PDA

View Full Version : Does the 2nd g nano require a case?

pringle95
Feb 8, 2007, 10:16 PM
Hi, I've just recently purchased a 2nd generation silver iPod nano. I'm lovin it!!!
I've purchased a silicon skin for it on ebay. However, after a few days of use I must say that I dislike camouflaging my new slick nano. Yes, I know, it does need to be protected if I want it to be in perfect condition..
But unlike the 1st g nanos or the 30/80gb iPod videos, are the 2nd g nanos scratchable? I usually tended to think that the 2nd g nano solved the "scratching" issue? Does one really need a case/skin for it if you want it to remain scratch free? Will my screen and case be scratched if I won't use a skin?

Thanks!

starcrossed
Feb 8, 2007, 10:44 PM
i've had my blue nano for around 3 months already, case-less, and i've been so impressed on how much Apple has improved its exterior to withstand scratches and damage. In the past i've had a 1gen 10gb iPod and 3gen 40gb, and know how easily they scratch and desperatly need a case to protect them, but i've had some occasionaly accidents with the nano and had very very very minimal scratches left. My strong opinion is you don't need a case, after all they just hide Apple's beautiful design. But i would recommend at least a case for storage like if you plan to carry the nano in your pocket or in a bag that might like coins or objects that could possibly scratch, but i personally just bought the Apple lanyard and keep the nano around my neck and close to me at all times.

mrkramer
Feb 8, 2007, 10:47 PM
I think that the screen can still be scratched but it is much better than the first gen nanos.

hayduke
Feb 8, 2007, 11:18 PM
I've had a black nano for about six months. I don't use a case, but I do have a screen protector on it. I carry it in my pocket all the time, but I'm careful not to have change or keys in the same pocket. It still looks great and I think I use it more as a watch, calendar, contact list since I don't have to take it in and out of a case...of course I'm thinking only of cases that cover the screen with something opaque. Another reason I don't have a case is that the only one I like is the leather Apple case, but the prices is positively outrageous.

holamiamigos
Feb 8, 2007, 11:20 PM
if you want the color to still be seen then just get a clear case... i know they have a lot at the apple store... maybe agent 18 i guess

SkyBell
Feb 8, 2007, 11:29 PM
if you want the color to still be seen then just get a clear case... i know they have a lot at the apple store... maybe agent 18 i guess

I've never seen them.

I'd LOVE a case to protect my iPod from scratches. But most of them are colored, and then what is the point in having different colored iPods?

Plus, I hate the ones where you have to open a flap or something.

Link to clear cases which remain on the iPod when in use?

pringle95
Feb 10, 2007, 07:53 PM
Thnx for the replies ya'll.

I decided not to use a case.
It is just that a case changes the iPod completely. i bought a silver nano cuz it looked slick, but with a skin like the one I bought, the nano feels completely different and looks ugly.
http://www.sevenstar.com/tarvel-accessories/ipod-accessories/icover-nano-white.jpg

I don't like all the other skins either. It would be nice though to get the special plastic shield, but I still suspect iPod will have a different feel to it. The original (skinless) iPod feel is the reason I got an iPod.

But if I would have gotten an iPod video, I would have no problem getting a skin.
I guess the only alternative for me is like other posters mentioned. Keep it in a pocket without any accessories (ie loose change or keys).

Thanks.

mashinhead
Feb 11, 2007, 02:23 AM
i don't use a case with mine, becase it's to me it's like covering your furinture with plastic. ipods are meant to be seen. And they don't scratch, but the screen is still vulnerable. Just get screen protectors.