Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattmack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2002
San Francisco Area
Has anyone tried the new upgrade cards for the G4 (agp graphics) there are now several options with prices coming down. anyone have a good opinion of one they like? Thanks:cool:

mattmack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2002
San Francisco Area
Originally posted by tazo
You can't go wrong with Sonnet Technologies
Yeah i have used there upgrades b4 and never had a problem. Upgraded a power mac 6100/60 av to a g3 266 and it is still chugging along

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
They work with every current version of OS X, but there's nothing stopping Apple from excluding compatibility with future operating systems. That being said, it'd be kind of silly of them to do such a thing. The reviews of the Sonnet card are especially good.

mattmack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2002
San Francisco Area
Originally posted by wsteineker
They work with every current version of OS X, but there's nothing stopping Apple from excluding compatibility with future operating systems. That being said, it'd be kind of silly of them to do such a thing. The reviews of the Sonnet card are especially good.
I think if Apple ever goes to a 64 bit os they will eventually stop supporting the G4/G3. until that happens I think we're safe;) . The only thing I don't like about the Sonnet card is you have to reuse the heatsink that is installed in your computer. I also heard that the DDR ram as the backside cache doesn't affect performance all that much. That being said I will probably go with the sonnet card for reputation, but I'm still open to influence

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.