Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I wonder how they would spec it to keep it distinct from the Pro. And how much it would cost?

If you haven't already done, you should submit this

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
They can keep it distinct from the MBP simply by continuing to include Intel integrated graphics and some of the really whizz-bang features like the illuminated keyboard and other masturbate-worthy perks.

Oh, and maybe LED backlights for the LCDs in the MBP, and conventional LCD tech for the MacBook.

By the time that 15" MacBook is out, I think the upcoming, new and improved integrated graphics is coming out. Doesn't sound exciting, but it's not going to be bad at all. I would actually upgrade my current MacBook to a MacBook with that integrated graphics chip when the time comes. :)

(Well, I was considering an upgrade to a MBP, but lets see what happens...)

ashokc

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2007
I hope they dont release it at a lower price I just bought a new macbook two days ago :(

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
It says this 15.4" model is to "debut". That suggests to me it's new, rather than an update.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001

Digitimes claims that Apple will be shipping 15.4" MacBooks in the second quarter of 2007:

Apple is planning to introduce 15.4-inch MacBooks in the second quarter of 2007, according to industry sources in Taiwan. The new model will fill the gap between the company's 13.3-inch MacBooks and the 15.4- and 17-inch MacBook Pros that form its current notebook line up, and is expected to boost shipments of Apple's Intel-powered MacBooks, the sources add.

Historically, Digitimes has not been very accurate with their predictions, but a number of recent Digitimes rumors have been corroborated, if not confirmed. (LED-backlit Laptops, Apple Notebook with Robson Caching)

Drizzt

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2006
Interesting. One wonders how this could affect the MBPs. I wonder how the average consumer will react...

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
I say bring it on! As an owner of a Power Book G4 and an owner of a Mac Pro 2.66, I was holding off on buying a new Mac Book Pro as I don't want to dish out over 2 grand for another Mac that would become obsolete in a matter of months, and I don't want a teeny-tiny Mac Book either. If a 15.4" Mac Book becomes available for roughly $1500, I'm on it like white on rice :cool:

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
I would really prefer to see new MBP instead...:rolleyes:

I'd rather a replacement for the 12" PowerBook filled the gap instead.

is there any market for this? wouldn't it be more logical a small mbp?

I think this detracts greatly from the MBP range. An ultraportable 12" MBP would be a smarter move...

That's the content of over half the posts thus far for good reason. agreed.

-Evan

sluthy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2002
Bundaberg, Qld. Australia
If the next MBP comes out in April with LED backlighting, HDTV-ready resolution (1920x1200 preferably, for extra vertical real-estate) and all the Santa Rosa goodies (draft-N WiFi, Robson flash cache etc), then I'm buying one. I'm not waiting for Perryn or anything, but Santa Rosa is right around the corner.

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
Everyone has a cheap 15 inch laptop....except apple.
My girlfriend bought a 15 inch HP for $500 because the macbook screen was too small for her.
I think apple is missing this market. Not everyone can afford a pro machine for screen size.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I really hope they don't do what they did with the 12" and 14" iBooks and have the same resolution for both screen sizes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.