PDA

View Full Version : Best iPod To Car Connection

jensepollense
Feb 11, 2007, 07:52 PM
Hey,

I was wondering what the best way to listen to an iPod in a car is? My car doesn't have an auxiliary in, so that won't work.

Thanks

bozigle
Feb 12, 2007, 04:22 AM
I had some itrip for some time but it broke down very fast and because i could not find the receipt... nevermind
I currently have some kind of tape that fit the tapePlayer and output a single jack... you can probably find in the same package a usb loader to plug into the cigarette-lighter.

bozigle

richard4339
Feb 12, 2007, 10:16 AM
There are two types of iTrips out there, the standalone, iPod powered version, and the type that plugs into your cigarette lighter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BWACX2/103-7388007-2851852). Both are FM transmitters, and I've seen tons of positive reviews about both. I bought the first one first, and it honestly sucked in my opinion; died after less than a week of use. It was returned and replaced by the one I linked, which honestly works great.

Only thing I don't like about it is something that you shouldn't expect it to do anyway. I had an old Monser transmitter; the Monsters were interesting in that they would broadcast so far that if you were driving in a group of cars (ie, if my fiancee were following me), she could tune to the same radio station and hear my iPod; no such luck with the Griffin's. But once again, that is not surprising.

Sdashiki
Feb 12, 2007, 11:13 AM
Dont do the iTrip radio transmitters and its ilk.

they will never be as good as a direct connection, regardless of what others can say about reception.

if you have a tape player in your radio, awesome, go buy one of those ol school portable CD player tape adapters.

you know, the ol mini jack to a cassette tape? that will work wonders for you.

otherwise, you are S.O.L. unless you want to use RF....

Manzana
Feb 12, 2007, 11:31 AM
i've had the itrip for 2 years now and it is so frustrating.

they sell a kit (100) to hook up my factory radio with an aux line in, but i'm actually thinking of just getting an aftermarket unit, but that would be 200 (100 for unit, 40 for install kit, 40 for harness)

what kind of car do you have?

jeremy.king
Feb 12, 2007, 12:35 PM
I have an IceLink Plus (http://www.dension.com/icelinkplus.php) as it was the best option for my VW Jetta, but looks like that there aren't any US distributors anymore :confused:

jensepollense
Feb 12, 2007, 02:35 PM
I have a 98 oldsmobile intrigue, I've seen kits to connect it straight to the stereo and I think they'd work in my car. I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with one of these and what I can expect sound quality wise?

Thanks

Ish
Feb 26, 2007, 04:41 AM
Dont do the iTrip radio transmitters and its ilk.

they will never be as good as a direct connection, regardless of what others can say about reception.

if you have a tape player in your radio, awesome, go buy one of those ol school portable CD player tape adapters.

you know, the ol mini jack to a cassette tape? that will work wonders for you.

otherwise, you are S.O.L. unless you want to use RF....

I'm in the same position as jensepollense which is why I'm looking at this thread. I used to have a tape player in the car and used a tape connector but the new car's got a cd player and also has no way to make a direct connection.

Can't use the type of transmitters that Richard 4339 is talking about here in the UK. Even the normal type have only been legal for a couple of months.

Does anyone have comments on the ones available in the Apple Store?

osxnewbe
Mar 1, 2007, 08:45 PM
I would say it would depend on the stereo in your car. If you have a stereo that can control a CD changer, you should be able to find an auxiliary input adapter to connect the iPod.

I have a 2000 Accord and installed an auxiliary input adapter. The stereo “thinks” its a CD changer and works great. In my 2003 Envoy XL, I use a cassette adapter since I have not been able to find an input adaptor for the stereo.

Another option could be to purchase an aftermarket stereo (which is what I am considering for the Envoy).

I have an iTrip and mostly use it when I am driving a company vehicle that does not have a cassette adaptor. I don’t live in a major metropolitan area so there are some frequencies that are available.

Based on sound quality, I think the auxiliary adapter is the best followed by the cassette adapter and finally the itrip…

TheManOfSilver
Mar 1, 2007, 08:55 PM
I'm using a tape deck adapter myself (my Golf fortunately still came with a tape deck). I used to use an iTrip, but found it a bit of a hassle to change stations when travelling between cities. I've found the sound quality to be great (I use a cigarette lighter plug with a line-out connection, so I get line-level output to the cassette deck adapter).

If I had some extra money, I'd love to get this (http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=iDA-X001)though. It would be great to have a real iPod interface built into a stereo.