worked for me.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
I got a question... Would it not be possible to make a backup of the windows NTFS partition using disk utilities? Wipe the windows partition, make it smaller than restore the partition using disk utilities of course?

If you want to re-size your bootcamp partition use winclone to make an image of partition. Then use bootcamp assistant to restore and then repartition the disk to the size you want. And then use the winclone to restore the partition with the image you made. Winclone restores the file system and everything that you previously had on your windows system.

patrickmcmotrik

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2011
Resizing 2 windows partitions

I have a MacBook Pro I use for Windows - and only Windows. OS X is mandatorily installed but I never use and when I power on the Mac I start directly in W7.

I have the Mac partition + the bootcamp partition (NTFS) with my W7 installation + a partition (NTFS) I use for my data.

I want to reduce the data partition size and add the freed space to the bootcamp partition.

How to do ?

PS:
I also want to make an image of the 2 NTFS partitions before resizing. Acronis True Image and Acronis Disk Director v11 cannot handle my requirements. Anybody who has experience with other utility tools that handles my 2 jobs ?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I also want to make an image of the 2 NTFS partitions before resizing. Acronis True Image and Acronis Disk Director v11 cannot handle my requirements. Anybody who has experience with other utility tools that handles my 2 jobs ?

Holy thread resurrection Batman! We have a guide for that around here now. http://guides.macrumors.com/Extend_or_Resize_Boot_Camp_Partition

Acronis True Image Home should do it as long as you have the "Plus Pack", otherwise you can use a Gparted/Clonezilla Live disc like http://partedmagic.com/doku.php.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.