Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
London
Hey guys, so ive got an old emac 700 (gb ram) and wanted to do something interesting, thought about sticking it in a case pc/g4 powermac but i also have a 14" lcd off of an old toshiba laptop, so im thinking of building an imac style machine, as the crt in the emac is on its way out anyway, let me know your views and ideas, its been a while since i played inside a mac and im itching to do another mod.

i was also thinking of overclocking (after ive looked into it) :

https://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-53733.html

though im sure my friend can help me with the soldering lol

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
Do a quick search of the forums, there was a monster-huge thread about overclocking older eMacs from 700mhz - > 1.5 Ghz+… might add a few years to your emac.

Whatever you end up doing, do post pictures!

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
London
yeah, must have added to my post as you were replying, i might just do that, have to look a bit further into my exact model 1st, (i loaned it to a friend with an external monitor)

ickystay

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
I bought a cheap 700 eMac off ebay with an eye to doing the "internet mods". So far I have not done anything past upping the harddrive and putting in a fancy dvd burner. My eyes are too weak for the overclocking, and I can't afford a new LCD monitor to replace my crappy (screenburnt) cathode tube.

The LCD article is here:
http://www.ierna.com/blog/emac-lcd-conversion

He links to the cool "Headless eMac" article.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
London
thanks for the link, i do remember reading it a while ago actually, out of the question for me and my 14" tft though lol, ill probably build an imac style enclosure myself, if i have the time that it .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.