Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iancapable

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
London, United Kingdom
It's cheesy... The Mac security ad was so on the mark, it keeps popping up every 2 seconds with security warnings...

Not to mention that they are so proud of their 3d window alt-tab effect that they put an icon for it on the taskbar... I mean srsly...

I'm not being biased, but it's a little bit too much hehehe.

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
It's cheesy... The Mac security ad was so on the mark, it keeps popping up every 2 seconds with security warnings...

Not to mention that they are so proud of their 3d window alt-tab effect that they put an icon for it on the taskbar... I mean srsly...

The icon on the taskbar is there for a reason. Not every keyboard has a windows key so you cant press windows-tab if there is no windows key. On those keyboards, you can click that icon to get the functionality.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle

You are biased and you can turn that off.
Try Vista with Bootcamp - it rocks...

Pct1theory

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2006
NY
dude i run Vista Ultimate In BootCamp, And Home Basic In Parallels and i get that "Cancel Or Allow" stuffz all the time,

like when i install a program, i have to click allow like 5 times, and then some other warnings... come up as well...

BTW. u guys don't have to click the button in the taskbar, just use "Command (as the Win Key) Tab"

kinchee87

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
New Zealand
dude i run Vista Ultimate In BootCamp, And Home Basic In Parallels and i get that "Cancel Or Allow" stuffz all the time,

like when i install a program, i have to click allow like 5 times, and then some other warnings... come up as well...
You can disable UAC so that Vista doesn't ask you permission.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
@Pct1theory:

Signature restrictions are set for a reason.

To the OP:

Why don't you just disable the security options?

amd4me

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2006
After I made my switch, Windows XP seems like a 9th grade computer lab project.
I cant imagine that Vista is any better.

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005

BTW. u guys don't have to click the button in the taskbar, just use "Command (as the Win Key) Tab"

I just installed Vista Ultimate about 4 days ago. Installed Office 2K3, Radeon drivers, Nero 6.6, 7zip, ultimateVNC, Google Earth, CutePDF, Winamp, Flac, FLV Player, Picasa, Photoshop 6, DVD Shrink, Virtualdub, Acrobat reader 8 and Quicktime Alternative....

I didnt get any excessive warnings. I got one popup asking me to allow. *IF* the program was not 100% compatible with vista such as Nero 6, it would prompt a warning saying there were compatability issues - do you want to continue. If an older application failed install, vista would ask if you want to retry with alternate system settings that might be compatible with the installer and you'd say yes and it would run the installer for you again. So aside from the first "are you sure you want to allow..." when you run an installer, the others are just warnings for things that may not be vista compatible. Those are things I'd want to see 100% of the time.

So not sure what you went through that was different than mine but there was nothing I found to be illogical. Once install is all done and system is running, there is no more UAC issues anyway so everyone whining about UAC is just grasping at straws. Its just a non issue. So you deal with a few popups during the setup of a computer - life does not end.

Now I'm running this on a Core 2 Duo PC and I'm running the 64bit version and I've got 4gig RAM and I will say the system is more responsive than when I had XP. I'm impressed so far.

marcosscriven

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2006
I find reading this forum is a bit like being a city guy going to a little pronvincial bar. You walk in and everyone eyes you suspiciously...

I'm a software developer, and I user XP, Vista, Mac OS X, and Linux in its various varieties. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages - which have been repeated ad infinitum, and which I don't wish to go over again (it's as unwinnable as a disagreement of religion)

What is irritating though is the Mac evangelists that come to the 'Windows on Mac' forum just purely to have a go. I don't go to the 'Mac OS on Windows' forum and spout drivel about how lame Mac OS X is... oh wait, you can't run Mac OS on anything but a Mac...

If you don't like windows just don't install it for heaven's sake.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
What is irritating though is the Mac evangelists that come to the 'Windows on Mac' forum just purely to have a go. I don't go to the 'Mac OS on Windows' forum and spout drivel about how lame Mac OS X is... oh wait, you can't run Mac OS on anything but a Mac...

Amen! ;)

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I am running Vista Business on my Mac Pro with absolutely
no security pop-ups or problems whatsoever.

In fact, I find that Vista runs unbelievably well under my
Parallels setup. When using coherence, I find the meshing
of the two operating systems as one to be nothing short of
an amazing experience that increases my productivity.

I think the success of Vista working so well on my Mac Pro
is attributed to the fact that my system has 4GB of ram which
I distribute evenly between OSX and Parallels.

radesix

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2007
I am running Vista Business on my Mac Pro with absolutely
no security pop-ups or problems whatsoever.

In fact, I find that Vista runs unbelievably well under my
Parallels setup. When using coherence, I find the meshing
of the two operating systems as one to be nothing short of
an amazing experience that increases my productivity.

I think the success of Vista working so well on my Mac Pro
is attributed to the fact that my system has 4GB of ram which
I distribute evenly between OSX and Parallels.

I'm not so sure that 4GB is necessary. But i'm curious about something. I have 2GB in my MacBook Pro. I have seen various message posts regarding potential system memory addressing issues when using more than 3GB of RAM.

Furthermore, when I initially installed Vista under Parallels I allocated as much RAM as I could (1.5 GB). I then saw other message posts stating that a common mistake in setting up VMs was allocating too much memory to the VM when it really wasn't necessary. In this particular post the poster was complaining of poor performance in Vista. A gentlemen mentioned that he probably had too much RAM allocated. The next post was from the original complaintant. He had lowered the amount of RAM allocated and surprisingly Vista performance increased!

I lowered my memory allocation to 1GB OSX and 1GB Vista and I noticed no degredation in performance.

However, I have one problem that has also been confirmed on other message posts. Audio playback in Vista under Parallels is choppy and unacceptable. Raising memory back to the max possible allocation still doesn't fix the problem.

With 4GB (2GB OSX and 2GB Vista) do you experience any audio playback problems?

Best Regards
Shaun

dadsp33k

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2007
Parkville, MD
I find reading this forum is a bit like being a city guy going to a little pronvincial bar. You walk in and everyone eyes you suspiciously...

I'm a software developer, and I user XP, Vista, Mac OS X, and Linux in its various varieties. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages - which have been repeated ad infinitum, and which I don't wish to go over again (it's as unwinnable as a disagreement of religion)

did you forget this is a mac forum? this is what we do.

Romulus

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
I tried Vista the other day on a Dell from a friend - that thing is so obsolete... I'm a recent switcher (got a C2D MB the day it was announced), and I did not find anything new in Vista. My old XP install on a Dell, and the one running in Parallels has the Vista theme, also teatime from Spybot takes care of the security of system files and everything else, together with a good free firewall program like zone alarm I did not even run a virus scan on it, and never had an issue... At the same time my XP in parallels with around 750 mb allocation is 10 times faster and snappier at opening and closing programs like word, or explorer windows. Oh, and what a heck, they still did not solve the whole visualization of windows where you are seeing your window with the desktop in it while the window is loading... Also, despite the absence of the windows tab, the regular tabbing with preview windows was available even in XP... so, my question - is Vista just a theme pack with a couple additional programs attached to it (common, defender is an additional virus check, etc... that is not an improvement to the operating system, is just another program bundled along...)? Such a waste of 6.5 billion dollars in development (according to the reports)... and at the same time so many children have no food in Africa... what a waste... Microsoft is really going down the drain, using jet propulsion set at full speed...

There you go, my rant of the day...

Romulus

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006

See my post above... Vista is a waste, XP was great coming from ME or 98... I do use all platforms too, but... this time, it's just sad...

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT

Actually you can run Mac OS X on Windows. Apparently, there are EULA questions but Mac does run on pretty much any computer :D

At least right now I'm surfing using Safari on my Compaq laptop :)

:D

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
To each his own...

See my post above... Vista is a waste, XP was great coming from ME or 98... I do use all platforms too, but... this time, it's just sad...

To the end user, it's not an earth shattering change, but at the core, it's a rewrite, more secure, and the first step towards better integrated 3D graphics in the OS.

Sure, it was expensive to make and has been late, but it's a start of a good platform.

I use both the Mac and PC, and I love the mac for home use and bought one for my mom, but there's some things it just can't do - Windows with IIS .Net and SQL is just too easy for be to be productive with what I want to do.

To me, the best of both worlds is the mac hardware (MBP C2D) running Vista. This is a pretty awesome combination in my eyes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.