Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'm looking at the team ranking right now and wondering something as I see 3 Mac teams in a row - why shouldn't we combine all our teams into one big team and then we'd be 14th or 15th over all?

I think this would be great, don't know if the other teams would be interested, but it might be worth while. Why compete amongst ourselves when together we could really kick some ass!!

I wonder if folding@home would allow us to combine the teams and current stats.....

Anyone else think this is a good idea?

D

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Re: The Macintosh Team

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
I'm looking at the team ranking right now and wondering something as I see 3 Mac teams in a row - why shouldn't we combine all our teams into one big team and then we'd be 14th or 15th over all?

I think this would be great, don't know if the other teams would be interested, but it might be worth while. Why compete amongst ourselves when together we could really kick some ass!!

I wonder if folding@home would allow us to combine the teams and current stats.....

Anyone else think this is a good idea?

D

This is already in the works when the stats reset.

Almost every mac team agreeded that this should be done to show the power of all of us, it would help recuiting, flame wars and such, but might decrease morale .

When the next folding, etc comes out I have heard MacNN, Mac Os X and (one would suppose) us would all be on board, I think Mac Addict also had a similar discussion.

But remember this is all cross boards and that doesn't go over too well.

Things have to be planed, a site maybe? Who is hosting, who has powers, forums?
Etc...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Re: The Macintosh Team

Originally posted by MrMacman
This is already in the works when the stats reset.

When are the stats going to reset?

I'm all for a single huge Mac Team, it would be fantastic - and I forgot about MacNN.

We could just keep the same forums for now and then make sure everyone switches over to the same team. It would be a lot easier if folding would somehow allow us to have separate teams but consider us all on a different one - sort of a subset of a big team...

D

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Re: Re: Re: The Macintosh Team

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
When are the stats going to reset?

I'm all for a single huge Mac Team, it would be fantastic - and I forgot about MacNN.

We could just keep the same forums for now and then make sure everyone switches over to the same team. It would be a lot easier if folding would somehow allow us to have separate teams but consider us all on a different one - sort of a subset of a big team...

D

Well, the problem is, no one knows, only the folding gods themselves can tell us, I guess when folding (v3? v4? v4 /me thinks)

Comes out everyone can make a switch over or something.

The Last part would sorta be hard, keep the competive nature with no central forum?
What are we running a 'headless operation?' :)things of the movie 'cube':)

There are a couple very small Mac Teams out there also, but it wouldn't make a siginificant difference.

Because no one knows when the stasts will reset or folding is updated, no real plans can be offically made.

People also were dealing with switching now or when they reset, but I think the idea was wait it out.

pEZ

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
I don't mean to sound too gung-ho about all this, but that is a great idea. I've always felt kinda wierd competing against all the other mac teams, because we're all kinda trying to show the power in the Macintosh platform.

You would have to have a central website so that all members could have a "home" and a message board to discuss rank and such, like we do here. There would be little sense of community at first, but if people really wanted to do it, it would work.

The final question being, would PCs be "allowed" on the team? Kinda wierd if a so-called all-Mac team folded on PCs too.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I think it would be good to do, if it could be hosted by people from the big teams in a "neutral" space.

If the ÜberMac team's forums and info were on MacNN, or MR, etc, it would be too much like it was that site's team. I think a pow-wow of the head honchos from the teams would be in order to get everyone to sign on.

Maybe we should all just fold for the Apple team. ;)

As for the PCs...hmmm...not sure.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Sounds like a good idea to me. Only problem is getting things organised. A main site would be needed for Mac Folding.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
So who's going to be the MacRumors Team Captain here?

Someone should get things going now so that when the stats get reset we're all ready to go.

D

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Well, it would probably have to be mc68k. If we had a team up and running quickly then we could get a head start.

The macrumors team has done great, especially recently. However, I dont see that we can go much further up the rankings without some major new contributions. (Having said that, with Altivec + the 970's, we could yet start to increase our production.)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by Falleron
Well, it would probably have to be mc68k. If we had a team up and running quickly then we could get a head start.

The macrumors team has done great, especially recently. However, I dont see that we can go much further up the rankings without some major new contributions. (Having said that, with Altivec + the 970's, we could yet start to increase our production.)

Well, we'll be the number 1 Mac team by the end of the summer and gain a couple more places after we've passed and been passed a few times.

I'll talk to mc68k about it when he comes in to work today.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
This sounds like a great idea to me. At the end of the day, we're all mac users, and should logically work together. It would be very nice to have a mac team in the top 20. If all the major mac teams were to come onboard....we'd have rather a large output ;)

One of the major sticking points could be which team everyone migrates to. I would suggest that we all join Apple Computer Inc.. It would make a certain degree of sense.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by britboy
This sounds like a great idea to me. At the end of the day, we're all mac users, and should logically work together. It would be very nice to have a mac team in the top 20. If all the major mac teams were to come onboard....we'd have rather a large output ;)

One of the major sticking points could be which team everyone migrates to. I would suggest that we all join Apple Computer Inc.. It would make a certain degree of sense.

Originally posted by Rower_CPU
I think it would be good to do, if it could be hosted by people from the big teams in a "neutral" space.

If the ÜberMac team's forums and info were on MacNN, or MR, etc, it would be too much like it was that site's team. I think a pow-wow of the head honchos from the teams would be in order to get everyone to sign on.

Maybe we should all just fold for the Apple team. ;)

Great minds think alike. :p

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
I was just adding it all up, and if we could club together with TeamMacNN, MacAddict4life, Team Mac OS X, MacCentral.com and Apple Computer Inc., we'd have a combined output of over 90,000 points per week. That would be.....rather nice.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
i don't like the idea of folding for Apple itself. i'd rather fold for team(s) that have demostrated a competitive spirit in the past. if Apple really had an interest in folding, or distributed computing in general for that matter, then they would have larger output and more than a couple references on their site. of course they created the HW and some of the software that we run it on, but that's like racing for GM even though they didn't sponsor you.

but anyways, i like the conglomerate idea very much...the stats would have to be reset for this to even be feasible and a large advance notice would have to be given. that way we could plan for a specific time rather than something that might not happen in the near future or at all.

that would be nice to give ppl like [H]ard OCP an actual adversary and to see the real depth of unified mac computing resources. i think we would see a much more output than the current sum. the OS backwards compatibility issue is really a hinderance to mac teams...but i see that as more of Apple's fault for going a new direction and completely terminating old technologies. PC ppl can run folding on an old 98 box. mac ppl without the capacity to run X are out of luck. merely having mac machines and a willingness to fold are not sufficient in all cases. it's sort of disheartening-- especially to a large effort.

i'd be happy to represent our team if the opportunity ever presented itself.

pEZ

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
If we are going to do this, it would take an insanely large amount of time to get everyone together. We should try and find an approximate time that the stats will be reset, and if it's in the near future, we should get this team going asap. I'd guess it would take a good 3-6 months to get everyone on the same page with the team thing - everyone is on different schedules, people might not remember who people told to fold for team 3446 who are just running it in the background and forgetting about it, etc. My 2¢.

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
apple comps only?

Im hoping there isn't going to be too much against using windows and linux machines as well as Apples... I have one Apple, but many PC's under my belt that can easily be "good-for-something" by folding.

There is a way to see if the machines turning in WU's are different OS's.. otherwise they wouldn't have the stats (sorry no link) on the main site.

Also,
I agree with mc68k that the Apple team might not be the best choice of unified team. If I was in the Apple team in the company, I'd setup a nice cluster of xserves just to show they can compete with the linux clusters! I'm sure they have plenty of testing rooms where they need to test robustness (the new gromacs code is suppose to be the new burn-in king isn't it???).

- bert

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by bertinman
apple comps only?

Im hoping there isn't going to be too much against using windows and linux machines as well as Apples... I have one Apple, but many PC's under my belt that can easily be "good-for-something" by folding.
most of my machines are PCs...from what I've seen comparing frame times on the same protein between platforms, they produce better.

even the xserve with awesome architecture suffers here. PCs on a mac team is grounds for hypocrisy, but it is a necessary 'evil'.

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
Originally posted by mc68k
most of my machines are PCs...from what I've seen comparing frame times on the same protein between platforms, they produce better.

even the xserve with awesome architecture suffers here. PCs on a mac team is grounds for hypocrisy, but it is a necessary 'evil'.

:) I know you have a large amount of windows machine in your lab. I'm just saying, being a mac fanatic myself, people might tend to look down on the people with higher crunching numbers that use windows instead of Apples.

Would it not be wierd for the top ranks of the Macteam to be populated with mostly windows machines? I find it hard to believe that team members will let that down, or other teams pointing it out to us all the time.

My only defence to anti-mac users that make fun of me being on a mac team with windows machines is that I love the platform and want to support it with all I've got. This is easily thrown back at me all the time. I don't want it to increase so much that both mac users and windows users are not happy with people like me.

Anyway, this has become a rant and I'll end it soon.

I joined the team originally because I liked Apples, but rarly got to use them because I spent all my time reading rumor sites and waiting to buy the next cool new system, and macrumors is visted by alot of people like me -- so I fit in. I'm not sure If all my windows and linux machines would fit into a new team that was suppose to show the combined strength of the Apple computer.

- bert

OT -- I tend to use (if at all) the phrase PC for Apple computers because I use them for my personal use, and also because Apple coined it (didn't they). Also, I find windows machines to be less than personal in most cases and a pirate of the phrase its self.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by bertinman
My only defence to anti-mac users that make fun of me being on a mac team with windows machines is that I love the platform and want to support it with all I've got. This is easily thrown back at me all the time. I don't want it to increase so much that both mac users and windows users are not happy with people like me.
windows machines make over 92% of the client base (for the folding project) so it'd be sort of a pointless endeavour not to use them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.