PDA

View Full Version : Apple Keyboard not a reliable USB hub?

DVNIEL
Feb 13, 2007, 04:51 AM
I've had this Apple Keyboard for about a year now, and I love how it types. It is the USB wired version, with the two USB ports in the back. Is it just mine or does anyone find it not so reliable or use-able?

My first problem is that when I use hook up my printer to it, in the middle of printing, there will be a lost connection and I have to end up unplugging the printer, replugging it, and resuming the print process all over again. Another problem is when I want to sync my Palm TX, it says that there is not enough power running through the keyboard to operate it, the same as with my iPods. Is it just my keyboard or are all of you having the same problem? I have a spare keyboard that I haven't used yet from my iMac, but I figured they're all the same. Opinions would be great. Thanks

Scarlet Fever
Feb 13, 2007, 05:02 AM
the usb ports on the keyboards are great for things like memory sticks and mice, which don't need a whole lot of power to run. I would plug anything else into the computer's usb ports :)

Passante
Feb 13, 2007, 05:05 AM
The keyboard is a low power usb 1.1 hub. Many memory cards and other peripherals will not work in it. Plug your printer into the USB ports on the back of the computer.

M@lew
Feb 13, 2007, 06:06 AM
Is the wireless Keyboard USB 1.1 or 2.0?

miniConvert
Feb 13, 2007, 06:16 AM
The Apple keyboard is designed only for an Apple mouse. The two ports are for if the user is left or right handed.

The bluetooth wireless keyboard does not have any USB ports.

gnasher729
Feb 13, 2007, 06:24 AM
The keyboard is a low power usb 1.1 hub. Many memory cards and other peripherals will not work in it. Plug your printer into the USB ports on the back of the computer.

Interestingly, my printer works fine connected to the keyboard, but my USB memory stick doesn't...

The keyboard is built to supply I think 100 mA (milliAmpere), which is the pure minimum in the USB standard. Ports in your computer are supposed to supply 500 mA. You'd have to check with the documentation of each peripheral whether 100 mA is enough.

gnasher729
Feb 13, 2007, 06:27 AM
My first problem is that when I use hook up my printer to it, in the middle of printing, there will be a lost connection and I have to end up unplugging the printer, replugging it, and resuming the print process all over again. Another problem is when I want to sync my Palm TX, it says that there is not enough power running through the keyboard to operate it, the same as with my iPods. Is it just my keyboard or are all of you having the same problem? I have a spare keyboard that I haven't used yet from my iMac, but I figured they're all the same. Opinions would be great. Thanks

I bought a four port USB hub for 4.95 at the supermarket; works fine. I also bought a no-name PCI USB 2.0 card with four ports for my Quicksilver Macintosh for less than 10, works just as fine. (Open the Mac, plug it in, close the Mac, works). (Note that a sticker "works with Macintosh" usually triples the price of these cards, but it doesn't make them work any better).