Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danaleigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
greetings,

my powerbook has started refusing to access a number of websites, instead displaying the message: safari can't open the page "..." because it couldn't establish a secure connection to the server "...".

any ideas? thanks! dana

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Which websites? You can try clicking on the Safari menu (when launched), and then on Reset Safari. It could also be something wrong with the website.

danaleigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
websites

no...the websites work--a bank, yahoo mail, etc. i can access them fine from my iMac.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Did you try to Safari Reset? Also, in Safari > Preferences > Security check to make sure accept cookies isn't set to never. If that both of those fail you could try creating a new account and seeing if the pages load in there.

Simplisticly

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2011
Silly Computer

I can't even access any of the links below... same problem "Safari cannot establish a secure connection"

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
@Simplisticly: Is your computer's date and time set correctly? What version of Mac OS X and Safari do you have?

APlasticFork

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2011
Answer

(P)arental (C)ontrols might be your problem.
Go on PC and click on COntent, then Customize.
Keep This window Open.

Now go on the website that safari cant securre a connection to, and find the i.P of that website. Copy the i.p

http://www.ehow.com/how_4616198_ping-ip-address-mac.html

Finally, go back on Parental Controls paste the i.p of the website (instead of the url) and it should work.

maenad

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
I have this problem too. I live in Turkey and the problem - coincidentally or not - suddenly appeared a couple of days after the government introduced censorship.

Could it be connected? What does "couldn't establish a secure connection" actually mean?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.