PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 2 update

digital1
May 28, 2003, 02:56 PM
I thought this was a neat novel idea from Sony. Some might think its complete crap. I think its a pretty good idea and closes the gap between PS2 and XBox. I dont really feel like breaking in my opinion on processing power, because I have my own opinion on how processing power and the entire computing experience should be measured(namely the ENTIRE architecture, and inuitive software) but anywho. I thought this device to be quite cool.

http://news.com.com/2100-1043_3-1010633.html?tag=fd_top

and here is more info

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/news/news_6029048.html

digital1
May 28, 2003, 02:57 PM
I meant intuitive..... sorry guys.....

~Orlando

jethroted
May 28, 2003, 03:05 PM
I think this could be a cool piece of hardware. If the price is right, I might pick one up even though i already have a ps2. I like the dvd copy thing, and tv recording. Good job Sony!

MrMacMan
May 28, 2003, 04:25 PM
Bah, japan gets everything faster then us.

'you guys are going to get this at the start of 2004 year'
:2004:
'Where is the PSX?'
'There has been a delay, it will be coming to the U.S summer time'
:summer:
'Where is the PSX?'
'It Will be here next month'
:next month:
'WHERE IS MY PSX?'
'we can only make non dvd drive 40 GB HD models, if you wish to get the Japanese one you will have to wait for 2005'
:2005:
'Where is my good PSX?'
'Why get that, when you have PS 3!?!"
;) :rolleyes:

digital1
May 28, 2003, 04:27 PM
HA HA HA HA HA!!! I so agree! :-D Japan has all the fun stuff, except we get cool apple gear here first usually. Can someone confirm this? I just say it cause it makes sense and that whole thing of Apple being on the same continent as us.

mac15
May 29, 2003, 03:37 AM
we've got a while to wait, I'm gonna buy one when they come out. I already own a Ps2 but I want one of these :)

digital1
May 29, 2003, 08:31 AM
I am still debating weather or not I should get one of these. I love the idea, but there's the whole money issue. LOL

Arcady
May 30, 2003, 12:27 AM
It has a connector that looks like the old AAUI ethernet connector. I wonder what that's for?

Wardofsky
May 30, 2003, 01:13 AM
I bought the PS2 when it was around AUD $700-759 dollars and then a few months later it went down to around $400.

The fact that I barely use it is what makes it even worse.

MacBandit
May 30, 2003, 01:19 AM
Here's a PDF of the Sony presentation of the PSX and PSP.

http://www.sony.co.jp/SonyInfo/IR/info/presen/mr_keiho/kuta_j_0528.pdf

For anyone that doesn't a PDF plugin for there browser so you can view PDFs in the browser without downloading them you have to get this it works great.

http://www.schubert-it.com/pluginpdf/

scem0
May 30, 2003, 01:21 AM
sounds like more of a computer than a game console.... ;)

MacBandit
May 30, 2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by scem0
sounds like more of a computer than a game console.... ;)

It's more of an entertainment center then a game console. Okay here's what I'm guessing. We all know that Sony sells a Linux system for the PS2. Tivo runs on Linux. So what you have is a PVR with cable and sattelite tuners built in. A DVD recorder to save your shows and they used the PS2 hardware to power all of it. Oh, and because it has the PS2 hardware you can play Playstation games.

scem0
May 30, 2003, 01:47 AM
seems more logical to me just to buy a computer. But that's just me..... :)

MacBandit
May 30, 2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by scem0
seems more logical to me just to buy a computer. But that's just me..... :)

I don't know. A computer doesn't have the ease of use of a Tivo and it's a pain in the ass to burn your Tivo video. Also the amount of quality games hitting the PS2 every month could make any computer envious. Also with game services like this (http://www.gamefly.com/) now who wants to play games on a computer.

digital1
May 30, 2003, 08:55 AM
Good point Macbandit. I mean yeah you can do all this stuff with a computer, and yes your computer will probably do it better in some instances. But this device offers the ease of use and the ability to stick it in the center of all the action at home. Remember even though we are all comfortable with computers there are some people who may still not want to give in, but they are comfortable with Stereo components. There are more people like that than you think. But this just offers a great way of conveniently doing all that other stuff you could do on your computer.

MacBandit
May 30, 2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by digital1
Good point Macbandit. I mean yeah you can do all this stuff with a computer, and yes your computer will probably do it better in some instances. But this device offers the ease of use and the ability to stick it in the center of all the action at home. Remember even though we are all comfortable with computers there are some people who may still not want to give in, but they are comfortable with Stereo components. There are more people likie that than you think. But this just offers a great way of conveniently doing all that other stuff you could do on your computer.

The other thing is my computer is in a computer room on the other side of the house. Yes I could work up some network or something but that's kind of a pain and you will never have the user interface and ease of use that a dedicated box has. Also if I crash my computer I don't lose my entertainment center. The dedicated boxes are rock solid because you never screw with them. Also a dedicated box can have much cleaner picture and sound because they are built for that purpose only. They are designed to eliminate internal interference and the such were as it's very difficult to get very very clean sound out of a computer as there is a lot of interference going on inside the box.

digital1
May 30, 2003, 01:27 PM
The other thing is my computer is in a computer room on the other side of the house. Yes I could work up some network or something but that's kind of a pain and you will never have the user interface and ease of use that a dedicated box has. Also if I crash my computer I don't lose my entertainment center. The dedicated boxes are rock solid because you never screw with them. Also a dedicated box can have much cleaner picture and sound because they are built for that purpose only. They are designed to eliminate internal interference and the such were as it's very difficult to get very very clean sound out of a computer as there is a lot of interference going on inside the box.

Also there is the whole idea of the box itself being optimized for a limited amount of functions that are able to fully take advantage of the things that device can do; as opposed to a general use device like a PC/Mac that is optimized in some ways but not in others. But good points there Bandit. Oh and if you hadn't noticed.... likie=like..... :rolleyes: sorry guys LOL
:D

dstorey
May 30, 2003, 03:13 PM
Now what would be intresting would be if this was Mac compatible like tivo's and could be added to the digital hub. What i noticed was that the cell link in that article talks about the processor sony are making forthe play station 3 (they want it to be 1,000 times more owerful they say) and it mentions that

' Since early 2001, Sony Computer Entertainment, IBM and Toshiba have teamed to develop Cell, a new multimedia processor touted as a "supercomputer on a chip." Elements of its design are expected in future server chips from IBM.

The Sony announcement is a "confirmation of the progress we've made with the Cell design itself, of our advances in semiconductor technology to help it reach its full potential and of Cell's far-reaching implications for a wide variety of applications," said John Kelly, senior vice president and group executive for the IBM Technology Group.

so it sounds intresting for the future of apple computers if it filters down into their computing, and with sony wanting distrobutedcomputing in the playstation 3 then it would be great if it was somehow compatible with the mac to share processing and intergrated into the hub, becoming apples users option for a tivo like devicer and home gaming in one swoop.

digital1
May 30, 2003, 03:50 PM
That would be so cool! PowerPc 970 with the cell processor. Apple already admires Sony and they share SOME technology. not much for though cause companies do it all the time, but it would be cool if Sony and Apple collaborated. Can anyone say power macs/powerbooks running Cell chips??? thats just dreaming though, it would be very cool though...

neilbears
Jun 2, 2003, 01:04 AM
Maybe it'll be a PS with TIVO? Sony makes TIVO's ... anyone think of that?

MacBandit
Jun 2, 2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by neilbears
Maybe it'll be a PS with TIVO? Sony makes TIVO's ... anyone think of that?

Yes. Here's my post just up the page.

It's more of an entertainment center then a game console. Okay here's what I'm guessing. We all know that Sony sells a Linux system for the PS2. Tivo runs on Linux. So what you have is a PVR with cable and sattelite tuners built in. A DVD recorder to save your shows and they used the PS2 hardware to power all of it. Oh, and because it has the PS2 hardware you can play Playstation game

neilbears
Jun 2, 2003, 01:12 AM
Then I'll buy two... thanks.

MacBandit
Jun 2, 2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by neilbears
Then I'll buy two... thanks.

Yeah, I've already told my fiancÚ that if it does what I think it's suppose to do that I'm going to buy one and move the Sony DirecTivo box we have now to the bedroom and the PS2 to the bedroom and replace them both with the PSX.