Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Well, I've been on a bit of a spending hiataus, and now I need to liquidate non-essential items...like fast (oh, but the XM radio I got yesterday is GREAT). Anyhow, I had my iBook 900 (um, one of those brand new items) hooked up to my iBook, but decided to sell it. Heck I paid $500 for the radio last year and can get like $450 on eBay for it!!

So what is a good low profile (small) system with a sub that is great for iBooks? I've heard the Logitech 2.1 is great for $50, but it is kind of ugly. Also, will the headphone jack be adequate to power the Logitech's (or whatever your suggestion is)?

Thanks-
-breeze:cool:

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Well, they aren't low profile, but I have SoundSticks and an iSub dedicated to my iBook. Probably more than you want to spend, but worth the cash for the sound.

Dan

PS - I have a buddy who uses the Logitech with a new PowerBook, so I assume you will have no problem with the iBook.

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
#1: Stay away from anything Bose. Anyone who thinks Bose makes quality audio components has no idea what they're talking about.

#2: The soundsticks sound crappy, but maybe they're good for computer speakers... I donno.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Well, your Bose opinion is obviously that, your opinion. I have Bose and have compared to quite a few number of systems/speakers and have no complaints with them. So anyone can buy Bose if they so desire because they have great sound. Also, I'd like to see anything go up against my Bose system for DVD/HDTV enjoyment also considering size.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
It's pretty much a given in any audiophile community that Bose is overpriced. Their reputation is mostly because of good marketing.

I have nothing against owners of Bose, but to me, it was quite obvious they were overpriced. I listened to a few Bose systems and most of the time, they have very pronounced bass boost. While this makes speakers sound "full" (which many equate to "good"), I didn't like how it made the sound "dull."

Easiest and cheapest way to make speakers sound "good" is to emphasize base. It will overpower everything else so it will sound "loud."

Anyway, this is just my opinion, but a lot of audio critics (snobs, arguably) don't even bother with Bose for a reason.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by springscansing
#1: Stay away from anything Bose. Anyone who thinks Bose makes quality audio components has no idea what they're talking about.
i mostly agree with this. bose stuff sounds just fine in actuality, but it's way way overpriced. i have some bose shelf speakers hooked up to a receiver in my room, which is what i use for music. i would never have even considered buying them, but they were half off. they sound awesome for 50$ speakers, and terrible for 100$ speakers (which they were). the thing spring is most right on, though, is that you can get much better speakers for the same money from other companies.

those JBL creature speakers seem cool, if you like the style, and seem more space efficient than sound sticks.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
I've had both soundsticks and creatures. Soundticks were much better, but (obviously) less portable. Four little speakers per unit to 1 in the creatures....

How's that XM radio? I really want it, but I don't have the guts to pull the trigger.

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
Originally posted by Kid Red
Well, your Bose opinion is obviously that, your opinion. I have Bose and have compared to quite a few number of systems/speakers and have no complaints with them. So anyone can buy Bose if they so desire because they have great sound. Also, I'd like to see anything go up against my Bose system for DVD/HDTV enjoyment also considering size.

Well thats your opinion too!!!

my previous speaker was a bose one, with low basses which were kind of harshing and cracking when you turned on the sound too much...
But now, I have a Creative Inspire 6600 6.1 speakers and they give the coolest sounds I've ever heard... though its not a choice for a ibook..

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
You people all seriously need to go into a hi-fi shop sometime and listen to a good $1000 pair of loudspeakers. It will annihilate any Bose surround system ever made. Not that you can necessairly afford them, but you should just do it so you know to stop saying these Creative and Bose systems are any good really.

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
I had spent more than that 1000 dolars, but instead I plated and covered all my room with acoustic maker - sound disconducting material with a nice audigy 2 sound card and stands for the speakers and jacks and oxygen-free cables and etc...

I play flute for years, played a more bass instrument like clarinet and sax., so believe me, this is enough for me.. I do not think to upgrade this set until the cable-free (wireless) version releases...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The term "audiophile" is the last word I would use to describe myself, but from my limited experience with Bose speakers (my friend has them), they produce a lot of bass, but they don't sound particularly good.

Easiest and cheapest way to make speakers sound "good" is to emphasize base. It will overpower everything else so it will sound "loud."

How does one equate bass with sound quality? I see people my age (aged 22) with car stereos that produce heaps of bass, but that doesn't make the music sound better. For them, its a phallic substitute since they have a small weenis.

Go with the creatures.

You people all seriously need to go into a hi-fi shop sometime and listen to a good $1000 pair of loudspeakers. It will annihilate any Bose surround system ever made. Not that you can necessairly afford them, but you should just do it so you know to stop saying these Creative and Bose systems are any good really.

For that amount of money, would you expect any less?

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
uhhhhhhhhhhhhm. yeah. right. i have listened to sonus fabers on McIntosh amps. they sound pristine. out of my league. but you're making us out to be like the guy that sees a model in a magazine and decides that his girlfriend is therefore ugly. i know that bose is overpriced; i've said as much. so ar Jaguars. that doesn't make them bad. and creative systems are fine too. not everyone has to be an audiophile and go into debt to have a music system.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
I find it funny that people in a mac forum are calling some stuff overpriced... LoL, kinda ironic...

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
Originally posted by Shadowfax
uhhhhhhhhhhhhm. yeah. right. i have listened to sonus fabers on McIntosh amps. they sound pristine. out of my league. but you're making us out to be like the guy that sees a model in a magazine and decides that his girlfriend is therefore ugly. i know that bose is overpriced; i've said as much. so ar Jaguars. that doesn't make them bad. and creative systems are fine too. not everyone has to be an audiophile and go into debt to have a music system.

Totally agree with you!..

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Originally posted by toughboy
what does audiophile means??

do you mean listening the song and playing it?
or telling the names of the notes which you heard?

Heh, it means someone who is obsessed with audio equipment. Most audiophiles have at least $10,000 in audio reproduction gear.

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
I find it funny that people in a mac forum are calling some stuff overpriced... LoL, kinda ironic...

you are probably a youngster, who wouldnt know whats worth for what, arent you??..

I cannot see any reason to price something a little more if what you are pricing is not an only a beige box which will go out-of-date soon and have no meaning..

and as I can see, you are intrested with iPods.. answer this by yourself, "is iPod overpriced?!"

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Clearly... what a youngster...

What the hell are you talking about man? Apparently you're the youngster. You do not remember the Gil Amelio days where a mac was $5000 bucks.

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
Heh, it means someone who is obsessed with audio equipment. Most audiophiles have at least $10,000 in audio reproduction gear.

oh!.. so you dont have the talent but love to spend money, dont you? :D

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Originally posted by toughboy
oh!.. so you dont have the talent but love to spend money, dont you? :D

[edited] It has nothing to do with talent. It has to do with listening to recordings.

As for me, the only pair of audio reproduction gear I have is a pair of AKG 270 monitoring headphones for mixing. You know.. because I have talent.

[mod. edit - You know better than than that.]

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
Clearly... what a youngster...

What the hell are you talking about man? Apparently you're the youngster. You do not remember the Gil Amelio days where a mac was $5000 bucks.

:) those were the days that people did not have computers everywhere, and being a comp. engineer meant to be a dumb or a genius depending on the person..

I dont want to discuss, the theme was not how much we spent money on what, or how audiophile we were, I recommend that buddy to buy a digital decoder and buy a creative inspire..
you may recommend your 1000 bucks system too, I hope he'll buy one... :p

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
It's funny how the following threads have deviated from the original post of "what are good speakers for an ibook?"
I suggest you visit your local compusa and listen to the speaker setups there and judge for yourself depending on how much you are willing to spend. I find it ludicrous to even think of spending several thousand $$'s on loud speakers and a home theatre sub merely to hook it up to an ibook. C'mon people, stick with the original thread to begin with rather than trying to sound like you know what you are talking about. I'm trying to understand how some of these threads are supposed to help the creator. Not to be rude, but it all sounds blah blah blah.

-I'd recommend Klipsch's Promedia line, pref the 2.1. I have yet to hear a computer setup(as well as a comparably priced home theatre setup) rival them.

-Dual 1Ghz MDD, 2GB Ram, 240GB HD, Superdrive/Combodrive, Nvidia Geforce4Ti 4600, Apple 17" LCD, Klipsch Promedia 4.2, 2 Klipsch SWS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.