Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
ThinkSecret reports that according to their sources, Apple is considering Organic Light-Emitting Diode (OLED) technology and is planning on using it as early as next year in upcoming iPods -- with possible expansion into displays and laptops later on.

OLED technology has received a lot of attention this past year -- with many speculating their uses in future Apple hardware. This is the first evidence, however, that Apple may use this technology in the future.

joed

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2002
Budapest, Hungary
Very excited when I read that on Think Secret. Interesting rumor!

Hope it's true. Wonder if Apple's also been looking at the e-ink alternatives?

Bring it on I say :)

James.

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Organic LEDs?

That's an interesting thought, I think I'm more interested in that than their relationship to Apple.

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
I think that there's just too much going on for the 23rd for us to be worried about NEXT year. But, as far as dreaming goes, that would be sweet! I'd like to see a screen that looks something to the effect of the game boy stuff - you know, color and hi res (though I know it would be a battery drainer.

stompy

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by Wardofsky
Organic LEDs?

That's an interesting thought, I think I'm more interested in that than their relationship to Apple.

I believe Kodak uses their home grown OLED in some of their cameras. (Too lazy to look up which ones.)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
OLEDs will eventually replace LCDs - they're cheaper to make, better and use less power. Also, since they don't have a glass layer like LCDs, you can roll them up....;)

I think this a great move for Apple and it will allow them to have color screens on the iPod - which means that you might have more functionality on the iPod.

Imagine a 3" screen to view images and movies on?

D

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson

D

I already have the 3" screen to view images and movies on, on my camcorder. That doesn't mean I want to watch the stuff I recorded with the camcorder _on_ the camcorder...

<edit> realized I didn't stay on topic - This would be great news for the ipod, and even better news for laptops. battery life being extended on both products would be nothing but a good thing IMO. <end edit>

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Mudbug
I already have the 3" screen to view images and movies on, on my camcorder. That doesn't mean I want to watch the stuff I recorded with the camcorder _on_ the camcorder...

<edit> realized I didn't stay on topic - This would be great news for the ipod, and even better news for laptops. battery life being extended on both products would be nothing but a good thing IMO. <end edit>

Ah, but those are your own movies ;)

How many could you hold on an iPod?

And what if it had a video out? TV is just 640x480 res - 10 movies in your pocket?

D

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
I don't know if any of you guys have seen an OLED display in person, but I have and they are amazing. They compare niclely to HD IMHO. The colors and the contrast were awsome and I stood just about 180 degrees to the side and I could still see it. OLED is the future of small displays. I haven't seen or heard of a 23" cimema OLED display, so I don't know how good they would be in this environment. Having a OLED screen for an iPod would be a good move.

P.S. The size of the OLED screen I saw was about 6" diagonal, give or take. I don't remember the manufactuer's name (didn't see it anywhere on the product).

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
This would be really amazing. I'm really looking forward to seeing what different companies (especially Apple) will do with more organic materials. This screen could save battery power on the iPod and laptops (if I'm reading it right). Anyone have any estimates on how much more time it would add to the battery of an iPod? To get slightly off topic, what I'm more interested in when it comes to this subject is the DNA processor. I've read a little here and there about it in different science magazines, though nothing within the past few months. THAT will be a sight to behold, your computer using A, T, G, C (U if they use RNA, as well). *shiver*

By the way, thanks for the OLED Tutorial link arn. Little things like that, along with the general demeanor of this site, are why its my favorite rumor site.

Tim Flynn

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Alberta
OLEDs will eventually replace LCDs - they're cheaper to make, better and use less power. Also, since they don't have a glass layer like LCDs, you can roll them up....;)
D

They are not cheaper (yet). OLEDs use more power than LCD. OLEDs are transmissive, hence need power.
But .... the view is way more cool than a LCD.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Originally posted by Laslo Panaflex
I don't know if any of you guys have seen an OLED display in person, but I have and they are amazing. They compare niclely to HD IMHO. The colors and the contrast were awsome and I stood just about 180 degrees to the side and I could still see it. OLED is the future of small displays. I haven't seen or heard of a 23" cimema OLED display, so I don't know how good they would be in this environment. Having a OLED screen for an iPod would be a good move.

P.S. The size of the OLED screen I saw was about 6" diagonal, give or take. I don't remember the manufactuer's name (didn't see it anywhere on the product).

But what was the product you saw it on? That's a pretty big screen for a consumer product...

dxp4acu

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Texas
My cell-phone has OLEDs. It is the first I think that does. It's a Motorola Timeport something or other. I still always get comments about how cool and bright they look- even after 2 years of owning the phone!!

They are pretty amazing.

Black Badger

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2003
Things are falling into place....

Apple will probably be the first manufacturer to sell large (>15") OLED displays.
Why? Apple currently use a company called Chi Mei Optoelectronics (CMO) in Taiwan for their 20 inch display and I think the iMac displays, CMO have an joint venture company called IDTech in Japan who have this March shown a working 20" OLED prototype (see here). The other partner in IDTech is none other than IBM (see here), who are in with Apple, so this makes a nice triangle there where all parties are quite closely connected to each other.

This is all speculation but it does all fit quite nicely, so maybe this time next year not only will Mac users have a next generation machine, they might just have a next generation display to go with it

altivec 2003

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2003
Texas
Originally posted by dxp4acu
My cell-phone has OLEDs. It is the first I think that does. It's a Motorola Timeport something or other. I still always get comments about how cool and bright they look- even after 2 years of owning the phone!!

They are pretty amazing.

This is a little off topic but..... I don't have one, but i have heard that the back light on the gameboy advance was terrible. This might be a good substitute. If they really are that cheap, maybe i can finally afford an apple cinema displeay :eek::cool:

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001

I think this a great move for Apple and it will allow them to have color screens on the iPod - which means that you might have more functionality on the iPod.

D

You forgot plasma screens, OLED is what we will be watching TV on in the next few years.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Tim Flynn
They are not cheaper (yet). OLEDs use more power than LCD. OLEDs are transmissive, hence need power.
But .... the view is way more cool than a LCD.

from the overview:

OLED displays are touted as the wave of the future because of their potential as thinner, lighter, brighter, and more durable screens. Unlike LCDs, which block or pass light through their layers, OLED displays use organic phosphors to generate their own light in a process called electroluminescence. Consequently, no power-draining backlighting is necessary.

They are brighter, thinner, and lighter than LCDs, and do not require a backlight. OLED's have a wider viewing angle, faster response time for video, and greater power efficiency than LCDs.

Now, maybe they're more efficient, that would seem to me that they'd take less power than an LCD.

In the case of an iPod, though, with a mono LCD, it might take less than a color OLED since it requires 3 transistors for each pixel and not one.

But regardless - for a color display, an OLED will draw less than a comperable LCD.

D

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I've seen the mockups for large screens. Forget everything you've ever thought about LCDs, CRTs in the past.... Imagine watching your 36" tv screen - and then rolling it up and taking it to grandma's with the kids for the weekend!

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
gameboy

the gameboy advance SP doesn't use a backlight... it's in front of the screen with an optical reflecting sheet across the lens that distibutes the light across the screen evenly, and no it's not that great.

technocoy;)

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Could this be the thinking behind the "stereoscopic" displays we heard about a little while back? Maybe having a few layers of the OLED's stacked on each other with a common backlight would give the visual realism of 3D depth - just a thought. Lower power consumption per panel than LCD would mean more umph in multiple without having a new power brick to sit on the floor.

altivec 2003

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2003
Texas
Re: gameboy

Originally posted by technocoy
the gameboy advance SP doesn't use a backlight... it's in front of the screen with an optical reflecting sheet across the lens that distibutes the light across the screen evenly, and no it's not that great.

technocoy;)
Oh, i have heard of the SP, but I don't follow consoles too closely. I guess the OLEDS would still work better in that case from what you say. Also if they are more power efficient it could mean better battery life. Oh well. I would rather see a cheaper cinema display or an ipod with longer battery life than a gameboy cause my parents have a policy of "NO GAMING CONSOLES". Thats why i have a playstation emulator. Well, anyway... that was way off topic. Sorry.

[edit]I guess i cant type :rolleyes: [/edit]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.