Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
I went to interfacelift.com and found a theme I liked. I've downloaded it and when I go to start the instillation process, it asks me to choose an application to open it with. I really like this theme and want to try it out, but I don't know how to install it. Does anyone know how I can do this?

tsvb

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
Syracuse, NY
I went to interfacelift.com and found a theme I liked. I've downloaded it and when I go to start the instillation process, it asks me to choose an application to open it with. I really like this theme and want to try it out, but I don't know how to install it. Does anyone know how I can do this?

You need Shapeshifter.

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
thanks a lot! not 100% sure if I like my new theme or not...it looks cool but it's not really "mac," you know?

Pic if interested
Picture 1.jpg

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
You can use Themepark to modify the .rsrc files and develope your own themes for a lot of apps.

I am still trying to find the Brushed metal bit to change that!

EDIT: Top choice of tune, by the way!!

iShak

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
i've heard shapeshifter messes about with your system files, and it can have bugs etc. like menus not opening, missing text etc.

and its also a pain to remove, i installed a trial once and that made my mac crawl during boot up (took something like a minute) and so i had to clean install mac.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
i've heard shapeshifter messes about with your system files, and it can have bugs etc. like menus not opening, missing text etc.

and its also a pain to remove, i installed a trial once and that made my mac crawl during boot up (took something like a minute) and so i had to clean install mac.

I agree. I wish there was a better alternative to shapshifter (aside from Uno). Unsanity can go eat a bomb.

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
I like the theme but I like that album even more (although not as much as lateralus)

I have lateralus also :)
Picture 1.jpg

I hope this program doesn't screw up my system...I did notice that my boot-up time increased a lot, but I figured it was just because it was the first reboot after installing the program.
*and is that even normal? whenever I install new updates or a big program that requires a restart, it takes FOREVER to re-boot. But all re-boots after that are fine. :confused:

Pct1theory

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2006
NY
DON'T USE SHAPESHIFTER ON INTEL MACS!!!!
it can mess up everthing, and u can also get lots of Kernal Panics as well...

iShak

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
@bill4588: err .. sounds like the same problem i had, and simple uninstall of shapeshifer didnt solve the problem i had to do a clean install of OS X .. hope you've still got the DVD's.

and os x does take its time to boot-up after some of the updates ..

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I don't do any system core related theme work.
lol, it would be good if OSX can handle it like Linux/Gnome, with theme of the system as a separate structure.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I just use UNO and change my icons manually. No system stability issues. Hoping 10.5 has some new theme options though.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 997

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I just use UNO and change my icons manually. No system stability issues. Hoping 10.5 has some new theme options though.

huh, that might push shapeshifter out of business, lol, only Linux allow users to change theme freely after all.

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
BTW, anyone knows how to uninstall Shapeshifter? I installed the trial but there are too many inconsistencies, it is not a correct theming application as far as I can tell and I have no use for it.

The fact is, Aqua is the most coherent OS X theme :)

gollum

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2007
NKY
BTW, anyone knows how to uninstall Shapeshifter? I installed the trial but there are too many inconsistencies, it is not a correct theming application as far as I can tell and I have no use for it.

The fact is, Aqua is the most coherent OS X theme :)

Go to both your hard drive library and home library, open application enhancers folder, delete it from there.
I think also if you run the Shapeshifter installer it will also have an uninstall option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.