Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mw00001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/telecoms/article1364105.ece

MOBILE-PHONE companies are planning to launch a music-download service intended to scupper Apple’s hopes for its eagerly-awaited iPhone, the music-playing mobile that will not reach Europe until later this year.

A London firm called Omnifone has developed the software that will power the subscription service, offering unlimited access to more than 1m songs for a small weekly fee. Vodafone and the 3 Group are among more than 20 mobile network operators said to be working with Omnifone.

The project is also understood to have the backing of Universal Music and other leading music companies. The first roll-outs of the service are expected to take place in the next few months.

Apple’s unveiling of its iPhone last month has increased the pressure on the mobile industry to accelerate the development of the mobile-music market. Music has long been seen as a potential moneyspinner for mobile revenues for the mobile companies. Like an iPod, the iPhone will be “side-loaded” with music through a computer.

Omnifone has presented itself as the solution to this dilemma. The company believes its music service will enable mobile companies to generate additional revenue from customers, who will pay less than £10 a month.

Omnifone was founded by Rob Lewis, the entrepreneur who previously ran Silicon.com, the technology-news website.

The handset software has been designed to offer an “iPod- like” experience, including easy access to the playlist.

The system will also intelligently manage memory space? deleting rarely played songs to make room for new downloads.

However, one big advantage claimed for Omnifone is that its software works on three-quar- ters of existing handsets, and over slower “2.5G” mobile networks. This greatly increases the market size. Many mobile applications struggle to cope with the huge variety of handsets, operating systems and networks.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I don't know how this threatens iPhone at all since its about trying to be a smartphone. This article refers to download music service - more competition for iTunes, which is always good.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/telecoms/article1364105.ece

MOBILE-PHONE companies are planning to launch a music-download service intended to scupper Apple’s hopes for its eagerly-awaited iPhone, the music-playing mobile that will not reach Europe until later this year.

A London firm called Omnifone has developed the software that will power the subscription service, offering unlimited access to more than 1m songs for a small weekly fee. Vodafone and the 3 Group are among more than 20 mobile network operators said to be working with Omnifone.

The project is also understood to have the backing of Universal Music and other leading music companies. The first roll-outs of the service are expected to take place in the next few months.

Apple’s unveiling of its iPhone last month has increased the pressure on the mobile industry to accelerate the development of the mobile-music market. Music has long been seen as a potential moneyspinner for mobile revenues for the mobile companies. Like an iPod, the iPhone will be “side-loaded” with music through a computer.

Omnifone has presented itself as the solution to this dilemma. The company believes its music service will enable mobile companies to generate additional revenue from customers, who will pay less than £10 a month.

Omnifone was founded by Rob Lewis, the entrepreneur who previously ran Silicon.com, the technology-news website.

The handset software has been designed to offer an “iPod- like” experience, including easy access to the playlist.

The system will also intelligently manage memory space? deleting rarely played songs to make room for new downloads.

However, one big advantage claimed for Omnifone is that its software works on three-quar- ters of existing handsets, and over slower “2.5G” mobile networks. This greatly increases the market size. Many mobile applications struggle to cope with the huge variety of handsets, operating systems and networks.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
1) Attack iTunes, less so iPhone

2) Its pretty clear iTunes has the lead, it going to take more then a Napster on Cell Phones to bet iTunes

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
Unlimited access to more than 1m songs for a small weekly fee.

'Unlimited access' means, as much as you can download using a mobile-based connection (dial-up speeds) and that's assuming the operators don't blunder your wallet for the privilege.... oh and my device just ran out of juice 1/2 way through a download!

.. potential money spinner for mobile revenues for the mobile companies...will enable mobile companies to generate additional revenue from customers, who will pay less than £10 a month.

...yep, there it is. Operators have been keen for years to be more than just access & bandwidth providers. Watch your wallets.

So I don't get to keep my downloads, unless I have a huge memory card, or can get them off my device somehow?

It may appeal to some, particularly those in Cities, with good coverage - but for me, CD/Downloads/Podcasts + iTunes + iPod = a really simple solution.

johnmartin78

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Canada
Theres been phones with music along time,they just are terrible.Kinda the defference with the iPhone..(we hope) is thats it's just going to be nice to use.It doesn't seem to be a Phone that plays music as much as a sweet iPod that you can call people with.

lizard79

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2005
'Unlimited access' means, as much as you can download using a mobile-based connection (dial-up speeds) and that's assuming the operators don't blunder your wallet for the privilege.... oh and my device just ran out of juice 1/2 way through a download!

the article talks about europe. we're having 3g coverage over here.. and 3mbit is fast enough for audio files ;)

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
the article talks about europe. we're having 3g coverage over here.. and 3mbit is fast enough for audio files ;)

I realise that, however, unless you have the Cell completely to yourself (and in a lab) you'll be lucky to see anything over 'hi-speed' dial-up.... it'll still work, even on GPRS (2.5G), so long as the music is low-rate (low quality).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.