Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Hi, I'm going to print a passport photo from a photo printing shop. In photoshop I've placed 4 35mm x 45mm pictures in a 4'x6' document. My question is what DPI did these places support is it 300 or 600? Its for my gf who isn't happy with the ones taken in the photo booth.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
600 is beyond overkill seriously. No printer is going to look at that and think "thank god they sent it at 600!!" 300 is more than acceptable. This is a passport photo? Why not go to the local post office that offers passport services and have it done? It seems like it's easier and bound to be better since they are beyond strict on the color size etc etc. Even your head has to be a certain size in the photo.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Quite honestly, if it's as small as a passport photo, even 200 ppi isn't going to look THAT bad. Hell, it'd be difficult to print a passport photo that's only 200 ppi....well, unless you're using a 2 MP digital camera and you're cropping a lot.

ezzie

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2006
Baltimore, MD
as stated above, you'd be better off going somewhere and just getting the photos taken by someone who knows all the requirements and won't mess it up.

seriously, not to be rude, but a passport picture isn't supposed to be pretty. if that's why your gf isn't happy with the pictures, that's a silly reason to try to do them on your own. get them done right and save yourself the hassle.

my $.02...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.