PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Spymac

MacFan25
May 29, 2003, 06:21 PM
What do you think of Spymac? Do you like it?

I don't go to the site very often. Maybe only once every couple of weeks. I don't have an account there, and I don't really plan on getting one.

I'll stick to MacRumors! :D

Dont Hurt Me
May 29, 2003, 06:36 PM
i check it out and its pretty good but i wish they would post those 970 pictures again of the metal mac! I think apple got after them but to late i had seen a front view. Silver is In (quicksilver must have started this)

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
i check it out and its pretty good but i wish they would post those 970 pictures again of the metal mac! I think apple got after them but to late i had seen a front view. Silver is In (quicksilver must have started this)

What!!! I never heard about that - and you didn't save the image to your computer?!?!?!

gahck....

Anyway, SpyMac is not MacRumors. Its got its own community and they're happy. Its a nice site and I visit once a month or so.....but MacRumors is home for me :D

Anyone got that pic uploaded from SpyMac, send me a copy!!

D

Dont Hurt Me
May 29, 2003, 08:03 PM
yeah i would like one to, what it was was a contest with different pictures of what the next mac would look like, well one of the photos was it from the front view. I have been looking for these photos but been unable to find anymore. Apple went after a couple of sites if iam not mistaken.

scem0
May 30, 2003, 01:56 AM
SpyMac has improved a lot in the last year. I like their picture galleries, but after looking at an argument between some members about homosexuality, I decided MR members are generally more mature, and offer more constructive input to touchy issues like sexuality (and non-touchy issues for that matter).

trebblekicked
May 30, 2003, 02:06 AM
the galleries are the one interesting thing about spymac. the discussions are secondary, from what i can tell.

one thing i hate about the site is that people rate their own photoshops, and more often than not, people give everything five stars, or whatever. just a little thing, but it really bugs meLike this (http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=31811&papass=&sort=1&thecat=502)

AtariST
May 30, 2003, 02:39 AM
I think it's a great site, but I suppose I'm a bit biased since I help run the place.

I've been wanting to register here for awhile and thought that this would be a good opportunity.

Anyway, you guys are right -- Spymac is no MacRumors. Both sites have been heading in different directions and they appeal to different audiences.

alset
May 30, 2003, 02:57 AM
No offense to AtariST, but I strongly dislike the SpyMac community. The site is nicely designed, and I see that it has great appeal to a large audience, but I don't care for the members.

I think the SpyMac crowd is often immature. Every time I look through the threads, it seems as if everyone is in high school. I have no issues with the younger members on MR (or any other site), as I usually can't tell how old anyone is unless they drop clues or say so outright. To me, this accurately demonstrates the level of maturity that most MR members display. I think of most members of MR as the type of guests I like to have into my home: probably the kind of people that would notice the coasters on the table and set their drink on one (I usually have to request that people use one). Common sense, you know?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong on this one, but didn't SpyMac sponsor an iTunes sharing list? I might be thinking of another site, but I am strongly opposed to users exploiting what I considered a great feature.

I'm sure there are lots of outstanding people at SpyMac. I just find them few and far between.

My 72 cents.

Dan

AtariST
May 30, 2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by alset
No offense to AtariST, but I strongly dislike the SpyMac community. The site is nicely designed, and I see that it has great appeal to a large audience, but I don't care for the members.

No offense taken, I appreciate your input.
I think the SpyMac crowd is often immature. Every time I look through the threads, it seems as if everyone is in high school.
Spymac members are definitely a mixed crowd when it comes to maturity levels.
Also, correct me if I'm wrong on this one, but didn't SpyMac sponsor an iTunes sharing list? I might be thinking of another site, but I am strongly opposed to users exploiting what I considered a great feature.
Yes we did. Members were requesting such a service so we thought we would give it a try. On the other hand, as soon as it became apparent that the service was being used for piracy, we removed the section right away.
I'm sure there are lots of outstanding people at SpyMac. I just find them few and far between.
Thanks again for your comments and observations.

Wardofsky
May 30, 2003, 05:56 AM
A few people I have encountered there have been real die hards.

I don't like the rules that apply to their forums, you can have oversized avatars as soon as you sign up.

It does have a few features like e-mail, image post up and so on.

But my roots go down deep to MacRumors (kinda), I like the community here but I'd like to see some more Melbournians. :D

arn
May 30, 2003, 06:25 AM
Hey...

Hi AtariST... welcome... :)

I guess one observation should be that it really doesn't have to be an either/or mentality...

I think there are many people who visit both sites, and enjoy both sites.

And I believe there are varying degrees of maturity on both sites... :)

arn

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by arn
And I believe there are varying degrees of maturity on both sites... :)

Ha, well, that's for sure. MacRumors has had its moments....and we're not competing with SpyMac either.

Personally I think both sites compliment each other and provide resources to the Mac community as a whole.

D :D

iGav
May 30, 2003, 08:31 AM
Can't say I ever really venture to any other Mac sites other than here and Apple... occasionally Macworld.co.uk for more localised info...

Doesn't make Spymac or any of the other Mac sites less relevant... it's just that Macrumors fits me like your favourite pair of slippers, whilst sat in your favourite comfy chair, with a chilled Strongbow in ones hand, whilst looking at the sunset on the horizon and watching the stars come out to play.... :p :p :p

PowerBook User
Jun 1, 2003, 02:11 AM
I think both sites are good. They complement each other. I really like the forums here, though. I just registered here so I can participate, too!

sparkleytone
Jun 1, 2003, 01:13 PM
As much as I am not a fan of SpyMac, I have definitely gained more respect for the people who run it. AtariST was very diplomatic about the criticism and showed some healthy confidence in even joining to reply to this thread. Kudos to you :D

MacFan25
Jun 1, 2003, 01:36 PM
I think that spymac is a nice site, and it probably takes a lot of time to run and maintain it. It's just that my home is MacRumors. :D

I was browsing through spymac the other day and I found the longest thread ever (http://www.spymac.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2292&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) . It seems to just be a bunch of spam. macrumors has had some spam, like most of the geek thread :D, but it wasnt 1300 pages long. :D

Wes
Jun 1, 2003, 01:57 PM
First of all AtariST gets my praise for answering so those questions without getting annoyed. I joke about Spymac, but truth is, I go there to look at the galleries, on the main page there is usually some pretty cool stuff worth checking out. After I have checked my mail, macrumors, I usually head over there to browse a little.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 1, 2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by MacFan25
I was browsing through spymac the other day and I found the longest thread ever (http://www.spymac.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2292&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) . It seems to just be a bunch of spam.

Spymac and MacRumors have a different tolerance for spam. And there's nothing wrong with that. And in general their members post more often - but its not all spam and the galleries have some very cool stuff.

I've even submitted a few images over there :D

D

scem0
Jun 1, 2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by AtariST
No offense taken, I appreciate your input.

Spymac members are definitely a mixed crowd when it comes to maturity levels.

Yes we did. Members were requesting such a service so we thought we would give it a try. On the other hand, as soon as it became apparent that the service was being used for piracy, we removed the section right away.

Thanks again for your comments and observations.

THis post definitely proves that there are 2 ends to the spymac spectrum of users. ;)

bennetsaysargh
Jun 1, 2003, 02:52 PM
i joined, but i could never logged in. oh well. looking at the pictures is all I do.

tazo
Jun 2, 2003, 08:59 AM

I don't go to the site very often. Maybe only once every couple of weeks. I don't have an account there, and I don't really plan on getting one.

i am registered there, but have only posted like twice.

gotohamish
Jun 2, 2003, 02:49 PM

It's okay, fun to look at once in a while, and there are some cool pictures.

Having said that, they're still not fit to clean Arn's shoes yet...

Actually, no "yet" about it.

Datazoid
Jun 2, 2003, 03:33 PM
I'm not a zealot; I'm registered at both sites. The evolution of the site is interesting, they (to me) really aren't a rumor site anymore. The front page is usually graced with some piece of random news, every so often (once a month or so) a rumor pops up. It's mostly become about the galleries and the "community", which is quite "varied" and "passionate", and they have some interesting (and heated) discussions. All in all, I prefer MacRumors (and the only site that I regularly browse the forums), but I have nothing against SpyMac, and I visit both on a regular basis.

deryk
Jun 2, 2003, 04:03 PM
I find macrumors and spymac to be valuable for differing reasons.

I thoroughly enjoy the rumors and community here at macrumors. I have never even looked at the forums on spymac and do not plan on do so. I just don't have the time. Macrumors satisfies my need for mac rumors and mac community needs.

What I like about spymac is their picture galleries. I'm currently sporting a blue jaguar pic on my desktop that I downloaded from there. Almost all of my desktops have come from the talent on that site.