PDA

View Full Version : Q about ipod vid and PC

ZLurker
Feb 9, 2007, 06:44 AM
My friend asked me about what formats the ipod video can play and im not sure since i dont own one myself.

I guess it doesnt support all formats anyway so how are you guys doing it?
He wants to grab all kinds of video from his PC and play it on his TV.
What are the steps involved and what software do you need?

Thx alot!
ZLurker

Fearless Leader
Feb 9, 2007, 06:47 AM
Video formats supported: H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 768 Kbps, 320 by 240 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

from apple's website

ZLurker
Feb 9, 2007, 06:48 AM
from apple's website

I saw that but does that meen tha you can play a H.264 compressed .avi file?

I guess not right?

TheNightPhoenix
Feb 9, 2007, 08:36 AM
It won't play the .avi files.

But if you drop it into itunes you can then go to advanced/convert to ipod and any movie will be converted to work on the ipod

skybolt
Feb 9, 2007, 10:01 AM
Well, almost. I downloaded a video podcast that, when trying to sync to my iPod, I got the error that this video could not be played on this iPod. So I tried the "convert" option, and nothing happened -- still can't sync to the iPod.

Do you know exactly which type of videos it WILL convert to iPod format?

Fearless Leader
Feb 10, 2007, 01:57 AM
anything that it can play it should turn into ipod compatible video. for transcoding video you might want to try ffmpegx. It plays almost everything and can turn anything it can play into ipod video.

ZLurker
Feb 10, 2007, 11:29 AM
It won't play the .avi files.

But if you drop it into itunes you can then go to advanced/convert to ipod and any movie will be converted to work on the ipod

Since ive never tried this i was just wondering if this option in itunes is fixed or of you can choose your settings, ie if you can opt for 640x480 and so on if you want to play it on a tv?