PDA

View Full Version : WHAT SHOULD I GET!!! new or old nano?

nestea
Feb 6, 2007, 07:30 PM
ok what should i get guys.....a refurbbished 1st gen 2GB black nano off apple.com for 100$ OR a NEW 2nd GEN 2GB silver nano for 150$ off some store...probably best buy....so wich one shoild i get or wich one is better and why? Thanks...

insomniac321123
Feb 6, 2007, 07:32 PM
ok what should i get guys.....a refurbbished 1st gen 2GB black nano off apple.com for 100$ OR a NEW 2nd GEN 2GB silver nano for 150$ off some store...probably best buy....so wich one shoild i get or wich one is better and why? Thanks...

I can't speak for the new nanos, but the old ones did have a lot of problems with getting really scratched up. I dont know whether or not that is enough to warrant the extra $50 for you, but its something to keep in mind.

Chundles
Feb 6, 2007, 07:36 PM
New nano - no question.

Better screen, much better battery life, better software features, better compliance with future accessories, much sturdier and scratch resistant, CD quality voice recording capabilities, new earbuds.

It's not exactly the money or the box - those features are well worth the extra $50.

eXan
Feb 6, 2007, 10:02 PM
New nano - no question.

Better screen, much better battery life, better software features, better compliance with future accessories, much sturdier and scratch resistant, CD quality voice recording capabilities, new earbuds.

It's not exactly the money or the box - those features are well worth the extra $50.

Yes, I agree. The Al nanos are so much better than the plastic/chromed metal ones! Also, the look better, IMO. Scratch-resistance is awesome, as is very noticably brighter screen!

tobefirst
Feb 6, 2007, 10:22 PM
I recently picked up a 1st gen 2GB nano off of the refurbished store...and it's perfect for what I'm using it for- just something to run with. It is not my primary iPod, so I couldn't care less if it gets scratched up or whatever else. So, in general, I would go with a 2nd gen nano, but one of the 1st gens would make a great 2nd iPod, or just something to beat up on.

holamiamigos
Feb 7, 2007, 12:53 AM
go 2nd gen.. they're so sleek

jac.blue
Feb 7, 2007, 01:04 AM
For looks, I prefer the old ones. Don't like the sharp ends.. they look like the old minis. Then there is the scratch problem and the 50 bucks. Mmmm... decisions, decisions. Hey, I would wait and buy a iphone!:rolleyes:

JBazz
Feb 7, 2007, 01:07 AM
For $150 get a refurb 4gb.

I have a 1st gen and put a $4 protector on it. Problem solved and I get to change colors.

mrgreen4242
Feb 7, 2007, 08:37 AM
For looks, I prefer the old ones. Don't like the sharp ends.. they look like the old minis. Then there is the scratch problem and the 50 bucks. Mmmm... decisions, decisions. Hey, I would wait and buy a iphone!:rolleyes:

I agree - the first gen nanos are much better looking. The scratching is easily solved with a $5 transparent skin. Despite what people will tell you, the aluminum casing of the new nano's will scratch. It's aluminum, not titanium. I've seen PLENTY of scuffed up iPod minis.

As for battery life, yes it's much better, but the 14 hours of the old nanos is really pretty good, and unless you are traveling to places with no power often 24 hours seems a little excessive for a player that holds less than 10 hours of audio. There's no new features on the new nano (that is it can't play video, it can't play the iPod games, etc). If you want to do high quality recording, 2gbs isn't going to get you far anyways, and there are better recorders out there.

So, in short, I'd personally either save the $50 or get a 4gb refurb with the extra money. I know there are lots and lots of people who like the colors (my wife, for example) but I am partial to the iconic iPod white.

sushi
Feb 7, 2007, 08:40 AM
New nano - no question.

Exactly what he said!

You will be glad that you did. :)

Sesshi
Feb 7, 2007, 08:44 AM
How about an iAudio D2?

ebay US store
http://cgi.ebay.com/COWON-D2-2GB-Black-PMP_W0QQitemZ160079004023QQcmdZViewItem

Product page
http://www.cowonglobal.com/product/product_D2_feature.php

In the UMS mode it works with iTunemywalkman among others. One disadvantage of this is the lack of tag browsing facilities.

mrgreen4242
Feb 7, 2007, 09:17 AM
How about an iAudio D2?

ebay US store
http://cgi.ebay.com/COWON-D2-2GB-Black-PMP_W0QQitemZ160079004023QQcmdZViewItem

Product page
http://www.cowonglobal.com/product/product_D2_feature.php

In the UMS mode it works with iTunemywalkman among others. One disadvantage of this is the lack of tag browsing facilities.

Seeing as that doesn't compare feature wise to the nano (it's a larger, touch screen, video playing device, with no built in memory) and it's more than either of the other two options AND you need to buy a memory card for it, that doesn't seem like a particularly helpful comment.

Sesshi
Feb 7, 2007, 09:29 AM
Seeing as that doesn't compare feature wise to the nano (it's a larger, touch screen, video playing device, with no built in memory) and it's more than either of the other two options AND you need to buy a memory card for it, that doesn't seem like a particularly helpful comment.

It comes with built-in memory - 2 or 4gb. It's larger, but not large. The memory is extensible which is why it has the slot. The 2Gb version doesn't cost that much more than the new Nano and I thought it was worth mentioning given the feature set.

I'm sorry it wasn't helpful. I realise it was a grave error mentioning anything without an Apple badge on it. Oh Lord, forgive me the error of my ways...

Chundles
Feb 7, 2007, 09:31 AM
I'm sorry it wasn't helpful. I realise it was a grave error mentioning anything without an Apple badge on it. Oh Lord, forgive me the error of my ways...

I forgive you my son, but let that be the last time or POW! Right to the moon!

lamina
Feb 7, 2007, 10:45 AM
CD quality voice recording capabilities

Huh?!

Chundles
Feb 7, 2007, 10:51 AM
Huh?!

The 2G nano can, with an attachment, record voices etc. in CD-quality WAV format 44.1KHz blah blah blah...

It's the first small iPod to be able to do it.

mrgreen4242
Feb 7, 2007, 11:40 AM
It comes with built-in memory - 2 or 4gb. It's larger, but not large. The memory is extensible which is why it has the slot. The 2Gb version doesn't cost that much more than the new Nano and I thought it was worth mentioning given the feature set.

Misread the bit about the built in memory - which is something I wish Apple would do (add an SD slot to their players for expansion). In any case, it has nothing to do with you suggesting products that aren't made by Apple. It has everything to do with the fact that the OP didn't ask "iPod nano or some other MP3 player?" He asked about 2 different products and the relative merits between them. You spammed out an eBay link to a product no one asked about, or that related to anyones question. Further, ya, it's an Apple website, an iPod forum so it's a god guess that the people here actually want an Apple product (especially when they ask for one specifically).

Anyways, the only reason I bothered responding was the eBay link. I don't think it's appropriate to link to eBay auctions in informational threads as even if it's not your sale there's a definite perception your using the forum to advertise your business. There's a whole section just for that here. Like I said, it's probably not even your eBay auction, it's just the fact that there's no way to tell if it is or isn't.

Sesshi
Feb 7, 2007, 11:51 AM
Misread the bit about the built in memory - which is something I wish Apple would do (add an SD slot to their players for expansion). In any case, it has nothing to do with you suggesting products that aren't made by Apple. It has everything to do with the fact that the OP didn't ask "iPod nano or some other MP3 player?" He asked about 2 different products and the relative merits between them. You spammed out an eBay link to a product no one asked about, or that related to anyones question. Further, ya, it's an Apple website, an iPod forum so it's a god guess that the people here actually want an Apple product (especially when they ask for one specifically).

I get the impression that people here don't really bother doing any research beyond Apple, and the many of the membership take great pleasure in shooting down the mention of anything non-Apple regardless of it's merits - leading to even less research.

It's always good to have an option, no? In terms of what it does and how it does it - as well as how it's priced for those features - I think the D2 is very compelling, moreso than the Nano (And I like my Nanos a lot too). The only serious problem on the Mac is tag based navigation as I pointed out earlier, and it really depends on how you feel about USB Mass Storage players and it's use with iTunes with plugins such as iTunemywalkman. For some it can be a deal-breaker. For others (P2Pers / classical buffs) it may actually be an asset. I can't obviously choose for you but it's another IMO very viable option.

Anyways, the only reason I bothered responding was the eBay link. I don't think it's appropriate to link to eBay auctions in informational threads as even if it's not your sale there's a definite perception your using the forum to advertise your business. There's a whole section just for that here. Like I said, it's probably not even your eBay auction, it's just the fact that there's no way to tell if it is or isn't.

Er.. well that's the official Cowon US ebay shop. If you bothered clicking a bit beyond the 'no Apple logo' mist you'll probably notice that. Maybe. Probably.

I can live in hope that this place isn't a total drooling fanboy playground, can't I?

nestea
Feb 7, 2007, 04:57 PM
ok well check this oput guys...my friend is selling me his 4gb 1gen black nano for 80$ PRiSTINE conditions..he kept it in a little leather case thing since he got it so its like perfect....for 80$! or should i go for the 150$2gen 2GB silver nano? i saw my other friends 2gen nano and it is really light..and much smaller...im so confused....and for the dude that suggested the other mp3 thing on ebay...thanks man but i want a nano...thanks anyways for the offer..

eXan
Feb 7, 2007, 11:56 PM
ok well check this oput guys...my friend is selling me his 4gb 1gen black nano for 80$ PRiSTINE conditions..he kept it in a little leather case thing since he got it so its like perfect....for 80$! or should i go for the 150$2gen 2GB silver nano? i saw my other friends 2gen nano and it is really light..and much smaller...im so confused....and for the dude that suggested the other mp3 thing on ebay...thanks man but i want a nano...thanks anyways for the offer..

Umm, the both generations of nano are the same physical size, maybe you've confused it with 2G Shuffle?

SkyBell
Feb 8, 2007, 12:10 AM
Old Nano. Think Different™ :cool:

Sesshi
Feb 8, 2007, 05:58 AM

It looks smaller, but it's not actually hugely smaller. The big difference I suppose is that you can use the new Nano without a case without being hyper worried about scratches (but then, you can just InvisibleShield it).

That is a good deal - hard choice. I'm not sure what I'd do to be honest. I like more storage, but I also like the much improved battery life of the new Nano. Too often like the old 3rd-gen iPods I'd forget to turn off the Nano for a bit and it'd be run down when I really wanted to use it.

I might give the slight nod to the 2G Nano for that reason, but the price/capacity difference makes the choice pretty hard. I guess it's up to whether you want the storage capacity + $70 more than the very useful battery life.

biturbomunkie
Feb 8, 2007, 06:36 AM
hmmmm... tough one. what about saving the money towards the iphone or a refurb 2nd gen blk nano?

nestea
Feb 8, 2007, 04:19 PM
they dont sell refurbished 2nd gen nanos yet ...or do they?????...well my friend wount sell it anymore because he was gonna use the money to buy this thing from this other kid but he allerady sold it so...im just gonna save money to get the 2nd gen...

Selenolycus
Feb 8, 2007, 05:02 PM
I'm on a budget and wanted something to keep me entertained while exercising, so I went for the 2gb refurb nano. I won't be glued to the screen, so screen brightness is a non-issue for me, really, and I've seen the 1st gen nanos - their screens are plenty bright enough.

I don't know about battery life, and my iPod nano hasn't come in yet so I can't give a first hand experience. :(

It does lead me to ask, however, a question on FedEx shipping:

The tracking shows my iPod nano has been sitting in Sacramento, CA (I'm in Norman, OK) since the 1:00am on the 6th, and it's due to be delivered in 2 days. WHY THE HECK IS IT SITTING IN A SHIPPING FACILITY GATHERING DUST FOR THIS LONG!?

Selenolycus
Feb 9, 2007, 03:23 PM
I got my refurb iPod 2GB 1st Gen in today. It shipped with the new-style earbuds. They still sound rather crappish. I hope no one actually pays $30 for these things in their own box. :eek:

blueflame
Feb 9, 2007, 04:10 PM
I am partial to the iconic iPod white.
I agree. there was something special about it looking like a mini version of the original
A

mrgreen4242
Feb 9, 2007, 04:23 PM
It does lead me to ask, however, a question on FedEx shipping:

The tracking shows my iPod nano has been sitting in Sacramento, CA (I'm in Norman, OK) since the 1:00am on the 6th, and it's due to be delivered in 2 days. WHY THE HECK IS IT SITTING IN A SHIPPING FACILITY GATHERING DUST FOR THIS LONG!?

Hehehe... mines doing the same thing... The answer is that FedEx is a bunch of useless morons and they don't scan things on the way out the door, just when they get there. They don't even scan stuff when it makes stops along the way, pretty much only at the final destination, or at best the regional hub before the final stop. I emailed them to make sure my iPod (5G 30gb) was indeed going to get here on the 13th as promised, and they claim it really is in transit.

My question is, why bother having a "detailed" online tracking system if you aren't going to use it? UPS has a similar system and it works great, letting you know where your crap is every step of the way.

nestea
Feb 9, 2007, 05:44 PM
you guys think they will make a black 2gen for 2GB and 4GB?

Maxwell Smart
Feb 9, 2007, 06:56 PM
I would definitely go with a new nano, if only for the better battery life and scratch-resistant exterior.

nestea
Feb 10, 2007, 02:42 PM
so do you guys think they will make a baclk one in differnet GB's?