PDA

View Full Version : Mac Mini Wireless Boost

Mac Me Up
Feb 7, 2007, 03:28 AM
Hi there,

I have a core duo intel mac mini, which I have hooked up to my TV using EyeTV. That part of it works sweet, and I can highly recommend (much better than AppleTV IMHO).

What doesn't work so well is the wireless signal strength on my mini. It sits about 7 or 8 metres from my base station, but regularly gets only one or two bars of wireless signal. I have a G4 powerbook (which is pretty renowned for lousy wireless) which gets FULL STRENGTH pretty much everywhere in my house. On only 2 bars it takes forever to copy files around my network.

Does anyone know a way to boost the signal? I was thinking about maybe buying a USB wireless adaptor, which I would assume would give me better reception. The problem is I can't find one that says it's compatible with OS X.

I'm hoping someone here will have a good solution to this problem ;)

Gerg
Feb 7, 2007, 01:12 PM
Visit http://www.quickertek.com/ for a nice variety of wireless boosters. I bought one of their "5.5 dBi Omni Antenna for iMac G5" antenna's for my Mini, and I get a great signal now.

I have an EyeTV 200 hooked up to the Mini, and EyeHome hooked up to my HDTV, but I've always streamed via my house LAN rather than via Airport, as I never had much confidence in the WAN's capabilities. The new 802.11n standard may change my mind, but since I have a LAN throughout the house, why not use it?

Nukemkb
Feb 7, 2007, 03:00 PM
Cool! Until I read that disassembly of mini is required...sigh! all roads lead to disassembly!:D

Gordy
Feb 7, 2007, 03:19 PM
I assume you have tried this, but make sure the top of the mini is not covered as this is where the mini's antenna is.

:)

Gerg
Feb 8, 2007, 12:27 PM
Cool! Until I read that disassembly of mini is required...sigh! all roads lead to disassembly!:D

But it's not hard to do, and the results are hard to beat.

JAT
Feb 9, 2007, 12:09 AM
$100 or more for an antenna? You can buy antennas for less than $10.

Mac Me Up
Feb 9, 2007, 03:31 AM
Visit http://www.quickertek.com/ for a nice variety of wireless boosters. I bought one of their "5.5 dBi Omni Antenna for iMac G5" antenna's for my Mini, and I get a great signal now.

I had actually come across these, but at around AUD$150 each it's a little more than I want to spend. There's nothing on top of my mini, though it does sit in a cabinet with my stereo and xbox, with my TV sitting on top, so I guess those things could be interfering with it. I don't really want to move it though. I was hoping someone would know if any of the many USB wireless adaptors out there are mac compatible, and if they would make a difference.

I guess I could buy a better wireless router as well, but again that's not cheap. There's no point in me buying the new apple one because my G4 powerbook and mac mini don't have 802.11n.