PDA

View Full Version : Just bought an iBook

sethwerkheiser
May 27, 2003, 10:32 AM
After using Windows since 3.1 (back in 93 on a Packard Bell) I finally switched. On Friday, May 23rd 2003 I bought a new iBook (12", 900mhz, 128meg, 40gb hd). Wow. What a machine. Thought I won't lie - I've been using windows for TEN years - so getting around here and there is a little confusing but I'm getting it. It's a joy to use and to show people ("I never saw a white laptop!" said someone at work) and I look forward to using it more and more.

Thanks everyone on here who's answerd a few questions of mine. This msg board rocks :)

patrick0brien
May 27, 2003, 03:43 PM
-sethwerkheiser

Congratulations, and welcome to the "cult". :D

Just remember, in your transition from Windows to the Mac, you will tend to over think how to use it. A prime example is how to 'uninstall' applications. Windows: Uninstall, Mac: Trash it.

If you are tryting to do sometrhing, and it's not working the way you want tit to, stop, and think "If I were a GUI designer, how would I do it?"

Flowbee
May 27, 2003, 04:02 PM
Also, David Pogue's book "Mac OS X: The Missing Manual" really helped with my transition from windows.

Congrats and enjoy!

phrancpharmD
May 27, 2003, 04:08 PM
Congratulations! Almost everything you need to get you through the major stuff is in the "Help" menus - there's even a section highlighting the differences between Windows and OS X. Also, don't forget you have three months of free telephone support and all the articles in the Apple Knowledge Base on their website. Enjoy!

Coca-Cola
May 27, 2003, 11:27 PM
.mac has some nice tutorial videos. I finally learned what the "home" is all about and how that works. Only took me a year to figure out. Geez. thanks .mac. Not like it matters anyhow.

maradong
May 28, 2003, 03:05 AM
congrats

sethwerkheiser
Jun 4, 2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by patrick0brien
If you are tryting to do sometrhing, and it's not working the way you want tit to, stop, and think "If I were a GUI designer, how would I do it?"

Took me forever to realize I could just drag my CDR filled with MP3s ONTO iTunes, and it would copy them over. Heh.

Flowbee Also, David Pogue's book "Mac OS X: The Missing Manual" really helped with my transition from windows.

I got it three days after buying the iBook. It's helped SOOO much! Thanks!

Nermal
Jun 28, 2003, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by patrick0brien
Just remember, in your transition from Windows to the Mac, you will tend to over think how to use it. A prime example is how to 'uninstall' applications. Windows: Uninstall, Mac: Trash it.

One of the first things I tried to do when I got my first Mac was to make a CD that could be read on a Windows machine. I found Disk Copy, and the DOS filesystem and tried fiddling around with that and made a couple of coasters/frisbees. I never thought it'd be as simple as mounting the CDR and dragging files onto it!