PDA

View Full Version : iTunes: When will music finally utilize surround sound?

fiercetiger224
Feb 19, 2007, 10:21 AM
You know, I've been wondering, since the AAC codec supports 5.1 surround sound, do you think Apple will eventually utilize it for music? I noticed that many trailers on the Apple QuickTime site have 5.1 audio. It would be just be freakin' awesome, and for each song, they should charge basically maybe 50 cents to 1 buck more than usual. Or for an album, maybe 15 to 20 percent more. A small premium to pay, but if we could get surround sound, the iTunes Store could really push it, compared to ill-fated formats like SACD and DVD Audio. What do you guys think? :D

yippy
Feb 19, 2007, 10:23 AM
I think music would have to be recorded in surround sound first. At the moment most of it isn't.

I also don't think there is much need for it with music. Music is supposed to me a mix of sound, not separated (most of the time) where as movies use surround to simulate a 3d environment. I have a few songs that put out very different left/right tracks and it kind of annoys me as it is unbalanced.

PlaceofDis
Feb 19, 2007, 10:25 AM
I think music would have to be recorded in surround sound first. At the moment most of it isn't.

yes indeed. there are a few artists who looove surround sound. Nine Inch Nails comes to mind and you can find some of his music available in 5.1 on special discs. but overall there has been no push by artists/labels to record/publish music in surround.

fiercetiger224
Feb 19, 2007, 10:31 AM

True enough. I have plenty of remastered SACDs in 5.1 surround, and it sounds fantastic. Too bad there aren't enough of them. If the companies would take some extra time to remix it into 5.1, they'd probably be able to make more money off these mixes. Since they're already being so greedy about money in the first place... :rolleyes:

Oh and, if Apple did start doing this, then they'd be the first online music store to offer it? :D

yes indeed. there are a few artists who looove surround sound. Nine Inch Nails comes to mind and you can find some of his music available in 5.1 on special discs. but overall there has been no push by artists/labels to record/publish music in surround.

Maybe if Apple pushes for it, then every company may start doing it? Like some kind of policy or something. Nine Inch Nails was definitely one of my favorite 5.1 mixes for SACD.

But again, another proprietary format that never took off. Why so many format wars? Why not stick with standards? :rolleyes:

dops7107
Feb 19, 2007, 11:21 AM
It wouldn't really work with headphones, would it? You'd have to listen to your music in the centre of 6 speakers... good for audiophiles, but not all that practical.

JonD25
Feb 19, 2007, 11:28 AM
It wouldn't really work with headphones, would it? You'd have to listen to your music in the centre of 6 speakers... good for audiophiles, but not all that practical.

Also applies to car speakers. Even if they wired a car for surround, the driver seat is not the "sweet spot" of the surround sound spectrum.

We had to mix a song we recorded in 5.1 for my recording class last year. It was fun and really let me get creative with pannings, but for practical purposes, it just doesn't work.

PlaceofDis
Feb 19, 2007, 11:36 AM
Maybe if Apple pushes for it, then every company may start doing it? Like some kind of policy or something. Nine Inch Nails was definitely one of my favorite 5.1 mixes for SACD.

But again, another proprietary format that never took off. Why so many format wars? Why not stick with standards? :rolleyes:

there are reasons why it never took off. mainly being that the vast majority of people don't listen to their music in a 5.1 setting, nor do they have such a set up.

for this to happen it would involve another format. which is not good. there are too many as it is. there is no 'standard' for 5.1 audio discs other than SACD