PDA

View Full Version : Languages

tazo
May 23, 2003, 07:01 PM
Do you speak more than one language? If so do you ever use them?

I am in my third year of Spanish, and am taking a fourth next year.

Today I really made a breakthrough in the language, when I was chatting with a hispanic person at my school, in spanish, and him callling me a little green bitch. :) A true breakthrough when the cultural and oral boundaries are broken down by swearing. :o :)

so what languages does everyone know beside their native one?

sparkleytone
May 23, 2003, 07:12 PM
i speak spanish and english of course.

i am currently working on italian and german.

next yr i start with french.

pseudobrit
May 23, 2003, 07:14 PM
Well, I think for many people here who are not from the US or the UK, they're speaking their native tongue, but it's foreign to everyone else. Just a thought for when throwing around terms like "foreign language" :)

As for me, I understand a touch of Russian, French and Gaeilge (trying to learn that one right now) and have a pretty good working knowledge of German.

jelloshotsrule
May 23, 2003, 07:15 PM
english, and i can understand some french, though not if spoken by a fast speaking french or canadian person. :)

i can speak it some too, but i've never been one for putting on accents, so i'm not great at it.

mactastic
May 23, 2003, 07:18 PM
How about "Who speaks more than one language?"
I spoke german sort of, but then stopped and have forgotten most of it. Oh and I learned how to swear like a sailor in spanish from working in a restaurant with a bunch of crazy mexican guys.

job
May 23, 2003, 07:52 PM
I speak German and English fluently.

If anyone cares...

wdlove
May 23, 2003, 08:08 PM
I didn't take any foreign any foreign languages. Worked with 2 ladies that spoke & write Spanish fluently. One was born with English and the other was born with Spanish. They tried to teach me some Spanish. I leaned a few words to read & speak being around them for 5 years!

Ugg
May 23, 2003, 08:17 PM
German, some French (Ican read it well, but have a hard time understanding and speaking it) basic Spanish. I think it's cool that Spanish is so prevalent in the US, especially in CA. Through constant exposure, I pick up a little bit more every month.

Zaid
May 23, 2003, 09:23 PM
Hmm besides English, i speak Afrikaans fluently. I can understand Flemish, and if spoken slowly Dutch. Also basic French and basic Xhosa.

I wanna improve the fench and pick up Spanish.(if i get the time :) ) And at some stage in the future i also wanna pick up Arabic and Persian. Lots to learn, so little time :)

billyboy
May 23, 2003, 09:37 PM
One of my old English teachers used to wander in to our Latin class and speak Latin to the frosty old Classics teacher. They were both about as ancient as Julius Caesar and sounded half convincing until one of them mentioned something about his car. Noone could fault them on their accents though.

Having struggled for 5 years with Latin, my reward was a scary grasp of grammar, and with an ear for languages, consequently French, German and Spanish came quite easily. Trouble is, now living in Spain I forget the English words sometimes. Not too useful for an English teacher.

melchior
May 23, 2003, 09:46 PM
english, japanese, german and italian. sometimes i wish i could speak freak and spanish since they are much more common (except for english) but i just don't get into them at all. japanese just takes me over.

i can kind of get by on russian and i am going learn some danish since well... i'm goiing to be in denmark towards the end of this year.

Rower_CPU
May 23, 2003, 09:51 PM
French BA w/ Spanish minor...and it's a damn shame I don't get to use either one enough. :(

tazo
May 23, 2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by billyboy

Trouble is, now living in Spain I forget the English words sometimes. Not too useful for an English teacher. My 2nd year spanish teacher used to be like that, speaking pretty good english (she used to tell the greatest stories, albeit always on tangents) but always very quickly in spanish. Sometimes that happens to me, and instead of saying something in english I will say it in spanish. :p kinda embarassing :p a friend will be like 'are you taking the bus?" and i will be like "el autobus?" augh. course they all take spanish so they understand. not that all my friends speak spanish. And I digress....

tazo

MacFan25
May 23, 2003, 10:03 PM
Of course, I speak English fluently. And, also, I am in my first year of spanish.

melchior
May 23, 2003, 10:40 PM
languages are great, but they can be difficult to get into. if you don't have a passion for it or some interest you will never work hard enough to make it really as rewarding as it could be.

it's all about motivation. just have to find your motivation.

oh and the bit about mixing up languages... i used to be a real grammar and spelling zealot (in english) and well, damned if i don't sound like a foreigner speaking my native tongue. at least i can still write, but speaking english is too fast for me :rolleyes: parents don't even recognise my voice anymore

shadowfax
May 23, 2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by job
I speak German and English fluently. where did you learn it, and how do you stay fluent? If anyone cares... don't be cynical. it's very unbecoming. ;)

Giaguara
May 24, 2003, 12:36 AM
i spoke italian and something else (not english) as my home languages.

furthermore, i speak spanish, english and portuguese. (and 2 useless languages) and 2 dialects. :rolleyes:

shadowfax
May 24, 2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Giaguara
i spoke italian and something else (not english) as my home languages.

furthermore, i speak spanish, english and portuguese. (and 2 useless languages) and 2 dialects. :rolleyes: doesn't that ever get confusing? i mean, most of the trilingual people i know end up speking a mix of the three languages they know, at least when talking to people who know the same languages. it really weirds me out.

tazo
May 24, 2003, 12:49 AM
me and my friend mix spanish and french every once and a while. i speak like 100 words of french, and a ton of spanish, he knows about 50 spanish words, and about 2 years worth of french

melchior
May 24, 2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
doesn't that ever get confusing? i mean, most of the trilingual people i know end up speking a mix of the three languages they know, at least when talking to people who know the same languages. it really weirds me out.

it's not really confusing it's just... well, i find anyway, if i get that 'on the tip of my tongue' feeling it gets replaced with another language. and some things come naturally as reactions when you get used to them. really basic words like 'what?' i can say the wrong language sometimes without thinking.

if i ever do mix languages i catch myself doing and correct it, i guess it could be embarassing, but it's never happened in a situation where it could be.

irmongoose
May 24, 2003, 01:53 AM
English, Japanese, and Hindi (the most common Indian language, for those of you who don't know). Although I am Indian, I live in Japan and go to an international school, and I get the least time with Hindi. So I'm the most fluent in English, then Japanese, then Hindi. I can speak/read/write English and Japanese perfectly, but I can only speak Hindi.

irmongoose

melchior
May 24, 2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by irmongoose
English, Japanese, and Hindi (the most common Indian language, for those of you who don't know). Although I am Indian, I live in Japan and go to an international school, and I get the least time with Hindi. So I'm the most fluent in English, then Japanese, then Hindi. I can speak/read/write English and Japanese perfectly, but I can only speak Hindi.

irmongoose

irmongoose, sashiburi! dou****ano?

irmongoose
May 24, 2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by melchior
irmongoose, sashiburi! dou****ano?

Nani ga sashiburi dayo? I mean, atta koto aru? Dare anta?

irmongoose

mim
May 24, 2003, 02:13 AM
Not only is everyone really well travelled, but everyone ('cept me.....sob) speaks more than one language!

What an educated lot.

I did work in Germany for a while, and picked up enough of the language to get by - but the only phase I can remember now is "Du bist meine kleine zuckerstucken" which served me well enough :p

When travelling I'm always suprised by how well two people with no common language can communicate by guesturing and pointing.

tazo
May 24, 2003, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by irmongoose
Nani ga sashiburi dayo? I mean, atta koto aru? Dare anta?

irmongoose

Arigato :o

Veldek
May 24, 2003, 04:35 AM
I'm speaking German and English, learned French and Russian in school, but don't use them too frequently anymore and began to learn Chinese and Japanese.

maradong
May 24, 2003, 05:14 AM
Luxembourgish ( native )
French
German
English
Spanish ( i undersand most of it, but i still have to work on speaking and so on :D )
it goes from good to bad

cc bcc
May 24, 2003, 05:49 AM
dutch
english
highschool german and french
spanish (a little bit)

I must say languages fade away if you don't use them every now and then. I used to be sufficient enough at both german and french to read and understand literature and to engage in discussions. Now I really have to think hard when speaking German (it's not very difficult when you speak dutch) but I forgot most of my French. J'ai oublier.
My Spanish, which also starts to fade away, is not more than words knotted together to form sentences. Fruits, vegetables, directions, the usual travelers stuff.
And of course, the almighty body language.

iGav
May 24, 2003, 07:54 AM
I'm barely fluent in English never mind anything else... :eek: :p :p

It gets even worse on a Friday night too!! heh-heh!! :p :p :p

At school studied French, German, Chinese and Spanish... and I can't remember a thing from any of them save German... :eek: :eek: :eek:

pianojoe
May 24, 2003, 08:28 AM
German (natively)
English (quite)
French (holiday level)
Italian (to buy a drink and ask directions)
Latin (5 yrs at school)

Staying up to date with English is easy since most of my online talk is English. I live in Germany, 50 miles from the French border, so that's easy, too. My Italian is a bit rusty.

Remember that Douglas Adams novel where he explains that the universal translator (aka Babel Fish) made communication between civilisations possible in the first place, and thus caused more warfare and harm to the world than any other invention?

britboy
May 24, 2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by tazo
Arigato :o

Doitashima****e :p

I speak English, Spanish (3 dialects: castellano, valenciano and catalan), French and German to a competent or fluent level, am in the process of learning Finnish, and speak some Arabic.

This is mainly because I've lived in france, germany, spain and the middle east. Really makes it easier to pick up a language if you're in that particular country ;)

billyboy
May 25, 2003, 05:12 PM
I remember my Spanish lecturer at university praising up a recently retired colleague. This old boy was the author of our excellent grammar textbook, and apparently spoke and wrote fluently in 15 languages - not one to waste his time, he had also written half a dozen similar pinpoint grammar books in everything from French to Rumanian.

I knew another interesting English eccentric who used to speak fluent Cantonese - it was good for a laugh to see the looks on the waiters' faces when he sparked up a conversation in their language while ordering chow mein etc.

Who says the English are lazy when it comes to learning languages?

tazo
May 25, 2003, 07:35 PM
Es una lastima que no haya mas personas que hablan Espanol. :(

edited for smiley

applemacdude
May 26, 2003, 12:52 AM
pero tazo yo ablo espańol...es mi primer leguage....pero yo no se como escribirlo bien....i also speak english fluently

tazo
May 26, 2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by applemacdude
pero tazo yo ablo espańol...es mi primer leguage....pero yo no se como escribirlo bien....i also speak english fluently

Muy bien, un chico que habla espanol :) Cuantos an(tilde)os tienes? :)

OutThere
May 26, 2003, 09:08 AM
I took one year of spanish:rolleyes: and now am taking french, to be able to communicate when I go to Switzerland (I have relatives there, and citizenship)

britboy
May 26, 2003, 01:09 PM
Es una lastima que no haya mas personas que hablan Espanol. :(

edited for smiley

Vaya gracioso. Si hubieras leido lo que la majoria de la gente aqui han dicho, podrias ver que muchos hablan espańol. Porque dices pues que es una lastima que mas personas no hablan espańol?

Acaso fue sarcasmus? :eek:

tazo
May 26, 2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by britboy
Vaya gracioso. Si hubieras leido lo que la majoria de la gente aqui han dicho, podrias ver que muchos hablan espańol. Porque dices pues que es una lastima que mas personas no hablan espańol?

I understood all of that, but don't what to say in response :)

britboy
May 26, 2003, 01:15 PM
I understood all of that, but don't what to say in response :)

Do you mean to say that I've left the 'best new member of the year'* speechless? :eek: :D

*see his sig.....:rolleyes:

job
May 26, 2003, 01:18 PM
where did you learn it, and how do you stay fluent?[B] don't be cynical. it's very unbecoming. ;)

Heh.

I lived in Germany for 4 years. I still read German books and write email to my German friends. It's hard to speak it though, especially here in Texas. :p

tiselday
May 26, 2003, 02:28 PM
Mucha gente que habla espańol por aquí, que bien!!

I guess that spanish is becoming more of a world language, mostly because the US has now more spanish-speaking people than Spain!!

Anyway, myself

spanish - mother tongue...
catalan - this is not a dialect!!
english - lived in england and ireland...
french - ...lived in geneva...
norwegian - ... and living in norway now!

I am fluent in all those languages and find all of them charming in their own way. Now i am in the process of learning swedish.

Er det norske folk som leser dette, forresten? :)

crassusad44
May 26, 2003, 02:40 PM
Flere som kan norsk her ja... I hvert fall to... :eek:

And for the english speaking crowd. Here is my (short) list...

Norwegian
English
French
Some German

tazo
May 26, 2003, 03:20 PM
Do you mean to say that I've left the 'best new member of the year'* speechless? :eek: :D

*see his sig.....:rolleyes:

Even the best of us :)

MrMacMan
May 26, 2003, 03:24 PM
I speak englush, gibberish and pig latin.

:rolleyes: ;)

I am taking spanish, but not doing well at all.

tazo
May 26, 2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
I speak englush, gibberish and pig latin.

:rolleyes: ;)

I am taking spanish, but not doing well at all.

what level of spanish, or years have you taken it?

Por que piensas que no estas haciendo bien?

mymemory
May 26, 2003, 04:25 PM

Espero que mi ingles no suene como tu espańol:rolleyes:

Rower_CPU
May 26, 2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by mymemory

Suena peor. :eek: :p

MrMacMan
May 26, 2003, 04:54 PM
what level of spanish, or years have you taken it?

Por que piensas que no estas haciendo bien?

Sé muy muy muy poco espańol.

Remember, spanish is very different depending on your location. And yes, sometimes you sound weird.

tazo
May 26, 2003, 07:19 PM
I don't know if this is very off topic or anything, but is grammar always called 'english'? Like we say someone uses poor english when they speak sloppily. Is this the same worldwide? Because I was talking to someone on MSN mess. who only spoke spaniish ok, and he is like, "you need to work on your ingles', which translates to 'english'. So is this how it works worldwide? I was wondering that for a while. anyone know?

tazo
May 26, 2003, 07:22 PM
Sé muy muy muy poco espańol.

hmmm, muy bueno :) Instead of saying muy muy muy, just say 'muchisimo', which means the same thing as muy muy muy. You can also do the same with almost eveyr adjective, like take grande, grande becomes grandisimo. Some of them are different tho. :)

actripxl
May 26, 2003, 07:57 PM
1. English (fluent)
2. Spanish (fluent w/ american accent)
3. Italian ( pretty good w/ american accent)

sillymacgirl
May 26, 2003, 08:01 PM
Can we have some translation please?! LOL I say this to my friend all the time who speaks spanish as his native language. He forever starts off speaking to me in English and ending in spanish. So I usually only know half of what he's saying! Kinda like this thread :rolleyes: LOL

MrMacMan
May 26, 2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by sillymacgirl
Can we have some translation please?! LOL I say this to my friend all the time who speaks spanish as his native language. He forever starts off speaking to me in English and ending in spanish. So I usually only know half of what he's saying! Kinda like this thread :rolleyes: LOL

haha, go to sherlock and see if you can get half of the translation.

wdlove
May 26, 2003, 08:18 PM
haha, go to sherlock and see if you can get half of the translation.

It would be good practice for them to translate for us! ;)

zarathustra
May 26, 2003, 08:35 PM
English
German
Hungarian
Slovak
Czech
Russian
... pretty much any slavic language besides these I understand (but not polish :) ).
some latin
some french
some spanish

I wish I knew finnish and japanese

tazo
May 26, 2003, 08:40 PM
i will try and provide a translation when i speak spanish. no problem :)

-tazo

bousozoku
May 26, 2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by zarathustra
English
German
Hungarian
Slovak
Czech
Russian
... pretty much any slavic language besides these I understand (but not polish :) ).
some latin
some french
some spanish

I wish I knew finnish and japanese

I'll trade you Japanese for Hungarian. :D

I'm able to get into real trouble :D in about ten languages with Japanglish as my best language.

I've also got experience in:

Spanish
French
Italian
German
Hungarian
Mandarin Chinese
Polish
Latin

However, I managed to pick up enough Hindi in an afternoon to be understood and can read most Germanic/Nordic languages because of the similarities with German and each other.

MrMacMan
May 26, 2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
I'll trade you Japanese for Hungarian. :D

I'm able to get into real trouble :D in about ten languages with Japanglish as my best language.

I've also got experience in:

Spanish
French
Italian
German
Hungarian
Mandarin Chinese
Polish
Latin

However, I managed to pick up enough Hindi in an afternoon to be understood and can read most Germanic/Nordic languages because of the similarities with German and each other.

Wow, I know what job you can get, a translator, you would have to study to become an expert in a language or so, but you would make the real $$/

mim
May 26, 2003, 10:58 PM
Wow, I know what job you can get, a translator, you would have to study to become an expert in a language or so, but you would make the real $$/

I heard not long ago that nearly 1/3 of the Eurpoean Parliment budget goes on translation :eek:

applemacdude
May 26, 2003, 11:06 PM
Muy bien, un chico que habla espanol :) Cuantos an(tilde)os tienes? :)

im 14:)

shadowfax
May 26, 2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by mim
I heard not long ago that nearly 1/3 of the Eurpoean Parliment budget goes on translation :eek: i bet the EU spends a hell of a lot on translation :D

MrMacMan
May 26, 2003, 11:24 PM
i bet the EU spends a hell of a lot on translation :D

How about the U.N you need like every (non-tribal african) languges there.

tazo
May 26, 2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by applemacdude
im 14:)

surely you have learned to count no in spanish no?

1. uno
2. dos
3. tres
4. cuatro
5. cinco
6. seis
7. siete
8. ocho
9. nueve
10. diez
11. once
12. doce
13. trece
14. catorce
15. quince
16. dieciseis
17. diecisiete
18. dieciocho
19. diecinueve
20. viente

:D

Foxer
May 27, 2003, 09:45 AM
English is my first language. Some ability in Spanish after six years of study and a fair amount of Arabic, too - but I haven't really used it sicne I moved back from the Middle East in '95.

Other languages I've studied (either at work or in school), but claim no real ability:

French
German
Russian
Hungarian
Chinese (Cantonese)
Latin (this fall)

mrjamin
May 27, 2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Zaid
Hmm besides English, i speak Afrikaans fluently. I can understand Flemish, and if spoken slowly Dutch. Also basic French and basic Xhosa.

I wanna improve the fench and pick up Spanish.(if i get the time :) ) And at some stage in the future i also wanna pick up Arabic and Persian. Lots to learn, so little time :)

xhosa? WOW! thats one of the weirdest languages in the world - doesn't it have weird clicky noises?

bousozoku
May 27, 2003, 04:21 PM

Definitely. You'll see more wars in my first 10 minutes of working at the United Nations. :D

shadowfax
May 27, 2003, 04:30 PM
Definitely. You'll see more wars in my first 10 minutes of working at the United Nations. :D hahahaha. boy, that's classic. wouldn't it be a much better challenge to keep the peace over GW's objections? i mean, heck, with a live one like that, starting "more" wars is easy!

bousozoku
May 27, 2003, 04:49 PM
hahahaha. boy, that's classic. wouldn't it be a much better challenge to keep the peace over GW's objections? i mean, heck, with a live one like that, starting "more" wars is easy!

"Oh, yes, that's right. The president said that the world's decisions can only be resolved by whores." :D

shadowfax
May 27, 2003, 04:54 PM
"Oh, yes, that's right. The president said that the world's decisions can only be resolved by whores." :D so now you're interested in using the language barrier to spread AIDS and other STDs?

bousozoku
May 27, 2003, 05:28 PM
so now you're interested in using the language barrier to spread AIDS and other STDs?

I never said that. :D

Political figures are always going on about their AIDS, aren't they? :D

tazo:

By the way, you can make an eńe pretty easily. Option + n. No more body parts that way. :D

tazo
May 27, 2003, 06:24 PM
I never said that. :D

Political figures are always going on about their AIDS, aren't they? :D

tazo:

By the way, you can make an eńe pretty easily. Option + n. No more body parts that way. :D

i know what ano vs. anyo is :) I am stuck on my pc at the moment tho, as I loaned it to a friend so he can experience apple, I really want him to switch, so I have no idea how to do the accents on a pc, the mac is easy :)

Rower_CPU
May 27, 2003, 08:41 PM
i know what ano vs. anyo is :) I am stuck on my pc at the moment tho, as I loaned it to a friend so he can experience apple, I really want him to switch, so I have no idea how to do the accents on a pc, the mac is easy :)

You could always use the HTML ampersand codes.
ń = ñ
http://rabbit.eng.miami.edu/info/htmlchars.html

MrMacMan
May 27, 2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
You could always use the HTML ampersand codes.
ń = ñ
http://rabbit.eng.miami.edu/info/htmlchars.html

or go to word or hit the stupid ALT + 1 + _ + _ = randomly symbols. :rolleyes: ;)

Definitely. You'll see more wars in my first 10 minutes of working at the United Nations. :D

haha, maybe a basic translator, maybe for all of those 'legal' cuban immigrants you have down there in Florida? :p

Giaguara
May 27, 2003, 09:24 PM
doesn't that ever get confusing? i mean, most of the trilingual people i know end up speking a mix of the three languages they know, at least when talking to people who know the same languages. it really weirds me out.

it does... :( my spanish gets mixed with italian if i'm tired enough, and my portuguese gets to portuńol.. ;)

zarathustra
May 27, 2003, 09:34 PM
Remélem ezt valaki el tudja olvasni és tud valamit visszaírni. nagyon meglepödtem, hogy van itt néhány fazon aki tud magyarul (állíttólag).

Néha már unom hogy az angolul beszélök (magam is beleértve) alig tudnak angolul írni. Talán ha egy idegen nyelven beszélgetnénk, akkor jobban figyelnénk a helyesírásra.

Sajnos semmi vicces vagy hasznos most nem jut eszembe, amit írhatnák.

Aha:

Megkelkáposztásítottalanítottattátok.

mim
May 27, 2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by zarathustra

Oh, yeah. Like totally. But only for breakfast.

tazo
May 28, 2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by mim
Oh, yeah. Like totally. But only for breakfast.

That is insane, you can read that? :p :D

britboy
May 28, 2003, 12:47 PM

Pero si mi espańol es perfecto :p

La verdad es que no he tenido sufficiente practica recientamente. Espero ir a valencia este verano....a lo mejor lo podre mejorar entonces. Tambien es a razon de que casi nunca escribo en espańol. Tampoco es como si estoy escribiendo cartas a mis amigos cuando les veo cada semana.....

Tazo> it's veinte ;)

rt_brained
May 28, 2003, 01:33 PM
When I was at the Defense Language Institute, I spent so much time learning German that when I spoke English again, I'd frequently reverse nouns and verbs in my sentences without even realizing it.

Friends and family back home found it rather entertaining as I spoke kinda in reverse.

bousozoku
May 28, 2003, 02:03 PM

Come on, a little Hungarian never hurt anyone. :D

deryk
May 28, 2003, 02:04 PM
English is my first language. I am fluent in french and I can converse in indonesian very well. I took classes on speaking indonesian, but never written. I can some if it, but like many languages, the written form is slightly different than the spoken.

Deryk

zarathustra
May 28, 2003, 02:09 PM

It actually means:

You (plural) made others do the job of converting it into cabbage. A very useful hungarian phrase. just like:

Megszégyenesítéshetetlenségetekért.

Which means:

For the lack of ability to put you (plural) to shame.

I have many more:

Öt török öt görögöt dögönyöz örökös örömök között.

should I go on? :)

shadowfax
May 28, 2003, 03:26 PM
Come on, a little Hungarian never hurt anyone. :D Serbian, on the other hand... what language do serbians speak, anyhow? do they have their own slavic dialect?

scem0
May 28, 2003, 04:00 PM
Ive been unable to post the last couple of days, so I'm a little late on this thread, but I speak a good amount of English (naturally ;)), Spanish (kinda, sort of, not really :(), and Latin (well, I can't speak it very well, bc it is a wierd language, but I know a lot of Latin - 5 years of schooling). THat's about it. :)

Giaguara
May 28, 2003, 04:09 PM
we are looking for the most "useful" frases ever, aren't we?

i can order beer, know what i can't eat on menu, know numbers 0-10 and can thank and answer to phone in slovak (and chech) but i can't do really anything more. but for those useful frases:

strc^ prst strz krk.
(the ^ should be on the other way, and above the c)
that means something like 'put your fingers to your throat'.

hm lets continue.
welsh:

llanfairpwllwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrdndrobwllllantyysiliogogogoch
(written not dyslexic-proof, i'm sorry). it's "st mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool of llantysilio of the red cave"

finnish (nearly anything in finnish would sound funny anyway):

alavilla mailla hallanvaara
('danger of low temperatures at night in the low ares')

shadowfax
May 28, 2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Giaguara
we are looking for the most "useful" frases ever, aren't we?

i can order beer, know what i can't eat on menu, know numbers 0-10 and can thank and answer to phone in slovak (and chech) but i can't do really anything more. yedna Cola lite, prosime! (i think; though that's to get a coke, not a beer). also, i believe we spell it Czech :D. i went to Prague a few years ago... stunningly beautiful place, unfortunately very dirty in most places. god though, i saw people who looked exactly like people i knew back in the states. often. it was really funky.

jxyama
May 28, 2003, 04:42 PM
i speak only two... japanese and english. i can read some french, but not really...

i met a guy in switzerland with a swiss mother and a chinese father. he knew:

french, italian and german (as many swiss do)
chinese (from his father)
spanish (if you know french and italian, it's probably not too difficult)
english (ditto, if you know three romance languages and german...)
russian (self taught)
and enough japanese to have a conversation with me. (i'm native)

7 and a half languages! i was telling him that he could pretty much go anywhere in the world if he knew arabic and his response was that he's on his way to learning it...

[edit]
a funny phrase in japanese:

ura niwa niwa niwa, niwa niwa niwa niwa toriga ita

"there were two (chickens) in the backyard and two more in the front yard."
[\edit]

MacFan25
May 28, 2003, 04:46 PM
so tazo...this may have been said...but what year of spanish are you in? i'm in my first year right now. i like it pretty well. :)

Giaguara
May 28, 2003, 05:18 PM
how many others who learned spanish at home (but are becoming worse recently) there are here? ;)

tazo
May 28, 2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by MacFan25
so tazo...this may have been said...but what year of spanish are you in? i'm in my first year right now. i like it pretty well. :)

I am hoping there is a compliment coming :p lol. I am finishing my third year of spanish. I plan to take a fourth next year :)

Definitely take at least three years. before then, you cannot write or speak spanish really. So basically, take the three years, use it as much as possible, talk to people whose native tongue is spanish, and try and make the last three years of your life worthwhile :)

tazo
May 28, 2003, 05:44 PM
New idea for the topic on languages:

What is the coolest thing you can say in a 2nd or third or whatnot language? If not the coolest, what is your most used phrase?

As a 2nd language spanish speaker, I like
""tu mama, cuanto le cuesta?"
Which primitively translates: "your mom, how much does she cost?" :p a reference to umm, nevermind :) Me and my friends laugh when ever I say that one lol

so what is your favorite phrase to say, whether it be because it is cool, or whatever?

-tazo

cc bcc
May 28, 2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by mrjamin
quote:
Originally posted by Zaid

I wanna improve the fench and pick up Spanish.(if i get the time ) And at some stage in the future i also wanna pick up Arabic and Persian. Lots to learn, so little time

xhosa? WOW! thats one of the weirdest languages in the world - doesn't it have weird clicky noises?

Afrikaans is related to dutch, I don't know the historic details, but south africa was a dutch colony long ago, a dirty history. These languages developed differently in the last couple of hundred years, so it's hard to understand but it's possible. Words for new things, like "elevator" are very different and can be very funny for both sides.
So it's not a dialect but a real different language from dutch.
The clicking languages are also from southern africa btw.

Flemish is the same as dutch, grammar wise. Just the pronounciations are bit different. It also depends on the dialect. And the Flemish are better at dutch than the Dutch. :D

billyboy
May 28, 2003, 06:36 PM
My favourite word in Castellano is "zarzuela" - seafood casserole. Long live the "theta"!

We once went on a family holiday to France and my dad was determined to speak the lingo, so he went to a market to buy some vegetables and try out his pre-school French. Stumped beyond Bonjour, he starts pointing at cabbages. The stall keeper asks him in a broad Breton accent, "Would you like a cabbage?"

Good old Dad, in a broad Scottish brogue replies (in French) Yes I'm Scottish. Parents are embarrassing enough at times for teenagers, and needless to say my brother and I walked away. He got his veg though.

MacFan25
May 28, 2003, 07:35 PM
I am hoping there is a compliment coming :p lol. I am finishing my third year of spanish. I plan to take a fourth next year :)
Yeah, I am going to take 3 years of Spanish. And I may take 4 years. It just depends on if I like it, and how well I am doing in it by then.

janey
May 28, 2003, 08:03 PM
lotsa languages :D :p :) ;) :p :cool:
english
korean
c
c++
objective c
java
html
xml
javascript

kinda know:
chinese
japanese
brainf*ck
applescript
c-sharp/c#
sgml
perl
php
and some more...but not that well

pivo6
May 28, 2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by cc bcc
Afrikaans is related to dutch, I don't know the historic details, but south africa was a dutch colony long ago, a dirty history. These languages developed differently in the last couple of hundred years, so it's hard to understand but it's possible. Words for new things, like "elevator" are very different and can be very funny for both sides.
So it's not a dialect but a real different language from dutch.
The clicking languages are also from southern africa btw.

Flemish is the same as dutch, grammar wise. Just the pronounciations are bit different. It also depends on the dialect. And the Flemish are better at dutch than the Dutch. :D

Both of my parents were from the Limburg province of the Netherlands, and their dialect is pretty close to Flemish. So close that I can understand Radio Vlaanderen from Belguim fairly easily, but have trouble with Radio Netherlands when they broadcast in Dutch (shortwave).

I took 3 years of German at University and I still understand it fairly well, but the only practice I get is talking to my daycare provider, who is from Germany.

pivo6
May 28, 2003, 09:03 PM
Serbian, on the other hand... what language do serbians speak, anyhow? do they have their own slavic dialect?
Serbians speak Serbo-Croation and write in cyrillic (like Russian). Croats speak the same language, with some differences I'm sure, but write using the western alphabet.

Squire
May 28, 2003, 10:36 PM
I'm a native English speaker. I studied French for about 10 years from elementary school to the end of high school. It was useful when I drank with French guys (and ladies) from northern New Brunswick. I studied a little Italian in university and practiced with my friend's mama as she cooked spaghetti for me. Then, I took on a Spanish course in university, followed by Latin and German.

The sad part is that I forgot almost all of it after I moved to Korea. (I still remember ordering a pizza in French-Canadian restaurant and speaking Korean to the waitress by accident. Pathetic.)

Maybe I'll get back into the other languages later.

Squire

tazo
May 28, 2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by MacFan25
Yeah, I am going to take 3 years of Spanish. And I may take 4 years. It just depends on if I like it, and how well I am doing in it by then.

thats good :o if you ever need help i could try and ayudate :p

mim
May 29, 2003, 01:28 AM

heh, no - it was just a lucky guess :p

New idea for the topic on languages....What is the coolest thing you can say in a 2nd or third or whatnot language? If not the coolest, what is your most used phrase?

As per a previous post...in German

"Du bist meine kleines Zuckerstucken!" (padons for my spelling to those who know Deutche better than me...)

It means "You are my little sugar cube".

Used to drive the German girl next to me at work insane - she thought it was so cute. Once I learnt to pronounce it correctly it worked like a charm on all the Germans I met :D. What an ice breaker.

The Germans also have loads of great lines involving pigs and sausages. "Schwein" is just such a great word to say.

Wardofsky
May 29, 2003, 02:27 AM
For some reason when you learn French, English seems so boring.

When you learn Chinese, English seems so simple.

When you learn the language of PC users, English seems like the best language ever.

zarathustra
May 29, 2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Wardofsky
When you learn the language of PC users, English seems like the best language ever.

Huh? :confused:

To quote from a movie:

"It's called a «point» - it makes the story that much more interesting".

billyboy
May 29, 2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by mim

The Germans also have loads of great lines involving pigs and sausages. "Schwein" is just such a great word to say.

I once saw a German kid vault across half a dozen desks to hit an English kid who in jest called him a schweinhund. You have to be careful with references to animals in many languages, unless you want a bloody nose and be left muttering, "What did I say. :eek:

ozubahn
May 29, 2003, 08:35 AM
All you people are making me feel like a horribly pathetic monoglot. :) It is really amazing how many people have replied to this thread, and the average number of languages per person. I'm here to lower that average. I speak English very well, and Japanese rather less gracefully. I'm learning quickly now that I am actually in Japan, but I have a long, long way to go.

Hey bousozoku... How did you choose your name? Are you really a club of rabble-rousing delinquents? :)

kiwi_the_iwik
May 29, 2003, 09:05 AM
I used to take German when I was in High School - and when I was 15, I got more in my German exams than I did in my English exams. It sort of screwed up my English a bit - I started putting all my verbs at the ends of my sentences!

Does that mean I can speak better German than English?!?

Ich denke nicht. Meine deutsch ist sehr schlecht...

I'm very lucky though - now that I live and work in the UK, I frequently make trips onto the Continent (and, inevitably Germany) through my job. At least then I get to practice a lot.

As a youngster, I also learned a bit of Maori - the indigenous language of New Zealand. Kei ti Pai, Pakeha!

And, yes - I CAN do the Haka.

bousozoku
May 29, 2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by ozubahn
All you people are making me feel like a horribly pathetic monoglot. :) It is really amazing how many people have replied to this thread, and the average number of languages per person. I'm here to lower that average. I speak English very well, and Japanese rather less gracefully. I'm learning quickly now that I am actually in Japan, but I have a long, long way to go.

Hey bousozoku... How did you choose your name? Are you really a club of rabble-rousing delinquents? :)

No, I'm not a club--just one--remember that Japanese words are singular and plural.

I was acquanting Japanese exchange students in the states with American life and I was telling them how I was driving 130 mph (215 kph, right?) quite a bit. I had also mentioned being in a bit of trouble occasionally and they gave me this nickname.

ozubahn
May 29, 2003, 10:27 AM
No, I'm not a club--just one--remember that Japanese words are singular and plural.

Got it. Thanks. That seems like an appropriate name. 130 mph (I still think in imperial) is pretty fast. The only time I've broken that speed around here was on the shinkansen; other than that it is just feet, rollerblades, and the Odakyu-sen. Is there an interesting Japanese name for that particular combination? :)

Squire
May 29, 2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by billyboy
I once saw a German kid vault across half a dozen desks to hit an English kid who in jest called him a schweinhund. You have to be careful with references to animals in many languages, unless you want a bloody nose and be left muttering, "What did I say. :eek:

You can say that again. One of the worst expressions in Korean is "dog baby."

Squire

bousozoku
May 29, 2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by ozubahn
Got it. Thanks. That seems like an appropriate name. 130 mph (I still think in imperial) is pretty fast. The only time I've broken that speed around here was on the shinkansen; other than that it is just feet, rollerblades, and the Odakyu-sen. Is there an interesting Japanese name for that particular combination? :)

Kanagawa-ken no hito :) (Kanagawa prefecture person)

I spent a lot of time travelling Odakyu-sen from Noborito to Shinjuku visiting those same students I helped earlier. I miss it so much.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Tagalog, the national language of The Philipines. It's based on Spanish and Malaysian and is quite nice.

jxyama
May 29, 2003, 04:21 PM
yeah, japanese words are the same for plural and singular, but for bousouzoku, it has to be used as an adjective for it to be "singular"... "zoku" at the end pretty much implies it's more than one person.

anyway, ahh... odakyu line... loved that as a kid, growing up in machida. romance car was always my favorite ride to/from shinjuku.

alia
May 29, 2003, 05:49 PM
Well, I took 5 years of French in school, so I can read it and understand it fairly well, but I'm pretty bad at speaking it. I don't have an ear for languages at all.

That aside, I'm teaching myself Japanese for kicks. It actually find it not too hard - haven't really tackled the reading/writing yet. Hiragana and Katakana aren't hard, but kanjii is downright daunting.

:)

Alia

janey
May 29, 2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Squire
You can say that again. One of the worst expressions in Korean is "dog baby."
uh i thought all expressions containing certain words were highly offensive and with the kind of culture that koreans have, saying anything not even mildly offensive would be considered a very very offensive word by the person you said it to if the person was older than you or something

scem0
May 30, 2003, 12:08 AM
Oh I forgot to mention - I know a lil' c++ ;) .

janey
May 30, 2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by scem0
Oh I forgot to mention - I know a lil' c++ ;) .
usually programming languages don't count, which is the reason why the number of languages i know go from 10-20 to like 3