PDA

View Full Version : crappy roommates and people who live with them

bombensington
May 26, 2003, 03:11 PM
i am going through a totally annoying situation with a roommate.

basically, she used to be my best friend...then one day she snapped. she doesn't like one of my other friends, and when she found him in my room one day, she flipped out and said she was calling the police...seriously he has never given her a reason to call the police.

so now she's threatened to file a restraining order against him and write a letter to the apartment managers saying that i let him smoke pot in the apt...which isn't true. she told me she wants me evicted. i don't see how that is possible since there are 4 of us on one lease, but whatever...

she is crazy.

thank god the lease runs out july 31.

does anyone else have any crazy roommate stories?

Doctor Q
May 26, 2003, 03:25 PM
People don't usually "snap" without cause. Maybe he and she (your male friend and your former best friend) have had an unpleasant interaction that neither of them told you about?

You might want to check the fine print in the lease agreement to see what it says about having other people in the house. If you and your roommates are college students, there may be a legal aid office on campus that could be of assistance. If you prefer to handle it on your own, you might want to agree with your roommate to stay out of each other's way and have your male friend do the same.

bombensington
May 26, 2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
People don't usually "snap" without cause. Maybe he and she (your male friend and your former best friend) have had an unpleasant interaction that neither of them told you about?

he's never liked her. he's always been not too happy because she hasn't treated me too well throughout our friendship...i am only just now realizing how crappy of a friend she was all along...i was just blind to it.

but anyway, she found him in my room and started screaming at him - at the top of her lungs...she was saying some pretty nasty, undeserved things to him. things that no one deserves. some real low blows. he called her a bitch and walked out. that's it.

You might want to check the fine print in the lease agreement to see what it says about having other people in the house. If you and your roommates are college students, there may be a legal aid office on campus that could be of assistance. If you prefer to handle it on your own, you might want to agree with your roommate to stay out of each other's way and have your male friend do the same.

yeah, i am getting a copy of the lease tomorrow, so i will check it for sure.

i'm not a college student, but they are. i took some time off of school, but going back in the fall, so i can't use the campus legal services.

he has no desire to ever see her again. so he's just not going to come over at all. which sucks because i feel like i should have a right to bring over whomever i want since my name is on the lease, but i hate drama so i'll just not have him there.

beatle888
May 26, 2003, 04:02 PM
legally she doesnt have a leg to stand on when it comes to a restraining order, she has to have a reason. your landlord cant even do anything about it. even if you were smoking pot in your own house, the police or the landlord most likely wouldnt really care. plus she would need proof. right now its hearsay.

put a lock on your door and tell her to mind her own business. i would suggest one of you moving out. if she wont than tell your landlord about the trouble shes causing you and ask if you can find someone to take over your part of the lease. you MIGHT be able to record her acting irrational and show it to your landlord, telling them that if they dont release you from your lease your only option is to take her to court and have the judge decide if its civil to keep you locked into the agreement under the circumstances.

if you do this, no judge will excuse it. he will make one of you leave, making the landlord except the decision.

dont just leave her there with your name still on the lease.

mymemory
May 26, 2003, 04:18 PM
When I was in the states I never had a good relation with my roomates. Actually was my worst experience with other humans in my life. I had roomates from the US and from my country. I made mistakes with an american one because you have to consider one thing:

It is the first time we are living outside our houses and in the back of our mind we expect from every body to handle us as we do with our parents, the problem is that our roomates think the same, that is why most of the time they (and we) go to the extreme. The situations are really sick some times.

I remember well that I move with a venezuelan guy and the next day he told me that he wanted to buy forniture and that I had to pay half for what he wanted, I told him I didn't have the money and I wasn't interested in getting forniture (I had a year already in the school and he had just a week in the US), he told me that he was tired of dealing with poor people and if I didn't want to buy anything I had to move out (do I have to tell he was momys only kid?). So, I got to that appartment a friday and by monday I was in another place. Another guy moved with him and 2 days later took all his money, counterfeited his signature and took $1000 from his bank account and dissapear.

But with the other venezuelan guys it wasn't that much better, it was but not too much. I was very organized with the bills and they didn't pay rent on time or power bill, etc. The carpet of the appartment was very nasty. After I eat I use to wash the dishes but they do it at the end of the week! so every time I need to do something I had to wash what I need to use while they had everything clean by me, etc.

Living with roomate is a pain because there is not actual "herarchy". It si not like living with your girlfriend or stuff. We pay 50/50 and we have equal rights, if I want to smoke pot you have to deal with it and if I want to have a party too.

Roomates are a pain, specially when there is no money!

wdlove
May 26, 2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by bombensington
i am going through a totally annoying situation with a roommate.

basically, she used to be my best friend...then one day she snapped. she doesn't like one of my other friends, and when she found him in my room one day, she flipped out and said she was calling the police...seriously he has never given her a reason to call the police.

so now she's threatened to file a restraining order against him and write a letter to the apartment managers saying that i let him smoke pot in the apt...which isn't true. she told me she wants me evicted. i don't see how that is possible since there are 4 of us on one lease, but whatever...

she is crazy.

I'm sorry to hear about that problem that you are having bombensington. I hope that you will find the advice helpful. It sounds like your roommate needs to growup. Real life can truly be stanger than fiction!;)

trebblekicked
May 26, 2003, 08:44 PM
she is crazy.

damn...that sucks. sorry! i've had a couple of nasty experiences w/ roomates. When i got my first apartment, i moved in with a friend from college. he was a good guy (and still is, i suppose) but he had hidden a nasty drug addiction from me and our other roomate. he contained his addiction for like three months, but began to unravel fast after that. he stole our stuff and sold it to pay for drugs, started dealing, etc etc. it got pretty ugly. i moved out mid-lease, and he got clean and last i heard was doing pretty well...

the other story was basically an ******* for a roommate. he was such a jerk i decided paying rent at two places was better than staying there. i moved out and payed another 6 months rent, but retained my sanity at my own place.

don't be a prisoner in your own house. it will drive you crazy. if you guys can't coexist, it's far better for you to split. good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

bombensington
May 26, 2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by beatle888
legally she doesnt have a leg to stand on when it comes to a restraining order, she has to have a reason. your landlord cant even do anything about it. even if you were smoking pot in your own house, the police or the landlord most likely wouldnt really care. plus she would need proof. right now its hearsay.

put a lock on your door and tell her to mind her own business. i would suggest one of you moving out. if she wont than tell your landlord about the trouble shes causing you and ask if you can find someone to take over your part of the lease. you MIGHT be able to record her acting irrational and show it to your landlord, telling them that if they dont release you from your lease your only option is to take her to court and have the judge decide if its civil to keep you locked into the agreement under the circumstances.

if you do this, no judge will excuse it. he will make one of you leave, making the landlord except the decision.

dont just leave her there with your name still on the lease.

i totally agree - even if he did, there's no way to prove it! he allegedly did this when there was no one there but him. ha! good luck proving that one.

i put a key lock on the door today, so that takes care of that. thank god she put one on her door too - i don't want her accusing me of stealing anything from her (not that she had anything anyway...i'm the one with the computer, dv cam, ipod, etc. in my room).

as far as the court system is concerned...the lease runs out july 31 of this year - 2 months away. by the time she would file papers, they'd serve me, i'd contest it, they'd set a court date...it'd be time to move out.

i highly doubt that she could make any of this stick, and i'm thinking a judge would just laugh in her face if she tried to bring any of this to court anyway - it's pretty minor as roommate squabbles go...i've not stolen anything of hers, i've not been late with bills. the worst thing i did was bring someone in the house that she didn't like. i would guess if (and that's a big if, i'm pretty sure she's just blowing smoke) she tries legal action they'll just tell us we have 2 months and to deal with it.

i can certainly ignore her for 2 months.

and besides...the other roommates are on my side about this anyway. they don't want the lease to be broken at all.

thanks for your concern.

i just know how to pick 'em, don't i?

rainman::|:|
May 26, 2003, 09:22 PM
Two things.

First, in any given situation, you have a 90% chance that your roommate will NOT get along well for long. Especially since they're a pig. :D

Secondly, NEVER have a friend for a roommate-- or even someone you know beforehand, because you've already established a relationship dynamic. Virtually always ends very badly... i've seen it many times (firsthand)...

:)
pnw

bombensington
May 26, 2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
Secondly, NEVER have a friend for a roommate-- or even someone you know beforehand, because you've already established a relationship dynamic. Virtually always ends very badly... i've seen it many times (firsthand)...

oh how i've learned that lesson now. ;)

but hey, i know from now on what to do.

girls are so dramatic. i guess that's why i can get along with guys much better.

mymemory
May 26, 2003, 09:43 PM
I would say the oposite, know very well your roomate. I have some friends with some strange abits but I know I can deal with that in a roomate situation.

About the girl, tell her to go for it, she have to prove everything, just when she realise all the paper work and time she have to spend she will live things like that if there is not some one at the court house that put her in her place first. I know that the system whant to take care of more important things than that one.

After that I would tell her that I can suit her for stressing me out and triying to aply false charges on me, you have a case, she doesn't. Of course all of that is to make her see how paranohic and stupid she is acting.

vniow
May 26, 2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by paulwhannel

Well I'm screwed then...

Or maybe not...

bombensington
May 26, 2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by vniow
Well I'm screwed then...

Or maybe not...

just be careful. when you have people who've known each other for so long...they can get 'comfortable.'

i remember the first time i moved out of my parents' house and into the dorms...the girl and i walked on eggshells, sort of, for a long time - for some reason, some people treat strangers they're living with better than their friends.

vniow
May 26, 2003, 10:06 PM
just be careful. when you have people who've known each other for so long...they can get 'comfortable.'

Ugh, I really wsh I hadn't posted that now that I think about it but whatever...it may turn out to be not what I thought but ahhhhh.....

The thing is...right now in my life...ideally I would have a roommate as a friend since I'm going through a lot of crap now and the thing I need most right now is someone to talk to (in person, face to face) so a roommate/friend combo type thing would be better for my current situation I think but that's just me...heh, I haven't even talked to this person that I have in mind for a few months though so yeah..its complicated and none of this probably made any sense whatsoever but right now I don't feel like I have much as a choice since I don't feel I have anyone else to turn to....

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=252654

beatle888
May 26, 2003, 10:13 PM
i hope everything is alright. do you have any family to talk to? if not, try a councelor. just to unload. take it easy, life can really make one feel like ***** and other times you feel like the man with the plan. just remember that "all things change" try to keep your head and spirits up. its times like these that you get to excercise your ability to pull yourself out of a difficult situation.

just take it easy, one step at a time :)

G4scott
May 26, 2003, 10:50 PM
I'm going to be rooming with one of my friends from high school. I don't think we'll do too bad. We've had some arguments, and we're not really stingy about what each other does in the room...

shadowfax
May 26, 2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by G4scott
I'm going to be rooming with one of my friends from high school. I don't think we'll do too bad. We've had some arguments, and we're not really stingy about what each other does in the room... i suspect that already-friends guys would have a much better chance of successful rooming than two already-friends girls. not to be mysogynistic, but girls seem to keep vendettas and be much more subtly poisonous when they fight. with a guy, usually you don't intrude on each other in such curious ways, and a fist fight solves things so much quicker :D

but really, though. i think it depends on the person, whether you know them beforehand or not. i am one of those cleanly, meticulous people who avoids much talking and is bothered by, well, my sister's or anyone's habits of leaving crap everywhere. i know some friends with whom i know i would get along reasonably, and some i know i wouldn't.

bombensington
May 26, 2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by G4scott
I'm going to be rooming with one of my friends from high school. I don't think we'll do too bad. We've had some arguments, and we're not really stingy about what each other does in the room...

i really think guys can be easier to live with than girls. there's just SO much drama to deal with girls.

i'd rather live with all guys. not that i'm one of those wierd girls who always hates other girls, but...i just don't like girls' issues. it's so dumb to me.

shadowfax
May 26, 2003, 11:12 PM
i really think guys can be easier to live with than girls. there's just SO much drama to deal with girls.

i'd rather live with all guys. not that i'm one of those wierd girls who always hates other girls, but...i just don't like girls' issues. it's so dumb to me. hey look, someone agrees with me! i feel safer now :D

vniow
May 26, 2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by beatle888
i hope everything is alright. do you have any family to talk to? if not, try a councelor.

Heh, thanx for the support but people in my family are the first people I should talk to but the last I will (I know for a fact that many of them, [outside of my immediate family but others that are close] would flip and likely not talk to me for a long while) so yeah....I guess I should go talk to a counselor but I really feel that I should talk to someone I know and trust first before anybody else so....

Anywayz, sorry for taking this off topic to rant about my personal life..http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=251202

Carry on.

vniow
May 26, 2003, 11:19 PM

i'd rather live with all guys. not that i'm one of those wierd girls who always hates other girls, but...i just don't like girls' issues. it's so dumb to me.

Heh, I'm completely the opposite, I get along with other girls much better than guys, maybe it has to do with the fact that I hate men (well I hate everybody, just men more...http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=257466) so that may have something to do with it...

Edited to better convey sarcasm.

shadowfax
May 26, 2003, 11:28 PM
you probably get along with girls so well because you hate them, but not too much.

vniow
May 26, 2003, 11:30 PM
http://forums.tactical-ops.to/images/smilies/o_O.gif

beatle888
May 26, 2003, 11:32 PM
:(

shadowfax
May 26, 2003, 11:38 PM
wtf?

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/lol/spamato/spam-c07.jpg

comrade
May 26, 2003, 11:43 PM
I've got some stories...maybe I'll post some tomorrow.

But as far as advice, I would say its best to live with people you don't know then your friends in general, because it keeps house/apartment fights seperate from friends. Roomates can suck sometimes. Good luck. I'm lucly because mine are all out right now and I have the house to myself : )

rt_brained
May 27, 2003, 12:54 AM
I've found that loud and vigorous practicing of handheld weapons in the bedroom, followed by the disposal of the occasional smashed pumpkin head or two in the trash will calm even the unruliest of roommates. HIIYEEE-AHH!

shadowfax
May 27, 2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by rt_brained
I've found that loud and vigorous practicing of handheld weapons in the bedroom, followed by the disposal of the occasional smashed pumpkin head or two in the trash will calm even the unruliest of roommates. HIIYEEE-AHH! i'm a bit afraid to ask just which handheld weaponry you're referring to.

Doctor Q
May 27, 2003, 01:40 AM
You probably have to check your lease on that too. It may say "each lease cosigner reserves the right to threaten and smash the property of the other cosigners as necessary to prevent them from acting like jerks." Oddly, they sometimes forget to include this important clause.

bombensington
May 27, 2003, 07:33 AM
You probably have to check your lease on that too. It may say "each lease cosigner reserves the right to threaten and smash the property of the other cosigners as necessary to prevent them from acting like jerks." Oddly, they sometimes forget to include this important clause.

yeah i'll definitely check out the lease with a microscope looking for that clause. ;)

heh, she hasn't shown up yet since thursday night, so that's a good thing, at least i get some extra time away from her.

i once had a roommate during my first go-round at college that would take my clothes, wear them, stain them, put them in her closet. i would find the clothes, and she would deny ever taking them. wha?!?

wdlove
May 27, 2003, 11:21 AM
yeah i'll definitely check out the lease with a microscope looking for that clause. ;)

heh, she hasn't shown up yet since thursday night, so that's a good thing, at least i get some extra time away from her.

i once had a roommate during my first go-round at college that would take my clothes, wear them, stain them, put them in her closet. i would find the clothes, and she would deny ever taking them. wha?!?

You mean that your roomate didn't have the courtesy to wash your clothes? I hope that it wasn't underwear also! Is the sharing of clothes more of a female thing, does seem odd to me!

bombensington
May 27, 2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
Is the sharing of clothes more of a female thing, does seem odd to me!

yeah i guess its a girl thing. i dont know. i am not a fan of sharing clothes all that much...since that occurrence. she was a crazy girl anyway...but honestly she wasn't the worst, so i cant complain too much. she just did some stuff to annoy me, none of it was too terrible.

like the time i was up in my bed (at ia state they loft the beds from the ceiling in some dorms, like mine) and she was...umm..."going at it" - if you know what i mean - on the floor below. five nights in a row, each a different guy. ha!

Foxer
May 27, 2003, 02:28 PM

As a guy, I take the opposite view. The last group living situation I had involved me and four women. It was the best. When i moved into the house, it was 3 men, 2 women - and that was much more difficult. As the other guys moved out I steered the new person selection process towards women and the whole thing became very nice. The house was kept clean, TV programming selection improved, they'd cook a little extra for the poor single guy every now and then. All I had to do was keep the lawn mowed, some occasional heavy lifting and avoid burping loudly. I got to go to bars and be seen with four good looking women. Plus, they always wanted to set me up with their firends, which is how I eventually met my now-wife. All in all, a sweet deal.

Including college, I've lived with 19 different room/house mates. Only had real, consistent difficulties with one of them. Luckily, the other four of us hated him, too, so we eventually made life too difficult for him the bear and he moved out. We had to destroy his car, but he did eventually leave...

shadowfax
May 27, 2003, 02:28 PM
yeah i guess its a girl thing. i dont know. i am not a fan of sharing clothes all that much...since that occurrence. she was a crazy girl anyway...but honestly she wasn't the worst, so i cant complain too much. she just did some stuff to annoy me, none of it was too terrible.
my sister has friends who just inordinately borrow her stuff. it's so odd. clothes--from nice coats to shirts--blow dryers, makeup, and so on... my sister lets them, and then when she hasn't got it back a week later, she bitches about it, and i say, 'you should have bitch-slapped them while you had the chance, before it cost you your stuff." she laughs and agrees and eventually gets it back. and then a week or a month later, she's complaining about how they borrowed something else and haven't returned it. that really bothers me. why can't you guys just refuse? does that make it some complicated psychological network of hard feelings and vendettas? humbug!

Foxer
May 27, 2003, 02:31 PM
Is the sharing of clothes more of a female thing, does seem odd to me!

I've never worn another man's clothes, and to my knoweldge no other man has ever worn mine (not that would want too). The women I know borrow and trade like some wierd commodities market.

wdlove
May 27, 2003, 04:54 PM

like the time i was up in my bed (at ia state they loft the beds from the ceiling in some dorms, like mine) and she was...umm..."going at it" - if you know what i mean - on the floor below. five nights in a row, each a different guy. ha!

So you had a bed like a hammock? Sounds a little scary to me! So that girl at it 5 night in a row, that must have been embarassing! :(

shadowfax
May 27, 2003, 05:00 PM
So you had a bed like a hammock? Sounds a little scary to me! So that girl at it 5 night in a row, that must have been embarassing! :( i'm sure there are people who get off to that more than get embarrassed from it :p :rolleyes:

bombensington
May 27, 2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
i'm sure there are people who get off to that more than get embarrassed from it :p :rolleyes:

it was more...umm...interesting, i should say.

she'd be a completely different person every night...one night it would be the shy little girl, the next night she'd be a rabid animal or something. it was pretty funny. every guy thought he was the only one to "treat her right" if you know what i mean. that was very funny.

and hearing the guys' pick-up lines was hilarious, too. some of them were sooooo lame.

wdlove, its not so much a hammock, because we used real beds. hmm, i don't really know how to explain it with words. basically it uses some great physics to keep it suspended in the air. if i can dig up a picture, i'll post it.

JesseJames
May 27, 2003, 06:29 PM
People aren't meant to live together happily and peacefully. That's why we're so spread out all over the planet. We can't stand eachother. Ha ha.
I haven't had any real bad problems with roommates yet. Just the usual hygiene dilemmas but it was mostly okay.

Doctor Q
May 27, 2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by JesseJames
People aren't meant to live together happily and peacefully. That's why we're so spread out all over the planet. We can't stand eachother. Ha ha.Oddly, we spread all over the planet so we could crowd into cities, leaving all the space in between unoccupied!

wdlove
May 27, 2003, 07:14 PM
it was more...umm...interesting, i should say.

she'd be a completely different person every night...one night it would be the shy little girl, the next night she'd be a rabid animal or something. it was pretty funny. every guy thought he was the only one to "treat her right" if you know what i mean. that was very funny.

and hearing the guys' pick-up lines was hilarious, too. some of them were sooooo lame.

wdlove, its not so much a hammock, because we used real beds. hmm, i don't really know how to explain it with words. basically it uses some great physics to keep it suspended in the air. if i can dig up a picture, i'll post it.

Thank you for trying to explain the bed. I think maybe you should win the most crappy roomate award! :p Will be very interested to see your photo! Just can't picture it in my mind, no mechanical ability! ;)

whooleytoo
May 28, 2003, 09:54 AM

Hmm, try beating this story:

I moved into a new house, without having met the other tennants (the landlord let each room separately). The first thing one of the housemates did was move the TV into his bedroom because he was afraid I'd steal it.. charming...

Apart from lounging around the house cracking jokes about his farting (!), endlessly complaining how much he hated the city and the people in it (!! he was from Scotland), making pretty disgusting comments about the other girls in the house - and I'm not easily offended! - it turns out he was having pretty nasty arguments with one of the girls in the house. Who, it turns out, was his cousin, and less than half his age. And they were dating.
And the fights were pretty physical, though I didn't see any first hand.

After one of the girls left, complaining he'd attacked her (police were called, but there were no witnesses) we eventually were able to get rid of him, basically by everyone telling him we hated his guts. Amazing what honesty will do for you! :)

Mike.

shadowfax
May 28, 2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by whooley

I moved into a new house, without having met the other tennants (the landlord let each room separately). The first thing one of the housemates did was move the TV into his bedroom because he was afraid I'd steal it.. charming...

Apart from lounging around the house cracking jokes about his farting (!), endlessly complaining how much he hated the city and the people in it (!! he was from Scotland), making pretty disgusting comments about the other girls in the house - and I'm not easily offended! - it turns out he was having pretty nasty arguments with one of the girls in the house. Who, it turns out, was his cousin, and less than half his age. And they were dating.
And the fights were pretty physical, though I didn't see any first hand.

After one of the girls left, complaining he'd attacked her (police were called, but there were no witnesses) we eventually were able to get rid of him, basically by everyone telling him we hated his guts. Amazing what honesty will do for you! :)

Mike. have you sold the soap opera rights to your story? that would work well, minus the happy ending part :D ;)

wdlove
May 28, 2003, 07:11 PM
have you sold the soap opera rights to your story? that would work well, minus the happy ending part :D ;)

Yes it definitley make a good plot for a sitcom on TV. You should get about writing, never know what a producer might like! ;)

bombensington
May 28, 2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by whooley

real life is truly stranger than fiction.

this whole roommate situation has me totally believing in karma...what goes around comes around, and i'd imagine one of these days she'll get her just desserts.

bcsimac
May 30, 2003, 10:44 PM
I have had only one roommate in my life. I was a freshman at Eastern Nazarene College back in the fall of 1996. The college had a rule that ya had to stay in the dorms if you were a freshman and required to have a roommate. This is a Christian university and there were other rules that really I had no problem with......with the exception of roommates and that freshman were only allowed to work in Environmental services or food services in work study......these rules I had major problems with. Anyway, I spent the first couple of weeks there by myself because I actually came three weeks earlier than required to get set up with disability services and counseling services and make sure I had a good psychiatrist to manage my ADHD medication. When all freshman had to come, my roommate moved into the room. What a nightmare it was! First Hector was from Hondorus and when he wanted to say something bad about me or make fun of me.....he would speak in Spanish which I can't understand........also he used to use it as a tool to ignore me when I tried to have a conversation with him about how he needed to turn his boombox off at 8 pm so I could concentrate on my studies. The first night he like takes over the room. He makes me change bunks. Moves my computer desk completely away from the phone socket and electric plug forcing me to have to go buy longer surge protectors and longer phone line to accomindate the longer distance. He put his stuff where my computer desk was. It was a boombox and sterio system and an amp system or something and basically he almost overloaded the surge protector.....I ended buying him one so that he didn't start a fire in our room. He ran the boombox all day long......blasting.....it was either latin music or dance music........and he ran it until sometimes 3 am. I asked him nicely over and over to turn it off at 8pm so I could do my studies and explained to him that disruptive and loud noises disrupt me and cause me to have serious attention and concentration problems and explained that I had ADHD and took special medication and had a specific diet for it and that I also had a very structured schedule and study methodology. I also explained to him that complete silence was required for me to study because anything can break my attention and put my attention on something else......ADHD people lose attention on one thing and put in another thing very easily and forget that they have responsibilities when they have had their surroundings disrupted or interrrupted. He told me to screw. Threatened me several times......spoke in spanish often.....I had no idea what he was saying when he did.......and then a couple of times beat the living day lights out of me and sent me to the emergency room three times with severe contusions and cuts.....and he busted one of my front teeth......all because I asked him to turn the radio off at 8 pm for studying and to be able to relax and go to bed at 11 as my family required. One time, he took my softball bat too me and almost broke my arm. I came from a very domestic violent home and I couldn't take this kind of beating anymore and so I went into bi-polar disorder and had to get more medications and help. I had set up the phone service before he had come because I needed to use the internet to email family so to save on the phone bill and etc. When he got there he took over the phone line. He was on the phone all night talking to tons of girls.......every time I turned around he was on the phone talking to a girl.....when I asked him kindly to get off the phone because I need to get on the net for a class assignment or had to call my family to check on my dying grandfather........he would say something in spanish and throw something at me and one time he pushed me against the wall and tried to choke me and told me to shut the F up and that I was getting on his nerves and was a little nothing that he wanted to get rid of and that he does whatever he wants to do whenever he wants and I had to accept it. He also went to tell me I was a stupid nobody......a retard. One time my mother called and he told to her F off and hung up on her.....and another time he told her that she wasn't allowed to call us anymore and that he was going to beat the crap out of their wimpy s***. He put up pornography all over our room......we are talking a naked pamela anderson and madonna and a bunch of models. He often bragged about wearing armani clothes and how he was better than me because of them. He was Mr. Pretty face and Mr. Latin Hunk.....and see I messed up his Rep! I was just a backwoods podunk hick from the country and had a poor mechanic for a dad as far as he was concerned.......and we are dirty beasts he told me. He ruined my chance of making the basketball team by causing me to reinjure my ankle when he pushed me down and my ankle got caught in the bunk bed.....I never recovered in time to make the team. He then took over my computer......three times I had to do restores because he messed up my Mac so bad it wasn't funny. Once he threw my Mac into the hallway and so I had to get it repaired....thankfully under warranty. He wouldn't even let me use my own computer! I caught him looking at pornography.......which could have gotten me in serious trouble......that is a offense punishable by removal from school and in my case removal from the minister's list.....permanently......basically he was trying to destroy my chance of getting into the ministry. When my mom came for a visit, he gave her a shove.....and this is a woman who had her ankle broken twice and one of the nurses accidently dropped her foot the second time and so she shattered my mom's ankle and she had to have reconstructive surgery.......she couldn't take a shove like he gave her.......I had to call security to help me get her up because she was down on the floor in tears.....absolutely no respect! He kicked the soccer ball in our room all the time when he wasn't in class.....the constant banging of the soccer ball game me headaches. He would intentionally spray collognes and perfumes and other fragrances that I was allergic too........he hoped I would get ashma and leave or something. He also set fire to some of my clothes when he was mad at me for something. Finally the RD made him leave my room and moved him when they caught him drinking in my room and saw how badly he had beaten me. My first semester was a total waste....the college waited until then to move him and solve the problem......and I didn't make the basketball team, had hospital bills like crazy, was on Depakote for bi-polar disorder, depressed like crazy, had dentist bills like crazy, and a 1.5 gpa to boot. Thankfully the college realized that for me I had to be without a roommate.....in fact my doctor ordered it and told the college that if they didn't accomindate me they would be in breach of the Americans with Disabilities Act......but this was only in my second semester......then in my second semster my sick grandfather died of bone cancer and pneumonia, my great aunt died of brain tumor, my sister was hit by a car walking home from school, and my father kicked mom out of the house and the town.......suffice it to say my experience with roommates and college was not a picnic! The end result was homelessness, the streets, my mom and sis and bro and aunt in shelter, and owing the college 3500 bucks and having all kinds of medical bills.

bcsimac
May 30, 2003, 10:59 PM
My graduation present.....a diamond watch was stolen......and one of hector's friends stole some of my checks and used to write bad checks and forge my name...........what got him caught was the fact that I don't print........I only write in cursive.......I didn't learn how to print until 5th grade.....I learned cursive in kindergarten from my mom who was a substitute teacher for several school districts and private schools. All the checks were written in print........I brought my checkbooks that had carbon copies of checks I had written and all of them were in cursive......they other thing is that I had a lot of cancelled checks and all of them were in cursive......the cops realized it couldn't have been me since I never signed anything in print and never wrote anything in print..........and there one other thing that got his friend caught......his friend used for sky equipment and skateboards......both things I can't do because past ankle injury and because I didn't want to injure my ankle and miss out on playing basketball on the team. Hector's friend was dismissed from the school and his parents repaid my family......this kid wrote checks for like $1000.......he got the checks from Hector by the way

shadowfax
May 31, 2003, 12:08 AM
good god, have you ever heard of paragraphs or "healthy usage of ellipsis"?

lol.

Rower_CPU
May 31, 2003, 12:09 AM

lol.

Thank you. I thought I was the only person anal enough to remark on that.

voicegy
May 31, 2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Thank you. I thought I was the only person anal enough to remark on that.

(raising my hand as well!):rolleyes:

Gosh, I hope no one decides to quote string that story to remark on it!

Sorry, bcsimac, that episode was probably enough to keep you from ever having a roommate again in your life...if I had a roomie who decided to toss my Mac out in the hallway, he or she would be going right after it.:mad:

Doctor Q
May 31, 2003, 01:06 AM
What a story, bcsimac! I think it was appropriate to put it in one huge paragraph because it's like a life story flashing before [y]our eyes. I hope it is ancient history and you are OK now.

rt_brained
May 31, 2003, 03:34 AM
one word, spam posts will not be tolerated around here...it's a waste of bandwidth...

bcsimac
May 31, 2003, 07:36 AM
Actually Shadowfax, yes, I have. The problem is that I have gotten into a habit of over using them. I have forgotten a lot of grammatical rules that I used to be a stickler about in the past. I used to be very anal about grammar. I have to admit though that my overuse reflects the current state of my thought processes. I have a hard time organizing my thoughts these days. It didn't use to be that way. I have been through so much turmoil that I just have everything sort of jumbled up like one big sentence or something. I hope someday to have a chance to review an up to date English manual and get my grammar straightened out again. I used to be an A student in Grammar and English a long time ago.

lol.

bcsimac
May 31, 2003, 07:42 AM
Doctor Q,

Yeah, I am OK now. The new administration at ENC has forgiven my debt and expunged my record. They finally gave me my transcript and apologized for not taking proper action back in 1996. I am just thankful to get that debt off my shoulders and off my credit report. I am also glad that they finally realized that I had been wronged.

What a story, bcsimac! I think it was appropriate to put it in one huge paragraph because it's like a life story flashing before [y]our eyes. I hope it is ancient history and you are OK now.

bcsimac
May 31, 2003, 07:54 AM
Oh yeah, definitely no roommate ever again. I am not even taking a chance. I have since lived alone, with my fiance's family, or with my family. I am getting married so now I will never have to deal with roommates again. No college now can force me to have a roommate because I will be married with a wife. Thank goodness! I wish I could have done that with Hector, but the RA wouldn't let me do anything. The RA kept on insisting on this let's try to get along sessions he had with Hector and I. He kept saying I hope you guys can get along and be good friends someday. I know he was honestly trying, but I don't think he was doing what was best for me. It took me appealing to the RD to get Hector out.

Originally posted by voicegy
(raising my hand as well!):rolleyes:

Gosh, I hope no one decides to quote string that story to remark on it!

Sorry, bcsimac, that episode was probably enough to keep you from ever having a roommate again in your life...if I had a roomie who decided to toss my Mac out in the hallway, he or she would be going right after it.:mad:

eyelikeart
May 31, 2003, 08:13 AM
bcsimac...

Your 4 posts in a row was not needed. U could have achieved the same thing without having to quote 4 different posts.

This is YOUR spam (http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python/Sounds/Spam.au) warning. :rolleyes:

kylos
May 31, 2003, 09:36 AM
Speaking of spam, why should the poop master care? That thread has a lot less worth than 4 consecutive posts. Multiple posts is just a presentation issue. It can make things a lot more readable instead of throwing it all in one post.:rolleyes:

shadowfax
May 31, 2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by bcsimac
Actually Shadowfax, yes, I have. The problem is that I have gotten into a habit of over using them. I have forgotten a lot of grammatical rules that I used to be a stickler about in the past. I used to be very anal about grammar. I have to admit though that my overuse reflects the current state of my thought processes. I have a hard time organizing my thoughts these days. It didn't use to be that way. I have been through so much turmoil that I just have everything sort of jumbled up like one big sentence or something. I hope someday to have a chance to review an up to date English manual and get my grammar straightened out again. I used to be an A student in Grammar and English a long time ago. i didn't mean to be ridiculing; i hope you didn't take it that way. i was just joking around :D. it was really late last night and i just saw this monstrous block of text with thousands of little '...'s everywhere, and i screamed bloody murder and ran to the arms of my english teacher...ok, scratch that last part, but i was just saying, it looks freaky to just have a block there. i'm not critiquing the stylistic aesthetic, which is fine. though you might be better served by a more standard stream-of consicousness.

bcsimac
May 31, 2003, 12:52 PM
No, I didn't take it that way. I was just admitting that I have a bad habit and a problem that needs to be ironed out someday. Actually, I am pretty frustrated with myself these days. I got rejected by another college recently, and I am beginning to wonder if I ever will get in one again. My chances look slimmer everyday. It just seems like this roommate problem, family problems, the instability of my life, my learning disability, past psychological problems, self esteem issues, and poverty all add up to one big mess that no college is going to ever work with especially if they are a theological school or Bible college. Christian colleges expect their students to not have financial problems(ie bad credit), family problems(ie abuse, alcoholism, dysfunctional family members, divorce, separation, and etc), and psychological problems. Many of these schools first of all don't believe in psychology or learning disabilities (ADHD is seen as either a lack of discipline, lack of complete surrender of mind to Christ and the Holy Spirit, sin, or an excuse for laziness), have a zero tolerance for divorce, and expect good stewardship of money. The problem is that I am not the one at fault about any of these. I simply was born in a family that is a mess and had a terrible roommate who had no respect for me or my family and treated me like dirt. It doesn't mean I believe any differently than them. It doesn't mean I am less intelligent than the other students. It doesn't mean that I am any less called to the minstry than any other ministerial student or candidate. I wish they realized that I would give anything to have stability in my life and family and to have a normal functional brain. As for a more standard stream-of-consciousness or thought, I don't think that will ever happen for me. I will have to wait until I get into Heaven for that to change.

i didn't mean to be ridiculing; i hope you didn't take it that way. i was just joking around :D. it was really late last night and i just saw this monstrous block of text with thousands of little '...'s everywhere, and i screamed bloody murder and ran to the arms of my english teacher...ok, scratch that last part, but i was just saying, it looks freaky to just have a block there. i'm not critiquing the stylistic aesthetic, which is fine. though you might be better served by a more standard stream-of consicousness.

Rower_CPU
May 31, 2003, 12:55 PM
What's so hard about hitting the return key now and then and adding paragraph spaces?

Honestly, seeing huge blocks of text makes me ignore it faster than you can say "computer eye strain". ;)

shadowfax
May 31, 2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Honestly, seeing huge blocks of text makes me ignore it faster than you can say "computer eye strain". ;) this is why it's good to use paragraphs and be concise. you'll notice in really good newspapers that articles are much shorter than in a run-of-the-mill paper. that's because no one wants to read a novel to get the news. the best writers make it short, sweet, and well-organized. that's what people pay money to read in a paper. not to place those rigorous standards on you, bcsimac, but i must confess i didn't read your post till after i had made that post saying to use paragraphs. i often skip over large blocks of text because it doesn't feel worth it.

bcsimac
May 31, 2003, 01:57 PM
Sigh!

Shadowfax, I know what you are saying; and it is very true. I used to be a writer for my high school paper and college paper. I also was a part-time editor for the college paper too. I used to edit all the letters and documents my mom typed up for my dad's business. I drove my mom nuts with constant corrections and crossouts that used to be all over her document after I was done proof-reading it. That was when I was a good writer, editor, and english student. To tell you the truth, I wish I could return to that standard.

As I said before though, my thoughts and way of communicating has been all discombulated into one big mess. I have been out of practice for so long. I have had to worry about survival and dealing with the mess that was my life. I have had to really concentrate on just staying off the streets and not getting depressed so that now I have totally forgotten about things I learned in school. It doesn't help that I am ADHD either. One of the symptoms of ADHD is that people with it are very disorganized and can talk incessantly (sp?) without thinking about it. My brother used to be called motor mouth because he could talk and talk and talk without even taking a breathe or a break. People couldn't keep up with him. I have reverted to the same behavior and writing style. I think part of it is that I have been working so hard to overcome all the stuff I have been put through that I have lost the ability to discipline myself like I used to or to consciencely think about everything I am about to type or say.

this is why it's good to use paragraphs and be concise. you'll notice in really good newspapers that articles are much shorter than in a run-of-the-mill paper. that's because no one wants to read a novel to get the news. the best writers make it short, sweet, and well-organized. that's what people pay money to read in a paper. not to place those rigorous standards on you, bcsimac, but i must confess i didn't read your post till after i had made that post saying to use paragraphs. i often skip over large blocks of text because it doesn't feel worth it.

shadowfax
May 31, 2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by bcsimac
Sigh!

Shadowfax, I know what you are saying; and it is very true. I used to be a writer for my high school paper and college paper. I also was a part-time editor for the college paper too. I used to edit all the letters and documents my mom typed up for my dad's business. I drove my mom nuts with constant corrections and crossouts that used to be all over her document after I was done proof-reading it. That was when I was a good writer, editor, and english student. To tell you the truth, I wish I could return to that standard.

As I said before though, my thoughts and way of communicating has been all discombulated into one big mess. I have been out of practice for so long. I have had to worry about survival and dealing with the mess that was my life. I have had to really concentrate on just staying off the streets and not getting depressed so that now I have totally forgotten about things I learned in school. It doesn't help that I am ADHD either. One of the symptoms of ADHD is that people with it are very disorganized and can talk incessantly (sp?) without thinking about it. My brother used to be called motor mouth because he could talk and talk and talk without even taking a breathe or a break. People couldn't keep up with him. I have reverted to the same behavior and writing style. I think part of it is that I have been working so hard to overcome all the stuff I have been put through that I have lost the ability to discipline myself like I used to or to consciencely think about everything I am about to type or say. my best friend is a genius that has some of the same issues. he used to write for his school paper and was just one of the best editors i have ever known. he'd also read more widely than most english majors with a diploma. but he moved across the country his senior year and got depressed as hell. he's over that, thank god, but he's stopped caring at all about the technicalities of writing.

it's no matter about your writing. we are just chatting. i'm hardly even addressing it to you anymore lol.

tpjunkie
May 31, 2003, 02:36 PM
Well, my current roommate situation is really nothing as bad as what bcsimac's was, but here it goes anyway. I live in a suite at my college, which means i have a roommate, and and two suitemates who we share a common room with. My suitemate is a pothead kleptomaniac, and has stolen a huge amount of stuff from me and my roommate. The other suitemate moved out of the room after the first term when his friend got an apartment, and I don't blame him.

My suitemate has on several occasions stolen full 30 packs of beer out of my fridge when I'm out of the room for dinner or something. This is annoying, and I've spoken to him about it, but its really not too bad when you look at the other things he's stolen, including all the food I kept in my room, various DVDs and cds from my room, a pocket knife and flashlight off my keychain, my black light and black light poster, he broke a light that he was attempting to steal from my room, and left the glass all over the place, some of which I stepped on. Basically anything not nailed down disappeared from my bedroom.

Also, when the other suitemate moved out of the room, the one who is still here moved all of the furniture from the common room (which the college provided) into his bedroom, leaving a futon and a dresser in the common room. He also moved the TV, playstation, and dreamcast (which he did bring in the first place) into his bedroom. Did I forget to mention he's a 6'5" 280 pound football player who has violently tried to attack my roommate and I with a hammer when he was drunk, and has attmepted to break down our bedroom door several times?

Aside from all the theft, my suitemate's room has become just about the biggest room for blazing in the dorm. I really wouldn't have any problem with this except for the fact that even when he's not around, there are people smoking in his room, sometimes people i've never even seen. He's gone for the weekend, and last night I locked the common room door before I passed out (drunk), to ensure a solid night of sleep with no noise coming from next door (usually during a session, someone will crank up the volume on my suitemate's 500 watt stereo system. And 500 watts is not an exageration, its the surround sound system from a DVD player), making sleep all but impossible. Anyway, after locking the door for the night, I woke up at around noon to hear banging around and coughing and laughing next door, as some random people were smoking. These people either had my suitemate's key to the room or they had to have asked security to open the room up for them...the only thing is you usually have to prove that you live in the room, so this seems unlikely.

My roommate also noticed a lot of things missing as well. When my soap dish (and the soap inside) disappeared, and I found them a week later in my suitemates room, I got really pissed off, and was plotting some kind of revenge, until my roommate confessed something to me two nights ago. His shampoo bottle kept disappearing from the bedroom and reappearing in our suitemate's room.
He had gotten fed up with having to find it and steal it back everyday, so he bought a new one that he kept hidden really well, and well, the decency rules of these forums prohibit me from stating outright what he did, but lets just say that the shampoo now has an added "There's Something About Mary" hairstyling effect to it.

My suitemate's been using it daily for over a week. :D

Edited because I forgot a few things

shadowfax
May 31, 2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by tpjunkie
My suitemate's been using it daily for over a week. :D

Edited because I forgot a few things you know, as a guy, the first reaction is to find a crowbar and take a whack, but it's so much more fun, on second thought, to take revenge your way--never seen something about mary, but i assume your roommate urinated/"emitted" into the shampoo bottle?

find a friend with a contact-based STD and get him to make contact with some valuable stuff you buy this weekend. make sure no one else can touch it though ;)

alset
May 31, 2003, 04:02 PM
I lived with a guy who ate all my food and used my soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc, wore my clothes.... I had to get an army footlocker to keep everything that didn't have to be refrigerated locked up.

He also attacked a guy with a gun who was robbing us. I didn't appreciate that. I would rather call the police than get shot because he attacks the guy.

Dan

wdlove
May 31, 2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by alset
I lived with a guy who ate all my food and used my soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc, wore my clothes.... I had to get an army footlocker to keep everything that didn't have to be refrigerated locked up.

He also attacked a guy with a gun who was robbing us. I didn't appreciate that. I would rather call the police than get shot because he attacks the guy.

Dan

That really sounds scary Dan! I hope that you can move out of that situation for you own safety and peace of mind! ;)

tpjunkie
Jun 1, 2003, 02:34 PM
Oh yes, it was definitely an "emission"

shadowfax
Jun 1, 2003, 02:59 PM
still, though, infecting the guy with say herpes would just be hilarious.

this thread scares me. i have to go to college next year and be in a dorm :(. i hope i don't have a roommate, as i asked. i have a low tolerance for kleptomaniacs and noisy idiots. i'm also going to the honors dorms, so chances are there won't be any football players there to be bigger than me :)

bombensington
Jun 1, 2003, 04:31 PM
this thread scares me. i have to go to college next year and be in a dorm :(. i hope i don't have a roommate, as i asked. i have a low tolerance for kleptomaniacs and noisy idiots. i'm also going to the honors dorms, so chances are there won't be any football players there to be bigger than me :)

i loved the dorms. i specifically requested the coed dorms...it was the best. there was always something going on, people to meet, friends to make.

the people who lived by themselves in the dorms...well...they just seemed more sheltered. they didn't want to hang out with the rest of us, didn't seem like they were as much fun...

i think that living with a roommate in the dorms is a good idea. you'll learn a lot about life and growing up. it's not all that bad, really.

Rower_CPU
Jun 1, 2003, 04:53 PM
i loved the dorms. i specifically requested the coed dorms...it was the best. there was always something going on, people to meet, friends to make.

the people who lived by themselves in the dorms...well...they just seemed more sheltered. they didn't want to hang out with the rest of us, didn't seem like they were as much fun...

i think that living with a roommate in the dorms is a good idea. you'll learn a lot about life and growing up. it's not all that bad, really.

I agree...as long as you get along with your roommate. It can be hell otherwise.

I was lucky enough to have someone I got along very well with. It was a great experience for me.

Regardless of how well you get along with your roommate, it's a good growing experience to live in the dorms.

vniow
Jun 1, 2003, 06:48 PM

Awww...you could stay with me if I have a place of my own by then...http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=257466

shadowfax
Jun 1, 2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by vniow
Awww...you could stay with me if I have a place of my own by then...http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=257466 that would doubtless be an experience all its own :eek:

vniow
Jun 1, 2003, 08:46 PM
that would doubtless be an experience all its own :eek:

I'm not that intresting...really.http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=251202http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=251618

Stelliform
Jun 1, 2003, 09:53 PM
i'm also going to the honors dorms,

I have 4 words for you.... All Night Lan Parties!

I never lived in the dorms, but I hung out at my friend's room alot. (And I ran alot of network cable in that dorm. (This is befored wired campus dorms for you young folks. :))) Our best run connected 3 floors. :D

bcsimac
Jun 2, 2003, 11:50 AM
Some of us need our own room. It doesn't mean we don't want to hang out or be friendly. In fact, I really enjoyed hanging out with the guys from the basketball team....of course that also was because I love basketball and wanted to be on the team. Still I liked them as they were. I also hung out with my fellow ministry majors. One of them, Dave, became a good friend and is going to be my best man in my wedding. It just wasn't in my best interest to have a roommate. I came from a bad home. I had a learning disability. I had been abused so much that I didn't need the abuse I got from Hector. I am just glad I left college and the dorm with at least the RD as a friend and one other good friend.

tpjunkie
Jun 3, 2003, 05:58 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love living in a suite, it means I can set up a beirut table in the common room and have parties all night, and most of my friends get along fine with their roommates, in fact I know a few whole suites that are living together noext year. The key thing is just living with people you have respect for, and who respect you. Ok, so my suite may be lacking that, but we've found ways to deal with that...including "liberating" a handle of Captain's and a 12 pack of Beast last night