PDA

View Full Version : Apple Serious about Games?

MacRumors
Feb 14, 2007, 10:30 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Appleinsider claims (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2494) that Apple has started canvassing at least one school for individuals to work on art for future 2D and 3D games from Apple.

Students at the Savannah College of Art and Design reported today receiving an e-mail from a recruiter working directly for Apple, Inc., who appears to be actively tracking down skilled graphics designers among those enrolled in the school's Fine Arts programs. Those hired for the summer program would be tasked with creating "consistent, high quality 3D and 2D art for games," the message said.

With the release of the iPod Games in in September, Apple demonstrated that they had already started some game development in-house with the release of Vortex and Texas Hold 'Em.

Recent comments by game developers have suggested Apple may be expanding games beyond the ipod. Electronic Arts revealed (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/02/09/iphone-games-in-the-works-from-3rd-party-developers/) that Apple had already started approaching 3rd party developers to launch games on their upcoming iPhone, while PopCap Vice President listed (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/02/08/apple-tv-a-gaming-platform/) the Apple TV as a future gaming platform.

Meanwhile, Jesse Tortora (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/12/05/apple-video-game-console/) had previously speculated that Apple could be getting serious about the gaming market.

TheDance511
Feb 14, 2007, 10:32 PM
Oh, boy...Now they make games...okay

twoodcc
Feb 14, 2007, 10:33 PM
i hope that Apple does pursue this market. it's a pretty big market, and i know it would be tough, but they could be good at it.

everybody loves games. i hope they at least try to enter the market. i'd buy some games from them

wakerider017
Feb 14, 2007, 10:36 PM
Maybe a console in the future?

holamiamigos
Feb 14, 2007, 10:39 PM
Maybe a console in the future?

the applebox 1000000 or pippin 2

ShaneOMac
Feb 14, 2007, 10:43 PM
If they wanna get serious about games, they need to release a good Core 2 Duo tower! Above the specs of the imac and below a Mac pro, without a monitor!

SheriffParker
Feb 14, 2007, 10:44 PM
They'll make a game where you have to go around converting PC users with your smugness and condescenscion. It'll be awesome.

The end boss will be the biggest box of Vista Ultimate edition ever, and it will fly around like an aero effect while shooting BSODs at you.

Chaszmyr
Feb 14, 2007, 10:50 PM
All of these little throw-away games for iPods and the like are great, but I'd love to see Apple get serious about real computer games too.

PowerBook User
Feb 14, 2007, 10:54 PM
Well, I think Apple showing more interest in games is great. It's an area they have spent way too little time on. I'm curious what types of games they would make, though.

ezekielrage_99
Feb 14, 2007, 10:55 PM
I think Apple has a Games/Home Entertainment system coming, if the Apple TV is a success then it will be highly likely that Apple venture into a pure gaming console like the Xbox 360 or PS3.

It's the iPod and iPhone all over again it's just natural for any organisation to diversify an already well selling product and move into a slightly different area with that product. Apple did that with the iPod, Starbucks diversified there beverage line up by putting them into supermarkets and Nintendo had success with their NES so they went into the portable market (enter the GameBoy).

If Apple want serious market share they will release products that will complement there already tried and tested well selling product lines.

Personally I would love to see an Apple gaming console and I think there will be something on the way within the next 18 months.

Sandfleaz
Feb 14, 2007, 10:56 PM
I can't see Apple getting into a dedicated console, but maybe as a download for AppleTV.

holamiamigos
Feb 14, 2007, 10:58 PM
what happened to that whole apple-nintendo thing?

iProd
Feb 14, 2007, 10:59 PM
I say they help out the other Mac game companies and supporting them by porting some of the Windows games:(

TC2COOL
Feb 14, 2007, 11:00 PM
I could see Apple getting into the casual game market. :apple: TV seems to fit perfectly with that idea too.

Now if we could only get those games on a Nano...

AaronHeth
Feb 14, 2007, 11:02 PM
Well, it's a neat rumor, but I'm more excited that my school is involved! Too bad I'm a lowly freshman, but hopefully Apple will start scouting here more often.

Also gets the college more well known.

phillipjfry
Feb 14, 2007, 11:05 PM
Halo 6 for the iMac!!! :)

pdpfilms
Feb 14, 2007, 11:19 PM
If apple's serious about this whole game realm, why are they recruiting undergrads?

TheBobcat
Feb 14, 2007, 11:26 PM
Real bad idea.

Apple hopefully will just stick to minigames on iPhone/iPod/:apple: TV. We don't need another PSP or NGage on our hands.

mduser63
Feb 14, 2007, 11:49 PM
As one who has an AppleTV on order, and could definitely be described as a casual gamer, I'd love to see AppleTV games. Just some simple, fun, addictive games would be great.

ortuno2k
Feb 14, 2007, 11:53 PM
I just hope that they don't spread out too thin and start slacking on their true roots: Making great computers and software. I'm tired of the iPhone hype already.

EricNau
Feb 14, 2007, 11:57 PM
To me it sounds like more games for the iPod... nothing more. :(

But that's just me.

shidoshi
Feb 14, 2007, 11:59 PM
If they want to do casual games, great. If they want to publish games from smaller developers, great. But in my opinion, Apple just doesn't have the right mindset to be a serious player in the games market. Their typical strategy for developing software (concentrate on what they think is important, while often missing the bigger picture) would be an absolute disaster when developing serious games.

butaro
Feb 15, 2007, 12:07 AM
Apple would have to come out with a groundbreaking title here to even make a small dent. Something like Halo did for microsoft and their Xbox. Everyone knows xbox sucked.

darwen
Feb 15, 2007, 12:21 AM
I am a little confused with the plan here... how do games fit into the grand scheme of things at Apple?

It would be awesome to see cool games on the iPhone. Maybe our missing app is a games menu??

Still though, the game industry is so over populated I dont see any real money in it for Apple. What device could they create to run any games they develop? Is game development for Mac OS X really a possible profit for them? They certainly cant be working on a console... that would be a waste of R&D money. As for the :apple:TV, the remote cant be all that great of a controller. The iPhone and iPod look like the two only decent gaming devices... and I doubt great games are going to be the reason for buying either device.

Peace
Feb 15, 2007, 12:25 AM
This is yet another sign of things to come ever since Apple Computer,Inc. became Apple,Inc.

GFLPraxis
Feb 15, 2007, 12:35 AM
Good. Port me some DS games to run on the iPhone.

If Apple can get developers to make games half as good as the Nintendo DS's games, on the iPhone using the multitouch screen, it'll be spectacular. Something like Elite Beat Agents...maybe a Mario Kart type game with a steering wheel on screen...

lazyrighteye
Feb 15, 2007, 12:55 AM
This is yet another sign of things to come ever since Apple Computer,Inc. became Apple,Inc.

Well said, Peace.
Yep, you better beLIEVE the two (name change + gaming rumor) are not mere coincidence. And certainly not the only "Huh? Whoa!" offerings coming out of Apple, Inc. the next decade.

blueflame
Feb 15, 2007, 01:39 AM
I dont see apple doing this at all. maybe for ipod style games, but nothing big at all. and it will be another thing to clog up itunes. They keep adding responsibilities to it, and its is no longer just a movie player.i wish itunes was for music, and something else for movies. like delicious libraary or something. i tunes is feeling like a PC app more and more to me.

iAlan
Feb 15, 2007, 01:42 AM
iPippin

or even

:apple:Pippin

quandmeme
Feb 15, 2007, 01:47 AM
I'm about to switch (back) when Leopard comes out. I'm excited about iWork and so forth, but Apple can't be the developer for the hardware, the OS, and all of the real programs. I'm concerned about the reports that OS M(obile) on the iPhone will be restricted to Apple programs, as the ipod is restricted to games from the iTunes Store. Long live Ambrosia and the independent and fanatical developers. If Apple gets serious, let it be to show developers that Apples are worth porting to and developing for, not to make such a big splash that there is no reason for developers to consider the niche of the market.

But to the bottom line, what can't Macs do better than Windows? Feel free to add to the list: (1) games, (2) breaking/losing data/being zombified by malware

Some people won't switch if they can't game. Me, I'm just a casual gamer so the expectation that Unreal T III will be ported will be good enough for me.

winmacguy
Feb 15, 2007, 02:01 AM
They'll make a game where you have to go around converting PC users with your smugness and condescenscion. It'll be awesome.

Pigs might fly too.:rolleyes:

jmsait19
Feb 15, 2007, 02:08 AM

The end boss will be the biggest box of Vista Ultimate edition ever, and it will fly around like an aero effect while shooting BSODs at you.

that may be the funniest thing i've heard all day...

doogle
Feb 15, 2007, 02:18 AM
Apple are so far behind in games development that I find it hard to believe. However the iPhone is a new platform and the multi-touchscreen possibilities for games means there is a new genre that they can lead.

AlmostThere
Feb 15, 2007, 02:43 AM
Games for Apple TV means the sort of stuff that appears on DVD now, like "Who Wants to be a Millionare?" or "Trivial Pursuit" and all the rest of that sort of crap that flies of shelves at Christmas.

Grab a couple of licences, put ithem on iTunes and it will be an easy money spinner.

Mindfield
Feb 15, 2007, 02:50 AM
There's no way in hell Apple would start creating the next Far Cry/Half-Life/Doom/Halo/whatever-franchise. The reason is simple. Even if Apple Inc. is awesome in creating hardware and software, it doesn't mean they will be awesome at creating games or be able to hire John Carmack to create games for them.

Also, right now neither the iPod, AppleTV or the iPhone incorporates graphics specs good enough for any serious gaming, so I believe they'll try to slice their way into casual game market. If they can create the next Bejeweled, it could be a luxurious market with three different apparatuses letting you play the same game (large customer base) with very low costs.

fireplace
Feb 15, 2007, 03:23 AM
i just hope its not a 'Mickey Mouse' operation. Disney-Pixar...........:eek:

2ndPath
Feb 15, 2007, 05:06 AM

Sounds a bit like xbill (http://www.xbill.org/).

In general I expect this Apple game development to go mainly in the direction of iPhone, iPod and AppleTV games. Some small games (like chess which comes with OS X) might also come from them for the Mac. But I really doubt they will make any high profile games for the Mac.

Making an Apple gaming console is not really an option I guess. The market already has 3 major players. Microsoft spent billions to get into this market. Apple probably cannot afford that even if they might need less money to do it.

Digitalclips
Feb 15, 2007, 05:54 AM
If they wanna get serious about games, they need to release a good Core 2 Duo tower! Above the specs of the imac and below a Mac pro, without a monitor!

You are assuming Apple won't be abe to make amazing games without all the power current gamers require. What's the betting Apple will have a trick or two leveraging Leopard?

iPippin

or even

:apple:Pippin

Remind me who was Apple CEO when Pippin came out?

i tunes is feeling like a PC app more and more to me.

You mean it freezes, crashes, fails to work, hangs, restarts, spends all the time it is working running updates ...? Are you sure it's iTunes you are running not Office? :confused:

MacVault
Feb 15, 2007, 06:11 AM
Games?! WTF?! Why not ENTERPRISE?! WTF?! :mad:

Umbongo
Feb 15, 2007, 06:15 AM
I am a little confused with the plan here... how do games fit into the grand scheme of things at Apple?

It would be awesome to see cool games on the iPhone. Maybe our missing app is a games menu??

Still though, the game industry is so over populated I dont see any real money in it for Apple. What device could they create to run any games they develop? Is game development for Mac OS X really a possible profit for them? They certainly cant be working on a console... that would be a waste of R&D money. As for the :apple:TV, the remote cant be all that great of a controller. The iPhone and iPod look like the two only decent gaming devices... and I doubt great games are going to be the reason for buying either device.

The games market for Yahoo, PopCap, Flash-based type games is much bigger than the console/Pc gaming market. Infact most people don't even consider companies operating in areas other than graphical PC games and consoles titles as in the games industry. Most games don't sell that many copies and cost alot to produce. Apple have a largely loyal userbase to sell games to and a distribution model that could offer cheap games and see large sales numbers.

Dagless
Feb 15, 2007, 06:30 AM
wild prediction:

Apple is going to take a leaf from their own book and Nintendos and release games only for their systems. Systems include AppleTV and the Apple computer ranges. Games with scaleable gameplay and visuals will be shrunk for iPod.
More compatability with game controllers, all games feature a unified built in menu system similar to the Xbox 360 (something I'm surprised Vista doesn't have).

It's wild but... y'know

Digitalclips
Feb 15, 2007, 06:32 AM
The games market for Yahoo, PopCap, Flash-based type games is much bigger than the console/Pc gaming market. Infact most people don't even consider companies operating in areas other than graphical PC games and consoles titles as in the games industry. Most games don't sell that many copies and cost alot to produce. Apple have a largely loyal userbase to sell games to and a distribution model that could offer cheap games and see large sales numbers.

Exactly right.

Imagine all the traditional board games such as Monopoly played by a family sitting round the 50" HD TV ... Clue, Snakes and Ladders ... the possibilities are endless.

Plus I think new game genres and possibly even games that previously required ridiculously powerful video cards and CPUs may be possible on modest* Macs (*by which I mean modest current generation Macs) linked to ATV due to Leopard. As I said earlier I suspect with the new graphic capabilities built into Leopard made possible by Core Animation we are going to get some pleasant surprises.

Dagless
Feb 15, 2007, 06:56 AM

Then you have the vision of the Wii. Just like the DS has board games and stuff for "non computer game players", so will the Wii as part of Nintendo's new strategy.

Apple will have to do something clever, as an entity that is not synonymous with gaming at all to jump into an already oversaturated market.

Oh, and the "Yahoo, PopCap, Flash-based type games" is not a bigger market than console games. Your doing the thing where you count every PC as a gaming platform when that isn't the case. Even the freeware world doesn't get the same number of players as those 4+ million that some console games get.

ddubbo
Feb 15, 2007, 07:03 AM
If they'll release a FPS, i think it will look that way:
The name of the game will iKill.
The main protagonist will look a kinda storm trooper from Star Wars with blue apple logo on his helmet. There'll be mounted at his shoulders some kind of weapon, called iShoot. It will be the only one you can use at the game , but it's enough, because it is the best and most sophisticated gun in the universe. It will target and shoot the enemies alone, when it needed. If several enemies attack - iShoot defines what is a danger order and take them all down, starting from most dangerous to weakest ones. When you'll get several options where to go, there'll be special IA tracking devise - iLead, that will tell you which way is a right one. So the only thing you need to do here - just walk from start the game to its end. You wan't even need to collect the red and blue keys to open the levels, because you'll get a special universal key, that opens all doors out of the box.
And one nice bonus - for only extra 50$ you'll be able to upgrade the main character from white storm trooper to cool liquid black dart wader with dark-blue gloving apple logo on his chest.

vincebio
Feb 15, 2007, 07:10 AM
if they sold computers that had good quality logic boards and pwer supplies id be all for it...

get your house in order apple...then take over the world...

2ndPath
Feb 15, 2007, 07:14 AM
Plus I think new game genres and possibly even games that previously required ridiculously powerful video cards and CPUs may be possible on modest* Macs (*by which I mean modest current generation Macs) linked to ATV due to Leopard. As I said earlier I suspect with the new graphic capabilities built into Leopard made possible by Core Animation we are going to get some pleasant surprises.

Well, Leopard will make it easier to make use of the available hardware resources, but it will not create new ones. Graphically intense games (not all of them though) already make good use of the resources available. Better available frameworks like DirectX on Windows make it easier for developers to access the resources and thus lower development costs. But leopard wont make it possible to display graphics which requires a high-end gaming graphics card today on, let's say, a current MacBook.

Aeolius
Feb 15, 2007, 07:19 AM
I don't care who makes them, but I'd like to see more family-friendly LAN games like Myst Online: Uru Live (http://www.gametap.com/home/myst/index.html) , which apparently relaunches for Windows today with a Mac port still in beta.

I walked by a PS3 in Wal-Mart, the other day, because the only games on the shelf were shoot-em-ups and sports games, neither of which I find entertaining.

dernhelm
Feb 15, 2007, 07:20 AM

Sadly, nothing more than a pipe dream.

Serious gaming cannot be had unless the release a game console that people would shell out for. This just isn't going to happen. Or I should say that I hope like heck it doesn't happen. If they want to put iPod style games on the :apple: TV, fine, but to release a full blown console would be idiocy. Especially since there would be very little innovation that Apple could bring to this market.

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 15, 2007, 07:23 AM
Yawn, I cant get excited at all about pod & phone games and Apple's history with the gamer and lack of video cards is well written. Where have they been for the past 10 years? Apples hardware has done more to kill off Mac gaming then anything. Playing model line vs model line has killed off Mac Gaming and Mac marketshare to the point Apple is forced to now run windows. Pod Games:rolleyes:

TheBobcat
Feb 15, 2007, 07:34 AM
Yawn, I cant get excited at all about pod & phone games and Apple's history with the gamer and lack of video cards is well written. Where have they been for the past 10 years? Apples hardware has done more to kill off Mac gaming then anything. Playing model line vs model line has killed off Mac Gaming and Mac marketshare to the point Apple is forced to now run windows. Pod Games:rolleyes:

EXACTLY! I'm tired of everyone spewing that Apple is even going to be recognized in the gaming market, let alone come up with the next X360 or Wii. These will be small games to run on the limited graphics capability of iPhone and iPod. Oh, and Apple and Nintendo will not merge or work together, or ever considered such. So relax.

mrgreen4242
Feb 15, 2007, 07:53 AM
Predictions:
1) iPod games "grow-up". Not in the lame, "OMG I WANTZ MATURE GAMES WHERE I KILL EVERYTHING" way. I mean they start moving beyond the simple puzzle/pong-derivative games. Those are fun, and they still need to offer those (at that can't-resist-$5 price), but there's room in that market for an RPG, an adventure game, I'd LOVE to see a Dragon Lair type game, or even Dragon Lair, etc. Basically, two levels of iPod games, $5 pick up and plays, $10 "serious" games.

2) Apple TV gets games. Apple releases a game pack for the :apple: TV. Includes a BT adaptor (USB) for the ATV, a controller, and a couple free mini games. Extra controllers also available. Games for sale on iTunes, focus on party style gaming; beefed up board games, mini-game filled titles (like WarioWare/Mario Party). I think the controller will be a one-handed job, like the Wii main controller, without the motion sensitive bit (to expensive/complex for the market they would want to get). Hold it in your hand like a remote, D-pad under your thumb, a main button under your index finger, second button by the D-Pad.

3) Games on the Mac. Apple launches a Yahoo Games/PopCap style division. All casual games, like Snood, Zuma, card games, etc. Some Apple made titles, some exclusive third party stuff, some ported to Mac games. Everything sold, installed, managed, etc through iTunes. A 'click here, confirm purchase, game downloads, installs, and then gives you a friendly message reminding you how to launch it (which is just to go to the games "playlist" in iTunes and click the title you want)' service. Very very simple to find, buy, download, install and start playing. This is what the casual market wants. Fixed price structure similar to the iPod with $5 and $10 games.

Someone needs to get Dragon Lair on the iPod ASAP. I never thought about it, but it's pretty much the perfect platform for that style of game. Good video capabilities (Dragon Lair was based on a Laser Disc movie system, for those of you who don't remember it), great sound, 4-way controller... it's just to good of a match.

rickag
Feb 15, 2007, 08:15 AM
Well that only took the 6th post to appear. When or if Apple will ever listen becomes the question. :)
I'd buy one even though I really don't play games that much. The quest for the mythical single Conroe tower continues.

mrgreen4242
Feb 15, 2007, 08:23 AM
Well that only took the 6th post to appear. When or if Apple will ever listen becomes the question. :)
I'd buy one even though I really don't play games that much. The quest for the mythical single Conroe tower continues.

While I think Apple needs a non-all-in-one between the mini and Pro, it's not something that I think will help them "take the gaming market". For Apple to succeed in gaming, I believe, it's going to be based around the iPod with Apple TV and some casual desktop games helping support/grow the service.

zombitronic
Feb 15, 2007, 08:59 AM
As far as a lead graphics designer...Jamie Hewlett of Tank Girl/Gorillaz. I don't know how well this would mesh with games, but as far as style points, I could see it shimmering in Apple's eyes.

tbrinkma
Feb 15, 2007, 10:10 AM
...There'll be mounted at his shoulders some kind of weapon, called iShoot. It will be the only one you can use at the game , but it's enough, because it is the best and most sophisticated gun in the universe. It will target and shoot the enemies alone, when it needed. If several enemies attack - iShoot defines what is a danger order and take them all down, starting from most dangerous to weakest ones. ...

Seriously, if those are your tactics, you'll have issues. Generally speaking, you focus on the easy kills while avoiding damage, then go for the big guy. Otherwise, while you focus on the tough kill, you have to keep dodging the attacks from the little guys.

Lets say you've got 10 little guys and 1 big guy.
Over the course of the average second, the little guys each do only 3 damage to you, and the big guy does 20. It takes 2 seconds to kill a little guy and 30 seconds to kill the big guy.

If you take out the big guy first, you'll take ((20*30)+(10*3*30))+((10+9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1)*2*3)=1830 damage (600 + 900 + 330)

If you take out the little guys first, you'll take (40*30)+((10+9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1)*2*3)=1530 damage (1200+330)

You take double the pounding from the dangerous enemy, but you don't give the swarm the chance to peck you to death like a flock of ducks.

Clive At Five
Feb 15, 2007, 10:11 AM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

THERE IS NO APPLE-NINTENDO THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That being said, my opinion is this:

Apple is currently trying to market itself toward the home-user. iLife, music, blogs, home movies, etc.

Well, home users play games too.

Without stepping into this market, at least in a small way, Apple will leave out a piece of the puzzle.

-Clive

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 15, 2007, 10:15 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

THERE IS NO APPLE-NINTENDO THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That being said, my opinion is this:

Apple is currently trying to market itself toward the home-user. iLife, music, blogs, home movies, etc.

Well, home users play games too.

Without stepping into this market, at least in a small way, Apple will leave out a piece of the puzzle.

-CliveAnd the TV dont forget billions of people watch Tv, Gaming and the TV and Apple has......Nothing Zero ZILCH and they claim to be a media hub or want to be a media hub without the two biggest media being Games and Television. APPLE needs to wake up from their snotty nosed arrogance. Consumer says I want my Computer,My Games and My TV but does Apple listen to the consumer? I say no.

Clive At Five
Feb 15, 2007, 10:32 AM
And the TV dont forget billions of people watch Tv, Gaming and the TV and Apple has......Nothing Zero ZILCH and they claim to be a media hub or want to be a media hub without the two biggest media being Games and Television. APPLE needs to wake up from their snotty nosed arrogance. Consumer says I want my Computer,My Games and My TV but does Apple listen to the consumer? I say no.

NO!

No Apple-branded TV!

Apple DID TV. It's called the iTunes Store. Buy all the TV content you want on there.

-Clive

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 15, 2007, 10:46 AM
NO!

No Apple-branded TV!

Apple DID TV. It's called the iTunes Store. Buy all the TV content you want on there.

-CliveWhy buy TV shows when I have cable and a hundred channels? Or a Dish and the same? I can allready record anything I want? Apple not getting games and tv in this day & age is marketing commitee nonsense. Apple alienated all these folks and have been for years. My PC has PVR functions;) Does any Mac made have them?

You cant beat your chest and talk media and fun like Apple does without having mainstream Games and TV in the equation.

jakeguy99
Feb 15, 2007, 10:54 AM
Before apple should start making games, maybe they should think of making us a half decent gaming computer to begin with, possibly one that can be upgraded (parts other than ram). With the mac pro it is a step, but when will they make a half decent computer good for games at a reasonable price. I mean hey we could max out a g5 with everything and have no money for the next ten years..

fall3n
Feb 15, 2007, 11:48 AM
I wonder if Apple ever has people actually come to fan sites and read topics such as these? My guess is probably not. If they do, the research doesn't reach head office.

Like many have already said, developing games for the casual gamer will be a decent market. You CAN play games on a mac at their current level of "gaming power", but you can't expect to play the best next generation games at full capacity (though even on the average PC you can't really either, better then mac though).

I think Apple will do what they always do and just make a product that only works for their products. It will compliment their products and generate some sales, but it definitely won't be anything revolutionary from Apple.

Games and Apple just don't mix, at least for the serious gamer. Like others have said, if Apple wants to enter the serious gaming realm they need to step up to the plate and make a consumer computer (that is easily upgradeable) aimed at providing the power needed to play great games with great graphics, then third party companies can port games over and Apple can start partnering with them.

Stella
Feb 15, 2007, 11:55 AM
NO!

No Apple-branded TV!

-Clive

Which anyone outside the u.s can buy absolutely zero of!

cbud
Feb 15, 2007, 12:05 PM
If apple's serious about this whole game realm, why are they recruiting undergrads?

So they can pay them nothing!

clevin
Feb 15, 2007, 12:06 PM
NO!

No Apple-branded TV!

-Clive

u must be living in 3000, lol

wwillie2
Feb 15, 2007, 12:24 PM
Did anyone notice a post on Apple's website for a Sr Games Developer?
Just more food for the fire. Bring on iGames. :)

Digitalclips
Feb 15, 2007, 12:27 PM
Well, Leopard will make it easier to make use of the available hardware resources, but it will not create new ones. Graphically intense games (not all of them though) already make good use of the resources available. Better available frameworks like DirectX on Windows make it easier for developers to access the resources and thus lower development costs. But leopard wont make it possible to display graphics which requires a high-end gaming graphics card today on, let's say, a current MacBook.

If you think in the traditional hardware / software paradigm you are correct. However, animations seen in several *Core Animation demonstrations would have required movies with high frame rates and massive data transfers to accomplish with traditional hardware and software not to mention HD resolutions. With Core Animation lower overheads are required. Perhaps we will see a paradigm shift in how games requiring high frame rates such as Quake et al are created and run on computers. Perhaps soon what we accept now as the norm and bench mark methods for creating these games will seem as quaint as hand drawn animations flipped to create the illusion of motion.
*http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/coreanimation.html

So that's why thousands are pouring over the Mexican border every week! :eek:

Clive At Five
Feb 15, 2007, 01:06 PM

And how will an Apple-branded TV remedy it?

Unless it has DVR, it won't... and you don't need an entire TV to do that! :apple:TV *SHOULD* have been that. But it won't be. Why? Because DVR funtions cut into iTunes market (wherever iTunes TV media content is sold).

No Apple-branded TV. No Apple-branded TV! NO APPLE-BRANDED TV!

-Clive

Lynxpro
Feb 15, 2007, 01:35 PM

And they'll get the game designers who worked with Burger King to make your much touted gaming concept....it will be called SNEAK STEVE.

You'll go around presenting iPods to the unsuspecting, and you'll get power-ups every time you find a black turtle-neck to wear.

I just hope that they don't spread out too thin and start slacking on their true roots: Making great computers and software. I'm tired of the iPhone hype already.

But Apple's true roots were as two employees of Atari, Inc.

Umbongo
Feb 15, 2007, 01:45 PM
Your doing the thing where you count every PC as a gaming platform when that isn't the case.

No I'm counting them as a potential gaming platform.

Nenita
Feb 15, 2007, 02:25 PM
they wa i see it is:

1. mac mini with tv tuner and 128 mb graphics card maybe 256.
2. casual gaming capabilities rather than a gaming platform (there are more casual gamers than there are hardcore gamers) [also keep in mind most hardcore gamers stick to few games to maximize their abilities in the game, not the repeat business that apple wants]
3. apple tv will let you stream this games to other (secondary) TV sets and play them.

i knw this is macrumors, but you guys have no idea what the new cat has in store.

:apple: :cool: :apple:

iomar
Feb 15, 2007, 02:36 PM
Finally Apple is getting smart. This is the way Apple can increase their market share.

weg
Feb 15, 2007, 02:49 PM

*yawn* xbill has been around since decades...

Clive At Five
Feb 15, 2007, 03:00 PM
they wa i see it is:

1. mac mini with tv tuner and 128 mb graphics card maybe 256.
2. casual gaming capabilities rather than a gaming platform (there are more casual gamers than there are hardcore gamers) [also keep in mind most hardcore gamers stick to few games to maximize their abilities in the game, not the repeat business that apple wants]
3. apple tv will let you stream this games to other (secondary) TV sets and play them.

i knw this is macrumors, but you guys have no idea what the new cat has in store.

:apple: :cool: :apple:

HAH!

1. What would Apple have to gain from putting a TV tuner in the Mac mini?! If you want a device to access your media and watch television, you don't port your TV through your computer and then to your monitor. That's a waste of a computer. You buy a much cheaper :apple:TV and stream. The device is still a rip-off if you ask me.

2. If, by casual games, you mean Tetris, Bejeweled, the occasional blizzard game, what have you, the Mac Mini is *capable* but you'll have to turn down details/max FPS on more complex applications. Do not, however, think that the Mini is incapable of performing those tasks. You can be certain that the Mini's next upgrade will put it at a 2GHz Core 2 Duo. Although it won't have the greatest video card, it will still chug through 3-D software... certainly well enough for the casual gamer.

3. Unless you see this gaming platform as being run through FrontRow/iLife, you can count on it NOT being streamed through :apple:TV. :apple:TV is basically a FrontRow interface between your TV and your Mac.

Yes there has been some speculation about :apple:TV being a potential gaming platform for the likes of Pop-Cap games... but I wouldn't call tha "casual gaming." I'd call that "casual time burning".

-Clive

elppa
Feb 15, 2007, 03:07 PM
Apple would have to come out with a groundbreaking title here to even make a small dent. Something like Halo did for microsoft and their Xbox. Everyone knows xbox sucked.

I hope you knew the history of Halo and the company (Bungie) who developed it before making that comment.

Clive At Five
Feb 15, 2007, 03:42 PM
I hope you knew the history of Halo and the company (Bungie) who developed it before making that comment.

Well put, well put.

It's sad that people don't know the true story behind MS and XBox's gaming success. Another example of Microsoft's lack of originality and over-abundance of cash.

-Clive

Le GoogelGuRu
Feb 15, 2007, 04:19 PM

The end boss will be the biggest box of Vista Ultimate edition ever, and it will fly around like an aero effect while shooting BSODs at you.:D Haha, that would be great. :rolleyes:

psychofreak
Feb 15, 2007, 04:23 PM

Not a good idea to fly if its just gonna crash all the time...

MacsAttack
Feb 15, 2007, 04:24 PM
Those paying attention to what was being said when the iPhone was announced would of course remember that SJ was looking at market sizes - including that of game consoles. It was tiny - and was dismissed by the man as a market not worthy of Apple's time... Unlike phones.

Those not paying attention errr... will have missed that :p

Aside from a few iPod/iPhone games I just don't see it being a market that Apple wants (or needs) to get into.

Ghibli
Feb 15, 2007, 05:59 PM
I found this job on Apple site:

http://jobs.apple.com/index.ajs?BID=1&method=mExternal.showJob&RID=124&CurrentPage=1

Towards the bottom it says:

>* Experience in design of input device electronics: mobile phone,
>game players, keyboards & mice.
^^^^^^^^^^^

Seems interesting...

seenew
Feb 15, 2007, 06:14 PM
Awesome! I'm a photo major at SCAD.
Wish they had a use for me at Apple. :(

zblaxberg
Feb 15, 2007, 08:06 PM
well they are apple now and not apple computer...which kinda pisses me off

p.s. i want leopard

DMann
Feb 16, 2007, 04:04 AM
:apple: Maybe a console in the future?

Actually, the :apple: TV could indeed function well as a gaming console.

DMann
Feb 16, 2007, 04:06 AM
well they are apple now and not apple computer...which kinda pisses me off

p.s. i want leopard

Ready to pounce soon, I hope.....

gkarris
Feb 16, 2007, 09:49 AM
:apple:

Actually, the :apple: TV could indeed function well as a gaming console.

Yep, that's what I've been saying all along, games for iPod you can play on iPhone and :apple:TV...

No Apple-Nintendo partnership... Why? Nintendo has the run-away Wii?

No expensive computer to compete with Sony Fanboy's PS3...

No XBox 360 type of console to compete with the already entrenched XBox 360 and XBox live...

We so far can hardly get games in Mac OS X...

zac4mac
Feb 17, 2007, 07:08 PM
Maybe we'll really see ATi come out with a new hotrod card - first on the Mac, then on PC... imagine an AppleTV with a 1GB Crossfire card and an extra slot to add another. Add 600 bucks to the price and Game On.

yeah, like Halo. Badwords

Z

Cult Follower
Feb 25, 2007, 05:18 PM
I hope apple gets a little more serious about games, there's a huge market to be had.

DMann
Feb 25, 2007, 06:02 PM
I hope apple gets a little more serious about games, there's a huge market to be had.

Apple is serious about gaming, and this will become
more apparent when the Mac product line is updated.
Actually, a Gaming Mac is expected to be introduced
as early as summer '07. The timing is good,
considering the breakthroughs regarding flash/cache
and enhanced multithreading capabilities to be seen
in Leopard.:rolleyes:

iEatfood
Feb 28, 2007, 10:29 AM
Apple was going to be the publisher of Halo, but microsoft (rinsing tounge with soap) found some loophole in the contract, and bought out bungie through the game "Marathon". Apple could have been the real gaming computer all along, but microsoft (again, getting soap poisoning) screwed with the law, and now Apple seems doomed, but maybe not, if they advocate some of the already developed mac FPS's.

elppa
Feb 28, 2007, 12:23 PM
Those paying attention to what was being said when the iPhone was announced would of course remember that SJ was looking at market sizes - including that of game consoles. It was tiny - and was dismissed by the man as a market not worthy of Apple's time... Unlike phones.

Those not paying attention errr... will have missed that :p

He only showed numbers of units sold, which is quite a simplistic measurement. It doesn't take into account the margins you can make on a product.

For example, far more takeaway food is sold than computers, so maybe the computer market is not worthy of Apple's time.

You will hear it time and time again (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies,_damned_lies,_and_statistics), but you can literately get statistics to prove anything you wish.