PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV vs. Ipod Video

skrutzen
Feb 9, 2007, 12:56 AM
Maybe the title is a little misleading but I understand that there is a lot of debate about the apple tv and it really being worth the money. Well, here's how I look at it.

The thing that made me salivate for apple tv was the ability to access my iTunes and display the contents on my tv. Now if I had an iPod with video capabilities I would probably just buy one of those Griffin or DLO docks that you can plug into your tv and view your iPod's contents that way. Plus, it would be cheaper, the downside is the menus are not that intuitive.

I have an iTunes library with 9803 files and only 17 of those are video files (all iTunes content). My ipod is an old 3rd Gen 30gb and it sits in the armrest of my car. I am a music nut and I really don't listen to my iPod outside of my car so a 5.5gen iPod would be a waste of cash for me. Would I like one? Sure. They're nice looking.

Now I will probably watch the videos I have on the apple tv just for the novelty of it, but without any ability to give me multi-channel ( i.e. Dolby Digital or DTS, which I prefer) sound, why would I torture myself? TV shows are not as important for me to watch in surround but I have a DVR for that. So, the apple tv for me is perfect because it will put all of my music on a large screen and let me access it. I have an Aiport Express but I find that I would like to be able to access my music without having my Pbook turned on to act as the remote. I've also looked into the Roku Soundbridge and Slim Devices Squeezebox but I would rather have my music displayed on my 32" LCD than a smaller screen like one of those streaming systems I just mentioned.

For me the apple tv is perfect. I am a mac user through and through and you can't beat the integration that the apple tv offers.

Just my 2 cents...

MacNut
Feb 9, 2007, 01:15 AM
Why get an :apple: TV when you can just get a Tivo and do more with it.

millar876
Feb 9, 2007, 01:22 AM
ecause its his iTunes Music he wants to use it for not the video part. the OP already said he har a PVR

MacNut
Feb 9, 2007, 01:26 AM
If its just for music why not get a dock and hook the iPod up to the stereo?

WildPalms
Feb 9, 2007, 01:48 AM
If its just for music why not get a dock and hook the iPod up to the stereo?
Exactly. Well said. ;)

GFLPraxis
Feb 9, 2007, 02:08 AM
Or for the same price, get a refurb 30 GB 5.5 gen iPod and the AV connection kit. ($180 + $99 = $279)

Then hook the iPod to the TV and sit back with your remote.

dukebound85
Feb 9, 2007, 02:17 AM
or get an xbox360 and get a nice console and then get xbox connect to stream movies (non apple store ones). so far it doesnt do avi or mp4 but it will come soon enough lol

Counterfit
Feb 9, 2007, 02:56 AM
The :apple:TV does have an optical port, so if you have a receiver that can decode (which I presume you do), you should be able to get surround.

skrutzen
Feb 9, 2007, 03:13 AM
The AV connection kit doesn't do on screen menus. It only shows videos and and photos. So that's not an option. Also, the only time my iPod comes out of the car is when I update music. The iPod has a very specific place in my life and that is to replace the amount of cds I would normally carry in my car.

I've honestly thought about spending more and doing the whole xbox 360 thing for the cheap HD DVD player and now the ability to rent HD movies online through xbox live but I also want to be able to stream all of my library not just non-protected stuff. Also, like a lot of others I'm tempted to wait out the format war for the next dvd standard.

I see the apple tv as a supplement to my home theater system, not a replacement for any of my devices I already own. It completes the idea for me that your tv is the main window to all of your devices that make up your home entertainment. As the the dvd player, dvr and stb provide means for video to your tv, the apple tv provides the music. I suspect Apple will eventually make the apple tv so that it provides a better video experience with higher quality video and 5.1 surround. Until then it will be very limted in appeal for video enthusiasts which is why the music aspect is so much more appealing. I am not oppsed to using it for video but my standards are high and until a movie downloaded from iTS looks and sounds as good as a dvd from my upconverting dvd player then I'll use it for music which for me, is more than enough. Also, if you look at the price of the Squeezebox ($299) which has gottten excellent reviews, you get alot more with the apple tv like the ability to stream your protected content, watch an occaisonal movie or video and your screen is as big as your tv.

skrutzen
Feb 9, 2007, 03:18 AM
Counterfit, I believe that surround sound is not possible with iTunes. There's no decoder built in. My receiver will decode dts 6.1 & dolby digital ex but if itunes doesn't provide a 5.1 discrete audio track then there is nothing for my receiver to decode. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The way I feel about sound for movies is that it's 50% of the movie. If the sound sucks or isn't decent quality it takes away from the experience.

zap2
Feb 9, 2007, 05:49 AM
Or for the same price, get a refurb 30 GB 5.5 gen iPod and the AV connection kit. ($180 + $99 = $279)

Then hook the iPod to the TV and sit back with your remote.
Wht? The :apple: TV is better, it wireless, has a bigger hard drive, and stream stuff if you fill up the harddrive, plus you can control it by using the screen. Over all the :apple: TV is a much usefull piece of tech then a docked iPod

or get an xbox360 and get a nice console and then get xbox connect to stream movies (non apple store ones). so far it doesnt do avi or mp4 but it will come soon enough lol
He wants to play iTMS music, not to mention the Xbox 360 is 520+tax for the System, Wi-Fi(slower then the :apple: TVs) and Conect 360(and you'd still end up with a worse system)

Get an AppleTV, you sound like someone who can use it.