PDA

View Full Version : anyone own a black macbook?

deadpixels
Feb 17, 2007, 12:58 PM
i wonder about dust and scratches, i knoe the ipod and nanos were quite prone to scratches. is the black macbook the same? does dust and scratches show up on them more than the white ones? thks for any reply.

tommywomble
Feb 17, 2007, 01:05 PM
i wonder about dust and scratches, i knoe the ipod and nanos were quite prone to scratches. is the black macbook the same? does dust and scratches show up on them more than the white ones? thks for any reply.

i was wondering this too,black ipods were terrible for scratching.

phungy
Feb 17, 2007, 01:11 PM
The black MB has a scratch-resistant body. I also have an invisible skin and obsessively baby it (I think its become a disorder :p). As for dust, I'd say its more noticeable than the white MB but the black doesn't necessarily "attract" more dust. It's just more easier to see. A microfiber cloth should do the trick.

Mydel
Feb 17, 2007, 01:13 PM
I happen to own one. Frankly speaking I bought it for my girlfriend but also use it quite often. No I dint have any problem with scratching and dust but always use sleeve and carry it aroud in a padded bag. The only thig I actually dont like is that if your hands ar even little greasy ( what happens quite often :rolleyes: ) you have fingetprints all over the cover.Needs cleaning at least once a week.

Sicarius
Feb 17, 2007, 01:51 PM
Yeah, it's pretty much scratch-proof, anything short of a knife. It shows smudges and palm-prints pretty bad though, but I baby it as well, so it's usually clean.

Side note: My friend stepped right on the keyboard at about 4am this morning, looked at me and said "You didn't see that, right?".

iJawn108
Feb 17, 2007, 03:56 PM
i made a small scratch on mine when i dropped a screw driver on it. lol

But otherwise the black is much more sratch resistant than the white. I was originally just going to get the mid range core duo white... but once I got to the store I saw how scratched they were and how the black ones werent. Also I remembered how when I was a kid I wanted an all black computer. If you don't care about the extra money and the black is more appealing to you, go for it.

BlackMax
Feb 17, 2007, 09:15 PM
I have a Black MacBook and it is fairly scratch resistant. Especially if you compare to the White MacBook which I've heard scratches if you look at it the wrong way.

Occasionally I get smudges or streaks on it, but a quick wipe down with iKlear and it looks like it did the day I took it out of the box. But then that was only about 30 days ago... :D

princealfie
Feb 17, 2007, 11:16 PM
I own a black macbook and well I haven't had any problems with it so far :)

SavageLLama77
Feb 18, 2007, 12:21 AM
My friend has a black MacBook, and he hates it. Even when he cleans it he just doesn't like the black. I don't like it either, for me its the silver and sleek MBP.

gkarris
Oct 9, 2008, 01:58 PM
^^^ Here comes the Aluminum MacBooks!

Actually, I'm glad I bought the black one - I like it and won't be at all dissapointed when I see the Aluminum ones.

If I had bought a white one, then I'd be really upset at myself for not waiting...

Any other Black MacBook owners going to trade up to Aluminum?

BanjoBanker
Oct 9, 2008, 02:06 PM
I love my BlackBook. That being said, like other posters I have to clean it fairly often to remove smudges and hand prints. I use iKlean and it seems to help keep it cleaner longer. Both my children have white MacBooks and I have not noticed any scratches of significance on any of our machines. I say they are pretty much equal in the scratch category. The black is definitely the cooler of the two, IMHO. :cool:

mac4matt
Oct 9, 2008, 02:24 PM
After having owned both for a while, and witnessing all the problems that my friends have had with the white ones, I can say that the Black Macbook is much easier to keep in good shape than the white one. The white ones invariably attract grease stains around the palm rests which, unless you are really careful/clean your notebook regularly/or put a skin on it, will look really bad after even 6 months of use. The white ones also scratch a lot easier, especially on the outside of the case.

Overall, I've spent a lot less time worrying about the looks of my Blackbook than I did with the white one. Just my 2 cents.

mckyvlle
Oct 9, 2008, 09:13 PM
Been using my BlackBook for nearly a year now. There aren't any significant scratches. Although the display cover (where the white Apple logo is) has some scuff marks on it... probably from being in my backpack. Anyone know how to remove those?

Other than that, the BlackBook just needs the occasional rub down to remove dust and fingerprints to look fresh again. :)

Reflow
Oct 9, 2008, 09:26 PM
I just picked up a used black MB. I really like the color but the oily fingerprints do get annoying after a while. Other then that no problems what so ever

forrestmc4
Oct 10, 2008, 09:40 AM
I happen to own one. Frankly speaking I bought it for my girlfriend but also use it quite often. No I dint have any problem with scratching and dust but always use sleeve and carry it aroud in a padded bag. The only thig I actually dont like is that if your hands ar even little greasy ( what happens quite often :rolleyes: ) you have fingetprints all over the cover.Needs cleaning at least once a week.

That's been my experience as well.

marvel2
Oct 10, 2008, 12:26 PM
My friend who owns a black macbook does not take good care of his macbook. He lets many people use it and take it around the house. It is not uncommon to find it missing only to see it laying on the ground. He even takes it outside with him while working on the car.

Throughout all this, his only problem is fingerprints on the casing and screen. There are no scratches.