PDA

View Full Version : DRM in regards to Steve Jobs post

DoubleDawg
Feb 8, 2007, 09:55 AM
Does anyone else think that DRM is just worthless in the sense that ...
1. All one has to do to get around it is burn a cd of DRM protected music and then import that cd back into itunes.
or
2. Just use audio editing software to record the DRM tracks real-time and save them out as a non-drm format.

This just emphasizes Jobs point ... music companies get a clue, DRM is losing you money not helping!

DoubleDown

psychofreak
Feb 8, 2007, 09:59 AM
The problem is those people who have 'share all files' ticked on their P2P thing. If your stuff is CD imported, then strangers can pirate it, but if your stuff is DRMed, then you won't bother to burn/rip just for the happiness of strangers...sending one song to a friend does not hurt the music industry (in fact I have bought many albums because of those 'you gotta hear this song, ill send it 2 u' moments), while sharing to many people on P2P networks takes serious $$$ from the record companies...

roland.g
Feb 8, 2007, 10:05 AM
If Steve joined MR, would he have to wait till he got 500 posts to get an avatar, or would he become an instant demi-god?

Could we trust anything he said, or might he try to keep us off track from what was really coming?

johnmartin78
Feb 10, 2007, 08:24 PM
DRM just fails in so many ways.
a) no ammount of protection is going to stop hackers or bootleggers from breaking it.All it does is make it hard for regular folks.

b) the vast majority of all media purchased is done so w/o any DRM,i.e CD's DVD's ,Those are the files that people are DLing online.

c) For years we were copying cassete tapes,I would venture to say that piracy was worse then,when we would go to a friends house with a blank tape and make a copy.Or buy a cassete and copy it,then return it to the store and say it was messed up and get a refund.

d) If i DO download a song,its because its sometihng I am not sure I want,so I'm trying it out,if I happen to like it,I'm likely to PURCHASE the rest of the album.

e) As far as ripping off the artist,thats a crock.Musicians get F'k All from album sales,their money is made on tour.Album revenues go directly to record companies.....Companies that have been ripping off artist for decades.