PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Kid-A Mustsee

P-Worm
May 29, 2003, 10:15 PM
This is way funny, but sad at the same time. He is called the "Star Wars Kid" and his "martial arts" video was uploaded on Kazaa without his permission and is now widespread throughout the internet. As compinsation, someone setup a PayPal account for donations and it reached over $4300! The donators have decided to buy him an iPod and a new Mac. Everyone needs to view this video.

watch it here. (http://www.teamabuse.com/toxic/stuff/swk.htm)

Read about it here. (http://www.waxy.org/)

Make sure you watch both videos and enjoy!

P-Worm

MrMacMan
May 29, 2003, 10:44 PM
Wow, that is sorta mean, post a video get your ass handed to you in a lawsuit...

But the links themselves are classic.

He was obviouly trying for a good work out, Jedi style.

edit: read Interview (http://waxy.org/random/html/star_wars_kid/)

P-Worm
May 29, 2003, 10:47 PM
I've decided I'm going to make a shirt with him on it. He's my new hero. Did you read the articles on Waxy.org?

P-Worm

MrMacMan
May 29, 2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by P-Worm
I've decided I'm going to make a shirt with him on it. He's my new hero. Did you read the articles on Waxy.org?

P-Worm

yes.

He seems like a nice guy, but it was kinda making fun of him, atleast the remix.

Me and my friend have been making lightsabers and dueling for a while and have taped them, nothing like this has come tho... :o :(

Wardofsky
May 29, 2003, 10:55 PM
Actually, this has and iPod in the story.

There was an atricle in the (The Age) A3 section (Melbournians will know) and it talked about how there have been people teasing him etc.

But there is a writer trying to raise money to buy and iPod for the kid.

------------Edit------------

My mistake, it has already been mentioned.

kiwi_the_iwik
May 30, 2003, 03:44 AM
BRILLIANT!

That kid has NOTHING to be ashamed of - whoever remixed the vid did an amazing job.

Now that boy's gonna be a legend...

P-Worm
May 30, 2003, 07:46 AM
There's actually a Matrix remix that was done, but I can't currently find it. Anyone know where it is?

P-Worm

tazo
May 30, 2003, 09:12 AM
i saw both and am wholly unimpressed. what is so cool?

Foxer
May 30, 2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by tazo
i saw both and am wholly unimpressed. what is so cool?

As they say, "If you don't get it, you don't get."

pseudobrit
May 30, 2003, 10:13 AM
Anyone else click on the thread topic expecting to see some blend of George Lucas and Radiohead?

Foxer
May 30, 2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by pseudobrit
Anyone else click on the thread topic expecting to see some blend of George Lucas and Radiohead?

I thoguht I was the only who expected that.

It would have been cool!

dynamicd
May 30, 2003, 10:26 AM
Haha, the last quarter of that video is the most outrageous because he's actually getting into it and keeps on slipping and falls down once or twice.

After I read the interview I feel bad, but he's most likely going to get an ipod and maybe a computer out of this and I'm sure nobody will remember this kid a month from now. I'd humiliate myself like that if it meant I'd get a free ipod and computer. Who wouldn't?

medea
May 30, 2003, 12:33 PM
ah that poor little fat boy, seeing him prance around like that.....
ah pretty funny though. some people can be so cruel.....

oh yeah and I also only clicked on this topic because I thought you meant Kid A from Radiohead......

MacBandit
May 30, 2003, 01:09 PM
That version with the sound effects and text is priceless. I laughed so hard I was crying.

I first saw the story of this kid on TechTV last week. He's become a national idol of sorts.

wdlove
May 30, 2003, 02:35 PM
I was expecting more information of Star Wars!

mrjamin
May 30, 2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by pseudobrit

yeah! ditto

Man - that's funny stuff; i bet he's loving the publicity now. I'd do that and let half a million people see it if i got a free mac/iPod out of it!!

GeneR
May 30, 2003, 04:17 PM
I wonder if this is a better way to run the Indie Film Idea (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23528) thread: shoot something, upload it, and let other people work on it however which way they want. Maybe even use bluescreen for most of the shots to allow people to add the backgrounds they want. Hmmm...

MacBandit
May 30, 2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by GeneR
I wonder if this is a better way to run the Indie Film Idea (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23528) thread: shoot something, upload it, and let other people work on it however which way they want. Maybe even use bluescreen for most of the shots to allow people to add the backgrounds they want. Hmmm...

That's a novel idea. You do all the writing and directing and then let all the people with too much time and a lot of talent do the actual production without them knowing it. I like it.:)

scem0
May 30, 2003, 04:39 PM
ahaha. That is funny.

Reminds me of myself.... except I don't think I look that stupid. :p ;)

GeneR
May 30, 2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit
That's a novel idea. You do all the writing and directing and then let all the people with too much time and a lot of talent do the actual production without them knowing it. I like it.:)

Actually, I think it would work better and be far more successful if based on a policy based on goodwill and trust and fun: people are simply asked if they want to help, anyone can participate, and those who did the work got credit for the amount of time and effort they put into it. And, should it get sold as project, people who contributed would get a piece of whatever the final amount was.

They'd know they were helping out or at least trying to do so. But the final product would be owned by all the contributors. Sort of like the Open Source movement with software.

I think that would only be fair. :D

P.S. What would also be interesting is how many different versions of the same movie would be created as a result. :D

MacBandit
May 31, 2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by GeneR
..............P.S. What would also be interesting is how many different versions of the same movie would be created as a result. :D

This is were the interesting parts would come from. In fact I think it would be good to provide several different versions of different scenes in your production to give the people that will edit and produce more options.

Wardofsky
May 31, 2003, 05:52 AM
Poor guy, but you can never be too careful about leaving the tape in the camera after filming sonething like that.

Sol
May 31, 2003, 07:08 AM
I think the kid's family has every right to make this a legal matter. Imagine if somebody got hold of one of your family's videos or photographs and posted them on the internet so that people could call you fat or ugly!

MacBandit
May 31, 2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Sol
I think the kid's family has every right to make this a legal matter. Imagine if somebody got hold of one of your family's videos or photographs and posted them on the internet so that people could call you fat or ugly!

He's making quite a bit of money off of it. Besides there's no reason to screw with someone elses life by taking everything they have just because of your own insecurities. This country is way way too sue happy.

mrjamin
May 31, 2003, 12:04 PM
He's making quite a bit of money off of it. Besides there's no reason to screw with someone elses life by taking everything they have just because of your own insecurities. This country is way way too sue happy.

It certainly has a stereotype of being like that. The UK's starting to get that way now too

MacBandit
May 31, 2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by mrjamin
It certainly has a stereotype of being like that. The UK's starting to get that way now too

Off Topic

That's too bad as that is one of things I really respected about the UK. I don't know why people are so quick to sue to place blame on other people when the problem lies with themselves. In the schools here in the US in the last 10 years or so they have been teaching kids that it's not they're fault. This in my oppionion has become the American motto. It's not my fault it's yours and you're going to pay.

Sorry I just had to vent. The thread can continue on now.

tazo
May 31, 2003, 12:53 PM

it is and it isnt. it is because of people like the woman who sued mcdonalds for the coffee, but it isnt when it makes people pay for what they have done.

MacBandit
May 31, 2003, 01:02 PM
it is and it isnt. it is because of people like the woman who sued mcdonalds for the coffee, but it isnt when it makes people pay for what they have done.

Well I agree that there is a difference of the extremes of the case but still they are unecessary law suits. Just because you are insecure about your size or weight doesn't give you the right to sue someone for making public something you left out in the public. Also this kid should be happy not upset in my oppinion. If he's upset about his weight and people are seeing it then he should do something about it. Also think about what a large lawsuit does to people. It destroys lives.

tazo
May 31, 2003, 01:12 PM
Also think about what a large lawsuit does to people. It destroys lives.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Rower_CPU
May 31, 2003, 04:15 PM

Says the creator of the "Ever committed a crime?" thread. ;)

wdlove
May 31, 2003, 07:25 PM
Off Topic

That's too bad as that is one of things I really respected about the UK. I don't know why people are so quick to sue to place blame on other people when the problem lies with themselves. In the schools here in the US in the last 10 years or so they have been teaching kids that it's not they're fault. This in my oppionion has become the American motto. It's not my fault it's yours and you're going to pay.

Sorry I just had to vent. The thread can continue on now.

It's the whole PC movement in this country. What is not publicly broadcast is that we as individuals are paying for these high lawsuit awards. It costs with higher prices on everything we buy and higher insurance premiums. It's causing alot of physicians to leave the profession. For an OB/GYN his'her premuim can run $100,000/year. Businesses and insurance companies just pass these awards along to us! :(

tazo
May 31, 2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Says the creator of the "Ever committed a crime?" thread. ;)

Um so? I did my time. There is really no such thing as an unwilling crime.

"they forced me to rob the old lady..."

Wardofsky
Jun 1, 2003, 12:01 AM
Um so? I did my time. There is really no such thing as an unwilling crime.

"they forced me to rob the old lady..."

But they did!!! :(

GeneR
Jun 1, 2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by medea
ah that poor little fat boy, seeing him prance around like that.....

That statement alone made me laugh. :D I shall now refer to the Star Wars Kid as, PLFB (Poor Little Fat Boy) in honor of Medea. :D

RE: Matrix Reloaded Version
Anyway, to follow up on what P-Worm said about a Matrix version, I found this site at Waxy.org: http://www.fdntech.com/files/
which says that it has all of three incarnations of the PLFB video. However, I haven't checked it because that site asks if you want to download the PLFB video you need to share your computer as well. Sorry, not going to happen! :D (Or maybe it already is happening and I don't know it. :D)

RE: Lawsuit.
Yeah, that's a bit much. I can understand him feeling bad, but he should get over it. Being sue happy isn't the answer. He's getting a computer and ipod for goodness, sakes!

To launch legal action or the threat of it just flies in the face of all the goodwill that exists on the internet. I think he should realize that he made a lot of fans as a result of this video, not enemies.

RE: PLFB's weight problem. I got 1 word for him:

Slimfast

RE: Indie Film Idea Thread
Yeah, Bandit, I think you made some great points. Multiple shots uploaded may be the answer to provide variety to an online film collaboration.

RE: PLFB's video.
Now, I'm a bit interested in taking the original footage, replacing the background with blue, and seeing what other people would do with it. But it's a WMV format, isn't it? Hmmm.

I bet you could size the kid down, make multiple layers of the kid, sort of like a 100 Agent Smiths and see them all swinging around in synch with each other.

Should be funny. :D

evil
Jun 1, 2003, 11:37 AM
can someone tell me how i can watch it?
i downloaded it, but i dont know what application to use.
yes i am that ignorant

benixau
Jun 1, 2003, 11:42 AM
one downside to this -

ill get back to you :D

MacBandit
Jun 1, 2003, 03:15 PM

The point is there is no real crime. That's what makes most law suits frivolous and a way of just placing the blame off on someone else.

tazo
Jun 1, 2003, 03:17 PM
The point is there is no real crime. That's what makes most law suits frivolous and a way of just placing the blame off on someone else.

So you believe the majority of law suits are frivoluous?

MacBandit
Jun 1, 2003, 03:36 PM
So you believe the majority of law suits are frivoluous?

I do. I think the majority of people can not accept that they made a mistake and must take it out on the next person.

P-Worm
Jun 1, 2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by evil
can someone tell me how i can watch it?
i downloaded it, but i dont know what application to use.
yes i am that ignorant

It's a file for Windows Media Player. You can watch it with the VideoLAN client. I don't have the link, but it is easy enough to find if you look for it. Or you could get the Windows Media Player for Mac, if you really want that garbage on your computer.

P-Worm

evil
Jun 1, 2003, 09:13 PM
It's a file for Windows Media Player. You can watch it with the VideoLAN client. I don't have the link, but it is easy enough to find if you look for it. Or you could get the Windows Media Player for Mac, if you really want that garbage on your computer.

P-Worm

no i dont really want to download **** just to watch some stupid video.
videoLAN? huh?
please explain to me. i am not mac intelligent.
theres all these mac geniuses here and noone can say how i can watch this video.

MacBandit
Jun 1, 2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by evil
no i dont really want to download **** just to watch some stupid video.
videoLAN? huh?
please explain to me. i am not mac intelligent.
theres all these mac geniuses here and noone can say how i can watch this video.

The original file is a Windows Media File. You will have to have Windows Media Player. Here's a link.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13112

Also get VideoLan Client. It's a really great program that every mac user should have. Here's a link.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14738

You will want it eventually any way. If Quicktime doesn't play it and VLC doesn't play it then the file is most likely corrupt and won't play on any machine.

tazo
Jun 1, 2003, 09:35 PM
I do. I think the majority of people can not accept that they made a mistake and must take it out on the next person.

Lets speak in generalities for a moment, how can you blame a person for an inustice against them? You are implying that since "the majority of people cannot accept that they made a mistake and must take it out on the next person", that a person that is raped is only the victim of their ignorance. That a person gunned down by a drive-by shooting, "should not have been standing there". Is this what you really thought? Because that is what you implied.

Don't believe me? Look at your own post.

MacBandit
Jun 1, 2003, 09:48 PM
Lets speak in generalities for a moment, how can you blame a person for an inustice against them? You are implying that since "the majority of people cannot accept that they made a mistake and must take it out on the next person", that a person that is raped is only the victim of their ignorance. That a person gunned down by a drive-by shooting, "should not have been standing there". Is this what you really thought? Because that is what you implied.

Don't believe me? Look at your own post.

No no no, you're taking it completely the wrong way. I am saying the person that drops hot coffee in there lap and then sues the company for getting burnt is placing the blame on the wrong person. It's people like that that help nibble away the finer things in our lives and freedoms. The vast majority of lawsuits (these are the small ones) are the type with displacement of blame.

P-Worm
Jun 1, 2003, 09:54 PM
No no no, you're taking it completely the wrong way. I am saying the person that drops hot coffee in there lap and then sues the company for getting burnt is placing the blame on the wrong person. It's people like that that help nibble away the finer things in our lives and freedoms. The vast majority of lawsuits (these are the small ones) are the type with displacement of blame.

I totally agree with you here. I heard about a guy that went in to rob a seven-eleven, but slipped on the mopped floor. Of course he sued the seven-eleven. Suing has gotten way out of hand and it's our tax dollars that supports it.

But then again it is important to have around to make sure that justice is served. Suing is meant to make amends, not to be used as a get rich quick scheme.

P-Worm

MacBandit
Jun 2, 2003, 12:49 AM
I totally agree with you here. I heard about a guy that went in to rob a seven-eleven, but slipped on the mopped floor. Of course he sued the seven-eleven. Suing has gotten way out of hand and it's our tax dollars that supports it.

But then again it is important to have around to make sure that justice is served. Suing is meant to make amends, not to be used as a get rich quick scheme.

P-Worm

The robber stories are the most common. It's very common for people to sue when they get hurt while breaking in or trespassing on someone elses property. I think that the ability to sue is definitely needed but when people are winning these cases even when they were breaking the law there is something wrong. The Judges should be throwing most of these cases outl.

Doctor Q
Jun 7, 2003, 01:42 PM
Here's a tiny sample of the video in gif format:

http://a1112.g.akamai.net/7/1112/492/07312000/www.wired.com/news/images/thumbs/starwarskid2.gif

garzy
Jun 7, 2003, 02:03 PM
drQ, did you make that?

Doctor Q
Jun 7, 2003, 04:56 PM
No, I found it at wired.com: http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,58881,00.html

I wonder if Ghyslain (that's the kid's name) and his family, rather than taking legal action (http://www.waxy.org/archive/2003/05/29/ghyslain.shtml), should look for opportunities to make money by capitalizing on his unintended fame rather than trying to punish or squeeze money out of his schoolmates' parents. Maybe Ghyslain should write a book. Maybe George Lucas will give him a part in his next movie. Maybe people would buy a DVD he could make with the original video plus interviews with him and others. Maybe he could speak at Star Wars conventions. Once you are famous or infamous, for better or worse, there a lot of opportunities available. Once the cat got out of the bag with this video, there wasn't much he could do to put it back in, so he's got to make the best of it.

scem0
Jun 7, 2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q

Thank you for posting that.
<------------- :D

- scem0 http://www.blizzforums.com/images/smilies/twitch.gif

Doctor Q
Jun 7, 2003, 06:10 PM
More Star Wars Kid movies:

Star Wars Kid teams up with the dancing baby (http://www.flabber.nl/img/dancing.baby.star.wars.kid.wmv)

Star Wars Kid to "Russian Dance" by Tchaikovsky (http://www.rolandblais.org/downloads/Star_Wars_kid_classic.mov) - watch for the gerbil!

Star Wars Kid and his clone (http://media.ebaumsworld.com/index.php?e=starwarsdorkclones.wmv)

Mini-animations from bloggerheads.com: one (http://www.bloggerheads.com/images/obiwan_star_wars_kid_anim.gif) two (http://www.bloggerheads.com/images/vader_star_wars_kid.gif) three (http://www.bloggerheads.com/images/obijin_star_wars_kid.gif) four (http://www.bloggerheads.com/images/blackknight_star_wars_kid.gif)

There are also Matrix take-offs but I haven't find a good link yet.

Doctor Q
Jun 7, 2003, 06:21 PM
I think the links are ok and that I'm just having trouble with the VideoLAN media player. So I hope these work for you:

Star Wars Kid Reloaded (http://JeffMash.com/videos/StarWarsKidReloaded.wmv)

Star Wars Kid in The Mortal Kombat Workout (http://www.citlink.net/~djfreeze/MKworkout.wmv)

beez7777
Jun 7, 2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q

http://a1112.g.akamai.net/7/1112/492/07312000/www.wired.com/news/images/thumbs/starwarskid2.gif

woah, in the gif he almost looks like a real jedi, and not completely off balance and confused. :)

great video btw, made me laugh. if i were this kid i would be happy with all that publicity, not angry enough to sue anybody, :)

MacBandit
Jun 7, 2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by beez7777
woah, in the gif he almost looks like a real jedi, and not completely off balance and confused. :)

great video btw, made me laugh. if i were this kid i would be happy with all that publicity, not angry enough to sue anybody, :)

I think it's his parents that are sueing. How many kids at that age think about that sort of thing unless coaxed by an adult. The kid is probably upset but he needs to look on the bright side of it and turn it in his favor. It really is in his favor as it is.

mrjamin
Jun 11, 2003, 07:31 PM
yet another spoof: http://www.adultswim.com/webcam/gal_mov/sg_kid/index.html

MacBandit
Jun 13, 2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by mrjamin
yet another spoof: http://www.adultswim.com/webcam/gal_mov/sg_kid/index.html

Die die mosquitos. The only enemy that Space Ghost might actually be able to beat.