PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV Startup Movie

MacRumors
Feb 19, 2007, 10:40 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Users anxious to get a glimpse of the Apple TV's startup movie can now get some still pictures courtesy of the Logan website (http://www.hellologan.com/site/news_winter07.php) (who has also done other Apple work as well).

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/02/19/apple_tv_400.jpg

The Apple TV has been promised to ship by the end of this month, despite some rebuffed by Apple ("http://www.macrumors.com/2007/02/10/apple-tv-shipments-pushed-to-march/>rumored delays[/url] which have been [url="http://www.macrumors.com/2007/02/12/apple-tv-shipping-in-february-as-promised/).

nitynate
Feb 19, 2007, 10:41 AM
Woah...

Thats cool.

aricher
Feb 19, 2007, 10:42 AM
Looks very cool. Doesn't mean that I'm buying one though.

tvguru
Feb 19, 2007, 10:43 AM
Looks neat, but I still have no use for it. :(

groovebuster
Feb 19, 2007, 10:48 AM
As long as I can't stream DVDs to the Apple TV it is not more than a paperweight for me... and for that purpose it is a little bit too expensive... ;)

groovebuster

elppa
Feb 19, 2007, 10:48 AM
It look just like the movie here (http://www.apple.com/itunes/).

[Scroll over :apple:tv]

Edit: Apart from the ending.

AliensAreFuzzy
Feb 19, 2007, 10:56 AM
That's awesome. Now, when they come out, I've got to test them with my handbrake rips and make sure they work. If they do, maybe I'll buy one.

mrrory
Feb 19, 2007, 11:05 AM
I've got to test them with my handbrake rips and make sure they work. Agreed. Do we know if they'll playback DivX stuff? Also, anyone know if they'll work with a regular TV and just scale down the content? I can afford Apple TV, but not a new TV too :(

Chris Bangle
Feb 19, 2007, 11:07 AM
Whoa.. I hope leopard has loads of useless core animation stuff. I love wasting time with awesome eyecandy.

longofest
Feb 19, 2007, 11:09 AM
It look just like the movie here (http://www.apple.com/itunes/).

[Scroll over :apple:tv]

Edit: Apart from the ending.

Yeah... they're similar, but there are definite differences. Still, thanks for pointing that out.

twoodcc
Feb 19, 2007, 11:11 AM
Looks very cool. Doesn't mean that I'm buying one though.

yeah i agree. looks cool, but i don't have the money or really use for one (i'm sure i could come up with a use though :) ) :apple:

mdntcallr
Feb 19, 2007, 11:14 AM
sounds neat, but i think that Apple needs to offer hd movies on ppv on this also, to match offerings by Xbox 360 and soon to be the PS3.

most people dont want to "Buy" a digital movie which can't be burned to disc. and even if it were, would be much lesser quality than a dvd.

I would rather pay a PPV rental fee. be able to watch it on my video ipod, apple tv or mac or pc on itunes. then have it expire within 24 hours of being watched. with a 1 month download cycle, so i can rent movies before travelling. then watch them as i like

mikeyrogers
Feb 19, 2007, 11:15 AM
Agreed. Do we know if they'll playback DivX stuff? Also, anyone know if they'll work with a regular TV and just scale down the content? I can afford Apple TV, but not a new TV too :(

Where have you been? It's common knowledge that if iTunes can play it, so can :apple:TV. Not only was that announced at MacWorld, but their website also clearly states it (http://www.apple.com/appletv/sync.html).

Gaelic1
Feb 19, 2007, 11:20 AM
I cannot see a use for this in my home. I can rent DVDs locally for less than $3 for a week. I have a TV set with a much larger screen than my Mac with a far better sound system. Perhaps I've missed something here.:confused:

ejbenjamin
Feb 19, 2007, 11:21 AM
I've been wondering lately if the Apple TV ship date may be dependent on Apple's progress in other areas-- specifically, the iTunes store.

It seems odd to me that the Apple TV specifically requires a widescreen television when widescreen content isn't available at the iTunes store. Perhaps widescreen content-- or, better yet, real 720p content-- will become available at the same time as the new device?

I think there's still a piece of the puzzle that's missing, and that may be it. I know the movie trailers are available in 720p, but not even Apple could get away with charging $300 for a device designed only for trailers.

redAPPLE
Feb 19, 2007, 11:24 AM
As long as I can't stream DVDs to the Apple TV it is not more than a paperweight for me...

it can't? is this a fact?

milo
Feb 19, 2007, 11:25 AM
Where have you been? It's common knowledge that if iTunes can play it, so can :apple:TV. Not only was that announced at MacWorld, but their website also clearly states it (http://www.apple.com/appletv/sync.html).

Nope, it only plays certain formats, see here: http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

More like "common misconception" than "common knowledge".

iJawn108
Feb 19, 2007, 11:27 AM
i cant wait to see the intro video for leopard ;D

milo
Feb 19, 2007, 11:27 AM
it can't? is this a fact?

You can rip a DVD and stream that. I'm not sure why anyone would want to stream an actual optical disk from another room when you already have a box that can just play it (or you can buy one for $30).

It's for playing ripped content, just like an iPod does. The whole point is to make DVD discs go away.

helmuthelmut
Feb 19, 2007, 11:29 AM
I saw the presentations of the apple TV and i am truly a mac fan... but i still have a candid question in my mind ?

what's the point ?

As of today, i download movies and tv shows on my i pod via i tune and then i can connect the ipod directly to my tv with a cable that's worth 10 USD plus and a craddle that i already had ? what will the apple tv give me other than what i already have ?

jsw
Feb 19, 2007, 11:34 AM
what's the point ?
I think this question will be answered, one way or another, for most people within a week or so of people actually having them in their hands and providing feedback.

I think it's not all that useful for most, but a cheaper-than-a-mini option for those who want to stream from various Macs to a permanently-connected-to-a-TV system.

I suspect the rumored games might help sales, and I'm sure people hacking things to allow other ripped movies to be played will be enormously helpful.

But... I think we need to wait for people to actually play with them to really decide the pros and cons.

Object-X
Feb 19, 2007, 11:36 AM
:apple: TV or mini or both? AppleTV is cool, but it's not very feature rich and it's only 720p :( A mini could be used instead and is only a few hundred more. The mini can browse the internet, act as a PVR, play true HD content, ect.

And what about FrontRow? It seemed surprising to me that Apple created a different interface for the AppleTV. It makes me wonder if they are still going to use the mini or create a branded miniTV that has more advanced features like I mentioned above? Or will they just leave it up to users to figure that out.

I want an AppleTV that can stream my desktop not just iTunes stuff.

Compile 'em all
Feb 19, 2007, 11:37 AM
I saw the presentations of the apple TV and i am truly a mac fan... but i still have a candid question in my mind ?

what's the point ?

As of today, i download movies and tv shows on my i pod via i tune and then i can connect the ipod directly to my tv with a cable that's worth 10 USD plus and a craddle that i already had ? what will the apple tv give me other than what i already have ?

Because :apple:TV can stream directly from the Machine hosting the files. In your case, each time you download a movie you have to copy it over to your iPod, go to your TV and connect it.

gugy
Feb 19, 2007, 11:56 AM
cool,
Logan does a lot of work for Apple. They do nice stuff.

Data
Feb 19, 2007, 11:57 AM
Because :apple:TV can stream directly from the Machine hosting the files. In your case, each time you download a movie you have to copy it over to your iPod, go to your TV and connect it.

.... is very low with an ipod , not so with an apple tv.
But i agree, i won't to buy one top but i still have not found a good enough reason to do so i'm afraid, i still buy my movies on dvd disks.

mi5moav
Feb 19, 2007, 12:02 PM
who makes that digital tv on apples website is it sony or toshiba?

http://www.apple.com/appletv/

the one with the circular base on the right

xli_ne
Feb 19, 2007, 12:22 PM
o I'm buying one now

silverboy31
Feb 19, 2007, 12:37 PM
I don't understand why people say this is "useless or i don't see the point" I've ordered mine already and have begun encoding my dvd collection to h264 using handbrake, imagine your:rolleyes whole dvd library at your fingertips...right now i have my mac mini set up to the tv but i would rather use Appletv for all my media. I can't wait to have that kind of control over all of my media through my home entertainment system.

But i guess everybody has there own ideas of what apple tv should be.........:rolleyes:

Peace
Feb 19, 2007, 12:46 PM
I don't understand why people say this is "useless or i don't see the point" I've ordered mine already and have begun encoding my dvd collection to h264 using handbrake, imagine your:rolleyes whole dvd library at your fingertips...right now i have my mac mini set up to the tv but i would rather use Appletv for all my media. I can't wait to have that kind of control over all of my media through my home entertainment system.

But i guess everybody has there own ideas of what apple tv should be.........:rolleyes:

What he said.My video library is quit large and ive been converting them for about a month now.

Folks might also want to know that if you have an Elgato product it will work with the :apple: TV and iTunes.

jaw04005
Feb 19, 2007, 01:04 PM
I don't think it's a useless product. I'm just waiting to see if Apple offers HD content on the iTMS.

Digital Skunk
Feb 19, 2007, 01:18 PM
Okay... I think we can all agree that the Apple TV is going to come out. And many of us know that it is pretty useless (even though I still want one...) But where is the rumor. Haven't clicked the link and I know it will probably cool the first time I see it but where is my 12" MBP and my 8 core MacPro with SLI graphics and what not?

Some one send thinksecret or macrumors a message saying that their friends friend told you about a new 27" cinema display or something.

Digital Skunk
Feb 19, 2007, 01:25 PM
I don't think it's a useless product. I'm just waiting to see if Apple offers HD content on the iTMS.

My thoughts exactly. I am hoping that Apple will eventually use 802.11n ans start sending HD content over the web and then update (or if they really have to... upgrade) the Apple TV. I want one only for the reason that is is cool and will be a nice piece of eye candy next to my soon-to-be purchased 50" Plasma HDTV. Other than that the only thing I am going to need this product for is watching my media on my large screen, the stuff that isn't HD already of course.

willxm
Feb 19, 2007, 01:28 PM
Does anyone know if the apple tv will allow you to use the tv as a monitor?

bommai
Feb 19, 2007, 01:43 PM
I've been wondering lately if the Apple TV ship date may be dependent on Apple's progress in other areas-- specifically, the iTunes store.

It seems odd to me that the Apple TV specifically requires a widescreen television when widescreen content isn't available at the iTunes store. Perhaps widescreen content-- or, better yet, real 720p content-- will become available at the same time as the new device?

I think there's still a piece of the puzzle that's missing, and that may be it. I know the movie trailers are available in 720p, but not even Apple could get away with charging $300 for a device designed only for trailers.

Of course widescreen content is available on iTunes store. Even their TV shows are in widescreen (not HD though). I just bought Prison Break "Chicago" episode since I missed it from Fox last Monday. I watched it on my computer and it was widescreen. However, the quality was pretty bad compared to the 720p (True 1280 x 720p) I get through eyeTV Hybrid.

Bonte
Feb 19, 2007, 01:45 PM

I also have a mini setup to my plasma but i can't see much benefit in the Apple TV besides the price. Now i plug in a USB hard disk for extra storage, use some extra plugins for iTunes, download podcast's and also play and rip DVD's. With the :apple: TV i can do no such thing, the networked computer with all the content has to be on and running iTunes. I wonder if a HD connected to the new airport express will be recognized?

fowler.
Feb 19, 2007, 01:52 PM
What he said.My video library is quit large and ive been converting them for about a month now.

Folks might also want to know that if you have an Elgato product it will work with the :apple: TV and iTunes.

You've been able to do this for quite a while with XBMC.

Even plays 720p content. I don't know what an :apple:tv has over that..

adom
Feb 19, 2007, 01:56 PM
who makes that digital tv on apples website is it sony or toshiba?

http://www.apple.com/appletv/

the one with the circular base on the right

Looks like a Bravia mate!

Peace
Feb 19, 2007, 01:57 PM
You've been able to do this for quite a while with XBMC.

Even plays 720p content. I don't know what an :apple:tv has over that..

That's great if you have an XBox.Something that not everybody owns or wants to own.

Spend $400 on the XBox then use XBMC or if you're like me just spend $299 on the :apple: TV :)

artpease
Feb 19, 2007, 02:00 PM
:apple: TV or mini or both? AppleTV is cool, but it's not very feature rich and it's only 720p :(

Please explain "it's only 720p :(" Other than BluRay and HD-DVD, XBox and PS3, where do you get better than 720p content, there is none broadcast. Do you have one of the 1080p HDTVs? If so, what do you watch on it, that is 1080p?

andrewag
Feb 19, 2007, 02:05 PM
It looks very slick! Can't wait to see it in action.

Peace
Feb 19, 2007, 02:15 PM
Please explain "it's only 720p :(" Other than BluRay and HD-DVD, XBox and PS3, where do you get better than 720p content, there is none broadcast. Do you have one of the 1080p HDTVs? If so, what do you watch on it, that is 1080p?

You are correct....

Comcast HD broadcasts in 1080i mpeg-2 as their default. Dishnetwork broadcasts in 720P h.264 as their default stream.
Being a customer with a HDTV I've used both Dish Network and Comcast and to be honost the 720P H.264 looks a heck of a lot better than the mpeg-2 Comcast streams.

As for the producers of content they do it in mostly 720P and sometimes now in 1080P but the latter has not yet become the standard.

operaman
Feb 19, 2007, 02:25 PM

Still makes NO sense. You don't even need an ipod. Those of us with laptops can easily just plug them right into our tv, video projector or anything else and press play in itunes. Why do any of us need iTV? I love macs but this product is bizarre...:confused:

NightStorm
Feb 19, 2007, 02:29 PM
Still makes NO sense. You don't even need an ipod. Those of us with laptops can easily just plug them right into our tv, video projector or anything else and press play in itunes. Why do any of us need iTV? I love macs but this product is bizarre...:confused:
Me? Because I dont want to have to mess with wires and configuration just to watch a movie/listen to music off of my laptop. One cable, always ready. It's call ease of use.

Teddy's
Feb 19, 2007, 02:39 PM
For me, appletv will be the flop of the year. I hope I am wrong anyway.
I was hoping that it would work like the airtunes (wireless router + itunes stream)... NO
I was hoping that it would work the same way as "Front Row"... NO

Why not? WHY WHY WHY!!!???

jsw
Feb 19, 2007, 02:41 PM
I was hoping that it would work like the airtunes (wireless router + itunes stream)... NO

Um... it actually does essentially do those things. It isn't a wireless router, but... it's basically the rest.

NightStorm
Feb 19, 2007, 02:43 PM
Um... it actually does essentially do those things. It isn't a wireless router, but... it's basically the rest.
Yeah, I'm not quite sure what he means either. If he means you need to use the TV to queue songs and whatnot (unlike AirTunes), at least you dont have to run back to your computer everytime you want to make a change!

Teddy's
Feb 19, 2007, 02:48 PM

Do you mean it really works like Front row?:confused:

jsw
Feb 19, 2007, 02:50 PM
Do you mean it really works like Front row?:confused:
As demo'd, it's essentially a new (Leopard?) version of Front Row which can access the content on multiple Macs, so, yeah, it does act a lot like FR - but a newer, better FR.

Feb 19, 2007, 02:53 PM

Why?

Because I want to connect this...

http://www.avatardigital.com/images/ET/DSC_0943.jpg

To this...

http://images.cinemalogue.com/d/673-1/HT_1012.jpg

Without this...

http://iinet.net.au/email/img/news_cable_mess_03_full.png

Teddy's
Feb 19, 2007, 02:57 PM
As demo'd, it's essentially a new (Leopard?) version of Front Row which can access the content on multiple Macs, so, yeah, it does act a lot like FR - but a newer, better FR.

Good! I hope it is.

I don't want to have high hopes about leopard's eye candy but I know its capabilities.

...and I hope apple tv is not a flop!

chukronos
Feb 19, 2007, 03:08 PM
They are going to change the name of the new iPhone to :apple: Phone just like they changed this.

Peace
Feb 19, 2007, 03:10 PM
Why?

To this...

Without this...

Dude that is CLASSIC!!

You should be part of a commercial for the :apple: TV :D

ortuno2k
Feb 19, 2007, 03:16 PM
Yea I also don't see what the big hype is.
I have no use for one. I still have a standard, non-hd, non-flat "CRT-type" Sony TV which works great.

bagleyb
Feb 19, 2007, 03:37 PM
I have an HD camcorder that I'd like to be able to edit content on my iMac, and then play back on my HDTV. :apple: TV makes that possible for a relatively small amount of money.

It sure beats editing, sending it back to tape and hooking the camera up to the TV.

izzle22
Feb 19, 2007, 03:42 PM
I have no use for one. I still have a standard, non-hd, non-flat "CRT-type" Sony TV which works great.

Well. Must be enough hype for all you people who think it's useless to keep reading all these posts and talking about how useless it is. If you think it's useless then move on to a rumor that interests you more and stop complaining. Alot of people still think iPods are useless but they still continue to sell.

Feb 19, 2007, 03:50 PM

There's no point to the above statement other than to parade your personal indifference toward/dislike of the concept as a material flaw in the product design. The two are not the same.

There is a difference between one's personal preferences/needs and the overall usability of a product.

The "hype" is over a product that happens to be extremely useful to certain types of customers. Maybe you're not one of them. Simple as that.

qrayg
Feb 19, 2007, 03:51 PM
Well. Must be enough hype for all you people who think it's useless to keep reading all these posts and talking about how useless it is. If you think it's useless then move on to a rumor that interests you more and stop complaining. Alot of people still think iPods are useless but they still continue to sell.

The AppleTV concept is awesome. The only thing that is useless is that it probably won't have the ability to add your own codecs like you can with a mini. I have a ton of Movies and TV shows that are in AVI or Divx. If AppleTV only plays iTunes content, then it is pretty useless. For a few hundred more $ you can buy a mini and play virtually anything on your TV.

We'll all know for sure in a couple of days whether it's useless or not.

izzle22
Feb 19, 2007, 03:59 PM
The AppleTV concept is awesome. The only thing that is useless is that it probably won't have the ability to add your own codecs like you can with a mini. I have a ton of Movies and TV shows that are in AVI or Divx. If AppleTV only plays iTunes content, then it is pretty useless. For a few hundred more $ you can buy a mini and play virtually anything on your TV.

We'll all know for sure in a couple of days whether it's useless or not.

In a couple of days????? I already KNOW it's not useless. It streams music and photos from my computer without me having to run up and down stairs all night long. It's worth $400 just for that IMO. Oh it also streams movies and podcasts. Oh it's wireless too. Oh shoot a 40gb hard drive thrown in also. And I almost forgot it's made by Apple.

Feb 19, 2007, 03:59 PM

I don't know if you've noticed but AirPort Express DOES NOT act as an AirTunes access point AND a router simultaneously, either. It's either-or... You can switch configurations but it can only do one or the other at any given time.

As for Front Row... how does it not work like Front Row? You can access photos, music, videos and movies with it.

Also, there are detriments to burdening the AppleTV's bandwidth with other wireless traffic that has nothing to do with serving content to the one home entertainment system to which it's physically connected... ESPECIALLY given the high-bandwidth applications such as 720p streaming.

Feb 19, 2007, 04:03 PM
For a few hundred more $ you can buy a mini and play virtually anything on your TV.

For nothing more you can re-rip your content to H.264 and mount it to the well-organized iTunes library instead of relying on the plethora of hacky, crap-ass codecs that exist out there.

What you gain for taking the time to do so is the usability of the AppleTV user interface, the fidelity of H.264, and the ability to access and experience your network's content from your living room.

That's a big net gain, whereas your Mac Mini solution incurs a net loss just to allow superior hardware to access inferior media.

operaman
Feb 19, 2007, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Avatar74
Why?

To this...

Without this...
Ok Avatar, I did laugh my head off with your pictures....however, to those of us with laptops we can easily carry our laptop into the room of our tv and plug one or two wires into my tv and voila....I have itv. Certainly not the additional storage, but I also have a back-up drive for that stuff with wireless access. Your pictures, however, are classic, funny, and certainly apply to your situation. Thanks for responding!:rolleyes:

iMikeT
Feb 19, 2007, 04:23 PM
I wish the :apple:tv had a built-in optical drive. Oh well...

Peace
Feb 19, 2007, 04:24 PM
Ok Avatar, I did laugh my head off with your pictures....however, to those of us with laptops we can easily carry our laptop into the room of our tv and plug ONE wire into my tv and voila....I have itv. Certainly not the additional storage, but I also have a back-up drive for that stuff with wireless access. Your pictures, however, are classic, funny, and certainly apply to your situation. Thanks for responding!:rolleyes:

Unless you have a laptop that has HDMI out you're gonna need more than one wire.

operaman
Feb 19, 2007, 04:33 PM
Unless you have a laptop that has HDMI out you're gonna need more than one wire.

ok two. I would plug in quite a few to not pay $299.....but I suppose for those with desktop computers, it would be better...I have been watching tv shows and movies via my laptop for a year now plugged right into my video projector with one wire and yes, my second wire plugs into my sound port. The picture is clearer than my tivo. and it take two seconds to plug it in. No mess no fuss. Suddenly Apple wants me to pay to avoid plugging in my laptop. I still love apple (I have five operational macs at home already)...

DMann
Feb 19, 2007, 04:58 PM
I wish the :apple:tv had a built-in optical drive. Oh well...

Revision b.

DaveTheGrey
Feb 19, 2007, 04:59 PM
Why?

To this...

Without this...

I had the same idea, but what about AC3 aka Dolby Digital? I didn't spent thousands of Euros for a Home Theatre Sound System to watch DVD rips with streamed stereo sound...

DMann
Feb 19, 2007, 05:02 PM
As long as I can't stream DVDs to the Apple TV it is not more than a paperweight for me... and for that purpose it is a little bit too expensive... ;)

groovebuster

:apple: TV or mini or both? AppleTV is cool, but it's not very feature rich and it's only 720p :(
A mini could be used instead and is only a few hundred more. The mini can browse the internet, act as a PVR, play true HD content, ect.

And what about FrontRow? It seemed surprising to me that Apple created a different interface for the AppleTV. It makes me wonder if they are still going to use the mini or create a branded miniTV that has more advanced features like I mentioned above? Or will they just leave it up to users to figure that out.

I want an AppleTV that can stream my desktop not just iTunes stuff.

The Mini would be the way to go in terms of HDTivo equivalent, Miglia HDTV, and\or
playing DVDs, DivX, Quicktime, VCD, Avi, Disc Images of all kinds, TV downloads, Web
broadcast scheduling, etc. Pop in a 160Gig HD, and you're set with a true HD media center,
gaming center, web-browser, not to mention, a great personal computer. Forget streaming;
download what you want directly from the Web or watch HD DVDs, DivX, etc. directly. Surely,
:apple:TV will eventually evolve with the advent of Leopard, Blu-Ray, availability of HD content,
and new codecs.
We're watchin'...:cool:

izzle22
Feb 19, 2007, 05:28 PM
Ok Avatar, I did laugh my head off with your pictures....however, to those of us with laptops we can easily carry our laptop into the room of our tv and plug one or two wires into my tv and voila....I have itv. Certainly not the additional storage, but I also have a back-up drive for that stuff with wireless access. Your pictures, however, are classic, funny, and certainly apply to your situation. Thanks for responding!:rolleyes:

OK for those of you with laptops you're gonna have to plug it in to your tv every time you want to do this and put it where? On the floor? Or next to the TV? Whatever. I don't want a laptop plugged into my tv all the time or the inconvenience of unplugging and plugging in all the time. tv is a nice inexpensive alternative and its small enough to sit right on top of my dvd player out of sight(allmost) By the way my wife wouldn't be too happy if I take her Macbook Pro away from her everytime I want to watch a movie or look at photos on the tv.

twelve8dotnet
Feb 19, 2007, 05:36 PM
good stuff. about time. big ol' <a href="http://www.thumbwarz.com/index.phtml?snum=4&sterm=Apple%20TV&sims=-&apost=">thumbs up to Apple TV</a>

acearchie
Feb 19, 2007, 06:02 PM
good stuff. about time. big ol' <a href="http://www.thumbwarz.com/index.phtml?snum=4&sterm=Apple%20TV&sims=-&apost=">thumbs up to Apple TV</a>

Dont you mean Thumbs up to :apple: TV? (http://www.thumbwarz.com/topicPage.phtml?topic=Apple%20TV)

bretm
Feb 19, 2007, 06:05 PM
I had the same idea, but what about AC3 aka Dolby Digital? I didn't spent thousands of Euros for a Home Theatre Sound System to watch DVD rips with streamed stereo sound...

I think the appleTV is cool and I see a perfectly good point for it. It's price, as always with Apple, is controversial. But Apple provides the best products at a premium. Not just function, but ease of use, interface, form, etc.

All that said, I can't see why anyone would rip their DVDs with handbrake to put them into the system. The only reason I buy DVDs is for the menus, interface, extra content, extra audio content, and all that. Doesn't ripping them destroy the whole DVD experience? For the same reason I don't buy movies on the internet. They're lacking in extras.

Perus01
Feb 19, 2007, 06:08 PM

It seems that you've been working in vain. There's already a hack to play almost any format on Apple TV without re-encoding all your library. Get a load of this:

http://filmnut.vox.com/

Peace
Feb 19, 2007, 06:16 PM
It seems that you've been working in vain. There's already a hack to play almost any format on Apple TV without re-encoding all your library. Get a load of this:

http://filmnut.vox.com/

Not working in vain because I'm doing HD Dolby stuff..
Try that with QT.

JGowan
Feb 19, 2007, 06:42 PM
Simple Math = No :apple: TV

Peace
Feb 19, 2007, 06:44 PM
Simple Math = No :apple: TV

Simple math but illegal

JGowan
Feb 19, 2007, 06:48 PM
Simple math but illegalKill joy

Digital Skunk
Feb 19, 2007, 07:00 PM
Good! I hope it is.

I don't want to have high hopes about leopard's eye candy but I know its capabilities.

...and I hope apple tv is not a flop!

I hope it isn't a flop either. I also hope that FR takes after the Apple TVs interface. FRs current UI is fine and it works fine as a starter option for playing my media content, but it needs to be a lot more powerful if Apple wants people to actually use it on the regular. It needs to play more media formats and it needs to be much easier to go through FR then the Finder. If I want to listen to music. I open iTunes, go to my "whatever" playlist and then hit the space bar. In FR I have to hit the menu button, click over to music and hit the play button, then click and hit more buttons just to get to my playlist. If I need to get back to the finder I have to hit the menu button like six times or reach over and hit the ESC button.

Give us a slightly more powerful remote and a UI like the one on the Apple TV and I will love FR even more than I love it now.

skoker
Feb 19, 2007, 07:06 PM
Is the link not working for anybody else?

Peace
Feb 19, 2007, 07:12 PM
Is the link not working for anybody else?

What link?

"we are currently updating our site.Check back later"

Looks like Apple busted him

skoker
Feb 19, 2007, 07:13 PM
What link?

Um, the OP of this thread...

MrCrowbar
Feb 19, 2007, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=Avatar74;3370517]Why?

To this...

Without this...
[/QUOTE=Avatar74;3370517]

Lol, I love it. what are those grey titles on the wall on the left? Deflectors?
You should send a mail to apple with those pictures, it would make a great print ad :)

nospleen
Feb 19, 2007, 07:29 PM
I am excited about the Apple TV. I do not like plugging/unplugging my Powerbook all the time when I need/want to hook it up to my TV. It is a convenient way for me to watch The Office. My Tivo is full on Thursday's, so I always watch office on my Pbook instead of my 40" Sony Bravia.

I am also excited to listen to my iTunes music on my Bose surround sound. I understand that I can plug my Pbook in and watch, 'The Office' and I can also hook it up to my Bose or use the Airport Express to listen to my iTunes. But, this is simple and very convenient. So to me, it is well worth the 299.

Also, there was a rumor I read a while back about a new feature in Leopard. It basically allows you to use the Apple TV and your current mac to use your TV as an extra monitor. (without connecting your mac to the TV) This is simply a rumor I read, but I hope it is legit...

Count me in as an excited vote!

whatever
Feb 19, 2007, 07:47 PM
Awesome! Finally someone gets it.

My original post was going to be this sarcastic one: I agree, why would anyone want ?TV? I already have a DVD player....And why would anyone want an useless device like an iPod, doesn't Apple know that everyone already has CD players?

Why?

To this...

Without this...

MikeTheC
Feb 19, 2007, 08:29 PM

No, actually we're the people from the Department of Redundancy Department.

Feb 19, 2007, 08:32 PM
Lol, I love it. what are those grey titles on the wall on the left? Deflectors?
You should send a mail to apple with those pictures, it would make a great print ad :)

In the office? No. Overhead cabinets. I had the desk custom made by a company called Haworth (formerly SMED). The structure of the desk is supported by metal conduits that make the frame and legs, inside which cabling runs can be fit -- rather easily, by way of conduit access panels along every section of frame. There's a TON of cabling in that room but you see little to none of it because it's all in the frame conduits.

Now, the third picture isn't me buried under wire. Just some random dude I found on the internet. I thought it conveyed my point rather well.

Yvan256
Feb 19, 2007, 08:54 PM

Except that iTunes and Quicktime cannot play DivX/XviD files. Yes you can add a CODEC, but I'm pretty sure iTunes won't be sending uncompressed data to the :apple:TV.

Also, :apple:TV lists MPEG-4 and H.264 as compatibility (.mp4 files) but not DivX (which is an .avi wrapper for MPEG-4/MP3, with most pirate rips using VBR MP3, which isn't even allowed by the .avi specs).

Yvan256
Feb 19, 2007, 08:59 PM
That's great if you have an XBox.Something that not everybody owns or wants to own.

Spend $400 on the XBox then use XBMC or if you're like me just spend $299 on the :apple: TV :)

Anyway doesn't that also require a Windows PC with Media Center or something? Not to mention that it probably only supports WMV or something.

Feb 19, 2007, 09:10 PM

Take a look at something here...

http://images.cinemalogue.com/d/646-2/HT_1003a.jpg

This is the back panel of my receiver (obviously)... Notice something?

Notice how few audio interconnects there are? There are many reasons for this... not the least of which is mitigation of EMI/RFI. Now, you'll have to excuse the use of Monster cable... It was oddly the most available half-ass cable there was. I'm not deluded into believing it's miracle cable. It's overpriced crap, but it's the most decently shielded crap readily available around here. In the future, I'm ordering online from either Van Damme Cable (vdctrading.com) or avcable.com.

Note that I essentially have no more than four audio cable feeds... consisting of a total of five cables (three single fiber optic leads and one pair of RCAs). That's it.

I'm working towards completely minimizing my cabling profile while maximizing the use of my network as a backbone for home entertainment... so naturally :apple:TV is extremely appealing to me. Also, where I've noted "AppleTV" I'm currently implementing AirTunes over AirPort Express but will soon be replacing this feed with AppleTV.

Mind you I'm not a gadget-crazy techno-illiterate. I'm running a highly managed network with a business class DSL router, stateful firewall and both inbound and outbound packet filtering, syslog, MAC address authentication, wireless encryption, encrypted directory structures, etc.

But network administration is one thing... I set everything up robustly so I could focus on being productive. A technological solution ideally should be simpler in design than the complex function/result it's designed to achieve. This is the definition of efficiency and solid industrial design. This is why implementing :apple:TV is a natural evolution of the setup I've already begun to grow.

Currently I stream my music over AirTunes but I'd like to do away with using my laptop to access via Music Sharing the bulk of my library which sits on 500 gigabytes of storage in the office. I'd like to access the library directly, and an onscreen UI is an additional measure of usability and simplicity.

I want immediate access to movies, TV programming and music in one interface. I want to make use of my existing computer network's CPU power and nonlinear data storage. I want to do so without messes of cables all over the place. And I want to do so without having a clunky gathering of PC hardware in my living room with a half-ass cable conversion (last I checked, no Mac computer comes equipped with HDMI or component video or the correct hardware/software to produce a normal NTSC or ATSC color gamut).

I had the good ol' VCR-plugged-into-the-Mac-with-15-inch-monitor solution to watch movies... more than ten years ago in college. I'm not in college any more. I don't find elegance in having a computer sitting in the living room when we have technologies such as 802.11 wireless ethernet.

I can see if perhaps what you have is a Mac Mini... but I have two G4 towers and a G4 laptop. Do I want cables coming out of my laptop, strewn across the living room to the TV? No. Do I want to move my office computers into the living room? No. Do I want long stretches of cable running from my office to the living room? No. None of these are elegant, smart solutions. They're hackjobs for folks who use hacky codecs, who get their music and movies from P2P networks and use inelegant software to view their media on small displays less than optimally suited for ATSC/NTSC programming.

What I want is a device that will elegantly bridge my network with my home entertainment system without an unnecessarily convoluted UI to access content.

That is :apple:TV.

Feb 19, 2007, 09:20 PM
Except that iTunes and Quicktime cannot play DivX/XviD files. Yes you can add a CODEC, but I'm pretty sure iTunes won't be sending uncompressed data to the :apple:TV.

Also, :apple:TV lists MPEG-4 and H.264 as compatibility (.mp4 files) but not DivX (which is an .avi wrapper for MPEG-4/MP3, with most pirate rips using VBR MP3, which isn't even allowed by the .avi specs).

Boo hoo. DivX/XviD are older specs that aren't as versatile or efficient compression as H.264... and DivX/XviD are almost exclusively used by people who gain their content from piracy.

Not that I have some moral issue against piracy... I just don't like the fact that it gives MPAA/RIAA armament to lobby Congress to pass bullcrap laws to stifle internet distribution as a whole.

I support legitimate business models of internet distribution such as the iTunes Store because I believe the proliferation of internet distribution for profit will encourage artists to rid themselves of their dependency on the former distro monopoly of the recording industry.

I don't know of a single legitimate source of DivX/XviD content nor do I care to... It's clear that SMPTE, MPEG and other standards organizations have agreement as to the codec of choice and they have spoken quite unanimously in support of H.264.

There has been some question about AC-3 support but I would point out two things:

1. In principle, H.264 can support a number of multichannel configurations and there do exist licensable software solutions from Dolby Laboratories which Apple could integrate to convert multichannel H.264 to AC-3. In the future, other codecs can be supported, or, using H.264 itself the codec is scalar enough to support bitstreams of enough channels that could be converted to Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus.

2. Almost every stereo downmix of AC-3 contains by nature a Dolby Surround analog matrixed surround that can be decoded by a ProLogic II decoder. When AppleTV comes out, the first thing I'd try is switching my receiver to ProLogic II mode to see if the stereo matrixed surround can be decoded. It wouldn't surprise me. I purchased some Isao Tomita stuff off iTunes. He made numerous Dolby Surround recordings, and being an analog format, the stereo matrixed surround was still present in the iTunes AAC files.

#2 is at least a temporary solution until a more robust means of supporting discrete multichannel is implemented into the H.264 bistream in files distributed by iTunes Store. In principle, it should only be a firmware/software update in iTunes and in the AppleTV to support it.

swingerofbirch
Feb 19, 2007, 09:41 PM
For all those asking exactly what is Apple TV I think I have some examples which might help.

Apple TV is just like AirPort Express, except that you can't use Apple TV to connect to a printer. Also unlike Airport Express, Apple TV can output both audio AND video from iTunes, while Airport Express outputs only audio. Also unlike Apple TV, Airport Express does not have a 40 GB hard disk.

Another way of looking at Apple TV is to compare it to the Nintendo Wii. Both the Wii and Apple TV connect to your television and use a remote control. Unlike Nintendo Wii, Apple TV cannot be used to play games. And unlike Apple TV, Nintendo Wii has a remote which is motion sensitive. Nintendo Wii, unlike Apple TV, does not stream iTunes conntent to your television. And finally Apple TV, unlike Nintendo Wii, does not provide access to the web through your TV.

If there are any household appliances you are familiar with and would like me to compare Apple TV to please let me know.

Apple TV: A product for the rest of us!

PetMac
Feb 19, 2007, 11:48 PM
I think most of you are not looking at the potential of this product. The average poster here is not a mainstream customer.

This product potentially allows Joe Customer to access all of their digital meida though a simple interface accessable though their primary TV and other outlets down the road. It may replace the need for hard media. As a parent I would love to have all of our media in a central hub accessible through multiple outlets ie TV''s, iphones, ipods, Laptops, MacPads or whatever. I've thrown away too many destroyed DVD's already.

I think we have to change the way we think about media. That's what ?TV is all about. Sure it doesn't suppport the resolution we want yet but it will.

Sure you can hook up laptop, I've done it many times, but as the resolution increases so will the file size. Do you really want to keep all that media on your Laptop HD all the time. We will want a central hub, maybe an iHome Station to access the web, store our media, connect to our Pads, Laptops, etc.

I enjoy browsing these threads but what I commonly see is people not thinking outside the box. Its not about what you want tomorrow but what you will be using Five years from now. I remember buying a Blue iBook because it had a new wireless internet feature. That was what Six years ago. No other computer company was pushing, yet alone integrating Wi-Fi back then, just Apple. That is what we are looking at here. A hub computing platform that is accessible through your ?TV, your laptop, and that jaw dropping product that we haven't seen yet. I can't wait!

Digital Skunk
Feb 19, 2007, 11:49 PM
Take a look at something here...

http://images.cinemalogue.com/d/646-2/HT_1003a.jpg

This is the back panel of my receiver (obviously)... Notice something?

Notice how few audio interconnects there are? There are many reasons for this... not the least of which is mitigation of EMI/RFI. Now, you'll have to excuse the use of Monster cable... It was oddly the most available half-ass cable there was. I'm not deluded into believing it's miracle cable. It's overpriced crap, but it's the most decently shielded crap readily available around here. In the future, I'm ordering online from either Van Damme Cable (vdctrading.com) or avcable.com.

Note that I essentially have no more than four audio cable feeds... consisting of a total of five cables (three single fiber optic leads and one pair of RCAs). That's it.

I'm working towards completely minimizing my cabling profile while maximizing the use of my network as a backbone for home entertainment... so naturally :apple:TV is extremely appealing to me. Also, where I've noted "AppleTV" I'm currently implementing AirTunes over AirPort Express but will soon be replacing this feed with AppleTV.

Mind you I'm not a gadget-crazy techno-illiterate. I'm running a highly managed network with a business class DSL router, stateful firewall and both inbound and outbound packet filtering, syslog, MAC address authentication, wireless encryption, encrypted directory structures, etc.

But network administration is one thing... I set everything up robustly so I could focus on being productive. A technological solution ideally should be simpler in design than the complex function/result it's designed to achieve. This is the definition of efficiency and solid industrial design. This is why implementing :apple:TV is a natural evolution of the setup I've already begun to grow.

Currently I stream my music over AirTunes but I'd like to do away with using my laptop to access via Music Sharing the bulk of my library which sits on 500 gigabytes of storage in the office. I'd like to access the library directly, and an onscreen UI is an additional measure of usability and simplicity.

I want immediate access to movies, TV programming and music in one interface. I want to make use of my existing computer network's CPU power and nonlinear data storage. I want to do so without messes of cables all over the place. And I want to do so without having a clunky gathering of PC hardware in my living room with a half-ass cable conversion (last I checked, no Mac computer comes equipped with HDMI or component video or the correct hardware/software to produce a normal NTSC or ATSC color gamut).

I had the good ol' VCR-plugged-into-the-Mac-with-15-inch-monitor solution to watch movies... more than ten years ago in college. I'm not in college any more. I don't find elegance in having a computer sitting in the living room when we have technologies such as 802.11 wireless ethernet.

I can see if perhaps what you have is a Mac Mini... but I have two G4 towers and a G4 laptop. Do I want cables coming out of my laptop, strewn across the living room to the TV? No. Do I want to move my office computers into the living room? No. Do I want long stretches of cable running from my office to the living room? No. None of these are elegant, smart solutions. They're hackjobs for folks who use hacky codecs, who get their music and movies from P2P networks and use inelegant software to view their media on small displays less than optimally suited for ATSC/NTSC programming.

What I want is a device that will elegantly bridge my network with my home entertainment system without an unnecessarily convoluted UI to access content.

That is :apple:TV.

Man... you have no idea what you are talking about. :mad: You wouldn't know an :apple: TV if it was thrown upside your head.

Naw just kidding :D ... If I am ever on "Who wants to be a Millionaire" and they ask me a question about that stuff I am going to call you. Well said and supports us average consumers desires to get an Apple TV. I want to do about half of what you want to do, but I still want to do it with elegance and ease. Thanks for the intelligent info :D

jimsowden
Feb 20, 2007, 12:26 AM

You should use mediafork. They have such a better implimentation of h.264. It seems like handbreak chokes on a 640x480 h.264 (maini profile) at about 1300kbps, and at 800 using low profile in media fork (which will play on the iPod too) it looks great.

inkswamp
Feb 20, 2007, 12:58 AM
What I don't get about :apple:TV is why there isn't a DVD slot on the front of the thing. If it could playback DVDs/CDs, I would gladly replace the DVD player I have now. As it is, I can't justify it as it seems like a rich kid toy and entirely unnecessary for my needs.

Apple needs to use this thing to kick ass in the DVD player market the same way they did with the music player market. The last 3 DVD players I've bought (all of varying prices) have sucked. I'm desperately tired of lousy UI of DVD players (such as they are) and the ridiculous complexity of the remotes. Just the "resume where I last left off" feature and the Front Row-like stuff would be reason alone for me to buy it. I hate sitting through the endless intro screens every time I pop in a DVD.

Perhaps a future revision of :apple:TV will include a DVD slot and when that comes, you can count me in. Until then, it's barely useful to me and (I suspect) most people out there.

TheNightPhoenix
Feb 20, 2007, 03:22 AM
I don't know if you've noticed but AirPort Express DOES NOT act as an AirTunes access point AND a router simultaneously, either. It's either-or... You can switch configurations but it can only do one or the other at any given time.

What?!?!?! I use an express as my only router and play music through my stereo at the same time?

TheNightPhoenix
Feb 20, 2007, 03:25 AM
Anyway doesn't that also require a Windows PC with Media Center or something? Not to mention that it probably only supports WMV or something.

You can use a mac with a plug-in and i have to say it works rather well.
But it does only supports WMV.

swishfish
Feb 20, 2007, 07:19 AM

I'm with you on your front row points, but my Airport Express can definitely stream music and act as a router simultaneously. I do it all the time.

mrrory
Feb 20, 2007, 07:24 AM
Where have you been? It's common knowledge that if iTunes can play it, so can :apple:TV. Not only was that announced at MacWorld, but their website also clearly states it (http://www.apple.com/appletv/sync.html). A little hostile perhaps? From what I could see it states you need a widescreen TV. I'll be glad if it works on my regular TV though, I'm sick of streaming to my PowerBook.

Feb 20, 2007, 07:36 AM
A little hostile perhaps? From what I could see it states you need a widescreen TV. I'll be glad if it works on my regular TV though, I'm sick of streaming to my PowerBook.

Hmm... couple of people have stated this now. Maybe I'm thinking of the WDS mode where it becomes an extended wireless access point. I don't use my AirPort Express as a router (and I never would) as I use a full-blown business class router... so, either way, I'm not really concerned.

I guess people want AppleTV to be everything in one box and I have some trouble with that because invariably the one-size-fits-all never does. AirPort Express doesn't take the place of a business class router and stateful firewall for a network of four computers and an HP Laserjet network printer.

EDIT: I never actually said "router"... I looked back and in my original post I said "access point". Different thing. So, in fact, no... AirPort Express doesn't act as an access point. I already had a router when it came out, so I don't need to use it as one... but I can't use it as an access point to extend the range of my wireless LAN *and* use it as an AirTunes station at the same time.

Digital Skunk
Feb 20, 2007, 08:03 AM
What I don't get about :apple:TV is why there isn't a DVD slot on the front of the thing. If it could playback DVDs/CDs, I would gladly replace the DVD player I have now. As it is, I can't justify it as it seems like a rich kid toy and entirely unnecessary for my needs.

Apple needs to use this thing to kick ass in the DVD player market the same way they did with the music player market. The last 3 DVD players I've bought (all of varying prices) have sucked. I'm desperately tired of lousy UI of DVD players (such as they are) and the ridiculous complexity of the remotes. Just the "resume where I last left off" feature and the Front Row-like stuff would be reason alone for me to buy it. I hate sitting through the endless intro screens every time I pop in a DVD.

Perhaps a future revision of :apple:TV will include a DVD slot and when that comes, you can count me in. Until then, it's barely useful to me and (I suspect) most people out there.

Yeah... I said the same thing with the iPod. I didn't understand why it didn't come with a CD slot. And it looked like some kind of rich boy kid toy to me too. If I could play my hundreds of CDs on the iPod or import CDs directly to the iPod then I would have bought one. :D

Just kidding again as ussual. I do see where you are coming from and it would have been nice to have a DVD player option on the Apple TV and I pretty sure many people would have bought it just for that. But another poster said that he is tired of buying hard media. Once you scratch a disk its over. Once you buy a scratched disk from Red Box your a pissed off customer. What Apple really needs to do is start movie rentals on iTunes. Then you can rent a movie for $1.00 (hopefully cheaper) and have it streamed to your :apple: TV or iPod. And since the media format is changing, DVDs will be obsolete soon; replaced by Blueray and HD-DVD.

I think Apple may have considered those options when leaving out the DVD player. And the price as well.

skinnylegs
Feb 20, 2007, 08:27 AM
I purchased an Apple TV the same day they hit the Apple Store.....

I don't think this device has the same general appeal as, for instance, the iPod but that doesn't mean it has no value. For a guy like me, it is an awesome addition to my exisiting a/v system. I have a substantial music collection (in iTunes) as well as digital photos (in iPhoto) and being able to stream this content to my living room a/v system really appeals to me. Quite frequently, I have family or friends come over to the house and it would be great to be able to look through pictures or listen to music while relaxing on the couch as opposed to huddling around a computer monitor.

It is precisely because of products like Apple TV that I "switched" several months ago. Now let's unleash the beast (Leopard).......

williedigital
Feb 20, 2007, 08:30 AM

See, you're still thinking 20th century. Nobody wants a parlor for their house any more. Domiciles are becoming unified with no more arbitrary delineations of space. Your goal should be to cut out the "entertainment room" and make your "computing room" somewhere you want to live. Think different.

TheNightPhoenix
Feb 20, 2007, 08:39 AM
AirPort Express doesn't take the place of a business class router and stateful firewall for a network of four computers and an HP Laserjet network printer.

Apart from the firewall what does a business class router provide above the Express? Does it have a better range? We use an airport express at work for a next work of 8 machines and a HP laserjet. I just wondered why you think the express would not be up to the task.

Feb 20, 2007, 09:17 AM
Apart from the firewall what does a business class router provide above the Express? Does it have a better range? We use an airport express at work for a next work of 8 machines and a HP laserjet. I just wondered why you think the express would not be up to the task.

Well, the SPI firewall (which is ICSA-certified) is integrated... so that is the biggest thing. I have inbound and outbound SPI filtering... that is to say I have an implicit deny-deny all rule for both inbound and outbound traffic and I set up rulebases covering every every inbound and outbound service.

The router I already have is a four port with a fifth for uplink to the DSL router. Additionally, the firewall provides netflow and syslog. There's also detailed WLAN management options, RIP, MAC address authentication, routing tables, DoS attack mitigation, intrusion detection w/logging and alerts, e-mail alert via POP, dropped packet logging, VPN passthrough, IPSec, port forwarding, DMZ, DB-9 and RS-232 ports for ISDN/dialup backup connection, etc.

I purchased this router when Apple didn't have a comparable solution with as complex an integrated firewall (and they still don't). This cost me about what the Airport Extreme base station costs... nevermind the AirPort Express. But you might have been assuming I had wireless network cards for all my computers.

Feb 20, 2007, 09:43 AM
See, you're still thinking 20th century. Nobody wants a parlor for their house any more. Domiciles are becoming unified with no more arbitrary delineations of space. Your goal should be to cut out the "entertainment room" and make your "computing room" somewhere you want to live. Think different.

From "Family Guy":

Guy in Chicken Suit: Enjoy your chicken sandwich.
Stewie: Enjoy your studio apartment.

KingofAwesome
Feb 20, 2007, 03:04 PM

Do you complain when people are interested in a new wireless phone because you still have a corded rotary phone that still works?

And what's with all this fuss about broadband? The local community college's BBS works just fine with a 14.4 modem, and why would you need the connection to be on if you aren't actually using it?

Meanwhile, over here where contributors have an actual interest in the product being discussed... I'm looking forward to :apple:TV. It would seem like it's missing some features, but Apple has had a good track record with keeping a minimal interface and feature set without making the product feel like it is missing something important. I resisted the iPod at first because I thought the interface would be too limited. I resisted Macs at first because I thought the inability to get under the hood (like with the registry in Windows) would be too frustrating. Yet they both turned out to work beautifully for my needs, and have changed the way I listen to music and use computers. I hope :apple:TV can do the same (but I'm still waiting for some revisions before I get one).

qrayg
Feb 20, 2007, 03:40 PM
For nothing more you can re-rip your content to H.264 and mount it to the well-organized iTunes library instead of relying on the plethora of hacky, crap-ass codecs that exist out there.

Maybe it's nothing to you but for me time is money. I don't have the time to re-rip my entire DVD collection again just so I can play it through iTunes. If :apple: was smart they would make Quicktime play all formats through a simple auto codec download system. We all know the answer to that though.

Money grubbing != smart

Maccus Aurelius
Feb 21, 2007, 01:05 PM
This device is designed specifically to be an extension of your iTunes library. If you don't have an iTunes library then this device is pointless. But for people like me who have dozens (yes dozens) of movies ripped into H.264 or MPEG-4 format then this thing would serve you quite well. I myself will probably not get one since I have a modest flatscreen that my girlfriend would rather not part with, and it works superbly with my iPod on the dock connected with the video cable. Of course it doesn't have the nice interface like ATV does, but it works nonetheless and we're both happy with it. Thing is the ATV is really not that pricey. $300 is really not a lot of money, and I don't even make that much. If I had the proper television set I would've ordered one already, but I just bought an 80GB iPod instead :D

TurnerMan
Feb 21, 2007, 03:00 PM
I'm considering using the :apple:TV to stream DVDs encoded with handbrake to my 52" HDTV. I have over 300 DVDs and it would be extremely easy to choose the title I want to view from the :apple:TV instead of searching through my DVD collection EVERY TIME I want to view one. Also, my children tend to get their little fingers on discs that they love to watch - :apple:TV would take that away and keep them in check. I do have some questions, though:

1. Using HandBrake, what is the average resulting file size that will provide DVD-like quality for single- and dual-layer movies?
2. Will the movies remain in widescreen format?
3. Using the H.264, audio compression, will the audo suffer or sound as good as the original DVD?
4. How do you watch TV on the :apple:TV? Prerecorded shows available online or are you required to purchase subscriptions from iTunes? I saw no inputs for cable or composite cables.

This may be a cost-effective solution for me to archive all of my DVDs and get rid of the unsightly storage rack. Any information to assist me with my decision to buy would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

imacdaddy
Feb 21, 2007, 09:36 PM
I've been looking for something to justify buying the :apple: tv...and now there's one to finally convince my Wife!!! :D

I can endcode all her Karaoke DVD/VCD (song by song) and stream it on this thing!!! The thing she hates most is to look through all her DVD/VCD collection, chose a song, eject, replace disk, close, wait, chose song from DVD menu, wait, sing song, look through her DVD/VCD collection, chose a song... Just imagine when we have friends over. We spend most of our time passing the DVD/VCD cases around and me sitting by the DVD player getting ready to replace the next disk! Oh what fun! And the mess afterwards! :mad: Some of her disks are unplayable from all the wear and tear, and my poor DVD player getting an extensive workout. :(

With :apple: tv, I can encode everything and all can be viewed and arranged in FR (by Artist/Song/Playlist)! Just AWESOME!!! Like we're in a Karaoke bar. When we have company, I can control the entertainment from a single unit, from Movies, Music, Photos and now...Karaoke! Mwuahahahaha :D

mrat93
Feb 22, 2007, 08:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kATq7qD5i28&NR

Looks legit to me.

elppa
Feb 23, 2007, 09:12 AM

Looks legit to me.

I'm not so sure, as they cut it before the switching off effect we see in the screenshots..

My bet they just pulled the flash animation from apple.com

actuality
Feb 24, 2007, 05:32 PM
I'm not so sure, as they cut it before the switching off effect we see in the screenshots..

My bet they just pulled the flash animation from apple.com

Agreed - the caption on YouTube "L'intro della pagina web" is italian for "The intro from the web page"

M@t :o)

lamina
Feb 24, 2007, 05:43 PM

Looks legit to me.

That is flippin' sweet. Imagine that in HD.

iJon
Feb 26, 2007, 03:18 PM
CNBC just announced that Apple is delaying the Apple TV till mid March. Don't have a link at the moment.

jon

DMann
Feb 26, 2007, 03:28 PM
CNBC just announced that Apple is delaying the Apple TV till mid March. Don't have a link at the moment.

jon

Perhaps this will coincide with another release......:rolleyes:

JOE40
Mar 23, 2007, 08:47 AM
(1) About 700mb to 2.5 gig depending on quality. Most of what I rip is 1.5 to 2gigabytes for each movie
(2) Yes
(3) Usually sound quality is fine.
(4) My understanding is there is no F-style or Yellow RCA-type composite output connector, There is no S-video output connector either. You must have either HDMI or Component (Red, Blue Green) video inputs on your TV. You cannot connect this unit to a cable box and then to your TV either.
(5) No word yet on whether it plays ripped dvd's (from the harddrive of a Mac or PC). I'm sure someone will try very soon.
(6) The Pixel Magic MB100 or MB200 Media box does have the outputs mentioned in #4 above, works directly with normal standard definition 4x3 TV's as well as High Def TV's up to 1080i. It also plays ripped dvd's for sure. Much more expensive than the AppleTV, but also available with up to a 750gig hard drive and "supports all the most popular formats including MPEG 1/2/4, WMV9, DivX™ and XviD, as well as DVD .ISO and .VOB files" as well. When adding a hard drive to the box you have to configure it from a Windows PC with NTFS. This box also supports hard drives connected via it's two USB ports. You can also plug it directy into a PC to transfer files to it like a regular USB external hard drive.

I'm considering using the :apple:TV to stream DVDs encoded with handbrake to my 52" HDTV. I have over 300 DVDs and it would be extremely easy to choose the title I want to view from the :apple:TV instead of searching through my DVD collection EVERY TIME I want to view one. Also, my children tend to get their little fingers on discs that they love to watch - :apple:TV would take that away and keep them in check. I do have some questions, though:

1. Using HandBrake, what is the average resulting file size that will provide DVD-like quality for single- and dual-layer movies?
2. Will the movies remain in widescreen format?
3. Using the H.264, audio compression, will the audo suffer or sound as good as the original DVD?
4. How do you watch TV on the :apple:TV? Prerecorded shows available online or are you required to purchase subscriptions from iTunes? I saw no inputs for cable or composite cables.

This may be a cost-effective solution for me to archive all of my DVDs and get rid of the unsightly storage rack. Any information to assist me with my decision to buy would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cintos
Mar 24, 2007, 09:11 AM
OK for those of you with laptops you're gonna have to plug it in to your tv every time you want to do this and put it where? On the floor? Or next to the TV? Whatever. I don't want a laptop plugged into my tv all the time or the inconvenience of unplugging and plugging in all the time. ?tv is a nice inexpensive alternative and its small enough to sit right on top of my dvd player out of sight(allmost) By the way my wife wouldn't be too happy if I take her Macbook Pro away from her everytime I want to watch a movie or look at photos on the tv.

Exactly.

I installed my new Apple TV last night, and everything positive said about that experience is true. Configuration: Home Office MMD G4 "always on" server hardwired to New Airport Extreme. Internet via Cable modem on Airport (another fantastic product, btw). Apple TV via Extreme "n", one floor down. Wife's Macbook transportable as 2nd iTunes source - n connected. TV is RCA direct view (Tube) 42" HD set, with built in DirectTV tuner.

To the point of the "options" route, I have experience there. Previously I used a KDS KD-VTCA3 converter to get my Powerbook connected to the HDTV via Component Video. (I will be putting that device on eBay shortly:) ) Connecting as a "monitor" presents many inconveniences - overscan, positioning windows where you want them, everthing izzie22 mentioned about placing that Powerbook. Even if you have a good place, it has to be powered up and open with the screen on. I had done this to present iPhoto slideshows, and it did work well and offered georgeous views of photos. But compared to the accessibility offed by Apple TV, it was not user friendly at all.

From what i have seen in the lst 12 hours, I predict the Apple TV will be a huge positive for Apple and iTunes.

Tech hint number one: If you have hardwire or n networking, don't bother synching with audi content, same for video. Save the storage for iPhoto content. My first attempt with all synching turned on filled the drive with movies, TV shows, then topped up with most of the audio. Photos did not synch at all, as the box was out of room by then. I reset my TV shows to "last 5 not viewed", and selected a handful of audio playlists for chuckles. When the synch nominations are changed, iTunes and Apple TV converse and "erase" the unwanted content from the hard drive immediately. Once space was opened up, iPhoto synching began. Again, I had selected a subset of the photo library by selecting "from selected albums" and checked a significant number of my alubms. Now the capacity graph bar reads 5.19 GB Video, 3.60GB Audio and 1.67GB Photos. Free space listed at 22.41.

Tech Tip # 2: I read that HDMI connect is automatic, but when connecting via Component Video, it was necessary in my case to command the unit to cycle among available scan rates untill my TV found one it could synch to. That process is documentd in the manual: Press and hold pause/play and + for six seconds. When a viewable picture is press pause/play. I am running at 1080i.

Surprise: Access to Apple-maintained list of Movie Trailers right from the menu. They are displayed, annotated and lauched with no fuss. Streeming directly from the internet, they ran flawlesly in wide screen HD.

Summary: the graphics and interfaces are georgeous. iTunes TV shows and movies present with the clarity I have been getting with DVDs or Direct TV HD shows.

And my wife can navigate it without me fussing for 15 min getting the laptop set up.