Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
Hey All,

I just bought a new 900MHz iBook 12" and I noticed my hinge is crooked actually attached to the monitor crooked. It wasn't stopping me from closing it or anything, and I called the local Apple shop and they said no problem they'd fix it.

BUT...yesterday I bought my mother an iBook and low and behold, her hinge is crooked too!

Has anyone else noticed this? Just curious!

MacBoyX

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
Originally posted by yzedf
I am in the market for one... and I have not seen or heard of this. Can you post a picture???

Yzdef,

I can try when I get home to do so as I don't have my Digital Cam at work. It's not at all a major issue and I just checked my sister's brand new iBook (she picked it up at lunch) and her's is just fine, maybe a bad batch?

I'll keep you posted! By the way as a person who gave me good feed back when I was looking into the iBook, I gotta say GO FOR IT! I am in no way sad I got rid of my 15" PB 667 nor am I wishing I got a 12" PB!

I love my iBook!

MacBoyX

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
My new 900 is perfectly fine (except for the frequent failure to wake from sleep issue).

maraczc

macrumors member
May 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'm not sure if you mean what I think you mean, but when I close my lid the left side closes fully and the right side is almost half a centimetre from the top of the palm-rest. I would guess this means mine if crooked.

I am glad to hear that at least someone gets good service from Apple. My reseller (which has cheated me out of money before) would make some excuse like they always do. Like when my keyboard wouldn't pop up right they said that it's the new magnet system. Can you believe that such people exist?

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
If they exist, and you have been burned before, why do you continue to support them (buy more stuff)? They won't change unless they realize something is wrong.

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
Both the iBooks were bought from CompUSA, as a matter of fact ALL the Macs I ever had issues with came from CompUSA, they also blew me off about the hinge but I have a local "Apple Expert" shop who gives me no problems. I always bought from CompUSA because it was in Delaware and there was no tax but I am thinking tax be damned!

LOL.

MacBoyX

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
Hey all,

I thought I'd post again to bring this topic back up and tell you about my expereince at my local Apple store...

My hinge is crooked for sure...if you put a small level on the screen lip when open you can see it's off.

Also my lid does not close correctly from time to time (minor annoyance not nearly a major issue) and sometimes when I pull it out of my bag it pops open. Once it popped open and almost baked my iBook.

I took it with me to the Apple store when I help a friend buy another iBook and while he was getting it set up (they do all the updates if u buy AppleCare at the store) I was surfing at the Genius Bar and just for fun I asked the Genius about it and he said "Wow it is crooked, I never saw that before" and he offered me another iBook so he could send this one in to Apple.

He grabbed another book and much to my dismay...IT ALSO WAS CROOKED. He looked at the other 3 on display and they were also crooked.

He chose to send the new one in to Apple instead (much to my chagrin because my trackpad clicks a little too loud LOL).

Does anyone else with a 900MHz Combo Drive 12" have a crooked screen/hinge? I'd like to have some ammo before I go for a repair.

Thanks for listening!

MacBoyX

jtown

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Now I'm gonna have to check my new 800 12". :p The only fit/finish problem I'd noticed on mine was the battery. It doesn't sit perfectly flush but it didn't seem bad enough to really complain about.

Now that you mention it, tho, the cover latch hasn't caught every time. Kind of annoying to have to wait for it to sleep then wake before closing it again. Maybe it's not lined up right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.