Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irbdavid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
Hi all.

After having some issues with my ISP and their 'fair usage' policy, which we won't go into, I'm looking for ways to monitor the amount of bandwidth I consume, and I've noticed that the networks tab in Activity Monitor does just this, showing data received and sent cumulatively as well as per second.

This would be all good if there was some way to determine when the period it's counting from started, and have some way of manually resetting it.

Any ideas, and failing that does anyone know of any good free/donationware utils that will sit in my menubar to do this sort of thing?

Cheers,

Dave

Edit - Just occurred to me that a utility that would do a good job of this would need to differentiate between local traffic across my network from computer to computer, and traffic out into the interblags via my router... Getting complicated.

banjomamo

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
USA
istatpro is a widget that lets you monitor various things like network traffic and other system operations. its free and you can get it on apples site. i dont believe ive ever seen one that can show a difference between local and external traffic though. youd probably have to monitor that in a router instead of your computer.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Well at work what we have is a free m0n0wall setup which is a great firewall. It will run on any PC hardware. We have it on a 600 mhz but i know people who run it on 133s and 233s. Then you set up STMP to send it too another box which collects it we use wallwatcher. but that is a PC program. Maybe this is too advanced? Then in wallwatcher it keeps logs until you delete them in a nice graph. So I can tell i want to view last week wednesdays usage and it shows it. OR view this months usage etc. But that is probably too advanced....:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.