PDA

View Full Version : iPod mini battery replacement

tiggle
Feb 3, 2007, 10:31 PM
My i pod mini battery has died. It was the first i pod mini, i bought it just before they brought out the 6g mini. Not sure how long ago it was, but it doesn't seem like long enough for the amount of money charged. Apple say they will charge me to look at it..and then charge me around $100 US to replace it. As they are not made anymore, does anyone know what will happen. Will I get a refurbished one? Will I get mine back with a new battery? Will I get a nano in return?

As a second question..are there still battery problems with i pods? Given that technology has moved on so much since I bought my mini, I am tempted to get a new model, but feel less than enthusiastic about it given the battery issue.

Thanks all.

Chundles
Feb 3, 2007, 10:38 PM
My i pod mini battery has died. It was the first i pod mini, i bought it just before they brought out the 6g mini. Not sure how long ago it was, but it doesn't seem like long enough for the amount of money charged. Apple say they will charge me to look at it..and then charge me around $100 US to replace it. As they are not made anymore, does anyone know what will happen. Will I get a refurbished one? Will I get mine back with a new battery? Will I get a nano in return?

As a second question..are there still battery problems with i pods? Given that technology has moved on so much since I bought my mini, I am tempted to get a new model, but feel less than enthusiastic about it given the battery issue.

Thanks all.

There are no battery problems anymore with iPods (no space between the i and the Pod - it looks weird if you put in a space) - that was confined to the 3G iPod and was resolved with the launch of the 4th Generation iPod back in 2004.

There are 3rd party products and services that will replace the battery in any iPod, some have overnight service.

If you're in the US (most of the members are so I have to figure out where to send you on the net) check out OWC - they do a lot of Mac/iPod related upgrades and should prove to be cheaper than Apple's service.

CanadaRAM
Feb 3, 2007, 11:20 PM
Sonnet (http://www.sonnettech.com) has a do it yourself iPod Mini battery replacement kit, comes with battery, tools and an instruction video for US$19.95

tiggle
Feb 4, 2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks very much for that help guys. I think I may well give the Sonnet thing a try.

Cheers.

.JahJahwarrior.
Feb 4, 2007, 09:07 PM
Make sure when you pull out the old battery, it's connected with a tinyconnector: don't pull the part connected to the board off! Only pull off the part connected to the wires. I recently soldered a mini battery directly to the board after a lady on a diving forum I frequent pulled the entire thing off of the board, and it was neither fun nor easy! (soldering a charged battery with an old, crappy soldering iron with a bad tip)

But, changing the battery isn't too hard.

tiggle
Feb 5, 2007, 06:39 PM
Thanks very much for the warning..lol

madmaxmedia
Feb 7, 2007, 01:11 AM
www.ifixit.com also has good PDF instructions. If you use those, you can buy a battery on EBay for $10 or less shipped.

These Li-ion batteries are pretty much commodity items, so I don't think it's a big deal where you get it from.

I helped swap out a friend's iPod Mini battery with the ifixit instructions, it was pretty easy. Just read the instructions carefully so you don't forget anything (like the tip above about the connector wire.)