PDA

View Full Version : Apple Security Update 2007-002, Daylight Savings Update and More

MacRumors
Feb 15, 2007, 06:06 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple released a number of software updates today under Mac OS X's Software Update feature. The first is a security update that "is recommended for all users and improves the security of the following components:"

- CoreServices
- iChat
- UserNotificationCenter

More detailed information about the changes are listed at Apple (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305102).

Apple also revealed a Daylight Saving Time Update due to recent changes on the dates Daylight Savings will occur this year:

The Daylight Saving Time Update for Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server addresses recent changes in the way Daylight Saving Time will be observed in the U.S. and Canada beginning in March 2007 and includes the latest time zone information for the rest of the world.

More information is at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305056

Other updates also listed by Apple include:

- Java for Mac OS X 10.3 Update 5 (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/javaformacosx104release5.html)
- Java for Mac OS X 10.4 Update 5 (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/javaformacosx104release5.html)
- WebObjects 5.3.3 (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/webobjects533.html)
- Final Cut Pro 5.1.3 (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/finalcutpro513.html)

bloogersnigen
Feb 15, 2007, 06:08 PM
downloaded all, works fine. Haven't noticed anything different yet. Wait why is the screen flickering!

ksgant
Feb 15, 2007, 06:17 PM
I JUST got my 24" iMac yesterday, and thought my software updates were going to be done for a while, then I noticed this popping up.

Worked perfectly though, so no complaints.

rye9
Feb 15, 2007, 06:22 PM
isn't an OS update due soon though which will include the security update?

thejadedmonkey
Feb 15, 2007, 06:25 PM
iChat update?

gerrycurl
Feb 15, 2007, 06:27 PM
here's the link from apple, as usual no information:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/firmware_hardware/geforce7300gtfirmwareupdate.html

i was hoping this firmware update would allow me to now get the drivers to have portrait view on my samsung 24" synchmaster, but it gives me nothing.

what the heck is this firmware for? performance enhancements?

and how come nvidia has no apple drivers or software?

i'm freaking frustrated with nvidia, this will only force me to go with ati, or buy a completely new rig and install windows vista... all i want is portrait view!

by the way, i installed all the other updates, things are working smoothly...

Doctor Q
Feb 15, 2007, 06:28 PM
Finder

Mounting a maliciously-crafted disk image may lead to an application crash or arbitrary code executionA buffer overflow exists in Finder's handling of volume names. By enticing a user to mount a malicious disk image, an attacker could trigger this issue, which may lead to an application crash or arbitrary code execution. A proof of concept for this issue has been published on the "Month of Apple Bugs" website (MOAB-09-01-2007). This update addresses the issue by performing additional validation of disk images. This issue does not affect systems prior to Mac OS X v10.4. Credit to Kevin Finisterre of DigitalMunition for reporting this issue.

iChat

Attackers on the local network may be able to cause iChat to crashA null pointer dereference in iChat's Bonjour message handling could allow a local network attacker to cause an application crash. A proof of concept for this issue in Mac OS X v10.4 has been published on the "Month of Apple Bugs" website (MOAB-29-01-2007). A similar issue exists in Mac OS X v10.3. This update addresses the issues by performing additional validation of Bonjour messages.

iChat

Visiting malicious websites may lead to an application crash or arbitrary code executionA format string vulnerability exists in the iChat AIM URL handler. By enticing a user to access a maliciously-crafted AIM URL, an attacker can trigger the overflow, which may lead to an application crash or arbitrary code execution. A proof of concept for this issue has been published on the "Month of Apple Bugs" website (MOAB-20-01-2007). This update addresses the issue by performing additional validation of AIM URLs.

UserNotification

Malicious local users may be able to obtain system privilegesThe UserNotificationCenter process runs with elevated privileges in the context of a local user. This may allow a malicious local user to overwrite or modify system files. A program that triggers this issue has been published on the "Month of Apple Bugs" website (MOAB-22-01-2007). This update addresses the issue by having UserNotificationCenter drop its group privileges immediately after launching.

lazyrighteye
Feb 15, 2007, 06:32 PM
No issues, yet.

Dual 2 GHz PPC G5
2.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM

apfhex
Feb 15, 2007, 06:36 PM
Interesting all MOAB fixes. Like to see MS respond to a Month of Vista Bugs. :D

I thought the DST issue had been addressed long ago, or have there been even more recent changes to DST? Ah I see, they're addressing more regions, as well as 10.3 users. :cool:

The 2007 time zone and Daylight Saving Time rule changes for the United States and most of Canada are already available in Mac OS X 10.4.5 or later.

Some additional regions that recently adopted time zone and DST changes are available in the February, 2007 Daylight Saving Time Update.

Markabre
Feb 15, 2007, 06:55 PM
I wonder if this is due to some kind of delay with 10.4.9. It seemed just around the corner a few weeks ago with constant seeds and few known issues but then it all went quiet....

MrCrowbar
Feb 15, 2007, 07:03 PM
Well, it's cool to see that Apple fixes the thing addressed in the month of apple bugs so quickly.

Peace
Feb 15, 2007, 07:04 PM
I wonder if this is due to some kind of delay with 10.4.9. It seemed just around the corner a few weeks ago with constant seeds and few known issues but then it all went quiet....

Apple is waiting on some important stuff before releasing 10.4.9 ;)

Hang Loose

jonharris200
Feb 15, 2007, 07:13 PM
iMac 20" and black MacBook*, both Intel Core 2 Duo, both running Tiger 10.4.8, both updated fine.

* Refurb, arrived today, with 2GB RAM - yay! Sorry to repeat myself from other threads, I'm just very happy about that. :D Many thanks :apple:

justflie
Feb 15, 2007, 07:16 PM

Hang Loose

I wish I could know what you know! :D

Markabre
Feb 15, 2007, 07:20 PM

Hang Loose

Yeah this certainly gives me that kinda feeling. Either:

- its done and they're waiting for something for it to coincide with. I would assume a release before iphone/leopard/wwdc however.
- It's already complete well in advance of when they needed it so they can now concentrate on Leopard.
- It's been delayed to add more features than initially planned

...and why the hell am i being sucked into speculating about apple..and not a particularly exciting release either. i think i caught the bug :/ help!

HailToTheVictor
Feb 15, 2007, 07:26 PM
MBP CD 1.83 All Good thus far

Sandfleaz
Feb 15, 2007, 07:29 PM
...and why the hell am i being sucked into speculating about apple..and not a particularly exciting release either. i think i caught the bug :/ help!

Quick, purchase 100 shares of Apple stock ...the only known cure!

iJawn108
Feb 15, 2007, 07:39 PM
hmmm the latest camino knightly isnt runing properly

puckhead193
Feb 15, 2007, 07:41 PM
the final cut update didn't come up in software updates for me :confused:

rfaulder
Feb 15, 2007, 07:49 PM
Safari seems snappier.

Grakkle
Feb 15, 2007, 08:01 PM
Updated. Haven't noticed any difference thus far - but I've only been using the computer for a few minutes.

starwxrwx
Feb 15, 2007, 08:04 PM
yay from WA for daylight savings

lancestraz
Feb 15, 2007, 08:07 PM
I kernel panicked after the updates. Had to boot from the install DVD and repair disk.

Everything seems fine now.
But still... Grrrr...

boxandrew
Feb 15, 2007, 08:11 PM
All the updates downloaded fine except the 10.4 Java Update, which my mac currently estimates will take another 10 hours. Could just be a problem my end, but why would the Security and Timezone Updates be so fast compared to this? :confused:

k2k koos
Feb 15, 2007, 08:19 PM
Safari seems snappier.

Yes, I think so too, just installed, restarted and started browsing, it is defenitely snappier.... hope there are no incompatible websites out there now...there weren't that many...

justflie
Feb 15, 2007, 08:33 PM
No problems with my update, other than the annoyance of restarting. Yay for more problems fixed.

Westside guy
Feb 15, 2007, 08:50 PM
Safari seems snappier.

Why'd it take 20 posts? People are dropping the ball here!

:D

thejadedmonkey
Feb 15, 2007, 08:50 PM

Hang Loose

You drive me batty sometimes Peace. Can I hit you, and get into a fight with peace, does that mean peace would fight? is it even possible for peace to fight? Wouldn't that make peace not peace? :confused:

Yeah peace, it's kinda like that when you drive me batty ;)

daneoni
Feb 15, 2007, 08:57 PM
Update ran fine although downloads were slow, i guess servers were being hammered. Had to restart though. Oh well RAM needed 'flushing' anyways.

AliensAreFuzzy
Feb 15, 2007, 08:58 PM
I love how the update for Daylight Saving Time is almost 2 megs bigger than the security update.:rolleyes:

phillipjfry
Feb 15, 2007, 09:12 PM
Interesting all MOAB fixes. Like to see MS respond to a Month of Vista Bugs. :D

I thought the DST issue had been addressed long ago, or have there been even more recent changes to DST? Ah I see, they're addressing more regions, as well as 10.3 users. :cool:

Yea, Indiana jumped on the DST bandwagon for the first time late last year (I hate having to switch my clocks!).

Yeah this certainly gives me that kinda feeling. Either:

- its done and they're waiting for something for it to coincide with. I would assume a release before iphone/leopard/wwdc however.
- It's already complete well in advance of when they needed it so they can now concentrate on Leopard.
- It's been delayed to add more features than initially planned

No reason to release 10.4.9 and then right after that, release a security update. Why not incorporate all the MOAB fixes into 10.4.9? That's the kinda thing you'd expect from Redmond, right? :)

Digitalclips
Feb 15, 2007, 09:14 PM
Why are the negative votes for this? It makes you wonder about some people!:confused:

thejadedmonkey
Feb 15, 2007, 09:16 PM
Update ran fine although downloads were slow, i guess servers were being hammered. Had to restart though. Oh well RAM needed 'flushing' anyways.

I thought only windows needed the ram "flushed" like that..

synth3tik
Feb 15, 2007, 09:23 PM
I have to admit that I am somewhat of an update junky. Nice to get a quick fix while waiting for 10.4.9

iJawn108
Feb 15, 2007, 09:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHO8l-Bd1O4

"I am the mighty finder, I can find anything" :D

iGuy
Feb 15, 2007, 09:40 PM
Sadly Final Cut Pro won't launch.

I re-installed from my original install DVDs but it didn't make a difference. The splash screen pops-up and then vanishes.

Any ideas?

I'm running Final Cut Studio on a PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 with 8GB RAM and an nVidia FX 4500 driving an Apple 30" Cinema Display.

~iGuy

Digitalclips
Feb 15, 2007, 09:53 PM
I thought only windows needed the ram "flushed" like that..

Wow it is slow compared to usual.

Just installed FiOS 15 Mb download ability and this update is running at 15kb it seems. It must be all the new 'switchers' and I say, welcome :)

Sadly Final Cut Pro won't launch.

I re-installed from my original install DVDs but it didn't make a difference. The splash screen pops-up and then vanishes.

Any ideas?

I'm running Final Cut Studio on a PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 with 8GB RAM and an nVidia FX 4500 driving an Apple 30" Cinema Display.

~iGuy

Similar set up to you, I will know in a moment or two ... I made a Clone first in case.

Similar set up to you, I will know in a moment or two ... I made a Clone first in case.

OK back up, and pleased to say all is fine. FCPro HD ran perfectly. Everything seems a hell of a lot faster! Safari seems way faster as did FCPro...

elppa
Feb 15, 2007, 09:54 PM
iMac 20" and black MacBook*, both Intel Core 2 Duo, both running Tiger 10.4.8, both updated fine.

* Refurb, arrived today, with 2MB RAM - yay! Sorry to repeat myself from other threads, I'm just very happy about that. :D Many thanks :apple:

You'd wouldn't get OS X started up on 2 MB of RAM, let alone do anything with it.

2 GB is another story of course. :)

True Story: I have actually started OS X up on 32MB of RAM. It takes about 10 minutes, but it runs just about. It was when I tried to install a RAM upgrade and hadn't quite done it right.

Edit: Safari certainly feels snappier here as well.

CJD2112
Feb 15, 2007, 10:10 PM
OK back up, and pleased to say all is fine. FCPro HD ran perfectly. Everything seems a hell of a lot faster! Safari seems way faster as did FCPro...

Wow, holy crap, Final Cut Pro is crazy fast now! It wasn't that slow (at least so I thought) on my Mac Pro, but I just loaded it up after reading some of the comments that some users can't load it after the upgrade. Impressive!

iGuy
Feb 15, 2007, 10:27 PM
Wow, holy crap, Final Cut Pro is crazy fast now! It wasn't that slow (at least so I thought) on my Mac Pro, but I just loaded it up after reading some of the comments that some users can't load it after the upgrade. Impressive!

What version of FCP are using? I was using 5.0.3 but after re-installing it reverted back to 5.0.0 and Software Update doesn't catch it. If I recall correctly I should be able to delete the FCP receipt and perform an update.

Wish me luck.

elppa
Feb 15, 2007, 10:35 PM
I love how the update for Daylight Saving Time is almost 2 megs bigger than the security update.:rolleyes:

Time/Dates are hard to program.

There's so many exceptions to rules.

I'm not surprised by this.

iGuy
Feb 15, 2007, 10:37 PM
updated FCP to 5.0.4

but it won't launch, the splash screen starts and then disappears

very disappointing

i haven't updated to 5.1 because Apple Canada doesn't support the exchange of install DVDs, we have to send them to the US and i didn't want to incur both the expense, hassle and the thought of possibly losing my master install DVDs

any ideas?

jiwa
Feb 15, 2007, 10:44 PM
yay from WA for daylight savings

Indeed! Took 'em long enough.

Roll on, Leopard..

bigandtasty
Feb 15, 2007, 10:49 PM
another not so bigandtasty update, still one step closer to 10.5... Roll out leopard!

phillipjfry
Feb 15, 2007, 10:51 PM
I see some Safari improvement comments
I dont have my iMac just yet (just two more weeks!), can someone see if they fixed the error on websites (like bestbuy.com) and see if the pulldown menus are screwed up like they have been?

puckhead193
Feb 15, 2007, 11:07 PM
why doesn't FCP come up in software updates, seems pretty silly and un-apple. If its registered it should go through.... :confused:

Rod Rod
Feb 15, 2007, 11:35 PM
updated FCP to 5.0.4

very disappointing

i haven't updated to 5.1 because Apple Canada doesn't support the exchange of install DVDs, we have to send them to the US and i didn't want to incur both the expense, hassle and the thought of possibly losing my master install DVDs

any ideas?

I suggest you save your install DVDs as disk images on a hard drive, then send them in for the crossgrade program (http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/). Use Disk Utility for that (not Toast). It's well worth it. I got my crossgrade discs after about a week.

Right now, I bet FCP isn't launching at all because something's wrong with your Final Cut Studio System ID file. It's in the ProApps folder. Delete that file (or rename it, adding "old" to the end of it if you like), launch FCP and enter your serials.

why doesn't FCP come up in software updates, seems pretty silly and un-apple. If its registered it should go through.... :confused:
It showed up in my software update.

You might have your Final Cut Studio applications somewhere other than the default install location, which is the top level of your Applications folder. If your FCS apps are somewhere else, Software Update won't find them. If Software Update were to scour everyone's hard drives everywhere, the process would take way longer.

puckhead193
Feb 15, 2007, 11:38 PM
You might have your Final Cut Studio applications somewhere other than the default install location, which is the top level of your Applications folder. If your FCS apps are somewhere else, Software Update won't find them. If Software Update were to scour everyone's hard drives everywhere, the process would take way longer.

Dam, i put all of FCS apps in a folder for easy access and put a short cut in my dock. W.E. i just manually did it...

justflie
Feb 16, 2007, 12:25 AM
Hey all,

update worked fine here, but there's still a lingering problem for me; whenever i use bootcamp, windows changes the time format for the computer time automatically. However, upon restarting in to OS X, the XP time standard remains and the time is off by a number of hours. In the time/date system pref, i have "set date & time automatically" checked, but it never actually does it on its own. I have to open that window in sys prefs and THEN it will change the time for me. It's a real pain in the butt. Any ideas on why this is happening??? (and by the way, my firewall allows "Network Time" to pass)

EricNau
Feb 16, 2007, 12:31 AM
Hey all,

update worked fine here, but there's still a lingering problem for me; whenever i use bootcamp, windows changes the time format for the computer time automatically. However, upon restarting in to OS X, the XP time standard remains and the time is off by a number of hours. In the time/date system pref, i have "set date & time automatically" checked, but it never actually does it on its own. I have to open that window in sys prefs and THEN it will change the time for me. It's a real pain in the butt. Any ideas on why this is happening??? (and by the way, my firewall allows "Network Time" to pass)
That's just a normal problem with BootCamp.

iGuy
Feb 16, 2007, 01:24 AM
Right now, I bet FCP isn't launching at all because something's wrong with your Final Cut Studio System ID file. It's in the ProApps folder. Delete that file (or rename it, adding "old" to the end of it if you like), launch FCP and enter your serials.

I deleted the ID file, launched FCP, entered my serial number and once again the splash screen appeared and then vanished.

So it still doesn't work.

I'm not a happy camper at the moment.

thejadedmonkey
Feb 16, 2007, 01:25 AM
That's just a normal problem with BootCamp.

And with the hacked OS X (IIRC)

zen
Feb 16, 2007, 01:42 AM
I'm in the UK and software update isn't showing any software to download??

ppnkg
Feb 16, 2007, 01:51 AM
installed everything, looks ok. Now waiting for 10.4.9 and Leopard....

aswitcher
Feb 16, 2007, 01:52 AM
Installed. All appears fine.

Is Safari snappier? ;)

Snide
Feb 16, 2007, 02:02 AM
Safari seems snappier.

Yes, it really does!! Oh wait...actually, I haven't installed the updates yet. :rolleyes:

flir67
Feb 16, 2007, 02:13 AM
Hey all,

wait are you talking about xp or os x . if your talking bout xp. hay its windows its suppose to screw up remember :)

if os x , check time zone settings could be a preference that needs resetting. or cache cleaning.

or you have a bot on your computer changing it. reformat 0 level and reinstall.

matticus008
Feb 16, 2007, 02:15 AM
And with the hacked OS X (IIRC)
It has to do with Linux, Solaris, and OS X setting the hardware time to GMT and Windows insisting on "updating" the system clock to local time. It's because Windows decided it couldn't just go along with a standard...not that anyone should be surprised by that.

Shagrat
Feb 16, 2007, 03:02 AM
Why'd it take 20 posts? People are dropping the ball here!

:D
Updates preparing us for G5 powerbooks next.....

ARRRRGH! Sorry. Stopped myself just in time...

DMann
Feb 16, 2007, 03:58 AM
I JUST got my 24" iMac yesterday, and thought my software updates were going to be done for a while, then I noticed this popping up.

Worked perfectly though, so no complaints.

Did you know that a touch screen model is available for the 24" iMac?

DMann
Feb 16, 2007, 03:59 AM
Installed. All appears fine.

Is Safari snappier? ;)

Safari in Leopard 9A343 is really snappy........

JQW
Feb 16, 2007, 05:23 AM
Time/Dates are hard to program.

There's so many exceptions to rules.

I'm not surprised by this.

The compiled zone files are usually fairly small, and are generally no more than 1K each in size. There's just a lot of them.

The files reside in /usr/share/zoneinfo. On some operating systems the source files are also provided here to allow users to recompile the rules if needed, using the 'zic' utility. These rule files contain a lot of historical data on time zones.

dalvin200
Feb 16, 2007, 07:41 AM
* Refurb, arrived today, with 2MB RAM - yay! Sorry to repeat myself from other threads, I'm just very happy about that. :D Many thanks :apple:

2MB RAM? wow.. how do you run any apps? :D

ghall
Feb 16, 2007, 08:38 AM
Downloading updates now. Damn my annoyingly slow internet.

Digitalclips
Feb 16, 2007, 08:54 AM
updated FCP to 5.0.4

very disappointing

any ideas?

I bet that is your problem. Sounds like the update yesterday should have told you you needed to update first instead of messing up your 5.0.4. Don't worry about the master installs, simply make copies of them before sending just in case and I scanned the disks as proof then I sent them via FedEx. I was worried too but the new disks came back in two days.

ghall
Feb 16, 2007, 08:56 AM
Safari is definitaly snappier. It even loaded up faster than it usually does.

askretzinger
Feb 16, 2007, 10:07 AM
I've got a question, I was told that the OSX Operating System had to be updated to 10.4.6 or higher to run the DST update. Is that true?

shawnce
Feb 16, 2007, 10:35 AM
I've got a question, I was told that the OSX Operating System had to be updated to 10.4.6 or higher to run the DST update. Is that true?

Did you read this? http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305056

It states 10.4.8 is required for the latest expanded DST update while 10.4.5 and later already contained the main US related DST changes.

jmre5150
Feb 16, 2007, 12:48 PM
Update went smoothly...no problems here on a 2.33Ghz MBP Core Duo 3GB Ram.

bdj21ya
Feb 16, 2007, 12:52 PM
Did anyone get a gray world symbol (like a flat globe) on boot after installing these updates? I've never seen it before, and I can't see anyone mentioning it on any forums.

Before the gray Apple symbol showed up, there was a gray World logo for a long time before it finally displayed the Apple and continued booting.

iGuy
Feb 16, 2007, 01:27 PM
I bet that is your problem. Sounds like the update yesterday should have told you you needed to update first instead of messing up your 5.0.4. Don't worry about the master installs, simply make copies of them before sending just in case and I scanned the disks as proof then I sent them via FedEx. I was worried too but the new disks came back in two days.

I just got off the phone with Apple Tech Support. The problem was with the Preference files. I deleted:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finalcutpro.plist
~/Library/Preferences/Final Cut Pro User Data

After much pondering, I'll go ahead with the upgrade to 5.1.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Other than this issue, things do seem a little snappier in general after the system updates.

MacsAttack
Feb 16, 2007, 01:37 PM
A Mac Pro and MacBook both updated without problems.

It it my imagination, or does Apple release these security updates just a week or so before they unleash the next full update (10.4.9 in this case). While such updates are not always follow a security update (several can come out between OS version updates), OS X updates is usually preceeded by a security update (allowing those who don;t want to use the new release to still get the security updates) :eek:

Nitromaster
Feb 16, 2007, 02:07 PM
Best bit about security updates is that they fix security holes,Its easier to hack into an unupdated mac if you know what the security holes are.... The macs we have in schoold arent really updated much, The version of firefox is 1.4, at least i have firefox 2 installed to my desktop.

neutrino23
Feb 16, 2007, 03:08 PM
FYI, I've noticed a few problems with Java in Safari lately. On a couple of web sites when trying to rent a car I'll hit the submit button and either nothing happens or the response is as if I had put in screwy dates. It seems like this used to work so it could be something on this system became corrupt. Scans of permissions and the disk showed nothing wrong. The same websites work fine with IE on windows. I tried a restart but nothing changed.

Edit: After applying the Java update the sites I had trouble with now work fine. I don't what the problem was but it was fixed by the update.

scottlinux
Feb 16, 2007, 03:14 PM
Yes, I think so too, just installed, restarted and started browsing, it is defenitely snappier.... hope there are no incompatible websites out there now...there weren't that many...

I think he was joking by saying the default reply people say after any Apple update of any kind.

Laurent
Feb 16, 2007, 03:15 PM
Since I have installed the Security Update 2007-002 on 2 computers, I've checked for Software Updates and it suggest me to download iTunes + QuickTime 7.0.2 and Security Update 2007-001, both of which I already installed.

Anyone noticed the same thing?

BoyBach
Feb 16, 2007, 03:22 PM
Since I have installed the Security Update 2007-002 on 2 computers, I've checked for Software Updates and it suggest me to download iTunes + QuickTime 7.0.2 and Security Update 2007-001, both of which I already installed.

Same for me.

:confused:

nagromme
Feb 16, 2007, 04:30 PM
Did anyone get a gray world symbol (like a flat globe) on boot after installing these updates? I've never seen it before, and I can't see anyone mentioning it on any forums.

Before the gray Apple symbol showed up, there was a gray World logo for a long time before it finally displayed the Apple and continued booting.

Never seen it myself, but here's what it is:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=31355

notsofatjames
Feb 16, 2007, 04:31 PM
It has to do with Linux, Solaris, and OS X setting the hardware time to GMT and Windows insisting on "updating" the system clock to local time. It's because Windows decided it couldn't just go along with a standard...not that anyone should be surprised by that.

but what if your Windows Time ( local time ) is GMT. surely that would mean that both windows and osx have the same time. My local time is GMT, and there's still a time difference between OSX and Windows.

juniormaj
Feb 16, 2007, 06:33 PM

I got that here, too.
For me they showed up at the same time as Security Update 2007-002, and continue to do so after I installed that one. Allowing them to download results in a failure to decompress, however.

>edit<
They no longer show up for me.

Apple Corps
Feb 16, 2007, 06:45 PM
I was getting the failure to decompress message as well - went to the download section and installed from there - all went well. I set Software Update to ignore the ones I was having problems with. All up to date and running well - I think.

celaurie
Feb 16, 2007, 07:06 PM
I was getting the failure to decompress message as well - went to the download section and installed from there - all went well. I set Software Update to ignore the ones I was having problems with. All up to date and running well - I think.

There's a whole seperate feed on this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=280292

~cel

Laurent
Feb 16, 2007, 07:43 PM

Before the gray Apple symbol showed up, there was a gray World logo for a long time before it finally displayed the Apple and continued booting.Your Network Booting is activated. Go in your System Preferences, in the Startup Panel. Choose your Mac OS X folder instead of the Network Boot disk...

bdj21ya
Feb 17, 2007, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the help. Mystery solved. However, network boot was never selected, it must have been a system error (system froze and I had to do a hard reset right before this problem occurred). It's fixed now, although my screen stays black for quite a long time every time I power on. Here's hoping Leopard comes out in March so I can wipe the drive clean and hopefully fix the damage.

matticus008
Feb 17, 2007, 01:12 AM
but what if your Windows Time ( local time ) is GMT. surely that would mean that both windows and osx have the same time. My local time is GMT, and there's still a time difference between OSX and Windows.
What are the times reported in each OS, and what are the designated time zones?

Am3822
Feb 17, 2007, 04:19 AM
Should I keep the MOAB patches provided by Landon Fuller once I've updated?

Viremia
Feb 19, 2007, 10:23 AM
I was able to download and install the Java update without problem

However, the Security Update 2007-002 and DST Update are both failing every time I try.

While downloading those updates, it says at the bottom, downloading (X MB of ----- remaining) where X is the amount of the update downloaded so far (and goes up normally) but there is nothing but dashes for how big it is. It shows how big it is in the top window, just not in the download section.

After it finishes downloading (the correct size as indicated in the top window), I get the red ! for each and a dialog comes up saying, "A network error has occurred: Error NSURLErrorDomain-1005(-1005). Make sure you can connect to the internet, then try again.

I AM connected to the internet. I've rebooted, no difference. I've deleted the com.Apple.SoftwareUpdate folder in the Library/Cache in the hopes that that helps, but no.

Anyone else having this problem?

e.m.
Feb 22, 2007, 08:21 PM
Even though I have downloaded and installed the Security Update 2007-002, software update keeps telling me it is available for download. I downloaded/installed again, but still the same problem.

Anyone else have the same problem?

Rod Rod
Feb 22, 2007, 08:36 PM
Even though I have downloaded and installed the Security Update 2007-002, software update keeps telling me it is available for download. I downloaded/installed again, but still the same problem.

Anyone else have the same problem?
When asking a question like that, it's helpful to report your system specs.

neato, FCP update 5.1.4 and WWAN update in SWU.

e.m.
Feb 22, 2007, 08:50 PM
When asking a question like that, it's helpful to report your system specs.

neato, FCP update 5.1.4 and WWAN update in SWU.

PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz. 15" 1.5GB RAM.
Sorry it wasn't in my earlier post.

I just downloaded the update through the Apple site and installed, and still getting the same problem.

Rod Rod
Feb 22, 2007, 09:00 PM
PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz. 15" 1.5GB RAM.
Sorry it wasn't in my earlier post.
I saw that happen on my Mac mini 1.25 GHz G4 1GB RAM. I think it stopped after I restarted once or twice.

e.m.
Feb 22, 2007, 09:17 PM
I saw that happen on my Mac mini 1.25 GHz G4 1GB RAM. I think it stopped after I restarted once or twice.

I restarted a few times (including shutting down then starting, as opposed to simply restarting). I also tried resetting my PRAM, fixing permissions, trashing my plist for software update. Still the same problem...

Rod Rod
Feb 22, 2007, 09:30 PM
I restarted a few times (including shutting down then starting, as opposed to simply restarting). I also tried resetting my PRAM, fixing permissions, trashing my plist for software update. Still the same problem...
As problems go, though, it's not a showstopper. I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear though.

I guess the unnerving part is the notion that maybe that the update didn't quite take.

e.m.
Feb 22, 2007, 09:36 PM
As problems go, though, it's not a showstopper. I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear though.

I guess the unnerving part is the notion that maybe that the update didn't quite take.

Yeah, I know. It's just a bit annoying.

I think the update is installed because my software update log shows that it has been.

Cult Follower
Feb 22, 2007, 11:09 PM
Apple is handling the daylight savings situation a lot better than microsoft.

Bud
Feb 23, 2007, 07:55 PM
Yeah, I know. It's just a bit annoying.

I think the update is installed because my software update log shows that it has been.

Get Info of iChat.app and if it says it's at version 3.1.6 then Security Update 2007-002 hasn't properly installed even though your Mac says it did.

Read this thread at Apple's Discussion site.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=858763

e.m.
Feb 23, 2007, 10:06 PM
Get Info of iChat.app and if it says it's at version 3.1.6 then Security Update 2007-002 hasn't properly installed even though your Mac says it did.

Read this thread at Apple's Discussion site.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=858763

Hey, thanks for that link.

I only have English and Japanese on my system, so it is consistent with others having the same problem on that board (where they've deleted languages they don't use).

My iChat app is 3.1.6, so the update hasn't installed properly on my system.

I don't know if this is related, but my PowerBook's audio ceased today. Also, keyboard shortcuts for Safari stopped working. These two different problems appeared at different times of the day. A restart fixed both of these problems. I'm wondering if a failed (partial?) security update install caused this problem. I've never had this happen before..

Bud
Feb 24, 2007, 05:24 AM
Hey, thanks for that link.

I only have English and Japanese on my system, so it is consistent with others having the same problem on that board (where they've deleted languages they don't use).

My iChat app is 3.1.6, so the update hasn't installed properly on my system.

I don't know if this is related, but my PowerBook's audio ceased today. Also, keyboard shortcuts for Safari stopped working. These two different problems appeared at different times of the day. A restart fixed both of these problems. I'm wondering if a failed (partial?) security update install caused this problem. I've never had this happen before..

Your welcome. You can use kikusan's instructions on how to successfully install the update if you haven't done it already.

ewoh24
Mar 7, 2007, 08:39 AM
Since the updates, users at my company cannot log in to citrix. Major problem!

DMann
Mar 7, 2007, 11:17 AM
Since the updates, users at my company cannot log in to citrix. Major problem!

Have you tried signing in using Firefox, or another browser? Do contact Citrix about this, and Apple as well. Also, try emptying Safari's cache. I hope there's a work around in the meantime.