PDA

View Full Version : Manchester a rival to San Francisco, says 'creativity' report

iGav
May 26, 2003, 11:30 AM
Yeah right.... of course Manchester is a rival to San-Francisco... either the people that wrote this have never been to San Francisco or Manchester.... :rolleyes:

And even better, they say that Leicester is as good as London...:eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Obviously written by a Manc, that's never travelled out of Moss Side... :p :p :p

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/2938204.stm

WinterMute
May 26, 2003, 11:36 AM
HAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAA...

MWHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA... (deep breath)

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ha ha h.... (faints).

jelloshotsrule
May 26, 2003, 11:37 AM
ahhh. crazy brits... bloody bollucks!

WinterMute
May 26, 2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
ahhh. crazy brits... bloody bollucks!

I think you'll find that's bollocks, or bollox if you prefer, or even nads in polite company...;)

I lived in SF for a month or so and have been to Manc land on many occasions, usually to see the gods of football, Liverpool FC, pound the poor excuses for teams that city affords, SF has it in spades, manchester is merely damp.

As for Leicester and London, well... :D

Wes
May 26, 2003, 12:08 PM
Don't you all start slagging off Manchester, I was born there. :P

caveman_uk
May 26, 2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Wes
Don't you all start slagging off Manchester, I was born there. :P
Quite correct. Manchester isn't that bad...I mean, have you ever been to Stoke-On-Trent? Jeeeeez:rolleyes: You'd have to admit Wes. Where would you rather go on your hols, Manchester or San Francisco?

I was born in Sittingbourne in Kent but that doesn't stop me realising it's a hole.

Wes
May 26, 2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by caveman_uk
Quite correct. Manchester isn't that bad...I mean, have you ever been to Stoke-On-Trent? Jeeeeez:rolleyes: You'd have to admit Wes. Where would you rather go on your hols, Manchester or San Francisco?

I was born in Sittingbourne in Kent but that doesn't stop me realising it's a hole.

You are just slagging me off today! My granny lives about 5 miles from Stoke-on-Trent, but yes San Fran beats it anyday(Well the 5 days I was there). I think London is pretty nice though.

iGav
May 26, 2003, 01:48 PM
I reckon Machester is on a par with Brum... both are building sites at the moment, both want to be 'European City Of Culture' and native residents of either city have comedy accents.... :eek: :p :p

But to say it's more 'Creative' than London is avin' a larf.... There's like more award winning, design, new media, post production, film companies squeezed into Soho than there is in the entire North of England... :D :p :p

I was born in Coventry though... so I guess I shouldn't criticise... but then again I don't even think that Coventry is a 'Creative' and f-in 'Culture' of a city... unlike the brummies and mancs... :eek: :p :p

evoluzione
May 26, 2003, 02:48 PM
they all beat Bedford on a bad day mind. Hmm, what came out of Bedford??? umm...John Bunyan and his Pilgrims Progress. oh, and Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards :p . Martin Bayford used to play for Bedford Town RUFC. Oh, Paula Radcliffe, world record holder in the womens marathon (and I went to school with her) edit: oh, i also went to school with Matt Oakley, who set up the winning goal for those blue-noses Everton, against ManUre in the FA Cup final :D gotta give the lads credit for that one....

We do have a Red Stripe brewery though :D and Crayola Crayons right by a street named Cosmic Avenue.

As far as culture, um, we have a High St full of theme pubs.... :rolleyes:

wanders off to cook some bangers n' mash

caveman_uk
May 27, 2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by evoluzione
they all beat Bedford on a bad day mind. Hmm, what came out of Bedford??? umm...John Bunyan and his Pilgrims Progress. oh, and Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards :p . Martin Bayford used to play for Bedford Town RUFC. Oh, Paula Radcliffe, world record holder in the womens marathon (and I went to school with her) edit: oh, i also went to school with Matt Oakley, who set up the winning goal for those blue-noses Everton, against ManUre in the FA Cup final :D gotta give the lads credit for that one....

We do have a Red Stripe brewery though :D and Crayola Crayons right by a street named Cosmic Avenue.

As far as culture, um, we have a High St full of theme pubs.... :rolleyes:

wanders off to cook some bangers n' mash
You've also got a good homebrewing shop...'The Happy Brewer'. The high street does look like the sort of place that's paved with vomit on Friday and Saturday nights with hordes of marauding thuggy lads and drunk slappers. Much like any other small English town sadly...

Sorry Wes. Not picking on you. Both my Mum and Brother now live in Tunstall, Stoke-On-Trent. God knows why but there you are... apparently it's better than Sittingbourne :D

dstorey
May 27, 2003, 04:07 AM
More creative talent in just soho than the whole north? :rolleyes: hahhahahahahhhaahh almost as funny as Manchester being a rival to SF. I mean look at most of the bit british films of the last few years...most have been based on us scummy northerners...billy elliot and full monty to name but two...then there is the likes of trainspotting with wor friends from scotland. Then music...theres no comparision there...north wins hands down...Beatles alone beat any culture that soho's dragged up. Ok its dried up now but from their time up until the 90's we had a lot of the best bands...just manchester had joy division, new order, smiths, happy mondays, stone roses, oasis to name just a few... Then theirs football, even if its a sport, tell liverpool or newcastle fans that its not a cultural icon of their city...liverpool has more fans in the most amount of counties than any club in the world.

But to top it all off, Newcaslte is going for city of culture 2008 (as is liverpool, and we have a lot of cultural things happening up here at the moment...I think the Baltic was even mentioned on apple hot news for its use of macs and xserves in its artist space and of course none other than Jonathan Ives studied in northumbria university...and we know how cool he is. Then we have the richest history in england being the seat of learning in the middle ages, and the lindesfarne gospels are the first known translation of the gospels in britain and became the start of the kingdom or northumbria then englands transformation from pagan to christianity....so all in all we have a hell of a lot of culture ere...mosre than the southern image they have of us as flat cap wearing, fat drunken, fish and chip eating pigeon fanciers...well thats just some of us....and its mostly in leeds...honist ;) Its not that soho isn't creative just a bit snotty to say just that area of london is more creative that the rest of the uk north of the watford gap....yer divn't kna woorra ya tailkun aboot marra ;)

iGav
May 27, 2003, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by dstorey
More creative talent in just soho than the whole north? :rolleyes: hahhahahahahhhaahh almost as funny as Manchester being a rival to SF. I mean look at most of the bit british films of the last few years...most have been based on us scummy northerners...billy elliot and full monty to name but two...then there is the likes of trainspotting with wor friends from scotland. Then music...theres no comparision there...north wins hands down...Beatles alone beat any culture that soho's dragged up. Ok its dried up now but from their time up until the 90's we had a lot of the best bands...just manchester had joy division, new order, smiths, happy mondays, stone roses, oasis to name just a few... Then theirs football, even if its a sport, tell liverpool or newcastle fans that its not a cultural icon of their city...liverpool has more fans in the most amount of counties than any club in the world.

But to top it all off, Newcaslte is going for city of culture 2008 (as is liverpool, and we have a lot of cultural things happening up here at the moment...I think the Baltic was even mentioned on apple hot news for its use of macs and xserves in its artist space and of course none other than Jonathan Ives studied in northumbria university...and we know how cool he is. Then we have the richest history in england being the seat of learning in the middle ages, and the lindesfarne gospels are the first known translation of the gospels in britain and became the start of the kingdom or northumbria then englands transformation from pagan to christianity....so all in all we have a hell of a lot of culture ere...mosre than the southern image they have of us as flat cap wearing, fat drunken, fish and chip eating pigeon fanciers...well thats just some of us....and its mostly in leeds...honist ;) Its not that soho isn't creative just a bit snotty to say just that area of london is more creative that the rest of the uk north of the watford gap....yer divn't kna woorra ya tailkun aboot marra ;)

I actually said 'more award winning'.... ;) :p :p But I wasn't been serious....

Oasis..... you're avin' a larf aren't you??? :p :p :p

I used to live in a small village just outside Leeds for 8 years.. so I'm well versed in Northern culture.... also had stints in the Midlands and down South.... so I'm hardly biased... Most of my mates are either from Manchester or Leeds so that's all I'm getting in my ear today.... rant rant rant... "Manchester the greatest... rant rant rant" annoying as hell in those comedy accents... so I asked them why are they down in London?? The excuses have had me giggling all morning!!

But Manchester.... come on... same with Liverpool.... they smell... both of them.... heh-heh!!

dstorey
May 27, 2003, 07:15 AM
Maybe they smell...but not as bad as jelly eels....ewww makes black pudding sound nice... ;) well manchester semlls more than liverpool cause after all who can fogive them for bringing man u into this world...thats a sin a fellow nortnerner can't defend them against...but then again the stone roses do kinda save them a bit....

At least us northerners have one benifit...when people say they hate england...at least we know they really mean London and the south ;) I mean even the scotch and the welsh dont mind the geordies and thats saying something ;) I'm all for an independent Norhumbria state...think i'll go out and buy me red and yellow flag....though i dont think scotland would let us have all our old land all the way up to and inc their capital back though :-( I think i propose myself as the new king too...yey viva la revolution....

iGav
May 27, 2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by dstorey
well manchester semlls more than liverpool cause after all who can fogive them for bringing man u into this world...thats a sin a fellow nortnerner can't defend them against...

:p :p :p true.... heh-heh!!