Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
We've got SATA, SPDIF 5.1, 800MHz FSB Mobos for $100. Cheap Hyperthreading 800MHz FSB Pentium 4s. FSBs overclocked over 1Ghz.

Intel is fortifying against something. It's either Opteron or the PPC 970.

Opteron isn't doing much on the desktop, so I'm thinking the PPC 970 might actually be pretty hot.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The Athlon-64 is somewhere around, getting ready for the Christmas buying season.

[Looks back at Opteron press release :rolleyes: ]

About AMD64

AMD64 defines a new class of computing by extending the industry-standard x86 instruction set architecture across 32- and 64-bit platforms. AMD64 is an AMD innovation designed to deliver full compatibility with existing 8-, 16-, and 32-bit x86 solutions and simultaneous industry-leading 64-bit performance. The AMD Opteron processor for servers and workstations is the first processor in this new class of computing. AMD plans to introduce the AMD Athlon™ 64 processor for desktop and mobile personal computers in September, which will allow pervasive adoption of the AMD64 architecture. AMD64 replaces terms such as “Hammer” (now, “AMD64 technology”) and “x86-64 ISA” (now, “AMD64 ISA”).

Plissken

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2003
Tennessee
i think its much less that they fear some new awe inspiring chip/chipset but rather just another bump in Mhz that we have all become used to. This is par for the course for Intel so don't use this as a reason to think that the 970 is a guaruntee that Mac will rule all in raw performance. i'm done.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
i really don't think intel is given more than a glance in apple's direction.

they already compete heavily with other archtectures in the server market, but that isn't the 970 real place, at least, not from idications. (other than the blade servers) the Power4 however is a different case altogether.

it looks to me as if they want to merge their server and desktop markets together. xeon isn't doing what it used to.

as for intel fortifying against something? i don't really think so. this isn't the trick up their sleeve. it's just more moving forward.

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
i agree with sun baked. there was a lot of discussion abt microsoft working closer with amd, and intel was getting jealous. i'm not sure if the 970 is on their radar, but with altivec-friendly benchmarks, the 970 could look (if not be) much better than intel's latest offerings.

mim

macrumors 6502
Originally posted by melchior
as for intel fortifying against something? i don't really think so. this isn't the trick up their sleeve. it's just more moving forward.

I'm with you Melchior. This is not new technology for intel - they're just pushing the things they already have to new limits - all in a days work for intel really seeing as they've been doing that for how long now?

Don't forget that the P5 is due out soon. I really don't think Intel's quaking in it's boots. I wish it were - but that's a different matter.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
yeah, i don't think that Intel is scared or anything, although i guess that they are doing their best to stay ahead in the market. there is also alot of other competitors in the PC market.

the 970 probably isn't something for Intel to be worrying about. but the thought of a 970 running Panther... that's something to get Microsoft and Intel worrying. ;) :D

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
yeah, they better be careful. in a year or 2, we might be able to move from 3% back to 5%, won't that be a glorious day?! ;)

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Originally posted by Plissken
i think its much less that they fear some new awe inspiring chip/chipset but rather just another bump in Mhz that we have all become used to. This is par for the course for Intel so don't use this as a reason to think that the 970 is a guaruntee that Mac will rule all in raw performance. i'm done.

I don't think it will rule at all. But it might be pretty good. Intel has never really given this kind of a bump on the desktop end so quicky. This practically ensures that if apple keeps crippling their "consumer" line, they'll get eaten for lunch. You're going to have new 970s competing with $800 desktops.

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Originally posted by melchior
yeah, they better be careful. in a year or 2, we might be able to move from 3% back to 5%, won't that be a glorious day?! ;)

I really think that's more about Apple's pricing than anything else. Apple's share is never going to grow if they don't move from margin to volume. And it's just not something they are going to attempt to do. This ensures that Apple probably only has 2 years to remain special. IMO.

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Originally posted by mim
I'm with you Melchior. This is not new technology for intel - they're just pushing the things they already have to new limits - all in a days work for intel really seeing as they've been doing that for how long now?

Don't forget that the P5 is due out soon. I really don't think Intel's quaking in it's boots. I wish it were - but that's a different matter.

I think what's really surprising is the the low cost HT P4's to go along with the chipset. At these prices, the volume will pick up so fast, in less than a year I expect SMP or HT-awareness to become commonplace in all PC software.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by MorganX
I really think that's more about Apple's pricing than anything else. Apple's share is never going to grow if they don't move from margin to volume. And it's just not something they are going to attempt to do. This ensures that Apple probably only has 2 years to remain special. IMO.

This is very dangerous. Apple trying to compete on price would be incredibly hard to do, as Dell is already the obvious winner in this arena. I want Apple prices to go down too, but I don't want Apple's margins to be crushed either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.