Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wangchunggti337

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
I am wanting to buy a DVD player system on eBay, but the description says it does not play DVDs or CDs. I realize this could be due to many reasons, but is this a very bad sign or is there possibly an easy fix?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I am wanting to buy a DVD player system on eBay, but the description says it does not play DVDs or CDs. I realize this could be due to many reasons, but is this a very bad sign or is there possibly an easy fix?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers.

Why not go buy a new one You can get them for around $30 here in the US

wangchunggti337

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
I realize I can buy a DVD player for cheap, but the reason I want this one is because it matches with my TV and speakers it comes with. Also, it upscales and has USB input. I was just wondering if this was a major problem.

grinnelljd

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
MA
Blown IC

I just opened the case of a nearly new DVD player that my brother got for free because it wasn't working.

I discovered that an integrated circuit chip on the power supply board had blown. I was hoping it was going to be a simple fuse. By the time I track down and buy a replacement IC (and pay for shipping) I'd probably be halfway to the cost of a new player. Given that I haven't even held a soldering iron in years I would likely need to buy two chips just in case.

If you know your way around a circuit board you may be able to bring the player you are interested in back to life. Not playing CD's or DVD's could potentially be a simple mechanical issue.

Without having more info regarding the issue I wouldn't bid.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I realize I can buy a DVD player for cheap, but the reason I want this one is because it matches with my TV and speakers it comes with. Also, it upscales and has USB input. I was just wondering if this was a major problem.

I figure a DVD player that wont play a DVD has a major problem. What kind of DVD player is it?

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
>>How hard is it to fix a DVD player that doesn't play?<<

You're kidding with this question ... right?

How good are you at diagnossing and repairing problems in consumer electronic gear? Answer that and you'll have answered your first question.

-DH

wangchunggti337

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Yes, I realize it's a pretty broad question, but perhaps there is a common problem among DVD players. It's a Samsung ht-q100. My brother just fixed a DVD player by opening it up and plugging in something that had been loose.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers.

wangchunggti337

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
yeah, I wish I had more info, but like a lot of items on eBay, there is little said in the description.

Worth buying or stay away? for 100bucks?

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
yeah, I wish I had more info, but like a lot of items on eBay, there is little said in the description.

Worth buying or stay away? for 100bucks?

For $100! Stay away. How much does it cost new? $100 seems like a pretty big bet to make.

EDIT: just looked it up online. This isn't just a dvd player... it seems to be one of those home theater systems in a box with a dvd player and matching speakers / subwoofer. It seems to sell for around $400 new. If it includes the speakers and the sub I'd consider buying it. Perhaps you could buy a replacement DVD player from samsung and use the speakers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.