PDA

View Full Version : "it's time, high time" (for travel)

melchior
May 28, 2003, 02:31 AM
Well folks,

i look through the language thread and there a lot of people from a lot of cool places. and well, i'm going on a little trip soon....

i am australian and currently living in japan going on 2 years. on june friday the 13th [dun dun dan daaaaa!] i will take a ferry across the japan sea to vladivostok, russia. i'll go across siberia and into eastern/central europe.

13th of June i go overland --> Japan -> russia -> latvia -> lithuania -> poland -> slovak rep. -> hungary -> slovenia -> austria -> czech rep. -> germany -> denmark --> australia (home)

it's gonna be a pretty hefty trip. on the cheap, camping where i can hitching where i can. homestaying where i can.

what do you all think? advice? places that are 'MUST-SEE'?

anyone offering a guide for a day or a place to stay?

i will travel through russia, latvia and lithuania alone but will meet a cute girl (australian living in france) in poland and we will continue from there. oh, i'm 21 and my friend is 19.

anyway, anything anyone has to say would be cool. look forward to it.

[edit]
btw, "it's time, high time" is what Alexander III said when he started the Trans-siberian railway... for thos wondering

caveman_uk
May 28, 2003, 06:09 AM
I haven't been to many of those places but I'd say that in Slovenia there's Piran on the coast near Trieste which is really nice and the caves in the Karst region are pretty cool. Nearer the Austrian border Lake Bohinj is much nicer than the really touristy Lake Bled down the road and there's some really cool walks up through alpine meadows you can do. Other than that Prague, Budapest and Vienna are fine cities and well worth a visit.

anneleonard
May 28, 2003, 06:16 AM
Why aren't you going to the western places of Europe? :confused: There's a lot more to see and do over here! If you're gonna come all the way to Europe you might as well come to the UK, France, Spain. I live in the UK but I love France as well. There's not much to Hungary apart from Budapest is quite nice, and everything is very cheap over there. My housemate is from NZ and he's making the most of being over here, seeing everything he can. I'd spend less time in the eastern block countries if I were you, but that's just me :rolleyes:

melchior
May 28, 2003, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by anneleonard
Why aren't you going to the western places of Europe? :confused: There's a lot more to see and do over here! If you're gonna come all the way to Europe you might as well come to the UK, France, Spain. I live in the UK but I love France as well. There's not much to Hungary apart from Budapest is quite nice, and everything is very cheap over there. My housemate is from NZ and he's making the most of being over here, seeing everything he can. I'd spend less time in the eastern block countries if I were you, but that's just me :rolleyes:

hehe, i've spent a fair amount of time in the west. algeria, spain, france, italy, germany, UK. i will be in the uk again soon, but not this time. the world is a big place and i don't have a lot of time. regions remaining to be explored: middle-east, scandanavia, south america, SE Asia...

Ugg
May 28, 2003, 10:02 AM
In Slovakia, definitely visit Kosice. The town centre has been beautifully restored.

wdlove
May 28, 2003, 07:25 PM
At this particular time I have no desire to travel. I prefer to spend that same money on a new Power Mac G5 PPC 970. Think that I will get much longer lasting enjoyment! ;)