Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superted666

Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
Okay ive been playing with vista on my macbook rev a for a little bit and here are my initial thoughts....

UI - greatley improved over xp. the look and feel when using works very well and useless as they are everyone likes special effects.

Useability - Diminished from xp, the system is greatley complicating things asking for permission to perform simple tasks but more annoying having pop-ups telling me things i already no. overall the interface gets in the way sometimes.

Media Centre - Improved again i feel media centre is better than front row, front row is simpler and easier however the amount of things you cant do means for me frontrow isnt powerfull enough, maybe apple tv will change things i dont no.

Security - yet to be seen

Speed - startup and shutdown are sluggish for me but once up vista handles very quickly

Widgets, they waste screen space which is valueable to me as my screen is small but at the same time it is good to be able to glance across and see some of its 'gadgets'. i sometimes forget about dashboard. not sure which implementation i prefer here yet.

Install - pretty easy i thought

Driver support - needs a lot of work. This works better on my machine than my friends near new sony laptop and his fujitsu desktop. He also cant play any games on his machine as they all dont work on vista.

IE 7 - while not strictly a vista only experiance its part of the OS. Seems to support transparent PNG's and render a lot of the sites ive built better however not too keen on the button layout and ui....

Overall better than i expected after using the beta as im actually impressed this time around. I do think os x is superior still however the gap is much less in my opinion. Im hoping leopord wows me and i really hope they unify the look and feel a bit more.

Ed

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Which OS is better?

I think OSX is easier to use, but I think you can do more with Vista. As long as you have more than a 5th grade education, I think you can handle that complexity...

The big issue for me - I want to run Visual Studio, SQL Server and One Note and I can't do that on MacOS.

I do however think Apple, by far, has the sexiest hardware available.

laidbackliam

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2006
i'm running vista ultimate on parallels right now, and i think the software is solid, so far. its nothing to call home about though, and i only have two programs installed. i think i may be more impressed with parallels than vista though. if anyone has an idea as to how to get aero glass using parallels though, i'd appreciate it. i want to know what that looks like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.