PDA

View Full Version : what is your school's mascot?

jefhatfield
May 29, 2003, 11:31 PM
i have been an otter, padre, lobo, mustang, cossack, and griffin...and something else for santa barbara city college...assuming they had a mascot back in 1985:p

also, what is the strangest or dumbest mascot out there?

near where i live, the local university of california at santa cruz are the banana slugs

tazo
May 29, 2003, 11:34 PM
mine is the thunderbird :)

I have been hmmm...
mustang, shark, bobcat, 'energy', and now in high school the 'thunderbird'. Our rival high school in the same town are the 'highlanders'. lol.

Our graduating class's name is 'yogi' :p it could have been Spongebob squarepants. :Shudders:::
good thread jef, :)

janey
May 29, 2003, 11:48 PM
the school's mascot is the gaspar de portola dude who murdered people :rolleyes:
the people in the magnet have been trying to get the school to change the mascot...unsuccessfully.
the graduating class has their own mascot that they choose, ours was between an ugly turtle only two people voted for, Tux the Linux mascot that everyone thought was cute and this horse with a lady next to it who looks like trinity from the matrix...
it was close...but the horse won. guess what our motto is?! :D "Think Different."

Rower_CPU
May 30, 2003, 12:05 AM
Aztecs.

Don't get me started on all the crap we've gone through the past couple of years with a Native American mascot.

vniow
May 30, 2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
near where i live, the local university of california at santa cruz are the banana slugs

Hell yeah, those bananna slugs rock!

scem0
May 30, 2003, 12:16 AM
a trojan... and no, I'm not talking about a condom.... :rolleyes: :D ;)

Mac til death
May 30, 2003, 12:17 AM
GO "Quistors"! (Conquistadors)

shadowfax
May 30, 2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Mac til death
GO "Quistors"! (Conquistadors) do you say that like keesters? hahahaha! nice!

westwood warriors here, except i graduated already. the ceremony is tomorrow at 9:00 AM, but i'm not going. we also get crap about native american stuff. i really don't understand that BS. it's culture, it's not so pretty always, but really...

Doctor Q
May 30, 2003, 12:45 AM
near where i live, the local university of california at santa cruz are the banana slugsI have a Santa Cruz banana slug T-shirt. No, I didn't go to school there. But I dropped in once just to see the campus and came home with the shirt.

Lots of colleges choose ferocious-sounding animals as mascots. Lions and Tigers are popular, although there seem to be more Eagles than anything else. Some of the less-common animals that serve as college mascots are: Anteaters, Armadillos, Bees, Boll Weevils, Frogs, Griffins, Kangaroos, Koalas, Larks, Pelicans, Scorpions, Sea Gulls, Sea Otters, Spiders, Turtles, and Whales. Oregon Tech (http://www.oit.edu/)'s mascot is The Hustlin' Owls. Personally, I never see owls hustle, but maybe they only do so at night.

I'm not sure what these beasts are:

* College of the Atlantic (http://www.coa.edu/) Blackflies (Maine)

* Evergreen State College (http://www.evergreen.edu/) Geoducks (Washington state)

Best of all: schools with Jaguars as mascots!

dethl
May 30, 2003, 12:53 AM
I just graduated from high school, my mascot was a cavemen and cavegirl. This is because we obviously have the Carlsbad caverns :P

At my college, New Mexico Tech, I'm going to become a Miner (New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology :P)

Wes
May 30, 2003, 01:05 AM
A Cougar, a rare sight in London.

Wardofsky
May 30, 2003, 01:09 AM
Well, hmm, lets see.

There is a snake for a house we call Slytherin
A lion for a house Gr.....

Oh, our ACTUAL schools :D

We have a yellow lion for Wesley.

Yellow lion on purple blazers, even our internet (ethernet) cords are purple with yellow clip protectors!

MacBandit
May 30, 2003, 01:10 AM
My high schools mascot was a billie goat. We were the Pleasant Hill Billies. Anyone notice the Hill Billy part? Well when the school originaly started in the 1800's it was the Pleasant Hill Hill Billies. They were the first official public school in Oregon.

shadowfax
May 30, 2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by dethl
I just graduated from high school, my mascot was a cavemen and cavegirl. This is because we obviously have the Carlsbad caverns :P

At my college, New Mexico Tech, I'm going to become a Miner (New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology :P) whiirrrrrr, dude i used to live in Las Cruces. New Mexico is the coolest state. i love the desert--nice cool nights :D

Royal Pineapple
May 30, 2003, 01:33 AM
were the wildcats
booring i know but whatever

Spike Spiegel
May 30, 2003, 01:39 AM
in highschool and all previous schools, we were the Warriors, but in college, were the Corsairs (pirates) Our logos and stuff are pretty lame looking, but i think it could potential if designed correctly.

trebblekicked
May 30, 2003, 01:40 AM
i went to 2 high schools everyday. i had one bad ass mascot (The Taylor Alderdice Dragons) and one inexcusably pansy mascott (The CAPA Unicorns)...

in college i was a Pioneer and a Tartan. Neither school had much going athletically, so it really didn't matter.

MacBandit
May 30, 2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by trebblekicked
i went to 2 high schools everyday. i had one bad ass mascot (The Taylor Alderdice Dragons) and one inexcusably pansy mascott (The CAPA Unicorns)...

in college i was a Pioneer and a Tartan. Neither school had much going athletically, so it really didn't matter.

While we may now associate the unicorn with pansy and put it in the category with pretend tea parties. In it's day it was supposed to be a mythical beast of immense power.

iGav
May 30, 2003, 05:09 AM
My infant and junior school was a Badger 'Birch Hill Badgers'...

My High School was a 'Monk' with the phrase... 'Learn To Be Free'.... :rolleyes: :p

MrMacMan
May 30, 2003, 06:20 AM
"The Rebels"

I think that is the saddest name because the school I go to is Great Neck South, the sad past it a that the North team is called
"The Blazers"
The Rebels vs The Sports Jacket. :o :p ;)

pivo6
May 30, 2003, 06:34 AM
My high school's was a cardunal. No, that's not a typo, but it stood for the tri cities of Carpentersville, Dundee, and Algonquin, IL . College mascot was Chief Illiniwek of the U of Illinois.

fatcow242
May 30, 2003, 06:38 AM
Fightin' Irish.

Kwyjibo
May 30, 2003, 07:08 AM
Well today is my last day of high school, and my high school mascot is an Eagle and my Middle school mascot was a "twister" like a tornado...

NavyIntel007
May 30, 2003, 07:32 AM
Hurricanes

or

An Ibis named Sabastian

Wardofsky
May 30, 2003, 08:02 AM
My primary school was a palm tree.

unc32
May 30, 2003, 08:23 AM
Tar Heels!

mactastic
May 30, 2003, 09:28 AM
I'm a mustang from a school that smells like manure when the wind blows the wrong way. My dad used to teach at a place called Live Oak High, thier mascot was the acorn. Get it? Oak -> acorn? But thats not the silliest. Try the Hollister Haybalers. Now theres a mascot. Look Billy, theres the Haybale cheering the crowd on! And I love hearing the UCSC boosters cheering "Go Slugs! Slime 'Em!

Foxer
May 30, 2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by unc32
Tar Heels!

My condolences.

(See next post...)

Foxer
May 30, 2003, 09:34 AM
Jr. high - Eagles
H.S. - Pioneers
College - Wolverines
Law School - Blue Devils

FriarTuck
May 30, 2003, 10:15 AM
Knight, Crusader, Knight again, Redbird, Wildcat

wdlove
May 30, 2003, 10:19 AM
Don't remember that my high school had a mascot, our color was red and white. Also college don't think we had a Mascot. My wife's college, Blue Jays!

applemacdude
May 30, 2003, 11:38 AM
monera ms toros....my other middle school panthers;)

i know this school that their mascots are grasshoppers...the happy grasshoppers

Foxer
May 30, 2003, 11:59 AM
One of the best HS mascots I know of was the alma mater of the guy who lived next to me in college. Midland, MI is the home of Dow Chemicals and the HS is the Midland Chemics. I always loved that. Also in college, we liked to convince people who didn't know that the Univ of Detroit (which is known for thier dental school) were called the U of D Cavity Creeps. You'd be surprised how many people believe that one.

markjones05
May 30, 2003, 12:25 PM
TIGER

Doctor Q
May 30, 2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by markjones05
TIGER I volunteered at two different elementary schools where the mascot was a tiger. I guess tigers are brave and ferocious while also being cute and fuzzy. Both schools had a certain time set aside each day where everyone in the school (students, teachers, principal, janitor, lunch lady Doris, etc.) was supposed to read. One school called it the boring name SSR, for "sustained silent reading", but the other school called it TIGER, for "time I greatly enjoy reading". Pretty clever, eh?

Moxiemike
May 30, 2003, 02:33 PM
My high school was the Vikings. I had a cool ice hockey mask. :D

My grade school was the "Centurions" lame. and we never won shizzzzz.

College A was the "Dukes" as in Duquense Dukes. Lame.

Then I went to art school. and We decided that we wanted to be the AIP CMYK. And get sponsored by adobe.

But the best ever is a minor league hockey team in Macon, Ga called the Whoopee. The Macon Whoopee. Heehee.

they were sponosored by the Radisson one year, "The official hotel for Macon Whoopee"

hehehe

pEZ
May 30, 2003, 03:31 PM
Wow - none of mine are as awesome as the Macon Whoopee:

Elementary - Wildcats
Middle - Cardinals
High - Knights
College - Bucky!

(yeah, not leaving anything to the imagination as to where I go to college)

jefhatfield
May 30, 2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
Well today is my last day of high school...

hey, major congrats!!!

of all the graduations...kindergarten, elementary school, middle school, high school, junior college, college, grad school, the high school graduation is the most memorable

because society doesn't expect you to go to school anymore after this, the alice cooper song, "school's out for summer (out forever)" really has meaning

and five, ten, and twenty or more years after all the graduations in your life, only high school will have reunions where people will actually show up and for many, these will be the markers for the rest of one's life and a way to keep up with your childhood friends as you watch them get fat, go grey, and go bald:p

i just had my 20th last year and i saw all of the above...remember the unsightly girls? well, they will the middle aged babes 20 years from now...remember the most popular jock? well, he will be making minimum wage and be thru his third rehab...and remember that geek that the popular people threw head first into the trash can? well, he will have his master's in law and be chief of police or be the founder of some multi-billion dollar software company and be married to a 19 year old supermodel from sweden

man, it's funny how these 20 year reunion stereotypes endure;)

MacBandit
May 30, 2003, 04:33 PM
hey, major congrats!!!

of all the graduations...kindergarten, elementary school, middle school, high school, junior college, college, grad school, the high school graduation is the most memorable

because society doesn't expect you to go to school anymore after this, the alice cooper song, "school's out for summer (out forever)" really has meaning

and five, ten, and twenty or more years after all the graduations in your life, only high school will have reunions where people will actually show up and for many, these will be the markers for the rest of one's life and a way to keep up with your childhood friends as you watch them get fat, go grey, and go bald:p

i just had my 20th last year and i saw all of the above...remember the unsightly girls? well, they will the middle aged babes 20 years from now...remember the most popular jock? well, he will be making minimum wage and be thru his third rehab...and remember that geek that the popular people threw head first into the trash can? well, he will have his master's in law and be chief of police or be the founder of some multi-billion dollar software company and be married to a 19 year old supermodel from sweden

You know it doesn't seem but a few years ago I graduated but I'm coming up on my 10 year reunion in '05. This will be our first reunion and should be very interesting. I was the meek/dirt bike/computer geek/freak in High School. Now I'm a worldly experienced dirt bike/computer geek/freak who has been working out for a few years. Also I've had an established career and lost it and am now looking again.

wdlove
May 30, 2003, 04:56 PM
I left my hometown prior to our 10th anniversary, so I'm not sure if they had one. Now it will be my 40th anniversary in 3 years. It's something that I never imagined as being reality! :p I did attend the 5th anniverary though. Everyone was the same, except, what struck me the most was that of those that had married 50% had divorced. The only one from my class that I'm close to anymore is my cousin! She was born just 2 days before me. Our mothers were in the same hospital at the same time! She has been divorced twice and is single with 2 children!

Doctor Q
May 30, 2003, 06:34 PM
There was a great photo in the Los Angeles Times: three smiling young women wearing jerseys that said IRATE. The caption explained that their team mascot was PIRATES. The P and S were around their sides so they weren't visible. I wonder what other mascots have the potential for this problem. For example, BRUINS could look like RUINS. I'll bet if we think about it we could find some funnier ones.

wdlove
May 30, 2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
There was a great photo in the Los Angeles Times: three smiling young women wearing jerseys that said IRATE. The caption explained that their team mascot was PIRATES. The P and S were around their sides so they weren't visible. I wonder what other mascots have the potential for this problem. For example, BRUINS could look like RUINS. I'll bet if we think about it we could find some funnier ones.

Since you mentioned the Bruins. I'll add the Celtics which would be ELTIC

pivo6
May 30, 2003, 08:03 PM
hey, major congrats!!!

I guess I'll see if that's true or not. My 20th high school reunion is the weekend after the 4th of July. I'm going and I can't wait to find out what happened to some of my old friends.

janey
May 30, 2003, 09:33 PM
ibookin' correct me if i'm wrong. my elementary school was in this town/city/village/place/whatever that's named after a rock that looks like an eagle. weird but sorta cool.
http://eaglerockchamberofcommerce.com/er2.jpg

Doctor Q
May 31, 2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by übergeek
ibookin' correct me if i'm wrong. my elementary school was in this town/city/village/place/whatever that's named after a rock that looks like an eagle. weird but sorta cool.;) Actually, Eagle Rock was named after The Eagles (http://www.eaglesmusic.com/Gallery/bwcover.jpg) rock group. And the Rock of Gibraltar was named after a bank (http://www.gibraltarbank.com/images/las_olas.jpg). And Morrow Rock was named after Edward R. Morrow, er Murrow (http://www.evesmag.com/murrowi.jpg).

tazo
May 31, 2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Moxiemike

they were sponosored by the Radisson one year, "The official hotel for Macon Whoopee"

hehehe

LMAO!!!! that is great :D :D :D

donigian
Jun 5, 2003, 06:37 PM
Well, we're the East Literature Magnet High Eagles. That's fun to watch the cheerleaders spell out.

Dignan
Jun 5, 2003, 06:44 PM
high school- the "rebels"
College- year one, the seahawks
Year two, the uh....the crimson

shecky
Jun 5, 2003, 07:17 PM
i go to the Rhode Island School of Design. our mascot is the Nads.

yes, i am serious. you can buy this shirt in the bookstore.

http://www.risd.edu/artwork/store/nads.jpg

that's right.. a bunch of design students sitting in an arena watching a hockey game shouting "GO NADS!!"

again, yes, i am serious.

tpjunkie
Jun 5, 2003, 07:30 PM
I've been plagued with somewhat bizarre mascots...in high school we were the Montclair Mounties....only we weren't sure if they meant like the Canadian police or what...when an actual picture of our mascot was shown, it was always a bulldog. Yes, I know there is no connection at all, and it doesn't make sense.

Now in college, we're the Union College Dutchmen. Not the Flying Dutchmen, just the Dutchmen. You can occasionally find pictures of our mascot in clogs, smoking a pipe on various college bookstore paraphanelia...at the Football games, someone occasionally puts the costume on, but most visitors do not usually realize what he is supposed to be