PDA

View Full Version : What's the view from your computer desk?

billyboy
May 29, 2003, 03:58 PM
Two reasons I like being on a computer. One. I have a Powerbook Ti, and second, at any time of day I just look out over the terracotta rooftops to that "little hill" in the background and think, yep, this is a good spot to be working.

MrMacMan
May 29, 2003, 05:26 PM
I can see out my window which shows the part across the screet, my local (small) shopping area and uh, my computer.

kiwi_the_iwik
May 29, 2003, 05:53 PM
My wall and an LCD monitor.

There's nothing like being inspired...

:rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2003, 06:06 PM
Ah, actually this is a cool thread, I'll have my camera with me tomorrow and post a pic....

So where are you looking towards in that shot?

D

macguymike
May 29, 2003, 06:23 PM
From my desk I can see the 17-inch PowerBook, eMac, 17-inch iMac and the windows that make up the store-front which are plastered with Apple posters for the .Mac and Macromedia promos.

If I turn my chair to the right, I can see my Apple Product Pro certificate and an Apple "Think Different" poster with Alfred Hitchcock. If I turn a bit to the left, I can see the 12-inch PowerBook and the PowerMac G4 next to the 23-inch Cinema Display. :)

This is at work, of course. My view from home is pretty much just my wall and the random things I have hanging on it. This is above the hutch anyway.. the hutch has all my games, my printer, some CDs and my the monitor for my *gasp* Dell tower. :D :rolleyes:

King Cobra
May 29, 2003, 06:48 PM
Less than a foot above my hairline is the slanted, attic ceiling.

About 2 feet to my left is where the ceiling meets the well.

In front and around me are open shelves, just barely large enough to fit my computer setup.

At a 60 degree angle to my right is the window. It's a view of the roof of the house, the entrance to our small parking lot, a wall of small trees, and part of the road.

billyboy
May 29, 2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Ah, actually this is a cool thread, I'll have my camera with me tomorrow and post a pic....

So where are you looking towards in that shot?

D

The rooftops are in the the north end of the town of Bejar, which is about 180kms due west of Madrid. There is a horrible long uphill drag from Bejar that goes past the "hill" towards Salamanca. We are at 3000 feet in the town, and to the right of the hill and out of the picture is the legendary La Covertilla - a small-time ski resort, but better known as a killer 6 mile/3000 feet hill climb in la Vuelta de Espana road bike race. Depite experiencing the worst winter in memory followed by the highest pollen count imaginable, this is heaven.

One of my students is a high brow computer programer, and he has a similar view to mine from his office. He should be working in Madrid, but he has proven to his bosses that he is the most productive programmer in the company and so he is allowed to work in his home town.

tazo
May 29, 2003, 11:03 PM
Cut outs of mac pictures, a big 'flavors imac' poster, and a bag from the Bellevue apple store. and also a poster I made, that says, "every shot you don't take you can't make".

P-Worm
May 29, 2003, 11:19 PM
What can I see? Two things.

My Mac
And a lot of garbage

P-Worm

jefhatfield
May 29, 2003, 11:24 PM
only one computer desk that i remember had a view...the first mountain on the big sur coast where a ranch was, in northern california...quite a nice view (the computer was my ibook, mac clone, pc laptop, or pc desktop)

now i look at a wood paneled wall and i use the laptops

before that, i looked into a white plaster wall while using a performa, apple II+, or apple IIe at my parent's house

i really never thought about having a view behind my computer because when i use the machine, i am concentrated on working on something...or on being on macrumors;)

Tequila Grandma
May 30, 2003, 03:41 AM
A few months ago, on another forum, I attempted to start up a similar thread. Anyway, for that occasion (a few months ago), I decided to make this run-down of my posting area at my mother's house (I apologize in advance for the crappy lighting, etc.):
http://homepage.mac.com/soggybagel/.Pictures/compu2.jpg

This, of course, would be the view from my posting spot during the night:
http://homepage.mac.com/soggybagel/.Pictures/compu4.jpg

During the day, I can look out that window and see my mother's fantastic garden. Unfortunately, the only picture I have of the view was taken a couple months ago during that ever-so-delightful snowstorm:
http://homepage.mac.com/soggybagel/.Pictures/snowy/houseback5.jpg

Wheeeeeeeee! Pictures are fun! http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/banana.gif

Arigato,
Brook

ozubahn
May 30, 2003, 05:00 AM
I can see my big ugly Dell and its big ugly CRT (and my TiBook, when I bring it with me), my coffee mug, my Edward Gorey desk calendar, and the wall. I am surrounded by piles of the sort of junk that accumulates in the corners of research labs (I work in the corner of a research lab). Other than that, there's not much to look at. However, if I climb up two stories on a clear day, I can see Mt. Fuji. :)

iGav
May 30, 2003, 05:05 AM
A f-in wall.... :(

Zenith
May 30, 2003, 06:23 AM
This is a panoramic picture (made from three seperate pictures of different angles) of my view outside my room at home - where I'm currently working.

Edit: I didn't find the original picture so I had to upload a crappy version with some kind of ugly photoframe effect on it... :p

hvfsl
May 30, 2003, 08:01 AM
I can just see other peoples gardens outside my window and of course my Macs/PCs.

Wardofsky
May 30, 2003, 08:14 AM
I'll take a pic tomorrow outside my window in the room I'm in but from my desk it's just this:

By the way I'm kidding and that's the worst case of lens flare I've ever encountered, sorry 'bout it.

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2003, 08:24 AM
I've got a view through the door and another office looking out over Georgetown and VA, but mostly I'm just looking at my computers....lights out too, the lighting sucks and I have a couple cool lamps for lower lighting...:D

D

mrjamin
May 30, 2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by P-Worm
What can I see? Two things.

My Mac
And a lot of garbage

P-Worm

ditto - i bet i've got more crap round mine than you've got round yours - i'll take a pic and upload later on

mrjamin
May 30, 2003, 08:34 AM
What can i say? I'm a skank - they don't call me SkankyStudent for nothing!

edit: sorry it's a pc, the view from behind my iBook varies!

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by mrjamin

is that an ashtry to the left of the keyboard?

mrjamin
May 30, 2003, 08:38 AM
is that an ashtry to the left of the keyboard?

yup and it needs emtying

*leaves comp for a sec to emtpy the ashtray*

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2003, 08:45 AM
yup and it needs emtying

*leaves comp for a sec to emtpy the ashtray*

that's just nasty....ugh.

but I'm not a smoker, never was and never will be

And I always thought that smoking around a computer wasn't the best thing? (for the computer, I mean ;) )

D

mrjamin
May 30, 2003, 08:50 AM
that's just nasty....ugh.

but I'm not a smoker, never was and never will be

And I always thought that smoking around a computer wasn't the best thing? (for the computer, I mean ;) )

D

No its not the nicest thing in the world - i hate myself for being a smoker but it's VERY hard to give up, especially in the middle of exams! I started when i was 12 - stupidest mistake of my life.

As for damaging the computer; it doesn't really make any difference if your casefans are blowing out of the case, as opposed to sucking in.

Foxer
May 30, 2003, 09:53 AM
Straight ahead: Nothing.

To the Left: Framed, autographed Ted Willimas picture.

To the Right: The various Enterprises from Star Trek and the ceiling-window out into our garden.

I'm a man of varied tastes.

I'll post pictures when I get home.

billyboy
May 30, 2003, 09:57 AM

edit: sorry it's a pc, the view from behind my iBook varies!

Wow, that is one cluttered desk. Do you use the keyboard with your arms either side of the guitar and your legs out at right angles?

wdlove
May 30, 2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Tequila Grandma
A few months ago, on another forum, I attempted to start up a similar thread. Anyway, for that occasion (a few months ago), I decided to make this run-down of my posting area at my mother's house (I apologize in advance for the crappy lighting, etc.):
http://homepage.mac.com/soggybagel/.Pictures/compu2.jpg

This, of course, would be the view from my posting spot during the night:
http://homepage.mac.com/soggybagel/.Pictures/compu4.jpg

During the day, I can look out that window and see my mother's fantastic garden. Unfortunately, the only picture I have of the view was taken a couple months ago during that ever-so-delightful snowstorm:
http://homepage.mac.com/soggybagel/.Pictures/snowy/houseback5.jpg

Wheeeeeeeee! Pictures are fun! http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/banana.gif

Arigato,

Brook

Thank you for the winter scene, it has me dreaming fo winter again. It's such a beautiful scene. I can remember this past winter fondly! :)

I can look out my window at a view across the street of flowers, shrubbs and trees! :)

jefhatfield
May 30, 2003, 04:14 PM
I've got a view through the door and another office looking out over Georgetown and VA, but mostly I'm just looking at my computers....lights out too, the lighting sucks and I have a couple cool lamps for lower lighting...:D

D

hey, you seem to have a desktop with a decent lcd, and of course, a tibook

that is what i would go for for my ultimate setup...tibook and some desktop (pc or mac or both, with an lcd monitor)...i guess if i had that, that's all i would need

since i am a pc tech, i need to have the windows thing going to stay on top of things...but if i did anything else for a living, i would be mac on laptops and mac on desktops and be joyfully unaware of what comings and goings happened in the world of windows ;)

scem0
May 30, 2003, 04:42 PM
my view is myself! :)

There is a mirror in front of my computer.... and a closet..... and a wall...... :(

MontanaMacster
May 30, 2003, 05:10 PM
My Backyard

P-Worm
May 30, 2003, 05:37 PM
Mrjamin, you have me beat hands down. I'm not even going to post a picture of mine because it is almost nothing compared to yours. I admire your supreme geekness. :)

P-Worm

mrjamin
May 30, 2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by P-Worm
Mrjamin, you have me beat hands down. I'm not even going to post a picture of mine because it is almost nothing compared to yours. I admire your supreme geekness. :)

P-Worm

Thanks P, i'm flattered. Actually, since seeing my skankdom in digital format, i decided to tidy up - i'm getting there! will post a new shot in the morning ;)

DakotaGuy
May 30, 2003, 06:16 PM
Here is what I see when I sit at my iMac. Just small town USA, nothing really special. My town is FULL of trees. I live in the Missouri River Valley, South Eastern SD.

senseibiz
May 31, 2003, 02:07 AM
Basically, two walls....

caveman_uk
May 31, 2003, 04:53 AM
Well here's the view from my desk. Houses, trees and sky. The room itself is about 6 inches wider than what you see in the picture:(

wrc fan
Jun 5, 2003, 04:51 AM
This is what it used to look like when I was still living in the Queen Anne area of Seattle (Winter 2002).

http://homepage.mac.com/havepenwillwrite/seattle/small.jpg

Now I just have a wall with a picture of Seattle, and a map of Italy.

zoetropeuk
Jun 5, 2003, 06:05 AM
I took this photo about 5 minutes ago. Its been nice and sunny lately, for a change.

mrjamin
Jun 5, 2003, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by senseibiz
Basically, two walls....

is that two ipods??? thats just greedy!

wdlove
Jun 5, 2003, 02:08 PM

That's a his and her iPod collection, or significant other!

That is beautiful, zoetropeuk!
;)

jethroted
Jun 5, 2003, 02:33 PM
This what my office looks like. I think I win the prize for ugliest office space. Look at those holes in the walls! No windows, and a bad smell of printing chemicals. Why do I put up with this?

jethroted
Jun 5, 2003, 02:35 PM
I guess I should put a picture in there too. woops!

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2003, 03:13 PM
jethroted - that looks like an old beige PowerMacG3, but the monitor says Windows - what gives?

Also, you need to put something - any thing on your walls....add a little character to them.

D

jethroted
Jun 5, 2003, 03:28 PM
jethroted - that looks like an old beige PowerMacG3, but the monitor says Windows - what gives?

Also, you need to put something - any thing on your walls....add a little character to them.

D

What? I though all macs could run Windows on them? No just kidding. I share that monitor with two computers to save space. I have a little switch box to go between the two. The reason I have not bothered to put anything up is because I didn't plan on staying here very long. While that did not happen, I am determined that It will only be a little bit longer, so why bother?

wdlove
Jun 5, 2003, 08:00 PM
Still a picture or two would just make your space so much brighter, jethroted! Your B-Day is a joke? If 9/11 you do have quite a memorable day!

mrjamin
Jun 5, 2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
That is beautiful, zoetropeuk!
;)

ah, the beautiful scenary of oxfordshire. I'm in Reading so just down the road - i quite frequently pop up to henley for a day (oh rather).

I'm originally from Sussex - man, bits of sussex are full on beautiful in places!

donigian
Jun 5, 2003, 08:43 PM
wdlove: only quote what needs to be quoted, leave the rest out. It's pointless and annoying; you could also simply write the person's name and a colon (:) or dash (-) followed by your message to show who you're talking to. Everyone will appreciate that, thanks.

And, to add to the list of views from the old 'puter. I face out the side of my house over the rooftops of my neighbors facing into the heart of East Nashville. Great view for watching police helicopters circle while looking for suspects. :/

To my sides are many Apple posters: Original iMac introduction from MWNY 1998, the G4 iMac introduction from MWSF 2002, the iMac "Yum" poster, the iBook "Your life. To go.," the 17" AlBook poster "Now you see it. Now you don't.," the "Year of the Notebook" 2003 poster, the new iPod introduction poster 2003. (I've got more in the closet, anyone wanna sell me some?)

*edit* A helicopter is circling right now...murderer, burglar, thief, ... I wonder if I know them and what they did. *edit*

jethroted
Jun 5, 2003, 08:50 PM
Still a picture or two would just make your space so much brighter, jethroted! Your B-Day is a joke? If 9/11 you do have quite a memorable day!

I'm not going to bother, I am determined that I will be leaving soon. As for my birthday, I think it's obvious I wasn't born on Sept. 11 2001. Unless I have been given some monster growth hormones to make me a 25 year old guy in less than 2 years. Wait, did that happen? Uh, no that was someone else. ;)

wdlove
Jun 5, 2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by donigian
wdlove: only quote what needs to be quoted, leave the rest out. It's pointless and annoying; you could also simply write the person's name and a colon (:) or dash (-) followed by your message to show who you're talking to. Everyone will appreciate that, thanks.

I'm not sure why you are being so critical. Why is it that you are choosing to picking me in particular. You should try to take a slow deep breath and chill!

jethroted
Jun 5, 2003, 08:53 PM
I'm not sure why you are being so critical. Why is it that you are choosing to picking me in particular. You should try to take a slow deep breath and chill!

I concur. There is nothing wrong with quoting the entirety of what someone has said. It goes on thousands of time a day. No one else says anything. Relax.

donigian
Jun 5, 2003, 08:53 PM

It's nothing personal, just something that irks me and I was trying to point it out to you so you'd be aware of it. Also, 56k'ers would have had a hard time viewing the page with those images repeated. But I'm sorry if I offended you. My message about picking out specific points of quotes out goes to everyone, not you in particular. Please don't be offended, I appologize.

jethroted, just because it happens all the time doesn't make it okay and I've seen the problem pointed out on other threads by other people. Let's just stop making it an issue though.

wdlove
Jun 6, 2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by donigian
But I'm sorry if I offended you. Please don't be offended, I appologize. Let's just stop making it an issue though.

I accept you apology. ;) In your opinion is using 2 or 3 sentences OK?

marcsiry
Jun 6, 2003, 04:27 PM
I live in a New York City tenement apartment, so of course the view out my window is... another New York City tenement apartment :-)

That is... if my BIG FAT CAT doesn't get in the way (he's big enough to block a 23" Cinema Display!).

mrjamin
Jun 6, 2003, 06:05 PM
apologies for not posting a pic of my new, clean desk! My housemate (who has the digital camera) decided to go to sweden for a couple of weeks. Quite why, i'm not sure. me and the rest of my housemates think its something to do with a girl, hmmm......

wdlove
Jun 6, 2003, 06:23 PM
marcsiry, I'm soooo jealous of your 23" Cinema Display. Does it live up to its reputation? I'm impressed by your apartment also!

e-coli
Jun 6, 2003, 06:43 PM
and not of the insect variety, either. ;)

mrjamin
Jun 6, 2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by e-coli
and not of the insect variety, either. ;)

lol - not any more there ain't

Just realised my debit card is sitting on my keyboard - i hope you can't read the card number!

senseibiz
Jun 6, 2003, 06:54 PM

Just to inform you. wdlove is right.

One of the ipods I purchased for my wife, and the other one is mine.

wdlove
Jun 6, 2003, 07:23 PM
Thank you for the reply senseibiz! Do you both share the same songs on your iPod's? What are your differences in choice of songs?

marcsiry
Jun 6, 2003, 09:10 PM
wdlove:

The Cinema Display was super expensive, but SOOO WORTH IT!

I sit in front of the screen 14+ hours a day. I figured I might as well have the nicest screen I could (barely) afford!

Prior to this, I had 2 17" Apple Studio Displays... although I had more pixels with that setup, you can't beat the unbroken expanse of space with the HD!

I consider this the best computer purchase I ever made- followed closely by my TiBook.

It's even better now that the ycut the price NEARLY IN HALF!!! That said, I've looked at the 20" at the apple store, and it seems even brighter and sharper than this display! Definitely a good purchase if you want a flat panel.

I lucked out on the apartment- it's nice- but it'sso expensive all my furniture had to come from Ikea :-)

senseibiz
Jun 6, 2003, 10:12 PM
Thank you for the reply senseibiz! Do you both share the same songs on your iPod's? What are your differences in choice of songs?

you are welcome...
We both set our ipods to download all the songs and playlists.
we have about 4000 songs, 25 playlist.

Huked on Fonick
Jun 6, 2003, 10:23 PM
Note i did not take this picture generly what i see from my window(my window is father back so i see more stuff likes trees etc and i see all the rocks formations behind it in the distance but this is the best picture i could find depicting it...

pEZ
Jun 6, 2003, 10:46 PM
To my right: stairs
To the front: wall and second level.
To the back: door
To my left: guitar, couch, tv, lamp, bookcase

It's a much different view in my dorm in Madison. Like I have my bunny poster. And my trainspotting poster. And a ton of printed Real Life (http://www.reallifecomics.com) comics. And my bed.

And no, the bunny poster has NOTHING to do with Playboy, it's this thing my friend painted for me.

BaghdadBob
Jun 6, 2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by jethroted
I guess I should put a picture in there too. woops!
Jeepers, that's the view from your desk? Who's the dorky lookin' guy sitting across from you? ;)

BaghdadBob
Jun 7, 2003, 12:30 AM
Here's my pic...it's still a little messy around here. I like being up against the wall and being able to see the door, but too much space on my right right now. When I construct a new desk out of rackage I think I'll be more in the corner.

Peace of mind is essential to creative energy... And note the hot phone sex with Eminem ad on TV.

janey
Jun 7, 2003, 12:47 AM
right behind the computer: a wall
right behind the display and next to the tower: my phone (extremely smart place to put a 2.4ghz phone: right next to the airport base which is on top of the tower)
to my left: wall with a 17" PowerBook poster
to my right: trash can containing the contents of my backpack-including books and binders-and a bean bag chair right next to it.
right behind me: a whole bunch of boxes.
Near those boxes is my bed, which is what my powerbook is on right now. My iBook is currently in my trash can :p it's a real piece of cr4p.
AND most importantly of all, the voodoo doll of my english teacher :p
i still regret the fact that i didn't want the aeron chair while my mom was still willing to get it :( it would make my room so much nicer

e-coli
Jun 7, 2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Huked on Fonick
Note i did not take this picture generly what i see from my window(my window is father back so i see more stuff likes trees etc and i see all the rocks formations behind it in the distance but this is the best picture i could find depicting it...

I'm guessing you live in / around Flagstaff. Absolutely beautiful country. I've always thought Arizona to be one of the most spectacular places in North America. :)

nice pic.

wrc fan
Jun 7, 2003, 01:35 AM
since people seem to be talking about more than just the view out their window, here's a picture of the wall behind my desk:

irmongoose
Jun 7, 2003, 09:03 AM
Just got our house (apartment) renovated, made everything white (I was especially happy as it perfectly matches with my iMac)... anyways, I live on a hill so I get a pretty good view of the distant Tokyo, but as you can see there is construction going on right in front, apparantly a new apartment building... I'm scared that I'm gonna lose this view! GAH!

irmongoose

jethroted
Jun 9, 2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by BaghdadBob
Jeepers, that's the view from your desk? Who's the dorky lookin' guy sitting across from you? ;)

Yeah, that's it. Laugh it up guys! Come on, Laugh it up! :D

cubist
Jun 9, 2003, 04:41 PM
... As for damaging the computer; it doesn't really make any difference if your casefans are blowing out of the case, as opposed to sucking in.

Actually, that's incorrect. If the case fan is blowing out, air enters the computer through case slots and the optical drive. These are not good places for smoke dust and tar to accumulate. Better your fans should be blowing into the case, and you attach washable filters to the outside - like the Xserve and most other server machines have.

wdlove
Jun 9, 2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by oaklandbum
since people seem to be talking about more than just the view out their window, here's a picture of the wall behind my desk:

I really like all of your nice posters oaklandbum. It's a very nice collection. Where did you obtain your collection?

wrc fan
Jun 9, 2003, 06:29 PM
I really like all of your nice posters oaklandbum. It's a very nice collection. Where did you obtain your collection?

My friend works at CompUSA in the Apple section, well he worked at CompUSA, now he starts work at a new Apple store in a month. So he always keeps the posters that they are done using, as well as the long banners.

jefhatfield
Jun 9, 2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by oaklandbum
My friend works at CompUSA in the Apple section, well he worked at CompUSA, now he starts work at a new Apple store in a month. So he always keeps the posters that they are done using, as well as the long banners.

i have a couple i got from elite computers in cupertino, ca...collect all five (imacs) and another one of a blue and white g3

the one i like the most is the bondi 233 imac and there is this one store near me that still has it on the wall...they probably won't part with that one

i also like the extra large lifesize banner one of mini me and yao ming, both with powerbooks:p

wrc fan
Jun 9, 2003, 08:31 PM
The one poster I've always wanted (but my friend didn't work at CompUSA back then) is an Alfred Hitchcock Think Different Poster. I had that as the background of my computer for about 3 years straight. I still hope to get it some day.

wdlove
Jun 9, 2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
i also like the extra large lifesize banner one of mini me and yao ming, both with powerbooks:p

I would love to get one of those myself!

mrjamin
Jun 13, 2003, 09:38 AM
deleted

mrjamin
Jun 13, 2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Huked on Fonick

wow, i'd love to know where abouts your shoe is located!