PDA

View Full Version : Dual Processors and OS X

MacRumors
Aug 12, 2001, 02:19 PM
A few weeks ago, InsideMacGames (http://www.insidemacgames.com) posted an <href="http://www.insidemacgames.com/features/view.php?ID=59"]interview with Omni Group's Tim Wood[/url].

He notes that (at that time) a Dual 500mhz/G4 with GeForce 2 MX runs Giants at approximately the same speed as a 1.3GHz Athlon, 266MHz frontside bus, PC2100 DDR Memory, GeForce 3.

More interesting to those of us waiting for our Dual 800's to arrive... Tim Wood comments regarding a 867mhz vs Dual 800mhz in non-multithreaded games:

For a game that's not multi-threaded, it will probably be similar in speed to the 867MHz. Even though your game is not specifically multi-threaded, the sound libraries on OS X take advantage of both processors. So the sound will be offloaded to a separate processor. So you'll make up some of the time. I don't know if it will be 67MHz worth of time, but it'll be close.

JoyBoy
Aug 12, 2001, 03:40 PM
Tim Wood also goes on to say that Omni Group's future ports will be multi-threaded when possible.

I don't know about anyone else but I think Omni Group pretty much kicks a bunch of a$$. I mean seriously, they port awesome games so incredibly fast. They appear to be as good as Westlake, who also rocks. With porting machines like these people Mac gaming is sucking less and less...I like this.

Mmmm...Giants....UT...OS X....

MrMacMan
Aug 12, 2001, 08:04 PM
has Great people that work Diligent. And many games will be ported to the mac with this group. I hope they will port more popular Pc games. Like Some Westwood games or even Roller Coaster Tycoon.

JoyBoy
Aug 12, 2001, 08:54 PM
Rollercoaster Tycoon? Heh...sorry but WTF?
I'm sure you like that game and all is well with it...but if you're going to start making requests, request something like Tribes 2 or Black & White!
Just my opinion as a Mac Gamer :D

MrMacMan
Aug 12, 2001, 09:06 PM
I said westwood. They have like 3 different game series. They have RA2 and many other good games. I have not left out that that others could be good. I don't like A huge lot of gore and blood.

JoyBoy
Aug 13, 2001, 12:43 PM
That is very admirable not to want blood and gore, but when it comes down to it those games sell. We're sick people, but people like what they like. The list of violent games of the year goes on and on. Diablo II,Unreal Tournament, Dues Ex are high just to name a few. They are considered that because they sold like crazy. Though, I think there are many good non-violent games already available. The Sims is the biggest one that comes to my mind.

MrMacMan
Aug 13, 2001, 08:48 PM
Just to say I don't like bloodly games is a understatement. Just saying there is many games that rival total bloodly games. I own the sim's. And have you seen Ra2? It is fairly bloody. And notice that I did not put the emphasis on Roller Coaster Tycoon. Man I don't need All bloody games.

JoyBoy
Aug 14, 2001, 12:06 PM
You know what this comes down to...
Omni Group rules
Westlake rules
Mac gaming sucks less
We're all winners in the end.
I'm drooling over Giants screens.

NO B&W
Aug 14, 2001, 02:10 PM
I have done the Black and White thang on my PC and found it lacking. No Mac port please, waste of manhours... I'd much rather have the Nevewinter Nights toolset. I think ARS had a good review of B&W, they gave a 5 out of ten and thier review is right on the money...

Peace

MrMacMan
Aug 15, 2001, 09:19 PM
Aw, did it suck that bad? Wooo.

No b&W
Aug 16, 2001, 12:20 AM
well I did have fun for a couple of days...

=)

you may too but read Ars Technica's review

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/01q3/bw/bw-1.html

that review is accurate...

mebbe buy it to support Mac gaming...

Kinda hi price for a vote though...

peace

Kela
Aug 16, 2001, 04:05 AM
How can black and white be a good game. It makes no sense. I mean, you have a farm and suddenly you move your finger on your trackpad in a certain way (gesture recognition) and a weird mutant (PIg with an elephant??) appears and starts braying like a donkey!! WHAT HAS HAPPNED TO MAC GAMING! What we need is that new awesome Normande WW2 Simulator thing. OHH MAN THAT LOOKS SO COOL. I forget the name but the graphics and realism!!

OS_Master
Aug 16, 2001, 05:53 AM
Now we get a game assessment from the sharp-of-mind Kela, who has never even played Black&White, which is an excellent game, mind you. Please, Kela, let us wait in anxious anticipation for further commentary so that we migth be graced with your sacred opinion on this issue. It is as though a team of several highly cognitive philosophers have given their verdict, when your wise mouth opens to blather facts to us.

I am all a-tingle with anticipation of your next word.

MrMacMan
Aug 16, 2001, 08:42 PM
Okay, why do you praise him? Well mac gaming is going towards the right direction. Good games are coming out for the mac and let's see if they sell.
On a side note the Dell commericals Suck. "Dude your getting a dell" and in "steven's voice" he sound like a total idiot. Dell has braind washed him.

JoyBoy
Aug 16, 2001, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Kela
How can black and white be a good game. It makes no sense. I mean, you have a farm and suddenly you move your finger on your trackpad in a certain way (gesture recognition) and a weird mutant (PIg with an elephant??) appears and starts braying like a donkey!! WHAT HAS HAPPNED TO MAC GAMING! What we need is that new awesome Normande WW2 Simulator thing. OHH MAN THAT LOOKS SO COOL. I forget the name but the graphics and realism!!

Black & White is an amazing and enjoyable game. You're not a farmer, you're a god.That "weird mutant" is your creature who you can train to do your bidding. You can be a god of good or one who leans towards or embraces evil. You compete against(sometimes with) other gods for worship territory, the game is highly addictive.
I BET IT IS SO COOL, SO COOL that you can't remember the name.