PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV as Server

joehack
Feb 9, 2007, 04:41 PM
Has someone else thought aboout using Apple TV as a Linux server? The hardware specs sound promissing, at least as a mini server.

Jochen

timswim78
Feb 9, 2007, 04:49 PM
I guess that you could get linux on there as long as you can plug a drive into the USB port or hook the internal drive up to another computer.

What exactly would you want to do with it, once you had linux running on it?

Maxwell Smart
Feb 9, 2007, 05:03 PM
I don't think for the cost it would really be worth making it into a server when you could make a server with better specs for much less.

mashinhead
Feb 9, 2007, 09:31 PM
does anyone have one of these yet, when do they ship? How hard is it to upgrade the HD. I think 40 gb is kinda skimp.

Super Macho Man
Feb 10, 2007, 12:10 AM
I don't think for the cost it would really be worth making it into a server when you could make a server with better specs for much less.
Size, power consumption, & noise

Super Macho Man
Feb 10, 2007, 12:14 AM
Has someone else thought aboout using Apple TV as a Linux server? The hardware specs sound promissing, at least as a mini server.

Jochen

A used G4 Mini would probably cost about the same and would be much easier to set up as a server. Just run OS X headless and it's basically FreeBSD, or VNC into it. You could also get a wired ethernet port and a firewire port for adding external storage. The only thing you'd miss is 802.11n.

biturbomunkie
Feb 10, 2007, 12:16 AM
40gb isn't an ideal capacity for any kind of file server.

it'd be more fun to buy a used PII box for $25 and put 3 500gb hdds in it. :)

balamw
Feb 10, 2007, 12:19 AM
A used G4 Mini would probably cost about the same and would be much easier to set up as a server. Just run OS X headless and it's basically FreeBSD, or VNC into it. You could also get a wired ethernet port and a firewire port for adding external storage. The only thing you'd miss is 802.11n.

I don't disagree, you also get a built in optical drive but :apple:TV does already have the wired Ethernet port. Does the G4 mini have Gigabit or 100BaseT?

FWIW The Airport Extreme also looks like a good candidate for a linux box, I'm surprised that (to my knowledge) no one ever got Linux on the Airport Express....

B

mrfrosty
Feb 10, 2007, 01:45 AM
If you want a little linux server get an NSLU2. They are very small, take 2 usb 2 disks, totally silent, easily overclocked loads of fun to tinker with !!!!

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/

joehack
Feb 10, 2007, 02:21 AM
Bhe 40GB harddisk can be upgraded. But for me, the big advantage of Apple TV is (hopefully) it's power consumtion and size.
I want to replace my current PIII notebook that serves as DNS, LDAP, NTP and what ever server.

Jochen