Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elphaba

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2006
I've been looking around for a good place to buy Windows XP. Today I noticed that eBay is selling copies for around 30 dollars, like this one for example. They claim it's unopened in the original box. Would it be a good idea to just skip this offer and buy from newegg or some other website? I need your help :D

macjay

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2003
That's an auction, and $30 is just the current bid. It's not for sale at that price.

Elphaba

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2006
That's an auction, and $30 is just the current bid. It's not for sale at that price.

I know it's an auction, thanks. I just want to know whether or not it would be safe to buy it from eBay :)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I know it's an auction, thanks. I just want to know whether or not it would be safe to buy it from eBay :)

And ... there's no way anybody can tell you, because it depends on the honesty of the individual seller. You are not buying it from eBay, you're buying it from randomdude4174@ aol. com who you will likely never know the true name and address of.

Rough estimate, 75% of the software on eBay is pirated, being sold outside of the license terms, incomplete, or is otherwise not as described.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
My suggestion is to look at their feedback. The one you linked to only has two visible auction feedback and both are for magic the gathering items, so I find it funny that they are suddenly selling windows xp pro. Just be weary of who you buy it from and look for feedback of similar items from the seller.

Elphaba

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2006
Thanks for your advice :) I guess i'll just take the safe route and buy it from a reliable website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.