Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleman06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2001
KY or NC, take your pick.
OK, I'm gonna do this calmly, and hopefully not get my head bitten off by anyone, like monkeybrain. I have no info about this, I just want to here peoples input.

Does anyone think that Airport will be updated?

Shaft

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2001
Switzerland/Zürich
Sure

I don't know if apple will update the airport now....for the paris expo. But fact is that wireless access is the future...but the future's demanding speed. So they had to speed up the connection (not for internet...or does anybody have a really huge t1 or t3 at home?) for filesharing. I have no idea how fast could it be but it has to be at least 50mbit....

I'm not that technician guru...

Shaft

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
speeds

I've used Airport exclusively on T1's. The speed hit, as compared to just hooking into jacks, is pretty negligible for internet stuff. Cuts out sometimes, but that's the price we pay. Haven't done any file sharing though....of course, with OS X, the AppleTalk of old seems to be dying anyway....

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Airport

Apple needs to up the range on the damned thing. It has a pritty small range, anybody agree. I would buy the thing, but apple is only using the thing for education.

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
What?

Monkeybusiness, are you talking about Bluetooth?? Cause if you are it is total BS comapred to airport.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
clarity:

No, Airport and Bluetooth are separate but yes, the Airport standard does come in higher ranges. Orinoco makes a building-mount kit with horizon-reaching range.
Keep in mind: speed isn't about a given device's rated transfer capacity but on the functioning bandwidth per user of the local and wide area networks. Airport has a rather funky-cool feature in routing data between multiple base-stations in a large network to "even out" Bandwidth. It's not widely published or understood but it's something about how it packets data. If I'm moving Data from Germany to California it passes through a bottleneck at (say) Frankfurt, at the Channel, At the Atlantic Fiber, at the fiber-local ARPA, at the ARPA at my end AND at my ISP. All this reduces the data transfer rate as millions of other users, systems, networks etc. do the same thing through the same few high-end gateways. If large areas were layed out using Airport tech to supplement existing infrastructure the data-saturation capacity would go up nearly exponentially just in more even distribution. I.E. if you get a consistant better-than-airport speed You're a lucky pudd.

Bluetooth compatibility is aimed more at devices and peripherals, it would be cool to see the two on the same tranciever though........

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
no, i am not talking about bluetooth, best buy has pc internet airports, i can't remember what they are called, but the card has to be put into the pcmcia slot and it's up to 11 mbps, but can cover up to 1000 feet, instead of 150?? i think that's how far it works

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
careful

faralon had a PCMCIA product for airport and it only had a range of about 40'. The literature said 150'. Look up what the testing wuz and who's used it.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Bluetooth would be good

Apple knows companies that could have available Cards and Stations. It wouldn't hurt if apple got so someone to make that darn thing for them. Airport 2.0 ?

elliotay

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2001
ok, everyone got completely off topic. The question was asked does anyone think that airport will be updated? I think that airport will be updated at paris and we'll see an increased bandwith along w/ increased range. Atleast that's what I'm hoping for.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
lol

not a great choice of words. And apple legal is pritty big checking out what happens at sites like this one.

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
ea

A little birdie also told me a bird in hand is better than 2.0 in the bush. Lets be happy that we have airport rather than wish for airport 2.0. Lets hope for a major upgrade on laptops at Paris.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.