Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andytango

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
Hello

Does anyone know how you can lock your computer to only use one program temporarily? Strange question - I know. Here's the plan:

Im having a little party soon and Im planning on connecting my iMac to some speakers so that my friends can go and choose a song on itunes and add it to party shuffle. The problem is I don't want them to be able to read my emails and play around on my computer. So I was hoping there would be a way to make sure they can only go on itunes.

I would be very greatful for any ideas.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
purely guessing, creat a limited account, set up something in parental control?

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Yes Clevin has the answer - set up a new account, make sure its not an admin one. Using parental controls you can disable all the programs apart from iTunes. You'll have to make sure your existing account has a password on it in case anyone tries to change user. From the help files:
To change the level of access for a user's account:
Choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click Accounts.
If some settings are dimmed, click the lock icon and type an administrator name and password.
Select the user account you want to restrict and click Parental Controls.
Select the checkbox to choose the application to restrict, then click Configure.
Set the level of access you want to allow the user. Select the actions you want to allow the user to do.
IMPORTANT: Make sure the level of access you want for this user account is selected when you close the pane. The button that's selected is the one that is in effect.
Not sure, but you might also have to change your iTunes prefs to share your music with the new user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.